• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falco Social (Where We Prefer The Air And The Points Don't Matter!)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I recently found myself using Falco pretty often when I play For Glory matches. I'm not really the best one out there with him but at least I'm learning.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
:O Someone posted today! I thought these boards were supposed to be dead @ Ffamran Ffamran :p

Anyways, hi Falco users. I've been learning Falco as a pocket character. Never played him in previous Smash games at all, but after picking him in random once a month or two ago, I became intrigued.

I've been playing with my various character's jab cancels recently and noticed that Jab 1 > Jab 2 > F-smash is a nice kill setup. Not sure if it's guaranteed, but it seems to be working most or all of the time so far.

I also finally unlocked the last custom I needed for Falco, Fast Fire Bird, a couple days ago and it definitely seems quite good. I still working on getting the auto-cancel thing right with it so that it can use it to its potential.

One question. What do you guys do after getting a grab? I tend to try to mix things up between D-throw and U-throw, U-throw especially when I know that I can get a possible U-air or B-air for the kill with it. Are there any guaranteed followups on either that I'm missing?

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing with my various character's jab cancels recently and noticed that Jab 1 > Jab 2 > F-smash is a nice kill setup. Not sure if it's guaranteed, but it seems to be working most or all of the time so far.
Not even close. No guaranteed followups after jab 2, even grab, and his forward smash is not very quick.

One question. What do you guys do after getting a grab? I tend to try to mix things up between D-throw and U-throw, U-throw especially when I know that I can get a possible U-air or B-air for the kill with it. Are there any guaranteed followups on either that I'm missing?
D-throw to up smash at very low percents, around 10-30% depending on characters you can do down throw to running back air. That sets up for another grab right away if they don't attack or jump away. then after that, just go for up throw to up air. It's guaranteed to pretty high percents depending on DI and character if the laser hits, and even if not you can still get the up air/ back air mixup for a KO.

Down throw to forward air also combos but that isn't used much anymore.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Fried eggs are good.
Collard greens and chard are not.

FACTUAL OPINIONS

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Paninis, though. *drools*

Welcome to the Falco Social, where we drool over pictures of food. :p

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Whatever man, you can keep your fancy dishes. I just ate some cheap pizza for dinner, so there!

In fact, given Falco had a New York accent in Brawl, what would his favorite pizza toppings be?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
A classic, Italian, Margherita pizza would just be tomato, basil, and mozzarella cheese which represent the colors of the Italian flag. So, if he wants to be more Italian, he could go with that. Technically, his accent was in Star Fox 64 and 64 3D, but it wasn't like in Assault or Brawl - I don't remember his voice in Adventures - while is sort of disappeared in SSB4. The only issue is: how does he chew? He doesn't exactly have teeth and can't magically grow them like Daffy.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
A classic, Italian, Margherita pizza would just be tomato, basil, and mozzarella cheese which represent the colors of the Italian flag. So, if he wants to be more Italian, he could go with that. Technically, his accent was in Star Fox 64 and 64 3D, but it wasn't like in Assault or Brawl - I don't remember his voice in Adventures - while is sort of disappeared in SSB4. The only issue is: how does he chew? He doesn't exactly have teeth and can't magically grow them like Daffy.
I'm sure his beak comes equipped with Falco-shaped drills that fair his food so he can consume it.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
At the risk of getting everyone's hopes up, I think Based Bird has a good chance of receiving a few buffs. He's one of the few characters who has been at or near the bottom of every tier list released so far. If he does receive buffs that matter, and customs remain legal, I think we could actually be looking at a pretty good character in the long run.
He needs a few tweaks and buffs and he will be golden. What you think he needs then?

