• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falcon CHAT! The Captain Falcon Social Thread

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you want to get good at reading you need to watch carefully your opponent and understand their flowchart.

Like, what do they do when they miss a tech ? Roll ? Attack ? Same at the ledge, you have to find out what are their reaction to given situations.

Themeatgrinder

Smash Cadet
NNID
Badboi117
3DS FC
0130-2293-8436
If you want to get good at reading you need to watch carefully your opponent and understand their flowchart.

Like, what do they do when they miss a tech ? Roll ? Attack ? Same at the ledge, you have to find out what are their reaction to given situations.
Yup pay attention to what they do and then punish them if they don't react carefully/get too predictable in their reactions

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
So to read, you predict something as a result of previous habits...Well time to hit the books lab.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Not perferably smash related, but I'm excited for Mario Kart 8's Big Blue track on Thursday. Can't wait to see all the F-Zero references!

And hopfully we'll see a new F-Zero game soon...

Last edited:

Kluft

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kluft-f-zero
Best Remix of Big Blue I have heard in a long time.

Kluft

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kluft-f-zero
Yeah, sax works really well for this. In fact, there was a whole jazz album of F-Zero covers, released years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCHvhRfF5Yg&index=1&list=PL2FBDA06AEC91E3BA

It's mostly mediocre, imo, but just something that surprisingly has precedent.
I already said this in the F-Zero Remix Corner but I am surprised that there are not Remixes from GX in general:

The fact that even Captain Falcon's Theme doesn't have a Remix is a crime.
EDIT: Preferably without Vocals

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I already said this in the F-Zero Remix Corner but I am surprised that there are not Remixes from GX in general:

The fact that even Captain Falcon's Theme doesn't have a Remix is a crime.
Meh, I think GX has the worst music in the series (albeit still with plenty of good tracks), and I think Captain Falcon's theme is embarrassingly bad, but to each his own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mostly, I just want a new F-Zero. I think we can all agree on that. I have a hunch that Nintendo would probably go with a music direction more along the lines of F-Zero (SNES) and art direction along the lines of F-Zero X, but maybe that's just wishful thinking (because I think a combination of the two would be ultra-rad). One thing's for sure, the GX engine really doesn't even need to be changed. But Sega may have held on to that, I don't know (I think it was based on the Monkey Ball engine). Software patents are tricky.

If Nintendo doesn't have access to that, developing a slightly easier game than GX might be wise on Nintendo's part. Or maybe keep it ultra hard and hope it gains traction like the Souls games? It's hard to say. Not much has made the series stick, sadly. :(

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The music from GX was okay because it was mostly fitting the ideal "ultra retro futuristic race championship" setup the F zero series have tried to give us. Only certain track musics don't fit imo, but the rest is spot on.

And I hate to break it to you, but there's already a zero gravity racing game on the Wii U, which already stars the blue falcon and the Big Blue track. And on top of everything it's just getting a mode to go faster, so the niche that F Zero is supposed to fill slowly becomes smaller and smaller.

Kluft

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kluft-f-zero
Meh, I think GX has the worst music in the series (albeit still with plenty of good tracks), and I think Captain Falcon's theme is embarrassingly bad, but to each his own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess it falls into the "it's so bad it's good" categorie for me.

Mostly, I just want a new F-Zero. I think we can all agree on that. I have a hunch that Nintendo would probably go with a music direction more along the lines of F-Zero (SNES) and art direction along the lines of F-Zero X, but maybe that's just wishful thinking (because I think a combination of the two would be ultra-rad). One thing's for sure, the GX engine really doesn't even need to be changed. But Sega may have held on to that, I don't know (I think it was based on the Monkey Ball engine). Software patents are tricky.

If Nintendo doesn't have access to that, developing a slightly easier game than GX might be wise on Nintendo's part. Or maybe keep it ultra hard and hope it gains traction like the Souls games? It's hard to say. Not much has made the series stick, sadly. :(
I Believe It has more to do with the Fact that the series never took of with the SNES (Captain Falcon was supposed to be the Mascot of the SNES but that got scrapped) and most of the games being released on systems that didn't sell well.

Tearbear

Smash Ace
Welcome! You're not new to SmashBoards, evidently. Did you just pick up Smash 4? You have a different main for each game. What brings you to Falcon in SSB4?
uhh well ive been playing since it first came out and im ranked 4th in socal so ya
idk what brought be to falcon tbh though

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You don't need a reason to be brought to Falcon, really.
It's just a thing that every smasher experiences at some point in their life.
It comes at a different time and lasts more or less depending on the players but everyone gets there sooner or later.

