• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

DigglesFalco

Smash Rookie
How does everyone feel about Falco's top platform/general platform camping against ICs/Peach/Puff? Is it something I should try experimenting with? I feel like it's a good way to slow down matches and really use Falco's insane FH height to avoid bad neutral situations. Specifically on battlefield and dreamland.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah on those stages you can platform camp successfully. You don't necessarily need to go for a timeout, just wait for them to put themselves in a bad position/approach more. A downside of this is the pacing changes for you as well and can stall your momentum and may also make you antsy if you haven't practiced this, so be sure to practice it well and build up your patience and positional knowledge before attempting it.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I have a couple questions about a very specific interaction between Falco's dair and Marth/Sheik below knockdown%

Gif 1
Gif 2
Gif 3

Okay, so my question is in regard to the 'reelback' or 'spike stun' animation, where Marth/Sheik flip end over end. You can see it happening to Plup in Gif 1, and to Marth in Gif 2. My question is: Under what circumstances does this occur? There are some things that are in common between two or three of the gifs, but inconsistent.

Commonalities:
- All three are triggered by Dair
- Dair is unstaled in all three (and verified by SleepyK that this animation can be triggered even when stale)
- All three dairs happen below knockdown%, but above 20%
- Gif 1 and Gif 2 trigger the reelback
- Gif 1 and Gif 3 are strong hit dairs
- In all three, the enemy is in another animation; Sheik is in landing lag from her up-air in gif 1, Marth is in the dash animation in gif 2, and Marth is in the get-up animation in gif 3

Inconsistencies:
- Mango hits high on Sheik's hurtbox in gif 1, Phish hits low on Marth's hurtbox in gif 2, Phish hits high on Marth's hurtbox in gif 3. Positioning of the hitbox does not appear to be the common factor to trigger the animation.
- Gif 2 is a soft hit dair, and triggers the animation. Gif 3 is a strong hit, and does not trigger the animation. Strong/Weak hit does not appear to be the common factor to trigger the animation.
- Sheik starts at 32% in gif 1, Marth starts at 24% in gif 2, Marth starts at 20% in gif 3. Percent when hit may be a possible cause?
- Unknown if opponent was holding down in any of the three gifs. ASDI down may be a possible cause?

I am trying to map out early % followups off of dair to get more guaranteed punishes, and if there's a commonality that triggers this animation, that's going to be super helpful. My gut tells me it has to do with the % they're at when they're hit, and that's it. Anyone here know more for sure?
This is damagelw3, it happens when you hit their legs within a certain knockback range.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
There's 3 main types of grounded hitstun, DamageHi, DamageN and DamageLw . The one that you get depends on how the hurtbox that got hit is flagged: Hi comes from "head/upperbody ", Lw from leg hit, and N otherwise. In addition, there's 3 variants of each of those depending on kb strength / hitstun length (for example DamageHi1, DamageHi2 and DamageHi3)

The 'spike stun' is indeed DamageLw3, it occurs on grounded hitstun from leg hit which does 21+ frames of hitstun. The hitstun animations have different lengths. DamageLw3 is always set length (32f or something like that I forget), which makes it look like it would inflict more stun than it actually does. However the victim can always act exactly after hitstun runs out, and the hitstun is based purely on the received kb. The DamageLw3 variant may help in connecting shine, as the rotation of the victims body generally makes it easier to hit, but the hitstun and frame advantage is same regardless of the hitstun animation variant.

roboticphish

Smash Cadet
There's 3 main types of grounded hitstun, DamageHi, DamageN and DamageLw . The one that you get depends on how the hurtbox that got hit is flagged: Hi comes from "head/upperbody ", Lw from leg hit, and N otherwise. In addition, there's 3 variants of each of those depending on kb strength / hitstun length (for example DamageHi1, DamageHi2 and DamageHi3)

The 'spike stun' is indeed DamageLw3, it occurs on grounded hitstun from leg hit which does 21+ frames of hitstun. The hitstun animations have different lengths. DamageLw3 is always set length (32f or something like that I forget), which makes it look like it would inflict more stun than it actually does. However the victim can always act exactly after hitstun runs out, and the hitstun is based purely on the received kb. The DamageLw3 variant may help in connecting shine, as the rotation of the victims body generally makes it easier to hit, but the hitstun and frame advantage is same regardless of the hitstun animation variant.
Given this, can you help me to explain how Mango was able to get the spike stun animation despite him hitting the top of Sheik's head as she was in the landing lag from her up-air?

Yort

Smash Apprentice
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

What do you mean by you need slight lasers in the mix up game vs marth?
Do you mean things such as slight dash back laser in place and slight laser forward?
Would you say laser in place > slight dash back laser in place is a good mix up to laser a marth nairing oos to beat an approach?
In the laser mix up game, where exactly would I want to incorporate more dashes versus marth?
I am imagining spots where he wants to jab or ftilt or nair oos after taking laser, usually at a mid range when he expects an approach, because if he dashes back I imagine you don't really gain too much as he can move forward instantly again. I think this understanding might be flawed though.

I guess this leads me to ask, if you laser a marth and dash dance 3-4 times and observe him dash back into the corner out of laser stun at a mid range, my next decision will likely interact with him attempting to take that space again, which often doesn't feel like a great position for me but i'm sure it's a good one. I'm wondering, do you know the position i'm taking about and do you advice for playing it?
I know a shiek player in my region who spams run up take laser wd back into the corner, and immediately dashes forward again looking for another PS and sometimes goes to platform. I plan on just doing delayed nair into her when I observe wavedash back, does this sound good to you?

Also, I notice that extra lasers are great versus players who like to move forward out of lasers, which marths do frequently these days after an attempted powershield.

From my perspective in watching you, mang0 and the other top falcos it seems to me you have the greatest grasp of laser and laser mix ups, regardless of your clear focus on ground movement and dash. It surprises me that you thought you were so off track with lasers in the past.
What exactly do you think you were doing wrong with the amount that you lasered in the past?
Why do you think you didn't laser "right"?
What would you do differently if you could go back in time and develop the laser mix up game instead of focusing so hard on connecting with dash?

I am also kind of obsessed with dash, wavedash and ground movement in general. I have always been since I started and before I started watching you so I wouldn't say you should blame yourself if you think it's a bad thing that I like this stuff haha. I think it's because of the way I play games in general.
Do you think this a problem as a falco player?

When you say a dash has "purpose" are you only implying that it has purpose in the sense that it influences the opponent in a certain way? I am under the impression that dashes can also have general purposes, such as 2 dashes to wait for a certain timing to whiff punish shiek approaching nair oos.
Should I strive to make all dashes have a purpose in the sense that it influences the opponent and feeds into my understanding of what happens next?

You've talked before about making actions conscious through development of setups, but I was hoping I could get you to write more about how it feels when you actions become conscious. I find that if I focus really hard on the influence of my dash back I can notice and feed into my predictions but it takes a lot of mental energy and i'm not sure i'm doing any of this when i'm playing without working on that in particular. The way I look at it, an action that i'm focusing on it becomes conscious for a certain time as i'm working on it then it becomes less conscious. Do you mean the action becomes more conscious and purposeful in a general sense? Sorry about the more theoretical question i'll ask only practical stuff next.

I've never heard the term stutter step before. Is this just a slight dash back dash in nair?

"Marth's main advantage over Falco is mobility. You want to encourage him to slow down and even stand in place or shield vs lasers so he doesn't try to resume moving after getting hit for example. Then you're free to begin moving after one laser sometimes since Marth is used to a second laser coming, and this opens up your chance to outmaneuver him. Also vs Marth, he generally stays on the ground, so there isn't much danger of shooting useless lasers he could FH to avoid. Any time you know an opponent will prefer to be grounded, you can shoot a little more. Shoot too much and they often jump away knowing you prefer to shoot than pressure, which gets Falcos into trouble a lot. However you can use this knowledge to abuse other matchups. Against Marth you just need to know more of the first part and be patient. "

I get confused by the first sentence sometimes.
Couldn't marth just continue to move after taking the second laser regardless?
If I laser once, he dashes forward out of the first laser, and I laser him in his dash, doesn't it just change the range the mix up is played at but regardless he's just taking a laser at a certain range. I'm wondering, how does this encourage him to slow down and stand in place / shield when he could keep moving and playing the mix up from different ranges?

Should I be going for movement after laser when I feel the marth is going to shield / stand rather than when he's going to dash again?
If I push him into his shield shouldn't I be going in at this time, do I use the movement to bait something like an ftilt or aerial so I can punish?
How exactly does movement play into this spot where he's forced to stand still?

Why exactly would a player prefer jumping if you laser too much rather than pressure?
By pressure do you mean threatening with aerials or movement or both?
For example, even at a mid range if you laser > aerial at falco he can still jump over the aerial. Fox also often does full hop oos after taking laser a mid range, and the nair doesn't even pressure in that spot. I was somewhat under the impression that continued movement and lasers were good against jumping away, as you can laser them out of the air.
I guess this culminates in the question of how do I pressure a player after lasering them to prevent them from jumping away?

LASTLY on this, the thing where people fh to avoid lasers on the ground which makes them useless. I've noticed this especially with foxes who react to your short hop to full hop and pressure your laser.
Does this prevent you from lasering when you're both on the ground sometimes?
If i'm fighting a fox and we're both on the ground in raw neutral at a mid - long range at 40% each, is a laser somewhat risky because of this FH over to avoid it? In a spot such as this I don't really know what to do, as the fox can either full hop over to avoid my laser or move really fast and outmaneuver me on the ground. I don't know if this paragraph makes sense but I just want to know more about this people fhing to avoid lasers and how to avoid it.

I'm going to ask some questions about basic set ups and mix ups

Could you tell me more about the laser in place > approaching laser set up from a long distance?
I often notice you using this when you're far away to attempt to lock them in shield or hit them for dashing away, and then doing a dash back after the approaching laser incase they jump after the first laser.

Could you tell me more about the usefulness of the laser > slight dash forward > slight dash back setup?
I see you do this often and do a laser in place / approach / etc after the slight dash back. I see this from mango too. I often imagined it as the slight dash forward pushes them back slightly allowing you to safely move back and laser. How does the timing mix up playing into this one. I also notice it whiff punishes at a different timing than laser > dash back > nair / dair in.

Could you tell more more about the utility of full hop double lasers onto platform followed by laser in place on the platform? I see you do this a lot version shiek and peach. Is this to get them off the platform and onto the ground while also preventing them from getting up there in the first place?

Do you think approaching laser jab is still good? People are so much more primed to shield grab approaching laser in general, and thus they are usually ready to grab the jab as well if they get shield up. How can I use approaching laser jab effectively at a mid percent without putting myself at risk? I find myself getting grabbed for it often and I feel like you would not. I want to use it because I want to chase people down and often after the approaching laser i'm not close enough to shine while jab covers this distance.

One last thing.
Do you think people should prioritize self analysis or top players?

Last edited:

TheRealAlbert

Smash Cadet
Hey Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'm Albert, a Falco from Texas. I was wondering what your solution is to Foxes that constantly full hop and spend 70%+ time on the platforms? My current game plan has been to wait them out, dash dancing under and catch them coming down with a laser. On occasion, I'll jump up with a drift aerial to catch some stray hits while staying safe. It has been relatively successful, however I feel like in some ways it is a bit unsustainable and prone to possibly bad trades, since Fox is better IMO in the squabble.
I tinkered around with taking up the platforms myself, however this also seems a bit gimmicky, once again feels unsustainable due to Fox being able to now weave under you (and again jump up if you decide to come down), and again doesn't seem to play to the strength of my usual Fox game plan, controlling and reacting off the laser.
Do you have any suggestions on possibly deterring the Fox from doing this game plan or still keeping control of the pace? I think that's possibly my main gripe; not being able to control, play the mix up game, and instill fear like I usually do.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

What do you mean by you need slight lasers in the mix up game vs marth?
Do you mean things such as slight dash back laser in place and slight laser forward?
Would you say laser in place > slight dash back laser in place is a good mix up to laser a marth nairing oos to beat an approach?
In the laser mix up game, where exactly would I want to incorporate more dashes versus marth?
I am imagining spots where he wants to jab or ftilt or nair oos after taking laser, usually at a mid range when he expects an approach, because if he dashes back I imagine you don't really gain too much as he can move forward instantly again. I think this understanding might be flawed though.

I guess this leads me to ask, if you laser a marth and dash dance 3-4 times and observe him dash back into the corner out of laser stun at a mid range, my next decision will likely interact with him attempting to take that space again, which often doesn't feel like a great position for me but i'm sure it's a good one. I'm wondering, do you know the position i'm taking about and do you advice for playing it?
I know a shiek player in my region who spams run up take laser wd back into the corner, and immediately dashes forward again looking for another PS and sometimes goes to platform. I plan on just doing delayed nair into her when I observe wavedash back, does this sound good to you?

Also, I notice that extra lasers are great versus players who like to move forward out of lasers, which marths do frequently these days after an attempted powershield.

