• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A FALCON ASK !! Q&A and FAQ

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
@ Jebus244 Jebus244 If you can't hit him with with SH FF Uair/Nair, try using the ground to approach him. Although he has a projectile, he can't move while charging it, so it's not like he can camp you by spamming and moving back. Try just approaching with run up shield, dash grab, or dash grab, perfect shielding his shuriken and you should have a reliable way of getting in on him. Otherwise, just be patient, and let him approach as his shuriken can't zone you out like other projectiles in the game can. Sorry for the late reply :) Busy with life stuff
No worries on the late reply. And its not like I haven't tried that, but I guess I haven't tried it as much as other approaches. I think I just played a really good Greninja when I made that post. We played like 15 games and I only won 1. Pretty sure I just got outplayed because I've had more balanced games against greninjas since.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
No worries on the late reply. And its not like I haven't tried that, but I guess I haven't tried it as much as other approaches. I think I just played a really good Greninja when I made that post. We played like 15 games and I only won 1. Pretty sure I just got outplayed because I've had more balanced games against greninjas since.
Yea, similar thing happened to me when I played better Wario/Luigi and thought it was the MU when it was more just me being bad :D. Although the answer that I gave you was simple, Falcon in theory, is pretty simple with limited approach options. He may have a meh neutral game but makes up for it in high killing power, combo potential, and high weight class to boot.

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon does in fact have high priority and frame advantage on most characters. It is because of this Captain Falcon is very good on paper, but like anything, just because you technically have an advantage it doesn't mean you can't be outplayed.

Your tools are:
  1. Captain Falcon is fast (fast-faller and high running speed).
  2. U-Air has -1f landing recovery.
  3. N-Air and B-Air have -5f landing recovery.
  4. Attacks, particularly aerials, have long range.
  5. Most attacks can combo at least somewhat at most percents.

If you space your moves well enough you should be out of range of 6-7f shield grabs and most jabs (this doesn't mean you're completely safe as moves like Dr. Mario's Up-B (i3) have a large hitbox).

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
How do I DI down throw or otherwise not get grabbed?

This character is too fast, does this character even have weaknesses?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Fair enough, heh.

But the characters i play are Marth/Bowser and I'm really struggling as them.

I play a scrubby Sheik and I do better using her for obvious reasons, but I'd rather identify the problems im having and fix that than play Sheik.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Falcon's dash grab is just a gimmick really. Stay aware of its range and don't shield or commit at this particular range. If you're closer or farther it'll whiff and it's really punishable.

Bowser is combo food really, I don't have any advice but you should manage things as Marth as long as the Falcon player likes to run.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yeah, **** this dash grab.

Should I be avoiding Battlefield? It's my preferred stage but there's less room to avoid the dash grabs and platform camping is useless because falcon's uair is basically Diddy Kongs.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
Yeah, **** this dash grab.

Should I be avoiding Battlefield? It's my preferred stage but there's less room to avoid the dash grabs and platform camping is useless because falcon's uair is basically Diddy Kongs.
For Marth you can surprise Falcons with counter? A lot of Falcon players would like to finish you off with the knee, so expect the knee if they do down throw on you, so I would try to counter that because it is... a very powerful move if you ask me lol. Ok that probably won't work, but usually I would expect dash grabs, so be sure to find a way to counter that (as Marth, I don't think Bowser can do much against Falcon). I'm not sure about avoiding Battlefield, if you think that won't help then avoid it then I guess...

iMAGN

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3003-2964
So lately i've been playing a lot of captain falcon for glory 3ds. I'm not struggling to combo,I just feel like my inputs aren't quick enough in some situations. Any tips on better or more efficient inputs, Maybe I'm missing something simple? Falcon is really great for aggressive playing always will be a solid choice.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
@ iMAGN iMAGN I'd probably just improve my reaction time, if I were you. Go play games that require a fast reaction time, for example rhythm games :)

@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer I've got a lot of experience against Bowser, and I can say this: be careful when facing Falcon as Bowser, but it's not unwinnable. You have a very strong gimp move with your fair, and if Falcon can actually make it back to the stage you can edgeguard him with dTilt. So many times have Bowser mains beaten me with it. Seriously, f*** that move :|

Saltix

Smash Lord
This is the first game I've ever really put time into Captain Falcon, so I've got a question for those who main him.