Keep searching for the truth.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
It comes at a different time and lasts more or less depending on the players but everyone gets there sooner or later.

The meaning of truth?

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo

^The truth is right inside this.

I've seen, though, many people hating on Falcon mains, saying he needs little skill to use, everything he does kills or combos and people have been growing tired of a Falcon main's attitude. This is probably due to Falcon's overwhelming popularity, which jumped from "that cute bottom tier no one uses" in Brawl to "the combo-heavy, stylish, powerful and good character everyone plays".

Have you ever experienced someone complaining about Falcons in general?

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
^The truth is right inside this.

I've seen, though, many people hating on Falcon mains, saying he needs little skill to use, everything he does kills or combos and people have been growing tired of a Falcon main's attitude. This is probably due to Falcon's overwhelming popularity, which jumped from "that cute bottom tier no one uses" in Brawl to "the combo-heavy, stylish, powerful and good character everyone plays".

Have you ever experienced someone complaining about Falcons in general?
Yeah, definitely. People complain about Falcon a lot in various corners of the Wii U/3DS boards.

That's why I like maining him in Melee/PM. In the former, everyone thinks he'll never win a major again, and in the latter, he's viable, but PM's such a mixed bag anyway that no one really thinks much of anyone's main. It's a comfortable place to be. You don't draw any hate.

In Smash 4, though, yeah, I've sensed some ire. But it's all good. Just JV3 'em and move on. :D

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
As a long-time Falcon fan, I feel like his best shot at a new game is go off in a totally new direction. Mario Kart has a death grip on the Nintendo racing game ticket, and perhaps rightly so. It's fun for even the most casual fans, has an array of difficulty levels for stages, is wacky and whimsical, and the characters are universally-recognized icons for the Nintendo brand. F-Zero loses hope of returning in a traditional format with each passing console generation that it fails to appear and Mario Kart continues to rock it.

So why not show us the other side of Captain Falcon's life. He's a racer AND a bounty hunter, after all. There are limitless possibilities for a bounty-based game where Cap can run around, ham it up, and collect dosh for bringing in interstellar criminals. Let him put that holstered piece to use for a change, and confirm that it's a zappy laser blaster if a wanna keep it friendly for all ages. You could explore seedy port towns, engage in combat, get a few ship and racing segments...it's the game I've been thinking about for a while. That and an open world, Ice Climber 3D exploration game that plays like a cuddly, co-op Elder Scrolls.

More than anything, I just want Falcon to get out from the Mario Kart shadow and kick some bad guy butt with a YEHS screen for every take-down.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
In my own experience I only sense some salt about Falcon from my opponent when I do a 6-7 Uair string, which admittedly can be considered cheap. Other than than I don't see many complains about Falcon on those boards, probably thanks to all the FG full dash attack Falcons.

@ Nixon Corral Nixon Corral ya know it.

FabianM

Smash Rookie
As a long-time Falcon fan, I feel like his best shot at a new game is go off in a totally new direction. Mario Kart has a death grip on the Nintendo racing game ticket, and perhaps rightly so. It's fun for even the most casual fans, has an array of difficulty levels for stages, is wacky and whimsical, and the characters are universally-recognized icons for the Nintendo brand. F-Zero loses hope of returning in a traditional format with each passing console generation that it fails to appear and Mario Kart continues to rock it.

So why not show us the other side of Captain Falcon's life. He's a racer AND a bounty hunter, after all. There are limitless possibilities for a bounty-based game where Cap can run around, ham it up, and collect dosh for bringing in interstellar criminals. Let him put that holstered piece to use for a change, and confirm that it's a zappy laser blaster if a wanna keep it friendly for all ages. You could explore seedy port towns, engage in combat, get a few ship and racing segments...it's the game I've been thinking about for a while. That and an open world, Ice Climber 3D exploration game that plays like a cuddly, co-op Elder Scrolls.