From my perspective in watching you, mang0 and the other top falcos it seems to me you have the greatest grasp of laser and laser mix ups, regardless of your clear focus on ground movement and dash. It surprises me that you thought you were so off track with lasers in the past.
What exactly do you think you were doing wrong with the amount that you lasered in the past?
Why do you think you didn't laser "right"?
What would you do differently if you could go back in time and develop the laser mix up game instead of focusing so hard on connecting with dash?

I am also kind of obsessed with dash, wavedash and ground movement in general. I have always been since I started and before I started watching you so I wouldn't say you should blame yourself if you think it's a bad thing that I like this stuff haha. I think it's because of the way I play games in general.
Do you think this a problem as a falco player?

When you say a dash has "purpose" are you only implying that it has purpose in the sense that it influences the opponent in a certain way? I am under the impression that dashes can also have general purposes, such as 2 dashes to wait for a certain timing to whiff punish shiek approaching nair oos.
Should I strive to make all dashes have a purpose in the sense that it influences the opponent and feeds into my understanding of what happens next?

You've talked before about making actions conscious through development of setups, but I was hoping I could get you to write more about how it feels when you actions become conscious. I find that if I focus really hard on the influence of my dash back I can notice and feed into my predictions but it takes a lot of mental energy and i'm not sure i'm doing any of this when i'm playing without working on that in particular. The way I look at it, an action that i'm focusing on it becomes conscious for a certain time as i'm working on it then it becomes less conscious. Do you mean the action becomes more conscious and purposeful in a general sense? Sorry about the more theoretical question i'll ask only practical stuff next.

I've never heard the term stutter step before. Is this just a slight dash back dash in nair?

"Marth's main advantage over Falco is mobility. You want to encourage him to slow down and even stand in place or shield vs lasers so he doesn't try to resume moving after getting hit for example. Then you're free to begin moving after one laser sometimes since Marth is used to a second laser coming, and this opens up your chance to outmaneuver him. Also vs Marth, he generally stays on the ground, so there isn't much danger of shooting useless lasers he could FH to avoid. Any time you know an opponent will prefer to be grounded, you can shoot a little more. Shoot too much and they often jump away knowing you prefer to shoot than pressure, which gets Falcos into trouble a lot. However you can use this knowledge to abuse other matchups. Against Marth you just need to know more of the first part and be patient. "

I get confused by the first sentence sometimes.
Couldn't marth just continue to move after taking the second laser regardless?
If I laser once, he dashes forward out of the first laser, and I laser him in his dash, doesn't it just change the range the mix up is played at but regardless he's just taking a laser at a certain range. I'm wondering, how does this encourage him to slow down and stand in place / shield when he could keep moving and playing the mix up from different ranges?

Should I be going for movement after laser when I feel the marth is going to shield / stand rather than when he's going to dash again?
If I push him into his shield shouldn't I be going in at this time, do I use the movement to bait something like an ftilt or aerial so I can punish?
How exactly does movement play into this spot where he's forced to stand still?

Why exactly would a player prefer jumping if you laser too much rather than pressure?
By pressure do you mean threatening with aerials or movement or both?
For example, even at a mid range if you laser > aerial at falco he can still jump over the aerial. Fox also often does full hop oos after taking laser a mid range, and the nair doesn't even pressure in that spot. I was somewhat under the impression that continued movement and lasers were good against jumping away, as you can laser them out of the air.
I guess this culminates in the question of how do I pressure a player after lasering them to prevent them from jumping away?

LASTLY on this, the thing where people fh to avoid lasers on the ground which makes them useless. I've noticed this especially with foxes who react to your short hop to full hop and pressure your laser.
Does this prevent you from lasering when you're both on the ground sometimes?
If i'm fighting a fox and we're both on the ground in raw neutral at a mid - long range at 40% each, is a laser somewhat risky because of this FH over to avoid it? In a spot such as this I don't really know what to do, as the fox can either full hop over to avoid my laser or move really fast and outmaneuver me on the ground. I don't know if this paragraph makes sense but I just want to know more about this people fhing to avoid lasers and how to avoid it.

I'm going to ask some questions about basic set ups and mix ups

Could you tell me more about the laser in place > approaching laser set up from a long distance?
I often notice you using this when you're far away to attempt to lock them in shield or hit them for dashing away, and then doing a dash back after the approaching laser incase they jump after the first laser.

Could you tell me more about the usefulness of the laser > slight dash forward > slight dash back setup?
I see you do this often and do a laser in place / approach / etc after the slight dash back. I see this from mango too. I often imagined it as the slight dash forward pushes them back slightly allowing you to safely move back and laser. How does the timing mix up playing into this one. I also notice it whiff punishes at a different timing than laser > dash back > nair / dair in.

Could you tell more more about the utility of full hop double lasers onto platform followed by laser in place on the platform? I see you do this a lot version shiek and peach. Is this to get them off the platform and onto the ground while also preventing them from getting up there in the first place?

Do you think approaching laser jab is still good? People are so much more primed to shield grab approaching laser in general, and thus they are usually ready to grab the jab as well if they get shield up. How can I use approaching laser jab effectively at a mid percent without putting myself at risk? I find myself getting grabbed for it often and I feel like you would not. I want to use it because I want to chase people down and often after the approaching laser i'm not close enough to shine while jab covers this distance.

One last thing.
Do you think people should prioritize self analysis or top players?
1. That's what I mean.
Yes I would, but it can be better to just dash back then dash in and attack for a direct hit or pressure depending on circumstances though.
You can put dashes anywhere I guess, but generally you don't want to overdo them is the main thing. So no more than 2 at a time generally. Otherwise, you can do it how you please. Overdoing lasers with little movement keeps you stuck in place, but moving too much or too predictably lets Marth abuse his mobility over you in those times you could have been shooting. Dashing can also help when people want to time PS approaches but instead run into your aerials.
If Marth dashes back, you can dash in of course, but consider the reverse. If you dash in, you carry your approaching attacks with it. So you can also force Marth to move back with movement in.

I'm not sure of the position exactly, but if a Marth corners himself for any reason, you can at minimum take stage or at maximum go get him now that he can no longer retreat safely.
That's one way to beat the Sheik play yeah. Watch for observations during WD back just in case.

Yeah extra lasers stuff those PS attempts really well, but aerials can give you hits out of that. Lasers are safer and give fine momentum there though.

I do agree I know the most about lasers, but when Mango and West don't really laser and West especially plays the vertical game more, it's not a terribly significant point to me. I needed to laser a little more OR laser and use that advantage to make something happen. Too much in matches I'd just stall out with excess lasers or excess movement when I got free openings from my setups. Initially this was more because I was afraid of approaching, but later it was just for other reasons. I already know what I'd do because I've been doing it, but I never got to show it. Stalling out dashes, foxtrotting forward and mixing foxtrot with laser or back up laser, WD laser(surprisingly good), WD in general is underused and good imo, faking with more reverse SH with empty land, Bair, turnaround laser, waveland, and DJ. There's other stuff but that was all stuff I had I legit never used in tourney that I really want to show.

Yeah Falcos tend to like SHL since it's so safe/leads to so much, but to me if you can separate yourself from this and see FH/DJ aerials as really safe too since they're so big and can still include laser, you feel so much more liberated in my experience. Having the preference for the ground isn't inherently bad though, except maybe in the ditto and when you need to fight some platform-heavy opponents.

A dash has purpose because of how it impacts the opponent AND because of how it is used to imply threats. It also usually comes from good practice and understanding and mixing of these threats. Groups of dashes have their own purpose as well as individual dashes. I generally say keep it at 2-3 at a time so you can think in terms of these dash combinations, as they are different than the sum of their parts. However, if you do more dashes than this, they tend to lose individual purpose but gain a group purpose. DD'ing and waiting tend to be associated for this reason. You could also do multiple dashes but do separate chains of dashes, so it's complicated.
You should make all dashes have purpose outside of that group dash example I just outlined as a goal, but it's okay if it doesn't always happen since it takes a lot of focus and practice to get that.

Conscious stuff is like what you're describing, but it becomes more automatic. The "forcing" you feel you have to do is more common when practicing and getting used to the tools. That gets easier the more you do it, but in a match it's overwhelming without all that training. This is why I say build up slowly. As for how it feels, it feels like a deep connection with the game, where you don't really think about what to do it just happens and is an extension of yourself. You free up mental energy to observe the opponent as well since you're so used to doing what you're doing, making adaptation much easier. Not my best attempt at this explanation, so ask if you need clarification. I also discussed this a little with a martial arts analogy on the Marth thread recently if you'd like to check that out.

Yeah a stutter step is a quickly interrupted dash back into another dash forward. It's mostly a Brawl term but I just decided to use it for Melee sometimes.

Marth doesn't know exactly when or how that second laser is coming. This forces him to vary his pace quite a bit. Not only that, but once the first laser gives you frame advantage it tends to make getting the second one out easier since you now have more time to make it happen. This is how you limit Marth's mobility. Then when he expects this, you begin threatening aerials. Between threats of aerials(dashes) and this laser limit, it can be hard for Marth to move. That being said, it is still possible for Marth to be quick if he can relax more when lasers are raining down on him. Doesn't keep it from being difficult and slowing him I'd say.

Players jump when they see lots of lasers because they want to avoid the effective zone of laser and your moves. They now aren't in frame disadvantage when they do this, and it can become harder for you to control them. It's a consequence of projectiles, like when characters jump over fireballs in Street Fighter. This is because the projectile controls a zone and their actions at a certain timing. You can abuse this and this is where you great vertical play comes into action. Falco's hype.
Continued shooting IS still okay because it gives you damage, encourages them to try and come in or just shows them you don't want to commit early. All of this is fine. However, if you did want to get them you only need to laser once or twice at most before they move away. Three times it's guaranteed basically in my tests with people. You can look at it for yourself though. So you pressure with a laser or two or a laser plus movement and then attack them on the ground, or take time setting up another laser so they don't feel as overwhelmed and encouraged to jump away since the lasers were more staggered. You can also just shoot some and let them jump then chase the jump like Mango does. You can also intercept their jump with SH Nair like I do, which is one of my favorite things to do.

I know exactly what you're talking about here. In this situation, I either back up a lot to laser, fake a laser to get a counterhit/approach, raw shoot to keep them honest, or just do some type of approach which is also good for keeping them honest. Sometimes, if I think Fox will react to my laser with FH, I will just SH then quickly DJ so I can Dair their Nair. I also may retreating SH so I can DJ Bair if they come in or turnaround laser. Lots to do here but it is pretty awkward.

Moving close quickly makes them want to attack since you're bridging so much space. I used to try doing this into a direct attack but it was pretty much always countered, which is why the dash back was added to give depth and counteract this. I also want to take as much stage as possible for maximum advantage. Laser in place is just to stop them ASAP.

Ah, that's a good one. It keeps tempo high but just as they respond to moving in, or a little after, you laser. This is to make them misjudge their timing and also help you go in more with laser dash in or laser dash back attack in. It also keeps you in the same space so you get a free read on what they'd do mostly.

Another good one. SHL on platform covers Peach's FH float height and generally harasses platform players in the same way you'd harass them on the ground with SHLs. As they come down you can runoff/fall through laser and you don't have the jumpsquat startup of SHL. Also the double lasers(DLs) are good mostly to make them want to come down before they hit, or shield early if they stay on the platform so it wears their shield down more. Players may also want to come down as they see me commit to the laser, which I'm happy to give them sometimes(this does mean you'd be giving up center but if they want to attack, this can be worth it). There are some good mixups here with DJ landing single laser or DJ empty land SHL etc etc etc

Why in the world do people shield grab vs approaching laser? At any rate, I still like laser jab but kinda sparingly and moreso against Falcon/Falco/Peach/Sheik/Samus/Puff at percents where it can lead to kills or edgeguards so they're less likely to hold down and also less likely to expect it since I'm not normally using it. I think it's more abusable against Falcon/Falco/Puff and less against the others I mentioned though. Still I wouldn't call it a staple.

I tend to think self analysis is better generally, but it really depends on what you need. I got plenty of ideas from analysis early on of top players, then applied it myself, then watched myself and took that back to watching top players to see how we differed.

Hey Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'm Albert, a Falco from Texas. I was wondering what your solution is to Foxes that constantly full hop and spend 70%+ time on the platforms? My current game plan has been to wait them out, dash dancing under and catch them coming down with a laser. On occasion, I'll jump up with a drift aerial to catch some stray hits while staying safe. It has been relatively successful, however I feel like in some ways it is a bit unsustainable and prone to possibly bad trades, since Fox is better IMO in the squabble.
I tinkered around with taking up the platforms myself, however this also seems a bit gimmicky, once again feels unsustainable due to Fox being able to now weave under you (and again jump up if you decide to come down), and again doesn't seem to play to the strength of my usual Fox game plan, controlling and reacting off the laser.
Do you have any suggestions on possibly deterring the Fox from doing this game plan or still keeping control of the pace? I think that's possibly my main gripe; not being able to control, play the mix up game, and instill fear like I usually do.
Ah hello Albert.

