• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A FALCON ASK !! Q&A and FAQ

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Well been doing some Capetian Falcon practice... unfortunately only vs CPUs because of time constraints keeping me from commuting any time to finding a smash community in my area.

Correct me if I am wrong here but fair is the lowest percentage KO move right?

Far as low percents go... I am finding that like many characters his Uair is good. But I am trying to work on the Nair as well.

I have had minimal at best luck with the dair, it seems like a good spike... but often (now always) in smash it seems low man wins.

So... any general tips on the air game? Getting there? Good Combos?

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
I don't know how to get out of the strings. It might be inescapable, but DI could lessen the string or negate the ability for multiple hits (I think).

koolkid789

Smash Rookie
NNID
007Funk
I don't know how to get out of the strings. It might be inescapable, but DI could lessen the string or negate the ability for multiple hits (I think).
Yes, this would be great! Which way should I DI??
You mean Mario's 0-52% dthrow>utilt>utilt>utilt? That's easy. Just put down your controller and cry.
hahaha thanks for the help. I am already making great use of this strategy though :p

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
If you're close to the ground when you get hit by the first Dtilt you can DI down and try to shield. It doesn't work 100% of the time but it's better than nothing.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Why are we all different black men...? Is this an April Fools joke?

EDIT: I didn't pay close enough attention to realize these are all Shaq.

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
As captain falcon how to you approach the opponent other than dash attack and dash grab ? What are the other sage option ?

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
What are Falcon's best OOS options? His Nair obviously doesn't come out too fast, and I'm usually out of range to be able to grab.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Nair comes out fast tho, the problem is that neither Nair, Uair or Bair cover useful zones.

The real answer is : Falcon doesn't have good OOS. You either have situational aerials (like I said, Nair Uair and Bair) or up B which, while very powerful and interesting (you can reverse it to grab people in your back) it can be heavily punished if it misses.

So up B if you're feeling ballsy, else just unshield and jab.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Oh okay thanks. His nair comes out fast? I guess I just don't really understand the mechanics haha (which isn't anything new, I'm kind of a n00b at this), those kicks seem to come out pretty slow to me compared to other Nairs like Mario/Link/Sheik/Yoshi/etc.

Last edited:

Chud

Smash Rookie
NNID
A3R0dynamic
what are some good ways to overcome the luigi matchup?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Is there any word on the balance patch? Is it going to effect Falcon at all?

Just my freaking luck if he gets a nerf after the practice I have put into him...

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I would like to know if there is any Captain falcon AT or a guide mentionning them on the forum ?

And how to you approach the opponent as C.falcon other than dash grab or attack ?

Smob

Smash Rookie
NNID
ubergaming
3DS FC
2595-2362-0576
Is it possible to always DI Falcon's down throw in such a way to guarantee you won't get combo'd?

I have started playing Falcon recently and often when I down throw it appears that my opponent is moving to far away from me (horizontally) to be able to follow up with anything.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Is it possible to always DI Falcon's down throw in such a way to guarantee you won't get combo'd?

I have started playing Falcon recently and often when I down throw it appears that my opponent is moving to far away from me (horizontally) to be able to follow up with anything.
Depends on percents and weight, really. Your best followups are Nair, Uair, and dash attack. If you think your opponent is too far away to nair, dash attack.

Demitus

Smash Rookie
How do I approach Olimar? I'm having trouble getting near him and he can rack up damage on me really fast before I get a hit in.

RyeSSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanTheDrummer
3DS FC
3652-0543-2675
For the balance patch, do you feel like Falcon needs any buffs and nerfs, if any?

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
For the balance patch, do you feel like Falcon needs any buffs and needs, if any?
Bro, why did you even ask? The God of Manliness needs to be able to take 7 Brawl Meta Knights at once without breaking a sweat. Right now he's doing 3, tops.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
The only thing I want is the general grab armor from brawl to be back. That's not a Falcon specific change but it would make his up B more reliable offstage.

ChucklesWasTaken

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2852-9834-9435
Does anyone have any tips on how to get out of mario's u-tilt/u-air strings?
I've had the same problem, most of the time I usually DI away from him and jump away. But if it's a REALLY good mario player, then idk because I don't know very many people who are good mario players that I can practice against.

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
I've been having issues combating Mario in PM.

I first of all can't seem to approach him at all because of fireballs, Nairs sometimes work, but he always spot dodges into a grab and then combo's me like crazy with dash attacks finished with a Usmash that deals me about 40% if I'm at 0 when I begin.

I can't maintain control of center stage because of the flaming balls of death, and when he pulls me to the edge he knocks/throws me off before using his cape on me as a punish for not sweet spotting my recovery; it makes me want to rage quit.

Also as a more general question as a newbie to PM, what should I work on first? I have L-Canceling down mostly, SHFFLing, and wave bouncing the Falcon pawnch (fun times). I'm working on moonwalking (compared to M2K though, I would be a crying shame), getting my knees to connect, and getting off autopilot during battles.

I haven't even started DI'ing (unless I'm jiggs) wavedashing/landing, or DACUS.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
@ Bombchu Link Bombchu Link I see you're new here. While this is a Falcon thread and all of Falcon's iterations are manly and amazing, your subject of discussion pertains to the Project M forums, while the one we're in is the Smash4 forums. Maybe you just clicked a wrong link. Anyway I wish you luck in your quest for PM manliness. Show your moves there.

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
You sir are correct.

(I was poking around in the PM falcon subforum, so I have no idea how I got here...)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Does anyone have any tips on how to get out of mario's u-tilt/u-air strings?
At very low percents (0-10) you can simply shield because you'll touch the ground between Utilts. When above that then hold tight and look for opportunities to jump out. You might get out earlier or later depending on spacing, I don't exactly know what effects the lenght of the Utilt string.

All in all the best answer is to not get grabbed at low percents. Use your mobility, lagless moves and your grabs to avoid Mario's grab.

koolkid789

Smash Rookie
NNID
007Funk
At very low percents (0-10) you can simply shield because you'll touch the ground between Utilts. When above that then hold tight and look for opportunities to jump out. You might get out earlier or later depending on spacing, I don't exactly know what effects the lenght of the Utilt string.

All in all the best answer is to not get grabbed at low percents. Use your mobility, lagless moves and your grabs to avoid Mario's grab.
Thank you, this was very helpful :)

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Can running up and side b be and effective way to punish spot dodges
If you can get the timing right, of course! The hitbox lasts longer than most of his moves and it pops the opponent into the air. Of course, it may be a better option to hypen smash them, and you should never pass off an opportunity for a charged Elbow of Justice.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I may have askedd this before... but if I did I can't find the post.

I am wanting to study the tactics of the top players... who should I be youtube searching? Looking for people who are frequent contenders in major tournaments with Falcon.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I may have askedd this before... but if I did I can't find the post.

I am wanting to study the tactics of the top players... who should I be youtube searching? Looking for people who are frequent contenders in major tournaments with Falcon.
Fatality completely destroys with Falcon.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
If you can get the timing right, of course! The hitbox lasts longer than most of his moves and it pops the opponent into the air. Of course, it may be a better option to hypen smash them, and you should never pass off an opportunity for a charged Elbow of Justice.
Is a hyphen smash when you fox trot into a smash attack???

Top Bottom