More than anything, I just want Falcon to get out from the Mario Kart shadow and kick some bad guy butt with a YEHS screen for every take-down.
I think the idea is too silly for Nintendo to even consider. Although I'd appreciate some things, I just don't see a GTA F-Zero. They would most definitly have to speed the game up a lot and change the focus to more action based gameplay and the combat would end up as a hack and slash. The open world is a cool idea, though. That would be very interesting for the Racing Gameplay as it allows the player to have more freedom with his movement. Especially with the fast moving vehicles the creators could make thousands of cool decisions. A ramp would automatically give the player way more ways to advance and they could add thousands of "futuristic" assets to make it interesting. Adding a story to this though is very hard. It quickly makes a game look cheap. Either they could go for a linear approach or have something like a day/night system and enter races or something... I think it would be better to just scrap the story entirely.

Well, the game would most likely never leave Mario Kart's Black Shadow (haha). I'd just like to see a new one.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I think the idea is too silly for Nintendo to even consider. Although I'd appreciate some things, I just don't see a GTA F-Zero. They would most definitly have to speed the game up a lot and change the focus to more action based gameplay and the combat would end up as a hack and slash. The open world is a cool idea, though. That would be very interesting for the Racing Gameplay as it allows the player to have more freedom with his movement. Especially with the fast moving vehicles the creators could make thousands of cool decisions. A ramp would automatically give the player way more ways to advance and they could add thousands of "futuristic" assets to make it interesting. Adding a story to this though is very hard. It quickly makes a game look cheap. Either they could go for a linear approach or have something like a day/night system and enter races or something... I think it would be better to just scrap the story entirely.

Well, the game would most likely never leave Mario Kart's Black Shadow (haha). I'd just like to see a new one.
I would envision it as a bit more restricted and less absurd than something like GTA. Port Town would be a hub like Hyrule Castletown or Skyloft where you could explore, buy things, get sidequests and objectives, and start races. Most missions would have you flying off in the Falcon Flyer somewhere else, and they could be both action-based, fairly linear segments to apprehend someone or the occasional clue-search where you have to talk to people. Maybe even some chase bounty hunts in a vehicle. In regard to your ideas about story, they could have it be semi-open in that you'd have a set of missions to complete in any order, depending on who you talk to first, and once those are done the plot discovered in each will advance to a cutscenes or big race followed by another set of adventures. I'd see it playing like a combination of 3D Metroid and Zelda with racing parts.

It also wouldn't have to make Falcon quite as goofy as his Smash Bros incarnation, but an occasional catchphrase and some hand-to-paunch combat to go with the bounty hunting would be sufficient. It's a fun pipe dream, I know, but if Star Fox could go to ground gameplay maybe F-Zero could too, just more effectively. Captain has the established double life to open up options, if nothing else.

FabianM

Smash Rookie
I would envision it as a bit more restricted and less absurd than something like GTA. Port Town would be a hub like Hyrule Castletown or Skyloft where you could explore, buy things, get sidequests and objectives, and start races. Most missions would have you flying off in the Falcon Flyer somewhere else, and they could be both action-based, fairly linear segments to apprehend someone or the occasional clue-search where you have to talk to people. Maybe even some chase bounty hunts in a vehicle. In regard to your ideas about story, they could have it be semi-open in that you'd have a set of missions to complete in any order, depending on who you talk to first, and once those are done the plot discovered in each will advance to a cutscenes or big race followed by another set of adventures. I'd see it playing like a combination of 3D Metroid and Zelda with racing parts.

It also wouldn't have to make Falcon quite as goofy as his Smash Bros incarnation, but an occasional catchphrase and some hand-to-paunch combat to go with the bounty hunting would be sufficient. It's a fun pipe dream, I know, but if Star Fox could go to ground gameplay maybe F-Zero could too, just more effectively. Captain has the established double life to open up options, if nothing else.
These kind of things just need a lot of polish.Otherwise, they end up as Sonic 06...

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Yo guys!

More active around the custom content area (I used to make movesets and stuff but I used to suck lol. I've improved lots now but motivation to make them is down in the gutter) but I've been a falcon main since Melee (technically 64 but that wasn't my first smash game). I also play Sheik, Shulk, Marth, and to a lesser extent Mewtwo.

Playing on the regular 3ds is a pain and I think I might get cts because of it. Planning to get a wiiu to play the copy of smash4 that's waiting and gathering dust. I'm also going to get a n3ds so my hands aren't as cramped when playing on the go.

Why did I pick falcon? Mostly because he's fast and can hit hard. If he isn't played defensively (which I hate playing) he's extremely exciting to watch. Also, those pecs. I want those.