It would help to know how the Fox gets to the platforms and also how they abuse them specifically. That being said, waiting is fine, but I also like shooting high lasers at them occasionally. This does give up space so I'm not terribly fond of it on not-DL and even then only occasionally. I do like FH/DJ Bair a lot though, and it's safe from shield drops and other attacks if you drift away with it or land with a late one near them. Getting even a couple hits with this gets them close to knockdown percent, which makes dislodging them really easy with Bairs from here. On the smaller levels you also have access to some SH AC Bair which is great for challenging the side platforms more safely.

I'd also recommend looking at what I just wrote to Yort about lasers and intercepting platform play. I like doing a laser or two and then FH shining or FH/DJ Nair/Dair/Bair to hit them as they go up. This sort of thing can depend on spacing, but if you find the opponent not fighting you on the ground much, then feel free to close in so you can attack them getting onto a platform more directly and quickly.

If you'd like to show me some specific situations/actions they do that give you trouble, just link them.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Bones,
I suppose the thing I find unfulfilling is the common response I hear of "just shoot more lasers." I do get a lot of enjoyment from catching peaches mid float with a high laser, or stuffing running shines from foxes, but the notion of countering an option by simply laser camping is what I've found to stall my progression as a player. Simply repeating the mixup, having them full hop, then just continuing my lasers makes me feel as if I'm not really learning anything new- in the end, I haven't done anything proactive to counter their full hop pattern. The end result is that I see a player mindlessly repeating a habit that I cannot punish effectively, so resorting to simply lasering ad infinitum until they approach doesn't mesh with my approach to the game (I recognize laser camping is necessary at times, but I don't like being truly sedentary.)
That being said, I really like what you and PP said regarding my proximity to the fox before the laser. I think this will help me a lot.

One other question for PP or Bones (or anyone familiar with this situation for that matter)- when you shine a fox mid stage, and they DI onto the side plat and tech away, how do you usually follow up? I've tried to simply shine waveland, but falco is so slow that oftentimes I cannot actually make it to the opposite plat side to punish. Do you guys just shine waveland the tech in place, then dash grab tech away? Or am I simply too slow to cover tech away? I have found spacies to auto pilot tech away to avoid followups, so I want to fix this part of my approach to the combo game. Thank you guys both so much for the feedback.
I feel like you're misunderstanding what I'm describing because you aren't just in this endless loop of Fox jumping over your laser. If Fox FHs in place when you laser, he isn't threatening you at all. You can shoot a second laser, and if he lands on it, you can hit confirm and approach. You can approach with jump shine, grab, DA, or aerial if you laser them high enough off the ground. You will have to bait out immediate DJs/shines after these antiair lasers, but the mixup is heavily in your favor. If the Fox DJs to avoid the second laser, you should be able to confirm that it whiffed and shoot a third laser, repeating the mixup but now he can only shine, or you can whiff punish his landing if you read his drift which I already went into.

If Fox is retreating horizontally, then you will of course have to take space and reestablish laser pressure before approaching, but that's just the reality of Falco being a slow character. This may sound like some long, drawn out process of laser camping for small chunks of stage, but in practice you must react at a very fast pace, and most laser pressure consists of only 1-2 lasers. You are welcome to attempt to develop a strategy where you somehow read their jump and approach that way, but even Mango has resigned to the fact that he just has to laser when Foxes FH camp. They are doing it specifically to counter approaching so if you want to out-approach their approach counter, you'll quickly realize how much you're simply banging your head against a wall.

There really aren't any characters who can directly beat proper defensive walling from most of the cast. The main drawback to this kind of play, at least in this meta, is that you give up stage and quickly run out of options. Faster characters like Fox/Falcon/Marth/Sheik/ICs/Luigi can occasionally time a fast approach at just the right time, but it requires engaging in very bad risk-reward scenarios. This dynamic has become insanely prevalent with the Fox vs. Marth matchup where you see almost every Marth relying heavily on DDing in anticipation of Fox approaching. The most reliable way for Fox to beat this is to simply move forward and force Marth to back up to respect the possibility of an approach. For Falco, he doesn't have the speed Fox does to threaten Marth, so he needs lasers.

roboticphish roboticphish
Obviously, taukhan already explained what determines the ground stun animation, but I wrote a post about it a while back if it helps at all:

https://smashboards.com/threads/falco-discussion-thread.256826/page-602#post-21814892

Last edited:

poopo

Smash Rookie
I feel like you're misunderstanding what I'm describing because you aren't just in this endless loop of Fox jumping over your laser. If Fox FHs in place when you laser, he isn't threatening you at all. You can shoot a second laser, and if he lands on it, you can hit confirm and approach. You can approach with jump shine, grab, DA, or aerial if you laser them high enough off the ground. You will have to bait out immediate DJs/shines after these antiair lasers, but the mixup is heavily in your favor. If the Fox DJs to avoid the second laser, you should be able to confirm that it whiffed and shoot a third laser, repeating the mixup but now he can only shine, or you can whiff punish his landing if you read his drift which I already went into.

If Fox is retreating horizontally, then you will of course have to take space and reestablish laser pressure before approaching, but that's just the reality of Falco being a slow character. This may sound like some long, drawn out process of laser camping for small chunks of stage, but in practice you must react at a very fast pace, and most laser pressure consists of only 1-2 lasers. You are welcome to attempt to develop a strategy where you somehow read their jump and approach that way, but even Mango has resigned to the fact that he just has to laser when Foxes FH camp. They are doing it specifically to counter approaching so if you want to out-approach their approach counter, you'll quickly realize how much you're simply banging your head against a wall.

There really aren't any characters who can directly beat proper defensive walling from most of the cast. The main drawback to this kind of play, at least in this meta, is that you give up stage and quickly run out of options. Faster characters like Fox/Falcon/Marth/Sheik/ICs/Luigi can occasionally time a fast approach at just the right time, but it requires engaging in very bad risk-reward scenarios. This dynamic has become insanely prevalent with the Fox vs. Marth matchup where you see almost every Marth relying heavily on DDing in anticipation of Fox approaching. The most reliable way for Fox to beat this is to simply move forward and force Marth to back up to respect the possibility of an approach. For Falco, he doesn't have the speed Fox does to threaten Marth, so he needs lasers.

roboticphish roboticphish
Obviously, taukhan already explained what determines the ground stun animation, but I wrote a post about it a while back if it helps at all:

https://smashboards.com/threads/falco-discussion-thread.256826/page-602#post-21814892
Thanks for the advice man- I really appreciate what you do for the falco community.
The other area I have trouble with is the falco ditto; this can also be answered by either PP, Bones, or other birds. Perhaps it stems from discomfort at dealing with lasers, but I find the matchup to be heavily dependent on full hopping and vertical advantage. The falco that is above the other falco is very threatening, and while punishing obvious falling aerials is easy, many falcos are pretty good at not being predictable at approaching from above. I find that whenever I laser a falco, they full hop and take center stage or top plat, in turn putting a lot of pressure from above. I just find that unlike fox, whose fullhop has limited vertical range that can be stuffed, falco's ability to take vertical space makes punishing his descent harder since he can abuse drift so much more. When you guys play a full hop happy, plat camping falco that pressures with aerials, how do you respond? I found that taking center can be a scary proposition due to the threat of falling dair and the difficulty in reacting to it. Likewise, backing yourself in the corner to avoid top plat dairs is obviously problematic since you give up center. Do you guys prefer to approach from below and contest the top plat falco, or is it better to adopt a dd game in center stage and react to approaches?
Another brief side question is what are some of your general tips for the ditto? I find that a lot of matchups can be reduced to certain pieces of advice that greatly help improvement (threaten vertical space vs puff, keep marth in shield with lasers, respect fox's full hop, etc), so I was wondering if any of you have anything that helped you improve in the ditto. I know many of my questions rely on full hop abuse, but I feel as if this is the area of falco's gameplan I struggle with the most. I feel comfortable mixing up shield pressure and approaches, but the passive platform camping strategy is difficult to wiggle around. I have grown a lot in recent months from studying this thread, so thank you once again to everyone contributing here. Reddit is such a poor place for specific character discusion, so I'm happy I found such an active thread.

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
I dare to say that MangO broke the boundary between PPMD's, Westballz's and his own terms.

MangO is on the way to achieve a harmonized Falco style, moreover, the synergy of its dash-dance + lasers in combination with possible aerial openings, those being converted to semi-bluffs and blunders on purpose, with the mere target to unbalance or alter the opponent's timing and delay possible aerial openings as well, makes me believe that Falco's lasers have a very extended complex field to master, I think that MangO is going to revolutionize the way how most people looked at Falco.

During the Summit 6, Leffen mentioned that MangO's Falco or any Falco is forced to weaken Puff over the 100% to get a kill, unlike Fox, however, what good is it to be able to kill earlier with Fox, when you can perform a superior systematic punishment with Falco? ofc the more time passes, the higher is the probability to commit a fault, but how MangO played his Falco against Hbox was really complex, he played his Falco so efficiently, so that Hbox couldn't really approach him in many situations, it was like there was a wall.

PS: I liked how Mango performed the following blunders with Falco's fire, against Armada's Peach, in order to limit Peach's aerial viability after dodging, considering Falco is a fast faller, those giving him the possibilities to reach the ground earlier, "very smart'.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Thanks for the advice man- I really appreciate what you do for the falco community.
The other area I have trouble with is the falco ditto; this can also be answered by either PP, Bones, or other birds. Perhaps it stems from discomfort at dealing with lasers, but I find the matchup to be heavily dependent on full hopping and vertical advantage. The falco that is above the other falco is very threatening, and while punishing obvious falling aerials is easy, many falcos are pretty good at not being predictable at approaching from above. I find that whenever I laser a falco, they full hop and take center stage or top plat, in turn putting a lot of pressure from above. I just find that unlike fox, whose fullhop has limited vertical range that can be stuffed, falco's ability to take vertical space makes punishing his descent harder since he can abuse drift so much more. When you guys play a full hop happy, plat camping falco that pressures with aerials, how do you respond? I found that taking center can be a scary proposition due to the threat of falling dair and the difficulty in reacting to it. Likewise, backing yourself in the corner to avoid top plat dairs is obviously problematic since you give up center. Do you guys prefer to approach from below and contest the top plat falco, or is it better to adopt a dd game in center stage and react to approaches?
Another brief side question is what are some of your general tips for the ditto? I find that a lot of matchups can be reduced to certain pieces of advice that greatly help improvement (threaten vertical space vs puff, keep marth in shield with lasers, respect fox's full hop, etc), so I was wondering if any of you have anything that helped you improve in the ditto. I know many of my questions rely on full hop abuse, but I feel as if this is the area of falco's gameplan I struggle with the most. I feel comfortable mixing up shield pressure and approaches, but the passive platform camping strategy is difficult to wiggle around. I have grown a lot in recent months from studying this thread, so thank you once again to everyone contributing here. Reddit is such a poor place for specific character discusion, so I'm happy I found such an active thread.
You can laser and then turn around to FH/DJ Bair them, or just FH/DJ Nair/Dair them if they want to get away so often. If you're closer and they waveland onto a platform, you can jump shine them as well. If they're already on the platform, you can abuse FH/DJ Bair to threaten them, and if you're drifting away they usually can't hit you but you can damage and dislodge them. Doing this a bit will start to encourage them to get down. Most people just go up there then wait a little then come down, so you are free to fake and intercept them with lasers/Utilt/Bair or shine OOS if you want. If you struggle with specifics you can always link me situations.

Get the laser out and maintain advantage. If you don't have the laser out, FH to get your laser out or counterhit them with Bair OOS/take laser turnaround Utilt.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
Can you define opening for me? I would love to add it to my list of ppmd smash definitions.
Is that just a highly advantageous position that you can go in on? People use this word a lot and it makes sense to me but i'd love to hear more about it, if there is any.

I'm very curious about these laser things you plan on showing us.
What do you mean by stalling out dash?
I imagine that's just a foxtrot with a wait on the end.
Would you stall out dashes after lasers or to set up lasers in the first place?
How exactly did you incorporate stalling dashes into laser plays? After you land a laser or before to get an initial laser?

When you say foxtrot forward do you mean you will just do an empty single foxtrot forward, and then decide after you complete the foxtrot to do either a laser in place / dash back laser / etc?

so foxtrot forward > laser in place vs foxtrot forward > dash back laser
Would you do this setup as a start up in neutral or would you do it after you get an initial laser?
It seems like a very delayed timing laser set up if you're doing it after a single laser.

I have actually practiced a setup where I do foxtrot forwards in neutral into laser in place. I find that it works against players who tend to react to dash forward with dash back as it allows me to take space, push them back, and get a laser. If I see them coming in while i'm doing my foxtrot forwards I can always dash back out of it to avoid an attack if I think an attack is coming. Is this similiar to what you're talking about?

You have mentioned wavedash laser many times in the past and i've always been curious, i've practiced them but I don't understand why they would have utility that could be better or more useful than dash lasers. You can turn around laser / jump out at any time during a dash, while wavedash puts you in lag and forces you to wait before lasering.
In particular I find wavedash back laser oos to be useful, but I don't understand the usefulness in neutral compared to dash back laser in place etc. How is the influence wavedash establishes more beneficial in certain spots than dash?

