• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Yoffa

Smash Rookie
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Apex 2014 vs mang0:

On dreamland you jump back off ledge and cancel illusion on side plat. Is this something worth having in my bag of tricks like something I could throw out once a set? Or is this outdated.

On a side not I'm wondering what your bag of tricks is? (a tech you've learned that isn't really optimal at all , but if your opponent hasn't dealt with is really good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsrc1tHIjfc#t=05m32s <link to moment in question

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That's still okay because you could edgecancel it, but usually I wouldn't recommend it honestly. People already stand back/stay on the platform to cover edgedash a lot now so they're just have to stick out a move to punish it. Watch your opponents and decide!

kaptinkillem

Smash Cadet
I feel kinda lost when picking stages vs marth. Pretty much always strikes to battle field, but I don't like it all that much because I tend to recover low a lot and just rely on teching hits, I feel like falco's recovery is significantly worse on bf. Marths always ban DL, and I tend to go to fountain. Not cuz I particularly love fountain in the matchup, but more because the platforms on PS scare me and being so close to marth on Yoshi's scares me. I just don't feel very confident going into sets vs marth about stages I should be picking, and don't feel like I have solid reasoning. Dr Peepee Dr Peepee do you think you could give a really quick overview of what stages you like vs marth, just so I have ideas to guide my thinking? Would really appreciate it :)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yoshis is an underrated pick because you can hit really hard and still recover well here, and you have wide platforms to make great use of. BF I'm kinda with you on that since Marth getting a little more space and easier edgeguards really helps him. I tend to like PS a lot too since I also like FD as Falco but PS has transformations that mess up Marth's game and help Falco's, and the platforms on neutral PS give Falco ways out of the CG but enhance his own punish. FoD I'm not too sure about it's kind of awkward and FD is obviously not desirable and DL is obviously desirable. The stage spread can be awkward for both characters here, and the best solution of course is to learn to play on every stage as well as possible.

AnonymousID

Smash Cadet
How much of an impact would you guys say having good sleep has on your gameplay? I didn't sleep too good for the last two days and my melee game was completely off, I couldn't focus or react anywhere near how I want to or how I did before. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences.

TallandGangly

Smash Cadet
Wrote this in /r/ssbm, couldn't hurt to post it here as well. I find myself lost when dealing with sheiks who spend a lot of time on side platforms throwing needles at me. I have a tough time not getting caught by needle->grab/run off fair -> ftilt. I feel like in the matchup, I spend alot of time trying to get underneath the platform that sheik is on, or I'm on the opposite side of the stage just for sheik to come to me. How should I approach this matchup?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
How much of an impact would you guys say having good sleep has on your gameplay? I didn't sleep too good for the last two days and my melee game was completely off, I couldn't focus or react anywhere near how I want to or how I did before. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences.
It means just what you said it means. Do it or you can't function properly.
Wrote this in /r/ssbm, couldn't hurt to post it here as well. I find myself lost when dealing with sheiks who spend a lot of time on side platforms throwing needles at me. I have a tough time not getting caught by needle->grab/run off fair -> ftilt. I feel like in the matchup, I spend alot of time trying to get underneath the platform that sheik is on, or I'm on the opposite side of the stage just for sheik to come to me. How should I approach this matchup?
Well it can depend on stage, as on YS/FoD/PS you can Bair and sometimes utilt the shield reliably. If it's BF/DL then you need to:

-go high and do lasers(sometimes)
-get under with uair/utilt(even if it doesn't hit you should be safe)
-DD around their threat range and force them to attack or lose their shield durability(my personal favorite)
-fh over her/use top platform and fall with spaced dair/bair(her uair makes this less of a good idea but still not bad depending on angle and conditioning)

Make sure you're flirting with but staying out of range of the needles and fairs you mentioned.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Is anybody willing to give a big writeup on the Falco ditto? Trying to learn it more by grinding it out on netplay, but it's stupidly obnoxious for me.