You land a grab at low % (25% or less), and D-throw. What's your best follow up option? To me it seems like D-Throw has a fair amount of endlag on it, and I haven't had any success finding a guaranteed follow up.

moreside

Smash Cadet
This is the first game I've ever really put time into Captain Falcon, so I've got a question for those who main him.

You land a grab at low % (25% or less), and D-throw. What's your best follow up option? To me it seems like D-Throw has a fair amount of endlag on it, and I haven't had any success finding a guaranteed follow up.
Neutral air if really low, but up air should hit around that percent, and can combo into itself. The lag from down throw shouldn't be an issue, just practice it a bunch and your follow-ups will become second nature. Remember to dash a bit before jumping to cover the horizontal distance.

HFlash

NNID
HFlash

what @ moreside moreside said, you may just be moving to slow. Try buffering your moves so they come out as soon as you end d throw animation

ilysm

sleepy
Hullo, Falcon mains! I'm a Ness main to my core, but I've been considering seconding the good Captain for a while now. I've perused the boards for some basics but I wanted to ask; are there any habits newer Falcon mains fall into that I should watch out for? For example, new Ness mains tend to roll a lot and rely entirely on PK Fire to set up combos and pretty much nothing else. Anything like this I should be aware of for Falcon? Thanks!

Saltix

Smash Lord
what @ moreside moreside said, you may just be moving to slow. Try buffering your moves so they come out as soon as you end d throw animation
Neutral air if really low, but up air should hit around that percent, and can combo into itself. The lag from down throw shouldn't be an issue, just practice it a bunch and your follow-ups will become second nature. Remember to dash a bit before jumping to cover the horizontal distance.
I typically Uair after Dthrow, but I was under the assumption that Nair was guaranteed. So I'll work on buffering and generally speeding up the moves. Thanks!

moreside

Smash Cadet
Hullo, Falcon mains! I'm a Ness main to my core, but I've been considering seconding the good Captain for a while now. I've perused the boards for some basics but I wanted to ask; are there any habits newer Falcon mains fall into that I should watch out for? For example, new Ness mains tend to roll a lot and rely entirely on PK Fire to set up combos and pretty much nothing else. Anything like this I should be aware of for Falcon? Thanks!
Falcon is fast and has a great dash grab and dash attack, however I've seen a lot of new Falcons rely solely on charging in with primarily those two moves, which are both super punishable. Instead of constantly being on the offensive, you'll want to learn to bait out actions from your opponent and punish accordingly. Another thing - Falcon is really flashy. This makes people want to go for the veryy laggy knee, stomp, punch, etc. at really stupid times. Again - learn to bait and punish. Gotta wait for the right moment to style on 'em.

Last edited:

HFlash

NNID
HFlash
I typically Uair after Dthrow, but I was under the assumption that Nair was guaranteed. So I'll work on buffering and generally speeding up the moves. Thanks!
It's not really guaranteed. Depends on character, percent, rage etc. But it is usually pretty easy to do @ low percents, particularly vs bigger characters

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Falcon is fast and has a great dash grab and dash attack, however I've seen a lot of new Falcons rely solely on charging in with primarily those two moves, which are both super punishable. Instead of constantly being on the offensive, you'll want to learn to bait out actions from your opponent and punish accordingly. Another thing - Falcon is really flashy. This makes people want to go for the veryy laggy knee, stomp, punch, etc. at really stupid times. Again - learn to bait and punish. Gotta wait for the right moment to style on 'em.
This guy knows what's up.

Also, @ ilysm ilysm , I've seen a lot of Falcons use Raptor Boost as a combo starter. Please don't do that, it's a KO move now (and a fantastic one at that). If you use it to start a combo, you're wasting its potential :(

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The best advice I could give to a new Falcon player would be to stop running. The temptation to go fast is great but sometimes you need to work with precision.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
The best advice I could give to a new Falcon player would be to stop running. The temptation to go fast is great but sometimes you need to work with precision.
To be honest I barely "walk" in the game, I mean the records show I have walked 0 feet... that doesn't make sense though lol.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Walking is not really necessary for Falcon, though. Unless you're trying to space yourself precisely, obviously.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget the perfect pivot. Capt has the largest perfect pivot outside of Shulk in Speed art.

moreside

Smash Cadet
Don't forget the perfect pivot. Capt has the largest perfect pivot outside of Shulk in Speed art.
I have yet to see anything practical come out of the perfect pivot. If you have any recorded matches, or know of any, mind posting them? Right now it looks like a very situational tech people are hyping up too much.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Ironically perfect pivot can't be done out of dashing. Foxtrotting yes, walking yes but not dashing. And yes it requires you to be very proficient at it in order to use it.