How is wavedash good in general and underused? I have been practicing wavedash of and on for the past few months although I haven't really messed with any set ups involving it aside for the basic dash forward > wavedash back feint. I feel like you're implying you have a bunch of wavedash set ups, could you share some ideas on how it works with other tools?

I've seen you do approaching laser > reverse sh > react with double jump bair when you think foxes are going to jum wlp etc.
Is this what you're talking about or is this reverse sh thing you're talking about at a closer range? I'm getting that vibe. I've seen you also talk about versus falco and fox when landing a close range laser doing dash forward > pivot sh > bair / empty land / dj / dj wl. I have messed with it in practice but no testing yet. Could you tell me lots about this set up? You seem very sold on its usefulness.

This opens another question I have. What is the utility of the dj waveland part of this set up? I understand the mix up between bair, dj bair, but I don't understand the exact utility of the double jump waveland. What does it beat what does it threaten etc. Also, what does the empty land threaten? I still don't really understand empty land well at all. I think I just lack serious understanding of the platform mix up game. I will do some thinking on this.

often when i'm practicing shadowboxing / basic tools it takes me along time and mental energy to properly imagine how each of my tools could influence the response and my dealing with it. This is normal right? I often get distracted and just spam the tools kind of zoning out, which is my own fault I know and constitutes "bad practice". I have a question for your specific process though. When you think of a new set up to practice, do you basically imagine scenarios and spacings which could lead up to it working, with each tool influencing a certain action at a certain range in particular, and practice this comprehensively? Even something as simple as approaching laser > turn around sh > bair / empty land / dj wl / dj bair, do you do this and imagine each response and how you would react etc in solo practice for a long time before even considering testing it in a match? I ask because you mentioned how difficult it is to force yourself to notice these things in a match. I find it very difficult to execute my set ups as I would like to, I often commit to a certain combination of actions when I could have reacted and commited to a better action during a dash for example, is this just inadequate preparation / focus in a match? I just want to know exactly how you shadowbox honestly i've seen a lot of your writing on it but it's never very clear how the process goes to me I think. As you've said, you start at the bare basics and their influence and then imagine the combined influence at different ranges and over time you develop the process to where you can practice / imagine complex longer neutral scenarios?
Am I off track here?

Do you ever shadowbox edgeguards? I do this often honestly because it's simpler than the above process with neutral scenarios, in my experience at least. Also i just think edgeguarding is mad important and i'm not good enough at it.

Falco is so hype. That was a great post.

"I know exactly what you're talking about here. In this situation, I either back up a lot to laser, fake a laser to get a counterhit/approach, raw shoot to keep them honest, or just do some type of approach which is also good for keeping them honest. Sometimes, if I think Fox will react to my laser with FH, I will just SH then quickly DJ so I can Dair their Nair. I also may retreating SH so I can DJ Bair if they come in or turnaround laser. Lots to do here but it is pretty awkward."

How does doing some type of approach keep them honest here? If they already full hop i'll get hit I imagine.
How would you fake a laser in this scenario? I think you're talking about doing an approaching laser here to hit their landing and then they double jump and land in your uptilt after. I've seen you do this a lot and I copied it with good success lol, although the laser has to be at a specific timing.

https://youtu.be/9J_xJV0N98U?t=160
Could you talk about this sequence vs fox fh and double jump? I see you and mango do this chase down the fh with laser thing a lot, and honestly i'm confused as to where you'd fit in fh nair in something like unless you read the initial jump.

some more simple set up questions. These are the ones that I have been working on for months tbh I think I should move on now.

Can you tell me about slight dash forward > dash back > dash in nair when an opponent is shielding in the corner?
I imagine this is good because the slight dash forward encourages them to hold shield for a bit longer, the dash back lets me see if they roll, and then the dash back influences them to jump oos as they feel safer so then I nair their jump.

Can you tell me about dash back > approaching nair when we're both in neutral? In particular imagine a fox and a marth at threat range not in any specific action at the time.

Can you tell me about dash forward > wavedash back when the opponent is cornered?
What about when you're at threat range versus an opponent and they're shielding?

Can you tell me abuot dash forward > wavedash back > slight dash back?
I've seen you do this one lots but when I test it I find that commiting to the slight dash back seperates me from my ability to cover roll effectively with grounded shine. I don't understand why you would commit to the slight dash and start moving rather than wait for that duration and then commit to an action. It also puts you far away from the opponent, which I don't understand the utility of too well.

Can you tell me about dash forward > dash back > dash forward jump shine waveland onto platform?
I've seen you do this to cover foxes fh waveland.

Also I have a problem with full hopping to hit players when they jump too much. Often when they're semi low percents I full hop nair and they land before I do and I get pressured / hit as a response. When I full hop bair I find myself on a platform that I don't really wanna be on while they're below me. I tend to just wait on the ground for them to come down and try to whiff punish / laser almost always. Is it mainly a percentage / proper use thing that i'm probably struggling with?

Can you tell me more about nairing peoples jump oos as well? I know you do this a lot. I also do this alot, and so does every falco I think, but I don't really have any specific ideas to actually influence a jump oos I just willy nilly nair during some dashes and get hits a lot when people are shielding. I'm thinking some setups are:
when I see them shield and i'm at a medium close range I do slight dash forward > dash back > dash in aerial.
https://youtu.be/gsbhCIIaf04?t=229 here's an example of it but he didn't jump oos he just let go of shield.
When I see them shield and i'm at a very close range I do dash back > dash in nair.
When I see them shield and i'm at a close range I do dash back > dash forward > dash back > nair.
When i'm at a close range I see them shield and do dash forward > dash back ac bair (vs falcon nair mainly).

It just comes down to timing a lot of the times imo, but I know there has to be a better understanding of how to actually influence their jump and recognize that they probably won't roll here. Can you please just talk about this a bit? I see it as a very important thing considering how much people jump oos.

Oops I wrote another long one. Feel free to ignore anything not useful as per usual, the last post was very inspiring, thank you.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Can you define opening for me? I would love to add it to my list of ppmd smash definitions.
Is that just a highly advantageous position that you can go in on? People use this word a lot and it makes sense to me but i'd love to hear more about it, if there is any.

I'm very curious about these laser things you plan on showing us.
What do you mean by stalling out dash?
I imagine that's just a foxtrot with a wait on the end.
Would you stall out dashes after lasers or to set up lasers in the first place?
How exactly did you incorporate stalling dashes into laser plays? After you land a laser or before to get an initial laser?

When you say foxtrot forward do you mean you will just do an empty single foxtrot forward, and then decide after you complete the foxtrot to do either a laser in place / dash back laser / etc?

so foxtrot forward > laser in place vs foxtrot forward > dash back laser
Would you do this setup as a start up in neutral or would you do it after you get an initial laser?
It seems like a very delayed timing laser set up if you're doing it after a single laser.

I have actually practiced a setup where I do foxtrot forwards in neutral into laser in place. I find that it works against players who tend to react to dash forward with dash back as it allows me to take space, push them back, and get a laser. If I see them coming in while i'm doing my foxtrot forwards I can always dash back out of it to avoid an attack if I think an attack is coming. Is this similiar to what you're talking about?

You have mentioned wavedash laser many times in the past and i've always been curious, i've practiced them but I don't understand why they would have utility that could be better or more useful than dash lasers. You can turn around laser / jump out at any time during a dash, while wavedash puts you in lag and forces you to wait before lasering.
In particular I find wavedash back laser oos to be useful, but I don't understand the usefulness in neutral compared to dash back laser in place etc. How is the influence wavedash establishes more beneficial in certain spots than dash?

How is wavedash good in general and underused? I have been practicing wavedash of and on for the past few months although I haven't really messed with any set ups involving it aside for the basic dash forward > wavedash back feint. I feel like you're implying you have a bunch of wavedash set ups, could you share some ideas on how it works with other tools?

I've seen you do approaching laser > reverse sh > react with double jump bair when you think foxes are going to jum wlp etc.
Is this what you're talking about or is this reverse sh thing you're talking about at a closer range? I'm getting that vibe. I've seen you also talk about versus falco and fox when landing a close range laser doing dash forward > pivot sh > bair / empty land / dj / dj wl. I have messed with it in practice but no testing yet. Could you tell me lots about this set up? You seem very sold on its usefulness.

This opens another question I have. What is the utility of the dj waveland part of this set up? I understand the mix up between bair, dj bair, but I don't understand the exact utility of the double jump waveland. What does it beat what does it threaten etc. Also, what does the empty land threaten? I still don't really understand empty land well at all. I think I just lack serious understanding of the platform mix up game. I will do some thinking on this.

often when i'm practicing shadowboxing / basic tools it takes me along time and mental energy to properly imagine how each of my tools could influence the response and my dealing with it. This is normal right? I often get distracted and just spam the tools kind of zoning out, which is my own fault I know and constitutes "bad practice". I have a question for your specific process though. When you think of a new set up to practice, do you basically imagine scenarios and spacings which could lead up to it working, with each tool influencing a certain action at a certain range in particular, and practice this comprehensively? Even something as simple as approaching laser > turn around sh > bair / empty land / dj wl / dj bair, do you do this and imagine each response and how you would react etc in solo practice for a long time before even considering testing it in a match? I ask because you mentioned how difficult it is to force yourself to notice these things in a match. I find it very difficult to execute my set ups as I would like to, I often commit to a certain combination of actions when I could have reacted and commited to a better action during a dash for example, is this just inadequate preparation / focus in a match? I just want to know exactly how you shadowbox honestly i've seen a lot of your writing on it but it's never very clear how the process goes to me I think. As you've said, you start at the bare basics and their influence and then imagine the combined influence at different ranges and over time you develop the process to where you can practice / imagine complex longer neutral scenarios?
Am I off track here?

Do you ever shadowbox edgeguards? I do this often honestly because it's simpler than the above process with neutral scenarios, in my experience at least. Also i just think edgeguarding is mad important and i'm not good enough at it.

Falco is so hype. That was a great post.

"I know exactly what you're talking about here. In this situation, I either back up a lot to laser, fake a laser to get a counterhit/approach, raw shoot to keep them honest, or just do some type of approach which is also good for keeping them honest. Sometimes, if I think Fox will react to my laser with FH, I will just SH then quickly DJ so I can Dair their Nair. I also may retreating SH so I can DJ Bair if they come in or turnaround laser. Lots to do here but it is pretty awkward."

How does doing some type of approach keep them honest here? If they already full hop i'll get hit I imagine.
How would you fake a laser in this scenario? I think you're talking about doing an approaching laser here to hit their landing and then they double jump and land in your uptilt after. I've seen you do this a lot and I copied it with good success lol, although the laser has to be at a specific timing.

https://youtu.be/9J_xJV0N98U?t=160
Could you talk about this sequence vs fox fh and double jump? I see you and mango do this chase down the fh with laser thing a lot, and honestly i'm confused as to where you'd fit in fh nair in something like unless you read the initial jump.

some more simple set up questions. These are the ones that I have been working on for months tbh I think I should move on now.

Can you tell me about slight dash forward > dash back > dash in nair when an opponent is shielding in the corner?
I imagine this is good because the slight dash forward encourages them to hold shield for a bit longer, the dash back lets me see if they roll, and then the dash back influences them to jump oos as they feel safer so then I nair their jump.

Can you tell me about dash back > approaching nair when we're both in neutral? In particular imagine a fox and a marth at threat range not in any specific action at the time.

Can you tell me about dash forward > wavedash back when the opponent is cornered?
What about when you're at threat range versus an opponent and they're shielding?

Can you tell me abuot dash forward > wavedash back > slight dash back?
I've seen you do this one lots but when I test it I find that commiting to the slight dash back seperates me from my ability to cover roll effectively with grounded shine. I don't understand why you would commit to the slight dash and start moving rather than wait for that duration and then commit to an action. It also puts you far away from the opponent, which I don't understand the utility of too well.

Can you tell me about dash forward > dash back > dash forward jump shine waveland onto platform?
I've seen you do this to cover foxes fh waveland.

Also I have a problem with full hopping to hit players when they jump too much. Often when they're semi low percents I full hop nair and they land before I do and I get pressured / hit as a response. When I full hop bair I find myself on a platform that I don't really wanna be on while they're below me. I tend to just wait on the ground for them to come down and try to whiff punish / laser almost always. Is it mainly a percentage / proper use thing that i'm probably struggling with?

Can you tell me more about nairing peoples jump oos as well? I know you do this a lot. I also do this alot, and so does every falco I think, but I don't really have any specific ideas to actually influence a jump oos I just willy nilly nair during some dashes and get hits a lot when people are shielding. I'm thinking some setups are:
when I see them shield and i'm at a medium close range I do slight dash forward > dash back > dash in aerial.
https://youtu.be/gsbhCIIaf04?t=229 here's an example of it but he didn't jump oos he just let go of shield.
When I see them shield and i'm at a very close range I do dash back > dash in nair.
When I see them shield and i'm at a close range I do dash back > dash forward > dash back > nair.
When i'm at a close range I see them shield and do dash forward > dash back ac bair (vs falcon nair mainly).