I also mainly played against CPUs back in Melee and have been doing so, even to this day. I know CPUs aren't like real people, but it's hard to practice smash over wifi or with friends that live much more than a few miles away. It also helps that they're frame perfect so when I get to actual people, I hit more often than I miss. That being said, I absolutely abhor online play (ff and fg) although I play with one or two friends online occasionally.

Dont play him or PM in general because it seems... Off. I don't like it as much as the official smash games.

Happy to see he isn't as bad as he was in brawl. Those were dark times.

I also like theory crafting and testing combos out along with bouncing idea back and forth. I love collaborating towards a mutual goal.

Any questions you want to ask, go right ahead!

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Personally, I think if they ever make a Captain Falcon bounty hunting game, they should go all in. No racing. It would be weird. I'd love to have a Captain Falcon on-foot action game in the style of Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, but keep it separate from F-Zero (because, mind you, I would want both series to coexist).

But give me a Captain Falcon bounty hunting game with Batman Arkham style combat, and I'm as hype as they come.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Racing could always be a mini game. I agree it shouldn't be integral but it should play done part of the game, if it ever happens. Maybe a way to get extra points or money or something.

FabianM

Smash Rookie
You know what, I adore the connection to the Arkham Series. One thing is that they really focused on movement of the player, and all that high-tech stuff and even the F-Zero machines could be used for these. Imagine if you could just fly around on top of Mute City, jump off and do some other crazy stuff in the process. And maybe you could just enter a race that takes place randomly in the sky and smash the other machines off the track or do some bounty hunting :D. I think that would be a way to implement racing.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Racing could always be a mini game. I agree it shouldn't be integral but it should play done part of the game, if it ever happens. Maybe a way to get extra points or money or something.
I remember when they did that for Starfox Adventures, the parts where you had to pilot the arwing were terribly bad. Good thing they only lasted a minute or so.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
The meaning of truth?

I wish this was in smash... Just doesn't seem real having it modded into Brawl.
Personally, I think if they ever make a Captain Falcon bounty hunting game, they should go all in. No racing. It would be weird. I'd love to have a Captain Falcon on-foot action game in the style of Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, but keep it separate from F-Zero (because, mind you, I would want both series to coexist).

But give me a Captain Falcon bounty hunting game with Batman Arkham style combat, and I'm as hype as they come.
This. Just like how RPG Mario games are a separate from the traditional mainline ones. (for the most part) Just look at Super Paper Mario...it was such a mixed bag trying to be a platformer while being a RPG. (Not a terrible game, but still)

Last edited:

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
A question to other Captain Falcon players:

Have you noticed that recently (even before the patch, so nothing to do with it), Dthrow to Uair almost never works anymore? What happened to it?

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
If so, then why does this combo not connect anywhere close to as often as it used to?

D

Deleted member

If so, then why does this combo not connect anywhere close to as often as it used to?
Can you explain a bit more about the issue? You seem to be very vague...

Personally, I've been able to do down throw to up air combos the same before the patch. There aren't any listed nerfs involving it too.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
DThrow to UAir works just fine. As you probably know, the KB was lowered so it's not very wise to use it at low percents.

But as to it missing? That's very odd.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Does any one know what caused Falcon here to pull off "a Little Mac side B on 4 Glory" this off?

I've been told it's either a glitch or that you can "charge" it or something.

He used the Wind up Raport Boost custom and I used Nayru's Love (default neutral special for Zelda).

If the gif ain't working, here's a :linkmelee: to it.

http://gfycat.com/CorruptBelatedGreatwhiteshark

FabianM

Smash Rookie
Does any one know what caused Falcon here to pull off "a Little Mac side B on 4 Glory" this off?

I've been told it's either a glitch or that you can "charge" it or something.

He used the Wind up Raport Boost custom and I used Nayru's Love (default neutral special for Zelda).

If the gif ain't working, here's a :linkmelee: to it.

http://gfycat.com/CorruptBelatedGreatwhiteshark

Has nothing to do with charging up an attack. As far as I know, it' a momentum glitch caused by using the wind raptor boost out of hitstun. Usually, falcon goes back a little, but for some reason, it cancels here. Makes for some interreting stuff though :D

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
uhh well ive been playing since it first came out and im ranked 4th in socal so ya
idk what brought be to falcon tbh though
are you the man that plays a ton of diffrent characters?? i think ive seen you play

Top Bottom