The problem with dashing is that there are limited movement options out of it.

Also walkinf allows you to use Dtilt.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I never use perfect pivot because I never felt the need to use it. I'll probably start learning it once I get into the big leagues and I feel my approach and retreat is lacking, or something. But it's so hard to master, heh...

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, PP is more for Shulk than the others, since it extends his Utilt by the PP's distance. That move has a monster hibox when done this way.

Only PP thats useful is a smash or a dtilt imo. Its a lot more situational for capt who can actually get grabs, lol.

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774
PP is awkward because of the direction flip. So, if approaching, most d-tilts/d-smashes and u-tilts/u-smashes can't be used, which leaves f-tilt and f-smash....but you could just walk up f-tilt or dash-cancel f-smash most of the time. It's more interesting while retreating, but again, you could just dash and pivot f-smash. So while everyone can PP I can't see more than a handful characters having strong options out of it.

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
So I was looking at the meshing landing stun with hit stun technique (if you can really call it that) on Knee and I found that it looks like the sacred combo almost hits but it seems the animation on Falcon Punch is just too long to come out to hit. Perhaps it still can work on some character given that there is enough stun and the character doesn't die from knockback.

On a side not I am now able to consistently land the sourspot of D-Air on standing opponents using the same method.

It definitely looks promising that there are some great juggless to come out of this.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I've tried doing that so many times now, I can never get it frame-perfect. Maybe I need more practice, but the fact that it IS possible fills me with hope :D

jjvirus

Smash Champion
How on Earth does Falcon deal with Mega Man? I cannot find a safe way to get inside MM's zone with all of his pellets, blades, and bombs. Halp?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Jab his lemons, catch his wheels and shield his bombs.
The lemons are the most annoying thing because Falcon has no big lingering hitbox to beat them. Bair can work to some extent, else you're better off abusing your jab and autojab.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Heya! I'm new to the Falcon flock, and have been having a lot of fun with him and seeing pretty good results. Falcon is making me consider having 4 total mains and that scares me, since I was already feeling odd about having 3.

Anyway! My question is where should I head to to read things about Falcon? Does he have ATs that are exclusive to him? And what's the most common mistake you see Falcon players do?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
You're in the right place to learn more about Falcon, @ ATH_ ATH_ ;)

As I said before to someone else, please keep your Raptor Boost fresh, don't use it as a combo starter because it's such a good KO move now (but for the love of God don't approach with it, use it as a punish or a roll read). Also, Falcon can't go hyper agressive all the time. Sometimes you have to wait and see.

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774
There's really nothing unique to Falcon, he's a character that can take you as far as your fundamentals can go. He's extremely fast, but whiffing a kill move will leave you extremely vulnerable as well. Get used to all his attacks, all of them are great in different circumstances (still not sold on up-smash but that's it).

The most common mistake I see is going all out all the time. Falcon is great at being oppressive and controlling options (which leads to punishes), but his own approaches aren't very varied. Sometimes it's better to force a response from the opponent and then reacting accordingly. (Edit: Duh BigLord already mentioned that)

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
You're in the right place to learn more about Falcon, @ ATH_ ATH_ ;)

As I said before to someone else, please keep your Raptor Boost fresh, don't use it as a combo starter because it's such a good KO move now (but for the love of God don't approach with it, use it as a punish or a roll read). Also, Falcon can't go hyper agressive all the time. Sometimes you have to wait and see.
Thanks! This is actually good advice as now that I think about it, I have made the spacing mistake with Raptor Boost XD

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
so what do i need to know to pick up the captain? i know his combos(dthrow->uair->uair->up b is hilarious, very % specific tho)and i know he just runs in and tries to bait a reaction. is there more i need to know?

Top Bottom