It just comes down to timing a lot of the times imo, but I know there has to be a better understanding of how to actually influence their jump and recognize that they probably won't roll here. Can you please just talk about this a bit? I see it as a very important thing considering how much people jump oos.

Oops I wrote another long one. Feel free to ignore anything not useful as per usual, the last post was very inspiring, thank you.
Generally when I say opening I mean an opportunity to attack the opponent directly or to at least get into a pressure position(usually the former). Smaller openings could be taking space due to taking a small win in a position, due to things like a lapse in opponent awareness or an increase in yours, or just overall understanding of a position, etc. Openings are basically what you try to make in a given position if you're aggressive, or what you want your opponent to present when being defensive.

Stalling out a dash is just letting a dash go to the later/end frames without immediately acting out of it. Generally I'd use it after laser, but it can really be either way. The reason I'd use it after laser more is it's safer then due to frame advantage and opponents often priming for an attack or another laser.

Depends on if I let the second dash go or not. Sometimes I just dash, wait a moment during dash, then dash in JC grab or laser or attack, etc. If I let the second dash go in for a full foxtrot then I'm usually more likely to laser out of it or back up iirc. Also to quickly clarify, I use foxtrot to say using two dashes forward in a row, so doing only a single dash isn't a foxtrot to me. This is why the term stalling a dash is useful to me, or simply a long dash can kinda work if you stretch the definition as well.
It's hard to say how I'd use it because I could use it before lasering because that usually requires conditioning/knowing what they look for. If they're just waiting for laser then this is good for preying on that for example, but it's also good if I hit them with immediate lasers more frequently/recently so they don't expect it generally.

Might be similar, but I'm waiting a bit to do the laser sometimes so I punish their confirm that I moved in and didn't attack/immediately laser so it might be a bit later than you're thinking about. That laser you mentioned is great though.

WD is cool because it lets you hold down, which is good vs most people trying to hit Falco out of the air and since he's usually not holding down they may make riskier plays. Also, WD moves you farther away than dash does, so retreating with it(and using momentum to SHL if needed) can be beneficial. Moving inward with it is more complicated but plays on some similar stuff. Getting access to Ftilt is great, and generally approaching in a wonky way that lets you walk shine or Ftilt that doesn't let them easily confirm since it's not a dash/SH in is surprisingly good. Not in every matchup equally, but I've found some fun playing around with it. Not a staple of course.

That reverse SH setup you mention is good, but that's not the only way to use it. Pressure like you said, but also on defense as I mentioned before makes it great due to Bair beating so much stuff and still giving you laser if they respect Bair(and movement if they try to counter both by going over or slight waiting etc). Like it's just great because laser is weak above and especially diagonally in front of Falco because Falco can't easily hit that space and laser takes a long time to come out. Using Bair threat to set up laser immediately makes it harder to handle each tool put together, and if you have a dominant position this also helps you hit people trying to avoid laser the typical way, as well as beating anyone trying to immediately attack after laser where you have space/time to counter with an immediate setup. There's lots to say but that might be the best way.

DJ waveland helps you dodge attacks then hit the opponent or observe what they do OR pressure someone sitting on a platform(ideally out of range to shield drop hit you, but not always). Also deepens your DJ cue. Empty land is similar but gives you access to falling back down to pressure/hit someone who rushed out or tried to punish the SH/DJ waveland or whatever.

Yes it's normal to take lots of effort at first. This is why I say to reduce complexity so you can just get started and get a decent, backed up gameplan going. Hmm my setup process? Well thinking back, it seems like I think about common options in matchups and develop some stuff that uses Falco's best strengths and hits the opponent as well as I can make it. Then I practice mixups from there. However, sometimes I'm just thinking about tools and a new deviation from what I already think is good comes to mind. In this case, I will think about what matchups it works best for, counters etc, and then decide where it can be most useful from that. At that point I begin practicing it. My ideas for tool influence and tool combinations come from my regular practice and analysis, and so it just sort of works out that I get new ideas I think. Maybe that helps.
If you find your end result is just doing lots of actions that don't do you so much good, then you'd want to do simple practice. Just do slightly more complex practice and do dash in WD back, then after that for a bit you can do dash in attack, or dash in WD back then attack in, etc. From this practice you're not exactly shadowboxing, but you're bridging the gap between practice and shadowboxing. I'm not sure if you skipped this step or not, but it sounds like where you should be right now. If it isn't habit in match then this is where you need to be.

Yeah I shadowbox edgeguards. It's surprisingly fun. Also helps me learn how far I can go offstage.

Fox can't FH in to cover laser while also covering your SH in. Also your SH in is great to hit Fox if he's waiting for you to act or wants to attack into your laser startup. Of course if they're just FH'ing in place you wouldn't want to do this and you're already keeping them honest then. Keeping honest is basically just another way to say they respect your options.
Faking a laser is done with a SH in place and then you can DJ or waveland or drift or whatever to dodge their attack. You could also just shoot a blank if they look like they're waiting for the gun to come out first.

Well you wouldn't FH Nair when he's at 0%, but assuming it's a useful percent you would FH Nair either after my grab lag ends, or after the laser(perhaps slightly closer for that). This mixes Fox up so he can't always Bair late and gives you easier punishes on his FH game. Moving in with laser vs the landing is hard to time since they could jump again, but if you alter your timing with dashes you can land near them as they land with laser out, it's just hard to do. You can also hope they hold shield or dash away after landing and laser in a little later if you confirm it a little late, which works more in my favor in this clip.

Yeah that's all kind of right. Longer dash back also gives them breathing room after feeling quite pressured as well.

Dash back to Nair in is useful because of the visual cue of moving away and also the space opening up being abruptly changed with an attack. It can also be its own tempo change too. However at full TR you'll get reliably punished by Fox and Marth if they're just watching you here as it's not particularly quick or massive of an option and has a ways to go before it hits them, so it usually needs laser help to make more threatening vs stuff like dash back.

Dash in WD back is like a stalled dash back but you give the opponent more time and space to act. Can be good if they want to wait a little longer to act or you want to let their shield run down/their lunge OOS to be more reliably punished with Fsmash or whatever.

Yeah the dash away I don't need to do much you're definitely right, and I know what you're talking about. It's an example of me screwing up with excessive movement. However, if you did want to do this in a more neutral sense it gives you a chance to move back a lot to counterhit someone or to gain space if you have that much room.

Dash in pressures, dash back is for the confirm they're not attacking into me(sometimes confirm other things), dash in very quick confirm they jump and then jump shine them. Very hard to do but I practiced it a ton vs Twitch so my reaction is very practiced with it. It helps to condition them to not come in first.

Might depend on how you land the hit. I'll FH Fair people in neutral at low percent for damage sometimes lol, or shine to FH Fair. If you can at least Bair/Nair and gain positional advantage then it's more worth it to me. Bair is just great damage no matter what to me so sometimes I'll just take the damage.

They don't have to jump OOS as you mentioned, and often it's better they try to WD OOS or shield grab or something especially if they can't/don't ASDI down punish out of it. So part of the dashes is letting their shield shrink, part is letting them not get away with just holding shield, part is weaving around the range they can technically get me OOS if they super read me, part is conditioning from this situation happening before, and part of it is what happened that led to the shield situation. So I can't really encompass all of that, but if you play with each variable maybe that's more useful. If not we can discuss it a little more in depth.

MambaGreenFalco

Smash Apprentice
I've been testing options against ps and I've found that if you try to nair in over a low ps laser then you can't ff or else the nair doesn't reach them, so imo doesn't seem that strong. But I've found that you can do the nair really late, or just not do it at all and maybe tomahawk grab? This mixup seems weak in theory so I'm not sure. Although maybe since people try to convert off of psing a Falco laser the early nair is good? I've been thinking that just straight up shielding the ps laser and then sh bair or sh dair oos is better. I've also tested immediate double jump. If you do low sh laser and then do immediate turn around immediate double jump then you can reach them with drift in bair. I like the immediate double jump better in theory than going in immediately with a shffl because you have more options with the drift and mixing up landing with waveland, tomahawk, laser, or aerial. I'm aware of zps the laser back at them but I'm looking for more consistent answers against ps. Right now I'm just using the instant double jump, waveland on platform, and sh over the ps laser into another laser.

Has anyone tested any of these options and can give me feedback on them? Are there any other options I should be considering when dealing with ps? Maybe like feint a laser with a short hop then waveland in?

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is quite the right thread for this kind of post, but I've recently been thinking about how to look neutral in MUs from more of a birds eye view and would like some feed back if you guys think this sort of framework/simplification is a useless over generalization or a good starting point to start formalizing my gameplans:

So maybe it’s a holdover from playing 2d fighters, but I was previously under the idea that spacing in neutral is primarily a horizontal thing. And that vertical spacing was so fundamentally different a gamestate that it had to be approached only on its own terms. After watching Mang0 vs None @ smash summit 6, I’m starting to get the sense that this sort of distinction might not be all that useful for playing the bird in certain MUs.

In this MU it seems to me like mang0’s movement both vertical and horizontal is chasing a sort of ‘decision’ bubble around Falcon. This bubble has a characteristic length or radius of about 1 Falco FH or horizontally the range where falcon dash > aerial or dash grab becomes easily reactable.

I guess this length scale is where streetfighter-esque footsies takes place? Inside the bubble you’re in mixup land, outside the bubble you’re ceding stage and your offense.

I’m not sure if this is a Babies first VoD Analysis kind of observation, or if it’s even a particularly generalizable concept outside of this one MU on tri-plat stages, but it has given me something new to think about and a new thing to experiment with.

Here are some examples from game 2 of the match:

1): Here Mang0 has None corned but was stuck moving around a platform, here he DJ fades back to center, giving him space to react to how none moves out of the corner. He could have done something like waveland off the side of the low platform and laser to lock none down, but opted to burn a double jump instead rather than commit to the option that pushes him into the mixup zone.

Mang0none1.png

2): Here the above situation is somewhat reversed, where Mang0’s grounded movement is maintaining the same distance as none goes to top plat.

Mang0none2.png

3): Here is a good example of the same distance from where Mang0 is in the decision bubble and both players are grounded. The distance from which the falco player can safely watch and react to how the opponent responds to laser seems to be a key feature that determines the bubble radius.

mang0none3.png

I have a couple of other examples from this game, but smashboards only lets me post 3. What do you guys think, is the idea of a bubble like a useful one to actively have in mind while playing? Is it obvious or am I just hallucinating and cherry-picking examples?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I've been testing options against ps and I've found that if you try to nair in over a low ps laser then you can't ff or else the nair doesn't reach them, so imo doesn't seem that strong. But I've found that you can do the nair really late, or just not do it at all and maybe tomahawk grab? This mixup seems weak in theory so I'm not sure. Although maybe since people try to convert off of psing a Falco laser the early nair is good? I've been thinking that just straight up shielding the ps laser and then sh bair or sh dair oos is better. I've also tested immediate double jump. If you do low sh laser and then do immediate turn around immediate double jump then you can reach them with drift in bair. I like the immediate double jump better in theory than going in immediately with a shffl because you have more options with the drift and mixing up landing with waveland, tomahawk, laser, or aerial. I'm aware of zps the laser back at them but I'm looking for more consistent answers against ps. Right now I'm just using the instant double jump, waveland on platform, and sh over the ps laser into another laser.

Has anyone tested any of these options and can give me feedback on them? Are there any other options I should be considering when dealing with ps? Maybe like feint a laser with a short hop then waveland in?
Backwards SH over laser to get another laser out(or mix that up) is also another option if you shoot low enough. I don't like empty land since most people want to take advantage of Falco not having laser control if they get a PS, but if you can keep someone in shield then empty land isn't so bad. DJ might actually not be a bad idea sometimes, I'll look into that. I'm wary of doing it vs Marth especially, but there may times it can still work.

Not sure if this is quite the right thread for this kind of post, but I've recently been thinking about how to look neutral in MUs from more of a birds eye view and would like some feed back if you guys think this sort of framework/simplification is a useless over generalization or a good starting point to start formalizing my gameplans:

So maybe it’s a holdover from playing 2d fighters, but I was previously under the idea that spacing in neutral is primarily a horizontal thing. And that vertical spacing was so fundamentally different a gamestate that it had to be approached only on its own terms. After watching Mang0 vs None @ smash summit 6, I’m starting to get the sense that this sort of distinction might not be all that useful for playing the bird in certain MUs.

In this MU it seems to me like mang0’s movement both vertical and horizontal is chasing a sort of ‘decision’ bubble around Falcon. This bubble has a characteristic length or radius of about 1 Falco FH or horizontally the range where falcon dash > aerial or dash grab becomes easily reactable.

I guess this length scale is where streetfighter-esque footsies takes place? Inside the bubble you’re in mixup land, outside the bubble you’re ceding stage and your offense.

I’m not sure if this is a Babies first VoD Analysis kind of observation, or if it’s even a particularly generalizable concept outside of this one MU on tri-plat stages, but it has given me something new to think about and a new thing to experiment with.