Really, Dabuz? Really? Then again, we can count how many Falco players are out there with one and a half hands. :p

Edit: If you have time, I suggest reading @kyoskue's "The Difference Between A GOOD Player and A GREAT Player". As there are not a lot of (known) Falco players, we get to see different styles much more instead of cookie cutters who just D-throw to Dash Attack and expect that to work all the time. We've seen GimR use Uairs and perfect pivot Dtilts a lot, Pawclaw and Keitaro use Blaster a lot, Manny Manito uses short hops to feint a lot, Cyro incorporates wall jumps to his edgeguard game, berserker. prefers using D-throw to RAR Bair, Shaya advocates U-throw, the Japanese Falco players use different movement options more than most like pivot walking, perfect pivot to anything, etc., and even lesser known players do things like Bubba if I remember the tag correctly uses RAR Bairs a lot, one player uses Falco Phantasm a lot, another uses Down Smash a lot, some use Jab cancels a lot, and one player uses Nair to approach, cover options, or ledge spike, etc. It's these distinctions where we prefer or incorporate certain attacks, certain strategies, and have our own styles that makes us different and unique. For an example, GimR is aggressive while Manny Manito is more defensive. As for me, I love using Down Smash out of shield, I like firing off Blaster every once and a while, especially to mess with people, and I love Jab canceling to F-throw because it looks brutal even if it might not be a good idea.

So, even though we are few, we are Falco players and that's all that matters since we represent a community that people overlook or don't really know about.
Sounds about right. It's weird seeing all these new heads picking the bird up and what not posting in here. Brawl Falco boards were deadish as well from what I remember and smash 4 Falco boards is funny and weird at the same time in dat regard. We just need to put in the work and a Falco player has to poop on nerds mainly someone big so that people would look at him more. Also I try to get some footage of my Falco soon and post them up on here soon when the Mewtwo patch drops.

Last edited:

KowKow

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! I've been playing Falco the past few months, and pretty much maining him at this point. So far I've learned everything along the way and haven't looked up anything. So figured I'd finally drop by and say hi and lurk a bit. Might share some videos for some opinions at some point.

I've been playing a lot of people on Twitch, haven't come across any Falco mains yet. There's a lot of awesome people over there, and most of the people I've played don't main the current "top" characters. Which is cool, but at the same time I have VERY little top-tier MU experience. Although I'm sure the tier list will evolve a bit as the game and community grows.

Anyway.... Hi.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Nice to meet you nerd. And yeah this is one place to study up and try to grab MU's vs top tiers, I still have issues on them myself.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
What's good homie, hope you're ready to get disrespected by everybody for playing an inferior Fox. ;)

Just kidding, welcome and I hope you not only learn but contribute to the discussions as well! We always welcome new voices with things to say, we need all the knowledge we can get.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Smoothlander. Yeah, it would change some things, but in general, equipment would change a lot in SSB4. Also, a reference for Falco's regular landing lag.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Using the source of great players, For Glory, I have discovered that Falco absolutely rekts Mario; either that or I'm a great Falco. :p Remove Falco's lasers pls.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Using the source of great players, For Glory, I have discovered that Falco absolutely rekts Mario; either that or I'm a great Falco. :p Remove Falco's lasers pls.
That would actually be useful. One thing I never really understood is what happens to people when they're hit by the laser. It's like they receive hit stun and whatever momentum they had left, they get dragged down. That or people are just panicking since they lost a jump, didn't realize they lost it, and when they do, it's way too late.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
That would actually be useful. One thing I never really understood is what happens to people when they're hit by the laser. It's like they receive hit stun and whatever momentum they had left, they get dragged down. That or people are just panicking since they lost a jump, didn't realize they lost it, and when they do, it's way too late.
I believe it's a bit of both, since, as shown by the footage, he actually gets dragged down slightly, but what killed him was his air dodge. I doubt it was lag since the match wasn't really laggy, so I guess he just panicked predicting the b-air/d-air.

Either way, I think this is a legitimately good gimp setup. Once you force a jump, just go down there and try to score a good b-air or even a footstool and even early as heck it's a kill. (Obviously, it's better the more damage the opponent has) :p

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
If Falco had faster smash attacks and falling speed, he would have some good setups off of laser even on-stage. A lot of Falco in this game is making people think he's much scarier than he actually is.

Solo Wyvern

Smash Rookie
NNID
Snakenator
3DS FC
5327-1048-0154
Falco is really good for playing mind games with, short hops mixed with full jumps really confuse the CPU's leaving them vulnerable, especially when mixed into a combo.
Also hi! new to the forum but 15 years of Smash under my belt.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Falco is really good for playing mind games with, short hops mixed with full jumps really confuse the CPU's leaving them vulnerable, especially when mixed into a combo.
Also hi! new to the forum but 15 years of Smash under my belt.
I didn't think it was possible to play mindgames with the CPU. :O Also Ffamran pls don't burn me at the stake, I know I've been procrastinating on the Falco moveset analysis but I'm trying to figure out how to organize thoughts we have on moves as a community so as to be user-friendly and it's tough. Help is appreciated!

