• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup #38: Meta Knight

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Contrary to popular belief, I actually think overuse of laser in this day and age will lead to negative results. Shooting robotically (like I see so many of you do) will hardly get you anywhere unless they are playing stupidly defensive and do not change their style up (rarely). I know from experiences and have adapted to laser then react to his approach in various ways depending on the situation.

In my opinion lasering is best
a. into close-up frame traps such as jab or grab
b. to mess with their minds, and you can follow up creatively
c. from the ledge when he's not right on the edge of the stage or in the air
d. to mess up his gliding/recovery momentum from horizontal/upper diagonal angles

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
I think this match up is -1 for Falco. The chain grab you get on Metaknight does great damage, but it is very unlikely you will grab Metaknight at chain grab percent.

Onstage I think this match up is very even, but once Falco is offstage the match weighs in Metaknight's favor.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think this match up is -1 for Falco. The chain grab you get on Metaknight does great damage, but it is very unlikely you will grab Metaknight at chain grab percent.

Onstage I think this match up is very even, but once Falco is offstage the match weighs in Metaknight's favor.
Have you played this match-up as MK? Whenever I do it, I feel like avoiding the grab at CG % cuts down my options to dair camping with platforms and tornado onto platforms. Everything else isn't legitimately safe from grab or from something that leads into grab and Falco can deal with dair camping and Tornado really well. When I play it like that I don't feel like this match-up is happening on even grounds onstage. But when I don't play like that ... I get grabbed and it's uneven again -.-

What else can MK do to avoid the grab while getting the lead with relative safety? What does Tyrant do in such a situation? I don't think MK could possibly have the advantage in this match-up unless he gets an offstage gimp.

:059:

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
spaced fair is safe from grab on shield, the on thing falco can do to punish it is dash attack, even if Falco power shields the fair. The only thing Falco can do to get a grab out of fair is to run in and spot dodge, assuming the MK will fair at that situation, but why would he when there's much better options.

Dtilt is also fairly safe on Falco's shield, if properly spaced. The only thing Falco can punish with is a jab.

Tornado shouldn't be so much in this match up, unless you know the Falco isn't going to punish it properly or you're going for a punish.

Once MK gets Falco offstage, regardless of getting a gimp or not you can pretty much guarantee that Falco will be eating a lot of damage or at least be put in a terrible position. Falco can put MK in a tough spot, but not nearly as bad as when MK gets Falco offstage. From there the match becomes a guessing game which is in MK's favor. If Falco guesses right while he's offstage he should get one or two hits at best. If MK guesses right while Falco is offstage he will get a stock or possibly get a few hits in and have Falco offstage again.

kismet2

Smash Ace
The biggest problem that Mk has over Falco is his frame traps, because they scare him into shielding then Mk can have his way with Falco. Falco needs to double jab alot but if Mk is trying to beat it out with other options you can shield them and punish with dash attack/dair/bair OoS. Shuttle loop, Dsmash, Ftilt(you can Usmash between hits), Nair, and Fair(even retreating) can beat baited from double jab because those are all of Mk options in that situation, if they choose not to do anything then that's a free grab. Phantasm helps alot in the matchup unless the Mk gets tornado happy then you can just avoid it and phantasm through to continue camping or something. A spaced jab generally covers all of Mk's approaches(and can't be shield grabbed due to Mk's bad grab range) and since it's out on frame 2 you can abuse it to outspeed Mk. Also for a planking Mk I'm not sure if you can wait until the invincibility wears off after uair and Fsmash(sourspot) them, since the hitbox is really big.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
If you're recovering high off stage, f-air wins 100% of the time 60% of the time.

I think killing MK is a bigger weakness then Falco's difficulty recovering. You can force out damage pretty well, but the MK usually has to make a mistake or leave an opening for them to die.

Agree with laser camping. Falco, IMO, should play mid-range and mix up between laser into jab, sidestep. Walk grab is REALLY good (not as good as Fox's, but still good). I personally really like this match.

kismet2

Smash Ace
^ Agreed. Our best killing opportunities are from phantasm and Dthrow. Since they give you plenty of time to react to your opponent's DI you can see if they DI away. If they do then you can follow it up with a phantasm(or BDACUS since alot of people like to hold away at high percents) to spike them into the ground or pop them into the air. Any other time is just Mk messing up, like Omni said. For those who didn't know, you can Usmash OoS if Mk Dsmashes or Nairs your shield, you can even drop your shield then Usmash. Also tbh Mk gets most of his damage from grabbing Falco because you can safely use moves while he's in a bad position. Any other time it's probably Falco camping or racking damage on Mk. So unless the Mk has a one stock lead on you they're forced to approach you.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Best kill option for Falco in this matchup is the telu combo : spam jab>jab, wait for MK to SDI away and when he does then dash Usmash.

Works everytime, and even when it doesn't work you can mix it up with dashgrab.

Ultimate~Anarchy

Smash Rookie
This mu is easily a -1 in mk favor.
Falco's cg to spike or Gatling combo does signifigant damage to mk.
Falco's lasers out beat mk's tornado and any of his specials.
But when falco leaves the ground or is off the stage mk destroys Falco.
Also don't fall for mk's antsy tricks to make you hold shield or go in the air, just jab, mk really can't stop that. (double jab and maybe the third jab.) Also when mk has the lower percent or stock advantage you can't win, but you can come close to winning.

kismet2

Smash Ace
lol anarchy, omni and mink were agreeing with you. and yeah, if mk has the stock lead then it'll be difficult to bring it back but it's harder on a stage where he can camp the platforms. try to choose stages where it's harder for him to camp the platforms and you can control his movement, like ps1 since there are platforms on both sides. btw when you cg>spike mk make sure you spike him onto the stage, there's no point in letting him be offstage, it prevents us from building more percents.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Definitely not trolling. 100% agree with everything you said in your post, Anarchy. The way you worded it was amazing.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
when mk is on the ledge trying to get back up on a stage like bf or fd, falco should be about three characters away from the ledge mixing up shdl and silent laser. This makes getting on the stage hell for mk. If you connect with a laser thats a free up smash. Just react to what mk is doing while you mix up lasers.

:phone:

Ultimate~Anarchy

Smash Rookie
when mk is on the ledge trying to get back up on a stage like bf or fd, falco should be about three characters away from the ledge mixing up shdl and silent laser. This makes getting on the stage hell for mk. If you connect with a laser thats a free up smash. Just react to what mk is doing while you mix up lasers.

:phone:
Is this applieing to kill percent or before kill percent?

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Is this applieing to kill percent or before kill percent?
if you dont feel like staling up samsh you can just laser > dash attack instead.

This covers many of MKs options. If mk jumps from the ledge and eats a laser thats when you get your follow up. keep your second laser low to cover his get up and get up attack. if you are hitting the silent laser you should be able to react to his get up options.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
From what I've seen from videos, if MK fairs you from the ledge, it's always a free dash attack.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
It's not always a free dash attack, it depends on how close to the stage MK is.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Then my bad, it just seems you always do it. Maybe they are just being too aggressive then. It's something you can still easily react to and see if you can do it?

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
It's 6-4, Metaknight.

Like when MK has % lead it's really difficult to deal with him and when Falco have the % lead it's barely an even matchup still. It's not a terrible matchup at all though, it's just MK is a very strong character.

Top Bottom