1): Here Mang0 has None corned but was stuck moving around a platform, here he DJ fades back to center, giving him space to react to how none moves out of the corner. He could have done something like waveland off the side of the low platform and laser to lock none down, but opted to burn a double jump instead rather than commit to the option that pushes him into the mixup zone.

View attachment 144271

2): Here the above situation is somewhat reversed, where Mang0’s grounded movement is maintaining the same distance as none goes to top plat.

View attachment 144272

3): Here is a good example of the same distance from where Mang0 is in the decision bubble and both players are grounded. The distance from which the falco player can safely watch and react to how the opponent responds to laser seems to be a key feature that determines the bubble radius.

View attachment 144273

I have a couple of other examples from this game, but smashboards only lets me post 3. What do you guys think, is the idea of a bubble like a useful one to actively have in mind while playing? Is it obvious or am I just hallucinating and cherry-picking examples?
I agree. I call this type of thing "threatening range," or the distance of a character's farthest reaching attack that is also quick. Falco and somewhat Falcon include FH in their threatening range, so you have to look at a bigger space than just ground to ground like you might in SF. From this neutral space, how one begins to push in and cancel out the opponents' options, or how far one lets the opponent come in while covering certain approach options becomes very important.

MambaGreenFalco

Smash Apprentice
Backwards SH over laser to get another laser out(or mix that up) is also another option if you shoot low enough. I don't like empty land since most people want to take advantage of Falco not having laser control if they get a PS, but if you can keep someone in shield then empty land isn't so bad. DJ might actually not be a bad idea sometimes, I'll look into that. I'm wary of doing it vs Marth especially, but there may times it can still work.

I agree. I call this type of thing "threatening range," or the distance of a character's farthest reaching attack that is also quick. Falco and somewhat Falcon include FH in their threatening range, so you have to look at a bigger space than just ground to ground like you might in SF. From this neutral space, how one begins to push in and cancel out the opponents' options, or how far one lets the opponent come in while covering certain approach options becomes very important.
By backwards SH do you mean turning around then doing sh towards the opponent to mixup between bair and laser? How would you keep them in shield even if they like to ps? By doing another sh laser over the ps laser?

Whys fox's full hop strong against marth but Falco's instant double jump isn't? Is Falco's full hop slightly too high? Is it because he doesn't have the option of double jumping away?

I've been exploring undershooting lately, I like the concept because the undershoot is a mixup between an aerial or a laser, similar to Falco's full hop landing mixups. But then you can retreating laser/bair, in place dair/up tilt/bair, or hard approach with another laser/nair. I've never explored this undershoot concept before except with laser. Do you think it would be less effective than Fox's undershoot nairs because Falco is slower? I feel like with Fox the dash back grab or dash in nair is a lot easier to understand and mixup, while with Falco doing good undershoots requires mixing up all the options I mentioned earlier.

What do you think about down throwing peach on a platform while she's at high percent? I feel like you could tech chase with f smash, and if she doesn't tech maybe do the charge d smash because Falco's legs are invincible?

When I'm about one or two characters lengths away from Sheik or Peach in a scuffle situation, I found that me and many other Falco's go for high sh dair, and the opponent simply shields. Not many other options feel "good" to me in that situation, should I simply mixup with a tomahawk grab? This position is especially hard for me when I'm cornered.

Right now my idea for tech chasing on platforms is to shine if they getup/miss tech, or dash attack if they tech left or right. I've seen that Ginger likes to f smash but I don't like how you don't get a follow up, even if the follow ups off of dash attack can be tough. What do you think about the difference between the two?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yes to your first set of questions.

Falco's FH goes too high and it takes him too long to get back down. Instant DJ gets around this but is much riskier because you risk your major saving option to do it, while Fox can regularly FH and still be effective.

Yeah I haven't messed with undershoot as much myself but am curious about it. Falco's worse dash and jumpsquat and slower rate of landing from SH make this harder to use but still possible sometimes I think. I think waveland back is still pretty good, and landing then turnaround Utilt/Bair can also be a decent application of undershoot in some cases.

I'm not sure how you'd throw a Peach onto a platform at high percent.

FH over, Ftilt, (AC) Bair, retreating Dair, and retreating laser are among your better options I believe. High Dair can be fine too, but it's quite common and those characters love to shield.

People can hold down during DA, so that's why Ginger Fsmashes. Especially Fsmashing people offstage for an edgeguard can be much a much higher reward than a combo if it gets an earlier and easier stock. I think shine can be okay but people can slideoff DI if they're on the edges now so it's not so good anymore(in the middle it's still great). If they tech roll to center I like just Bair'ing them offstage/toward edge at lower percents when shine doesn't launch so I can at least get damage and position(and maybe an edgeguard). You can also land and Bthrow like Westballz does for another edgeguard mixup or mix Bthrow and Uthrow for their own advantages.

Bones0

Smash Legend
MambaGreenFalco MambaGreenFalco I think dthrowing Peach on plats can be decent, especially since most Peaches are unaware of how to handle the situation and don't know to just slide off. Even if they do, I think if you're positioned in the center of the plat, or perhaps if your back is to the nearest ledge, she will struggle to get a slideoff without good SDI. It's definitely something to consider testing if you think it has potential. Don't be afraid to try things out in debug mode and post your results!

View attachment 144271

View attachment 144272

View attachment 144273

To add to what PP said, in my recent analysis I've almost exclusively been focusing on two things:
1. Stage control
2. Threat range (of both chars)

1. Stage control is important to keep in mind because the terrain around you and your opponent can limit or add to your pool of options. Using your third pic as an example, there's a big difference between Falco in center stage lasering a Falcon trapped in the corner and a Falco trapped in the corner lasering a Falcon in center stage. So while the bubble radius you describe is very important, you have to take it into context with stage positioning as well as percents to get a full picture of where their threat range really is.

2. The bubble you talk about is essentially threat range, but an important distinction to make is the action state of each character. If you are being dthrown by Falcon, then you don't have a threat range. That may seem quite obvious, but also consider if you dash away to escape their threat range and break out into a full run. Once you're in the run animation, the threat of you DDing back towards them and doing an attack is gone. I bring this up because you don't want to imagine every threat range as a perfectly spherical bubble, but more like "pre-hitboxes". Depending on what each character is doing, they are threatening different options, and you envision each option as a hitbox in itself.

To add a bit more complexity you can combine threat range with threat time as an additional variable. As a visual aid, you can envision that your fastest options (shine, utilt) are signified by dark red pre-hitboxes, and your slower/further away threats (SHL, dash SHFFL) are a faded red with them being lighter and lighter the more frames it would take to threaten with that option. For a fast character like Falcon, there is a much less drastic gradient within his threat range. His run up grab pre-hitbox would still be quite dark because of how fast it is, but Falco at the same range would have very light-colored pre-hitboxes reaching Falcon.

One final factor that makes things even more complicated is that percent can influence threat ranges as well by changing which options are feasible/worth worrying about. If Peach is at 0% and Falco is at 200%, Peach's nair threat range is obviously something you need to be aware of because if you don't respect it, she will nair even if it trades and KO you. If the percents are reversed, her nair range is less of a threat because if you're ready to bair her, a trade will not be in her favor, and even if she does land a nair, it won't knock down like a dash attack would (and you could weight dash attack as something very important to space around at low %s for this exact reason).

Last edited:

FlockOfFlames

Smash Rookie
PPMD, do you do coaching ? Im thinking one on one tournament match reviews for a price. If not, do you know someone who does ?
Someone who knows what he's talking about regarding Falco.

Cucumber

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know of any resources on getting quick Nana kills. Like the optimal stuff to go for based on percentages and stage positioning?

Bones0

Smash Legend
PPMD, do you do coaching ? Im thinking one on one tournament match reviews for a price. If not, do you know someone who does ?
Someone who knows what he's talking about regarding Falco.
Sami is obviously a good resource for coaching, but if he's booked up, you can also sub to Ginger on Twitch. I think he still does sub analysis, or maybe would do it for a certain donation amount.

Does anyone know of any resources on getting quick Nana kills. Like the optimal stuff to go for based on percentages and stage positioning?
Falco doesn't have many good options to gimp Nana imo. A few to mess around with:
- nair repeatedly (builds damage fastest in case you need to target switch back to Popo)
- fthrow fsmash (you can just raw fsmash ofc, but I find that the fthrow helps set it up more consistently

The most important thing to know about gimping Nana is she will DJ when she dips below Popo's current height. So if Popo is on a plat or jumping, she will DJ right when her entire body is below Popo's feet. If Popo is on stage, this essentially looks like Nana jumping right as her head dips below the ledge. The importance in knowing this trait is that after you knock her off stage, you can time a laser to catch her DJ. This avoids having to do a laggy attack on stage like fsmash or grabbing ledge and LH bairing, which can give Popo an opportunity to catch you without a jump. You are instead able to shoot the laser and immediately focus on Popo.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
MambaGreenFalco MambaGreenFalco
To add to what PP said, in my recent analysis I've almost exclusively been focusing on two things:

2. The bubble you talk about is essentially threat range, but an important distinction to make is the action state of each character. If you are being dthrown by Falcon, then you don't have a threat range. That may seem quite obvious, but also consider if you dash away to escape their threat range and break out into a full run. Once you're in the run animation, the threat of you DDing back towards them and doing an attack is gone. I bring this up because you don't want to imagine every threat range as a perfectly spherical bubble, but more like "pre-hitboxes". Depending on what each character is doing, they are threatening different options, and you envision each option as a hitbox in itself.

To add a bit more complexity you can combine threat range with threat time as an additional variable. As a visual aid, you can envision that your fastest options (shine, utilt) are signified by dark red pre-hitboxes, and your slower/further away threats (SHL, dash SHFFL) are a faded red with them being lighter and lighter the more frames it would take to threaten with that option. For a fast character like Falcon, there is a much less drastic gradient within his threat range. His run up grab pre-hitbox would still be quite dark because of how fast it is, but Falco at the same range would have very light-colored pre-hitboxes reaching Falcon.

One final factor that makes things even more complicated is that percent can influence threat ranges as well by changing which options are feasible/worth worrying about. If Peach is at 0% and Falco is at 200%, Peach's nair threat range is obviously something you need to be aware of because if you don't respect it, she will nair even if it trades and KO you. If the percents are reversed, her nair range is less of a threat because if you're ready to bair her, a trade will not be in her favor, and even if she does land a nair, it won't knock down like a dash attack would (and you could weight dash attack as something very important to space around at low %s for this exact reason).
Yeah I think it's pretty clear that the idea is more honestly formulated when approached from a micro perspective. Something that is emergent from the various hitbox properties and percent ranges rather than a top down idea that really generalize-able. One thing I wonder about is how much utility a somewhat dishonest simplification of the game might have as an idea to hold in mind in match.

It seems to me that there is a big difference between the best way to describe something after the fact in analysis or labbing, and how you formulate or explain your game-plan to yourself. What do you say to yourself when you get a little too lost in the flow mid-match to get yourself back to executing on gameplan? Thinking of something simplistic like 'bubbles' (or elliptical 'orbits" more naturally, for characters like marth/sheik whos grounded lateral threat range is much larger than their vertical one) might be just true enough to be useful.

It seems like more often than not the smash community is pretty good at the reverse engineering, technical breakdown of interactions in the game to the little-est bits. The forward problem of constructing usable heuristics and actionable game and practice plans seems to be where the most room for growth is.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
Generally when I say opening I mean an opportunity to attack the opponent directly or to at least get into a pressure position(usually the former). Smaller openings could be taking space due to taking a small win in a position, due to things like a lapse in opponent awareness or an increase in yours, or just overall understanding of a position, etc. Openings are basically what you try to make in a given position if you're aggressive, or what you want your opponent to present when being defensive.

Stalling out a dash is just letting a dash go to the later/end frames without immediately acting out of it. Generally I'd use it after laser, but it can really be either way. The reason I'd use it after laser more is it's safer then due to frame advantage and opponents often priming for an attack or another laser.

Depends on if I let the second dash go or not. Sometimes I just dash, wait a moment during dash, then dash in JC grab or laser or attack, etc. If I let the second dash go in for a full foxtrot then I'm usually more likely to laser out of it or back up iirc. Also to quickly clarify, I use foxtrot to say using two dashes forward in a row, so doing only a single dash isn't a foxtrot to me. This is why the term stalling a dash is useful to me, or simply a long dash can kinda work if you stretch the definition as well.
It's hard to say how I'd use it because I could use it before lasering because that usually requires conditioning/knowing what they look for. If they're just waiting for laser then this is good for preying on that for example, but it's also good if I hit them with immediate lasers more frequently/recently so they don't expect it generally.

Might be similar, but I'm waiting a bit to do the laser sometimes so I punish their confirm that I moved in and didn't attack/immediately laser so it might be a bit later than you're thinking about. That laser you mentioned is great though.