Also, welcome to Smashboards!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Er... I guess you could do a pros and cons with some general tips to make it user-friendly along with having a more detailed write up in spoilers that you could just quote from people like if someone made a major point on Ftilt, then quote that part of their explanation on Ftilt.

Edit: If only I remembered this on Shaq Day...
I think of :4falco: as the basketballer :yeahboi:of this game.

Dribbles the ball (jabs/tilts/etc), shoots for the goal (mentioned set up moves below), and then using space-jam level physics SLAM DUNKS (up air, back air, some cases fair) them into the net. It all has to do with his unbelievably high/fast jumps.

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Does anyone here have some pointers for what to do with laser? I'm aware you can jab lock with them, although I'm not about the setups for it. Anything would be great, having a blast with Falco atm. Also is his D-air cancel worth learning? It seems hella hard and I'm not sure if it's worth it since you're able to shield it anyway.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Does anyone here have some pointers for what to do with laser? I'm aware you can jab lock with them, although I'm not about the setups for it. Anything would be great, having a blast with Falco atm. Also is his D-air cancel worth learning? It seems hella hard and I'm not sure if it's worth it since you're able to shield it anyway.
Those might be better asked here: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-king-of-the-birds-game-play-discussion.367184/. This thread is supposed to be a place for Falco players to just hang out.

Using them to interrupt and poke from really afar would be okay. Shooting them towards people recovering can mess with their momentum and potentially gimp if you catch them right when they jump. Using them from a full hop might be better since the end lag is a bit shorter.

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Those might be better asked here: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-king-of-the-birds-game-play-discussion.367184/. This thread is supposed to be a place for Falco players to just hang out.

Using them to interrupt and poke from really afar would be okay. Shooting them towards people recovering can mess with their momentum and potentially gimp if you catch them right when they jump. Using them from a full hop might be better since the end lag is a bit shorter.
My bad, in the Wolf social thread we normally just chat about the game aswell. Thanks for the info though :)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
My bad, in the Wolf social thread we normally just chat about the game aswell. Thanks for the info though :)
This social is pretty much dead... In general, most of the discussion and activity for Falco is through matchup discussion and gameplay discussion. I hope that Star Fox Wii U makes this place more lively and have more varied discussion, especially if Falco has his own stats or something in Star Fox Wii U.

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
This social is pretty much dead... In general, most of the discussion and activity for Falco is through matchup discussion and gameplay discussion. I hope that Star Fox Wii U makes this place more lively and have more varied discussion, especially if Falco has his own stats or something in Star Fox Wii U.
Lack of Falco content really. I can barely find anything on YouTube, yet every other character has it good. If Wolf comes out when Star Fox Wii U does I may have to switch. Although Falco might be more fun in the end. Even if some of the guys here aren't content creators, you could link some stuff to reddit. You have lots of good matchup threads here at least!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Lack of Falco content really. I can barely find anything on YouTube, yet every other character has it good. If Wolf comes out when Star Fox Wii U does I may have to switch. Although Falco might be more fun in the end. Even if some of the guys here aren't content creators, you could link some stuff to reddit. You have lots of good matchup threads here at least!
Check the Falco video thread if you want some Falco gameplay: http://smashboards.com/threads/happy-feet-falco-video-thread.376351/.

The best Falco players I've seen are mostly Japanese and since I can't read Japanese, I don't really know who any of them are. For the states, you have GimR, @zCyRo, @pawclaw, @TR|MannyManito, @zanryo, and FOW sometimes plays as him. shofu said he would secondary Falco (and main the entire Star Fox reps which is why his tag has been "FreeWolf"). I don't know about Keitaro anymore. Shaya also uses Falco. Oh, and @ Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222 made Skillager pocket Sheik. :p

Edit: You can find the latest Falco video by searching Falco and filtering it to upload date on YouTube.