WD is cool because it lets you hold down, which is good vs most people trying to hit Falco out of the air and since he's usually not holding down they may make riskier plays. Also, WD moves you farther away than dash does, so retreating with it(and using momentum to SHL if needed) can be beneficial. Moving inward with it is more complicated but plays on some similar stuff. Getting access to Ftilt is great, and generally approaching in a wonky way that lets you walk shine or Ftilt that doesn't let them easily confirm since it's not a dash/SH in is surprisingly good. Not in every matchup equally, but I've found some fun playing around with it. Not a staple of course.

That reverse SH setup you mention is good, but that's not the only way to use it. Pressure like you said, but also on defense as I mentioned before makes it great due to Bair beating so much stuff and still giving you laser if they respect Bair(and movement if they try to counter both by going over or slight waiting etc). Like it's just great because laser is weak above and especially diagonally in front of Falco because Falco can't easily hit that space and laser takes a long time to come out. Using Bair threat to set up laser immediately makes it harder to handle each tool put together, and if you have a dominant position this also helps you hit people trying to avoid laser the typical way, as well as beating anyone trying to immediately attack after laser where you have space/time to counter with an immediate setup. There's lots to say but that might be the best way.

DJ waveland helps you dodge attacks then hit the opponent or observe what they do OR pressure someone sitting on a platform(ideally out of range to shield drop hit you, but not always). Also deepens your DJ cue. Empty land is similar but gives you access to falling back down to pressure/hit someone who rushed out or tried to punish the SH/DJ waveland or whatever.

Yes it's normal to take lots of effort at first. This is why I say to reduce complexity so you can just get started and get a decent, backed up gameplan going. Hmm my setup process? Well thinking back, it seems like I think about common options in matchups and develop some stuff that uses Falco's best strengths and hits the opponent as well as I can make it. Then I practice mixups from there. However, sometimes I'm just thinking about tools and a new deviation from what I already think is good comes to mind. In this case, I will think about what matchups it works best for, counters etc, and then decide where it can be most useful from that. At that point I begin practicing it. My ideas for tool influence and tool combinations come from my regular practice and analysis, and so it just sort of works out that I get new ideas I think. Maybe that helps.
If you find your end result is just doing lots of actions that don't do you so much good, then you'd want to do simple practice. Just do slightly more complex practice and do dash in WD back, then after that for a bit you can do dash in attack, or dash in WD back then attack in, etc. From this practice you're not exactly shadowboxing, but you're bridging the gap between practice and shadowboxing. I'm not sure if you skipped this step or not, but it sounds like where you should be right now. If it isn't habit in match then this is where you need to be.

Yeah I shadowbox edgeguards. It's surprisingly fun. Also helps me learn how far I can go offstage.

Fox can't FH in to cover laser while also covering your SH in. Also your SH in is great to hit Fox if he's waiting for you to act or wants to attack into your laser startup. Of course if they're just FH'ing in place you wouldn't want to do this and you're already keeping them honest then. Keeping honest is basically just another way to say they respect your options.
Faking a laser is done with a SH in place and then you can DJ or waveland or drift or whatever to dodge their attack. You could also just shoot a blank if they look like they're waiting for the gun to come out first.

Well you wouldn't FH Nair when he's at 0%, but assuming it's a useful percent you would FH Nair either after my grab lag ends, or after the laser(perhaps slightly closer for that). This mixes Fox up so he can't always Bair late and gives you easier punishes on his FH game. Moving in with laser vs the landing is hard to time since they could jump again, but if you alter your timing with dashes you can land near them as they land with laser out, it's just hard to do. You can also hope they hold shield or dash away after landing and laser in a little later if you confirm it a little late, which works more in my favor in this clip.

Yeah that's all kind of right. Longer dash back also gives them breathing room after feeling quite pressured as well.

Dash back to Nair in is useful because of the visual cue of moving away and also the space opening up being abruptly changed with an attack. It can also be its own tempo change too. However at full TR you'll get reliably punished by Fox and Marth if they're just watching you here as it's not particularly quick or massive of an option and has a ways to go before it hits them, so it usually needs laser help to make more threatening vs stuff like dash back.

Dash in WD back is like a stalled dash back but you give the opponent more time and space to act. Can be good if they want to wait a little longer to act or you want to let their shield run down/their lunge OOS to be more reliably punished with Fsmash or whatever.

Yeah the dash away I don't need to do much you're definitely right, and I know what you're talking about. It's an example of me screwing up with excessive movement. However, if you did want to do this in a more neutral sense it gives you a chance to move back a lot to counterhit someone or to gain space if you have that much room.

Dash in pressures, dash back is for the confirm they're not attacking into me(sometimes confirm other things), dash in very quick confirm they jump and then jump shine them. Very hard to do but I practiced it a ton vs Twitch so my reaction is very practiced with it. It helps to condition them to not come in first.

Might depend on how you land the hit. I'll FH Fair people in neutral at low percent for damage sometimes lol, or shine to FH Fair. If you can at least Bair/Nair and gain positional advantage then it's more worth it to me. Bair is just great damage no matter what to me so sometimes I'll just take the damage.

They don't have to jump OOS as you mentioned, and often it's better they try to WD OOS or shield grab or something especially if they can't/don't ASDI down punish out of it. So part of the dashes is letting their shield shrink, part is letting them not get away with just holding shield, part is weaving around the range they can technically get me OOS if they super read me, part is conditioning from this situation happening before, and part of it is what happened that led to the shield situation. So I can't really encompass all of that, but if you play with each variable maybe that's more useful. If not we can discuss it a little more in depth.

"Dash in pressures, dash back is for the confirm they're not attacking into me(sometimes confirm other things), dash in very quick confirm they jump and then jump shine them. Very hard to do but I practiced it a ton vs Twitch so my reaction is very practiced with it. It helps to condition them to not come in first."

I find this very very hard to do as well, I have tried to corporate it many times but i'm pretty sure i'm pre-empting my jump shine.
What would you do if you confirmed them doing dash forward nair on your dash back?
What would you do if you confirmed them holding shield on your third dash forward? Would you rinse and repeat or maybe switch setups?

Okay I think you've given me a bunch of information on what you would do regarding foxtrots and stalled dashes. I'm now wondering, why do longer stalled dashes broken into a foxtrot or not instead of just the regular dash or two or three? What makes it different in effective utility than these dashes?

Can you give me an example of doing laser in place which lands on shieks shield from a mid distance > stalled dash forward > foxtrot forward into (laser / dash back / etc)

Imagine the laser hits her shield at a med distance and she does retreating fair oos versus approaching nair oos vs wavedash back, can you tell me what you'd do on confirmation / read of these options?
Sorry if this is silly i'm just very very interested and trying to imagine a specific set up and use of foxtrot to beat various options.

Would you do stall dashes backwards after firing a laser? Even into foxtrot?

I am just trying to get a stronger feel for your idea with the tool.

Second on stalled dashes / foxtrots.
I imagine doing these forward after laser is bad if you expect them to immediately attack and they can hit you during the dash forward. I imagine these would mainly be good when they are at a med / longer range, which is a range I would opt to approaching laser generally

Also, when watching your vods at canada cup I felt like you were transitioning to a more longer / stalled dash oriented gameplan. Was my assumption right? As in your old vods you sure do love the tight slight dashes alot (along with some longer). Is this maybe a correct observation?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah I wouldn't go for that shine, just some type of setup that lets you FH/SH DJ Bair since both can be safer but the SH DJ can also be faster if you start the SH as/before they jump.
If they dash forward Nair, you Bair them assuming they're SH'ing. If they FH then you can sometimes Bair, but you may need to dash back under them and laser or WD to get directly under them if Nair is already out to hold down and CC shine if you feel it's worth. You could also WD to dodge the Nair if it's FH. Kinda depends. I guess if they rising SH Nair you can dash in shield and shine OOS too(I forget if you can do this to FH Nair but they can also drift easier here).
If I confirmed shield, I could do many things. I could laser, or dash in to threaten grab or pressure such as pivot Bair or JC/running shine for example.

I think you typo'd your foxtrot question lol. From your last question though, it is usually doing two dashes together but in a specific way. I just specify because Brawl I guess, and you could easily call it double dashing or something to differentiate it from dash dancing. The utility is in its contrast to DD since you're not switching directions and also because it's kind of a jerky forward motion.

An example in a match? I don't remember if I've done that or not but it's unlikely since I didn't used that type of play much in tourney.

Depends on when she does those options. Is it right after laser hits, right as I start to move, or right as I move again?

It's honestly not an amazing tool and more of a mixup than a staple(common good option) I'd say, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I don't watch most of my older Falco matches much because I intensely dislike them, but this does sound plausible since I needed more time to observe what was happening so I'd switch to a slower way to play.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I wouldn't go for that shine, just some type of setup that lets you FH/SH DJ Bair since both can be safer but the SH DJ can also be faster if you start the SH as/before they jump.
If they dash forward Nair, you Bair them assuming they're SH'ing. If they FH then you can sometimes Bair, but you may need to dash back under them and laser or WD to get directly under them if Nair is already out to hold down and CC shine if you feel it's worth. You could also WD to dodge the Nair if it's FH. Kinda depends. I guess if they rising SH Nair you can dash in shield and shine OOS too(I forget if you can do this to FH Nair but they can also drift easier here).
If I confirmed shield, I could do many things. I could laser, or dash in to threaten grab or pressure such as pivot Bair or JC/running shine for example.

I think you typo'd your foxtrot question lol. From your last question though, it is usually doing two dashes together but in a specific way. I just specify because Brawl I guess, and you could easily call it double dashing or something to differentiate it from dash dancing. The utility is in its contrast to DD since you're not switching directions and also because it's kind of a jerky forward motion.

An example in a match? I don't remember if I've done that or not but it's unlikely since I didn't used that type of play much in tourney.

Depends on when she does those options. Is it right after laser hits, right as I start to move, or right as I move again?

It's honestly not an amazing tool and more of a mixup than a staple(common good option) I'd say, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I don't watch most of my older Falco matches much because I intensely dislike them, but this does sound plausible since I needed more time to observe what was happening so I'd switch to a slower way to play.
Yeah I was kind asking for you to give me a hypothetical example with a setup involving the foxtrot. I'm just curious really.

Can you tell me just why you intensely dislike our old falco so much.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I like it when someone is conditioned to shield or back up as I come in. Really makes them second-guess what they want to do and even if they're unsure it gives me enough safety to laser or back up and laser.

I just stopped lasering well like we've talked about before, but I also just dropped mad punishes after Pound 5(not counting some Smashers Reunion stuff). I was just so focused on learning about dashes that I stopped focusing on bringing that back in with Falco because I didn't want to stop moving to shoot. It's just poor play that doesn't do the character or myself justice. That doesn't mean there isn't anything useful in there, but I can't watch most of it unless it's to help someone learn.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
I like it when someone is conditioned to shield or back up as I come in. Really makes them second-guess what they want to do and even if they're unsure it gives me enough safety to laser or back up and laser.

I just stopped lasering well like we've talked about before, but I also just dropped mad punishes after Pound 5(not counting some Smashers Reunion stuff). I was just so focused on learning about dashes that I stopped focusing on bringing that back in with Falco because I didn't want to stop moving to shoot. It's just poor play that doesn't do the character or myself justice. That doesn't mean there isn't anything useful in there, but I can't watch most of it unless it's to help someone learn.
So then how does mang0 not do the character justice now? He clearly doesn't have the overfocus on dash like you think you did.
Just a lack of proper use of lasers to slow people down?

In general, how can someone go about bringing justice to this character now without accidentally over-focusing on some element that might hurt them? Is it a just right equilibrium between laser, dash, and vertical / ground play?

What are falco's strongest tools?
Would doing justice to falco just involve maximizing and equalizing the use of his strongest tools?

Sorry very general questions can't help it =P

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't agree with how consistently little he lasers(and the inaccuracy of them) and his overall lower patience when forced to wait most times.

People can focus on whatever they like and that's what is good about having unique Melee approaches. Ideally you want to round yourself out with things you focus less on eventually.

Edit: Maybe I should say that it's more about me doing my own best to bring out the character. I wouldn't expect someone else's to look like my own but we just have to do our best and that's how the character gets pushed most. I feel I didn't do my part.

Last edited:

M47riX

Smash Rookie
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee So recently I learned about soft-input l-cancels and its upside and I wanted to ask if this is something one should always do?

If not - why? Are there any MU's where it's more useful than others?

My second question is: What do you think about using Uair or Fair as shield pressure? I like the idea of using an aerial with 2 hits where the first hit is high and the second is low to throw of the timing of the enemy or shield poke him (as a mixup of course). Especially Uair can lead to some good follow-ups in certain situations... do you believe it is a valid option sometimes or is it generally to risky?

Much love from Germany! =)

Last edited:

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
So this talk about mang0 has me pretty intrigued, because studying his bird has started to change both how I viewed the game and about more general competitive smash pedagogy. Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'd love to know if you think I'm barking up the right tree with my current line of thought.

So I've heard time and time again players lumped into two camps, as either analytical or intuitive. There's all sorts of history in this breakdown between the east coast vs west coast playstyle debates, but the more I think about it, the more I'm sure that this is a false dichotomy. The more I study Mang0's play, the more frustrated I get with the semi-mystical tone that people use when describing his 'reads' and more generally his decision tree. It's almost like most people would rather keep the narrative that he's in touch with some mystic plane of melee not accessible by mortals than actually break down what he's doing and incorporate it into their own play.

My take on it is this: Lots of the discussion of the bird's neutral focuses on tactical/positional play that emphasizes Falco's ability safe laser play and big hitboxes. This line of thought is that Falco's win condition is best obtained by using his tools to maximize 'absolute' advantage, or the type of advantage analysis we do when we pause a VoD and map out every option treating. In this framework risk/reward estimation is usually seen as the emergent solely from game mechanics and is invariant from game to game.

In contrast, I think Mang0's style is designed to maximize 'propositional' advantage. In the absolute framework if player A can choose option 1 or 2, and both have equal risk and equal payoff, we assume that they have equal probability of occuring. When dealing with propositional advantage, we start with some assumed model of player behavior, then adjust the probability weights based on observations we make in match.

Now the community has been talking about reads, mindgames, conditioning, mix-ups, habits, adaptation, etc. for years at this point. Why add a bunch of new confusing terminology and probability terms to a discussion that so well worn? First off, I’m a math/stats nerd, and I think that the intuitive/analytical or read based/positional dichotomies are really just Frequentist vs.Bayesian approaches to the game in disguise. Secondly I think that if we look at Melee through a Bayesian inference and optimization lens, it will give a new and useful ways to describe what exactly Mang0 does to achieve his win condition.

The process goes something like this. You enter a MU with a ‘propositional’ model and a chosen gameplan. Game play interactions, both positive and negative, generate data which the player then filters into observations which they use to classify their opponent. This classification updates the probability weights in the ‘propositional’ model which now adapts to favors certain options. Now with the new updated model, the player then attempts to adapt gameplan to account for the change in model. The gameplay loop looks like this:

1. Collect Data

2. Filter Data

3. Classification

4. Update Propositional Model

5. Update Gameplan

6. Execute Gameplan

7. Go to: 1

It’s not hard to cook up a scenario where a ‘propositional’ model of player behavior provides a much clearer and more obvious win condition than the ‘absolute’ style thinking. For instance, even if respecting fox’s ledge dash is optimal in some ‘absolute’ sense, if your opponent lands one ‘atta’ sloppy LD and tournament winners a bunch of other times, it becomes stupid to not pressure him more at the ledge.

So what does any of this have to do with Falco? I think in this view of the game, Mang0 views falco’s strengths as relating more to data than to absolute advantage. Lasers can be seen more as questions that demand answers, than as a safe approach or for their pure frame adv. The important question then isn’t “should I do this yolo dair?” but “will they let me land this yolo dair?”. The yolo elements of Mang0’s style can be explained as an instinct that is willing to ‘absolute’ advantage for data, and a bold confidence that his filters and classifiers will allow him to get a read on you faster and from less data than you can on him. This perspective on the game harkens back to the Melee=Poker analogy Mang0 and Tafo seem so fond of. Falco’s strength as a character boils down to his ability to force your opponent to flinch to get a read, while minimizing your own tells.

The reason I came up with this massive wall of text was because when I was asking myself "what is mang0 good at", I found I lacked any real language to describe it. And I thought it might be worth sharing these thoughts since I think it could provide a constructive framework for the 'intuitive' side of Melee that could be used in a coaching/teaching setting.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee So recently I learned about soft-input l-cancels and its upside and I wanted to ask if this is something one should always do?

If not - why? Are there any MU's where it's more useful than others?

My second question is: What do you think about using Uair or Fair as shield pressure? I like the idea of using an aerial with 2 hits where the first hit is high and the second is low to throw of the timing of the enemy or shield poke him (as a mixup of course). Especially Uair can lead to some good follow-ups in certain situations... do you believe it is a valid option sometimes or is it generally to risky?

Much love from Germany! =)
I'll admit I haven't looked into soft L-cancels in a minute, but they're normally good if I'm remembering them correctly.

Uair is just very unsafe unless you mean vs platform opponents, then it can be okay to shield poke. Fair is also kind of okay but you don't get much off of hitting shield or catching them at all because the lag on Fair is kinda bad. That being said Fair can be okay as a very occasional tool just because you can mix doing 2 or 3 hits.

So this talk about mang0 has me pretty intrigued, because studying his bird has started to change both how I viewed the game and about more general competitive smash pedagogy. Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'd love to know if you think I'm barking up the right tree with my current line of thought.

So I've heard time and time again players lumped into two camps, as either analytical or intuitive. There's all sorts of history in this breakdown between the east coast vs west coast playstyle debates, but the more I think about it, the more I'm sure that this is a false dichotomy. The more I study Mang0's play, the more frustrated I get with the semi-mystical tone that people use when describing his 'reads' and more generally his decision tree. It's almost like most people would rather keep the narrative that he's in touch with some mystic plane of melee not accessible by mortals than actually break down what he's doing and incorporate it into their own play.

My take on it is this: Lots of the discussion of the bird's neutral focuses on tactical/positional play that emphasizes Falco's ability safe laser play and big hitboxes. This line of thought is that Falco's win condition is best obtained by using his tools to maximize 'absolute' advantage, or the type of advantage analysis we do when we pause a VoD and map out every option treating. In this framework risk/reward estimation is usually seen as the emergent solely from game mechanics and is invariant from game to game.

In contrast, I think Mang0's style is designed to maximize 'propositional' advantage. In the absolute framework if player A can choose option 1 or 2, and both have equal risk and equal payoff, we assume that they have equal probability of occuring. When dealing with propositional advantage, we start with some assumed model of player behavior, then adjust the probability weights based on observations we make in match.

Now the community has been talking about reads, mindgames, conditioning, mix-ups, habits, adaptation, etc. for years at this point. Why add a bunch of new confusing terminology and probability terms to a discussion that so well worn? First off, I’m a math/stats nerd, and I think that the intuitive/analytical or read based/positional dichotomies are really just Frequentist vs.Bayesian approaches to the game in disguise. Secondly I think that if we look at Melee through a Bayesian inference and optimization lens, it will give a new and useful ways to describe what exactly Mang0 does to achieve his win condition.

The process goes something like this. You enter a MU with a ‘propositional’ model and a chosen gameplan. Game play interactions, both positive and negative, generate data which the player then filters into observations which they use to classify their opponent. This classification updates the probability weights in the ‘propositional’ model which now adapts to favors certain options. Now with the new updated model, the player then attempts to adapt gameplan to account for the change in model. The gameplay loop looks like this:

1. Collect Data

2. Filter Data

3. Classification

4. Update Propositional Model

5. Update Gameplan

6. Execute Gameplan

7. Go to: 1

It’s not hard to cook up a scenario where a ‘propositional’ model of player behavior provides a much clearer and more obvious win condition than the ‘absolute’ style thinking. For instance, even if respecting fox’s ledge dash is optimal in some ‘absolute’ sense, if your opponent lands one ‘atta’ sloppy LD and tournament winners a bunch of other times, it becomes stupid to not pressure him more at the ledge.

So what does any of this have to do with Falco? I think in this view of the game, Mang0 views falco’s strengths as relating more to data than to absolute advantage. Lasers can be seen more as questions that demand answers, than as a safe approach or for their pure frame adv. The important question then isn’t “should I do this yolo dair?” but “will they let me land this yolo dair?”. The yolo elements of Mang0’s style can be explained as an instinct that is willing to ‘absolute’ advantage for data, and a bold confidence that his filters and classifiers will allow him to get a read on you faster and from less data than you can on him. This perspective on the game harkens back to the Melee=Poker analogy Mang0 and Tafo seem so fond of. Falco’s strength as a character boils down to his ability to force your opponent to flinch to get a read, while minimizing your own tells.

The reason I came up with this massive wall of text was because when I was asking myself "what is mang0 good at", I found I lacked any real language to describe it. And I thought it might be worth sharing these thoughts since I think it could provide a constructive framework for the 'intuitive' side of Melee that could be used in a coaching/teaching setting.
Yeah Mango is good at not wasting time and forcing interactions and making people respect his threats on his dash in. The times he lasers or dashes back he gets to observe what they do and get his info so he can go in. There's nothing wrong with this, but high Dairs are generally super unsafe so they require very specific reads and actions he doesn't always have, and otherwise you need slightly more patience at times to get in, which he isn't willing to use. That being said he actually makes his gameplan pretty simple, which is why it's always been odd to say it's all reads or whatever. Simple gameplans are great since they don't put lots of pressure on your brain to do tech or hard complicated plays and just let you put everyone into boxes quickly. Not sure if that directly addresses your point since I tend to forget what terms like Bayesian mean, but this is how I view it and there seems to be decent overlap.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
I'll admit I haven't looked into soft L-cancels in a minute, but they're normally good if I'm remembering them correctly.

Uair is just very unsafe unless you mean vs platform opponents, then it can be okay to shield poke. Fair is also kind of okay but you don't get much off of hitting shield or catching them at all because the lag on Fair is kinda bad. That being said Fair can be okay as a very occasional tool just because you can mix doing 2 or 3 hits.

Yeah Mango is good at not wasting time and forcing interactions and making people respect his threats on his dash in. The times he lasers or dashes back he gets to observe what they do and get his info so he can go in. There's nothing wrong with this, but high Dairs are generally super unsafe so they require very specific reads and actions he doesn't always have, and otherwise you need slightly more patience at times to get in, which he isn't willing to use. That being said he actually makes his gameplan pretty simple, which is why it's always been odd to say it's all reads or whatever. Simple gameplans are great since they don't put lots of pressure on your brain to do tech or hard complicated plays and just let you put everyone into boxes quickly. Not sure if that directly addresses your point since I tend to forget what terms like Bayesian mean, but this is how I view it and there seems to be decent overlap.
How do you feel about "drive by" high dairs, like wizzy has been implementing against armada? I've been using it callout forward movement a recently to try and force tech scenarios on hit. With full momentum it seems relatively safe on block as a crossup. On hit best case scenario you get an panic tech roll in and a free punish, but worst case it seems like you get stage and a freeish laser approach on tech away, and freeish pressure on tech in place. Is this a tactic that will get blown up at higher levels? I haven't tested its susceptibility to much wavedash back oos punishes yet, but it feels pretty safe even on weak dair on shield.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I like crossup Dairs more to get out of the corner since you either hit a movement away or you get out and it's hard to beat. But aside from that, you're not really at a massive advantage when landing behind them if you hit shield so you have to see what they're going for. Still being behind people can be pretty good, like Sheik/Marth for example. If you hit with Dair then what Mango would do is turnaround/dash in grab which is pretty good and hard to deal with.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hey PP, how do you think Falco should deal with shielding Puff? When I aerial shine her shield, a few things tend to happen:
1. She tries to shield grab and DIs in case my shine hits
2. She tries to shield grab after my shine
3. She usmashes OoS

#1 is annoying because she gets to disrespect my pressure for free with the upside of a shield grab uthrow combo and the downside is basically nothing because shine doesn't combo into anything if she DIs.

#2 is fine if I aerial after my shine, which is usually what I do, but #3 hard counters it by trading or winning outright, and her WD OoS goes under it as well. I would love to just shinegrab a lot because at least the throw gives me decent positioning, but it's actually quite risky because of her spotdodge grab. Waveshining away is another option I'd like to have in my arsenal, but if they resort to #2 then I have to worry about getting grabbed before I can slide away since her grab has surprisingly good range.

Do I just have to win these mixups even though they're high risk low reward? The only other option I can think of that I haven't really tried is to shine and FH/DJ away from her which gives me nothing unless she commits to a shield grab/usmash, and puts me in a terrible position above her if she just holds shield and is able to uair me on my way back down.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I used to shine FH a lot in case people tried to shield grab, and iirc her Uair doesn't beat your Dair or anything so I'm not sure why you're worried about it. It is true that if you don't get anything she can still reposition though.
Also, you can always just space a little bit on her shield or shine and SH away a little to space on her since her shield isn't great and any amount of pressure leaves her very shield stabbable. Since she's slow OOS if she can't do the options you mentioned that's always been fine with me and often forces rolls. I also don't find Usmash OOS too bad unless I'm behind her but it is true it can be an issue on both sides sometimes.

Spotdodge grab? I've never heard of a Puff doing that. Shine grab was always my go-to besides that stuff I listed, but if that becomes a common option I could see myself spacing on her shield more often. Perhaps double shine should be implemented more to avoid this, though of course shield DI can still be an issue here. Her holding away as I start pressure could open up some more shield stabs, so that's a trade I'm okay with.

Perhaps it's worth playing with shine FH or spacing pressure or double shine more and focusing slightly less on closer aerial shine pressure and shine grabbing...or at least shine grabbing little enough so you don't see spotdodge attempts anymore so you can work that back in.

I also just like laser grab, and I'm okay with forcing spotdodge here as I can Fsmash on a read or just set up spaced pressure and hit her out of it if she's wrong which can still be pretty good.

I don't worry about Puff's shield too much despite what you've said because her shield isn't great and her range and mobility OOS isn't too good so I think this can still be okay. Does any of this help?

Top Bottom