Last edited:

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
Is the term “Happy Feet” significant to Falco? I never heard of it before, but I was playing FG as Falco and my opponent mirrored me and then changed their tag to “Happy Feet” between rounds. I also noticed a thread that has happy feet in the title. Anyone know if this is a Falco thing?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Weird musings since, well, we could be a little less serious at times since most of our activity is on Falco's metagame; it's a social, so we should relax.

So, what if Falco had a sniper rifle or the other weapons in Star Fox: Assault instead? Dude's official art for Star Fox: Assault had him cracking his neck, readying his sniper rifle, standing with a blaster, and posing with a rocket launcher. With long end lag, it might not be as bad since it's a sniper rifle. Eh, I don't know, it could be a (later) kill move, the shot travels incredibly fast, but the startup, end lag, and continued fire would be bad - make it bolt-action? Birds are known for their sight and it'd be cool, I guess. Rocket launcher would just be wacky. Imagine his Up Special and Neutral Special were replaced by him using a rocket launcher.

Another thing, what if Falco had a Reflector custom that was a projectile? Technically, his Reflector is a projectile, but this one would be a bit like KoF King's Venom Strike and Falco already has the animation to go with it. What would it do to his game plan? What element aside from regular laser/energy stuff? And, would it be cool? Speaking of Reflector, anyone wished the kicking part did damage as well sort of like how Wolf's Blaster has a bayonet hit with the laser hit?

Last thing and yeah, it's something related to King too since she sort of feels like Falco, a character who can (anti-)zone and fight well up close. So, she has a move called Tornado Kick and it's basically be Falco's Up Smash, but in the air, she's almost parallel to the floor, and she kicks with toes first instead of heel first like Falco. So, what if Falco's Bair was like that? It would keep the same frames for strong hit, but the weak hit now becomes both the "front" and "back hit" which is a bit different to how King's Tornado Kick works since she hits twice in front of her. A frame 7 sex kick wouldn't be that bad, especially when you consider that Falco would become a "flatter" target compared to Captain Falcon and Ganondorf. Just some musings and seriously, Tornado Kick looks awesome.

Last thing: Who's looking forward to Star Fox Wii U?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It's something from the wombo combo meme. More info here: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/wombo-combo.

Happy Feet is a part of Zhu's Falco combo video.
Happy feet Wombo combo... that ain't Falco, that ain't Fal...OH!!!!!!!!!!
Weird musings since, well, we could be a little less serious at times since most of our activity is on Falco's metagame; it's a social, so we should relax.

So, what if Falco had a sniper rifle or the other weapons in Star Fox: Assault instead? Dude's official art for Star Fox: Assault had him cracking his neck, readying his sniper rifle, standing with a blaster, and posing with a rocket launcher. With long end lag, it might not be as bad since it's a sniper rifle. Eh, I don't know, it could be a (later) kill move, the shot travels incredibly fast, but the startup, end lag, and continued fire would be bad - make it bolt-action? Birds are known for their sight and it'd be cool, I guess. Rocket launcher would just be wacky. Imagine his Up Special and Neutral Special were replaced by him using a rocket launcher.

Another thing, what if Falco had a Reflector custom that was a projectile? Technically, his Reflector is a projectile, but this one would be a bit like KoF King's Venom Strike and Falco already has the animation to go with it. What would it do to his game plan? What element aside from regular laser/energy stuff? And, would it be cool? Speaking of Reflector, anyone wished the kicking part did damage as well sort of like how Wolf's Blaster has a bayonet hit with the laser hit?

Last thing and yeah, it's something related to King too since she sort of feels like Falco, a character who can (anti-)zone and fight well up close. So, she has a move called Tornado Kick and it's basically be Falco's Up Smash, but in the air, she's almost parallel to the floor, and she kicks with toes first instead of heel first like Falco. So, what if Falco's Bair was like that? It would keep the same frames for strong hit, but the weak hit now becomes both the "front" and "back hit" which is a bit different to how King's Tornado Kick works since she hits twice in front of her. A frame 7 sex kick wouldn't be that bad, especially when you consider that Falco would become a "flatter" target compared to Captain Falcon and Ganondorf. Just some musings and seriously, Tornado Kick looks awesome.

Last thing: Who's looking forward to Star Fox Wii U?
ME :)

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
How many tournament players are here representing the falco boards?

and where do you guys think falco actually places on dabuz tier list?

Top Bottom