Yort

Smash Apprentice
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , what are your general guidelines for shield pressuring shiek?

I notice you doing a lot of shine grab and shine retreating nair.

Also, how significant is whiff punishing in the shiek mu? I know you said it's very important in the marth mu but I also think this applies to shiek.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Is anybody willing to give a big writeup on the Falco ditto? Trying to learn it more by grinding it out on netplay, but it's stupidly obnoxious for me.
Don't feel like doing a big writeup, but it is a pain of a matchup. Having the laser out is desirable, and if not you either outplay them or go high so you can get your own laser out. Once it's out you take advantage as much as possible without letting them escape.

Another thing I've noticed in this matchup is that you can either opt to go in hard or do slower workarounds to hit the opponent. There isn't much middle ground unfortunately.
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , what are your general guidelines for shield pressuring shiek?

I notice you doing a lot of shine grab and shine retreating nair.

Also, how significant is whiff punishing in the shiek mu? I know you said it's very important in the marth mu but I also think this applies to shiek.
Shine grab is great if Sheik is slow on Nair oos or does anything else. Shine retreating Nair beats her Nair and it's good pressure. You could also grounded double shine but it's not foolproof, though it has more reward than retreating Nair and can set up for more pressure if it doesn't get punished, whereas Nair is safer.

It's pretty true vs Sheik as well since Sheik also has big moves that can stuff yours. A big thing to remember is Falco is slow, so he cannot always get a punish even in obvious lag. He can however move closer with laser and then be at a greater advantage than before which can translate to more damage. Falcos often think they need to fully swing in but this is not the case and the character doesn't seem to work well there as an always tactic.

TallandGangly

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to consistently practice punishing certain moves? Sheik's dsmash for instance. I always feel like I'm slow to wd oos to punish it, but I'm pretty sure that most people punish it by wd shine. Is there a way to practice that on 20xx?

garmeth06

Smash Rookie
I'm a new player and I'm just trying to learn the basics. I play on netplay only and I am wondering how useful just a straight up shffl dair is on shield from a pointblank type of scenario.

My problem is that if I'm super close to someone in shield, and I do a shffl dair high, I feel like my opponent will just grab me 99% of the time. Conversely, if I do a late dair, the attack seems incredibly slow and incredibly vulnerable to random attacks before I extend the dair hitbox. I looked it up and the short hop cant even be fastfalled until frame 14.

Am I being too predictable, or should I default to shine grabs, grabs, and just not dairing on shield from a standing point blank position?

Unfortunately, I really hate grab and find the followups to grab extremely unintuitive and more DI dependent than any other of Falco's good moves.

Last edited:

TallandGangly

Smash Cadet
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Just wanted to say that I've been studying your matches alot recently, really trying to improve my neutral and my understanding of the Puff matchup. I spent the last week telling my buddy that I wanted to play against a specific Puff player because I knew I could beat him. On top of that, it would be my first good win in tournament.

Tonight, at a local, I got not only my first, but also my second good win in tournament. I beat a puff player who is known as a gatekeeper for who is a "decent" player in our scene, and a solid fox main in a bo5! Got 4th at the local, just outside the money. But I just wanted to thank you for all of the work you've put in to grow Falco as a character, and thanks for being so active on the boards to answer questions that you've probably answered a million times already. You are the best!

Last edited:

MewtwoForce

Smash Cadet
So i've got an interesting situation. There's another game I wanted to get good at but wasn't improving very quickly. I had the good fortune of befriending somebody who was top 5% or higher at the game. They showed me exactly what I should be thinking about and working on to ensure I could become as good at the game as I wanted.

I learned something important from this. The way I was originally practicing was a wild goosechase. It NEVER would have gotten me good! And the tips I received were outside of how I was thinking about the game. So I wonder if those ideas and priorities would have ever dawned on me at all. This was also amazing because it showed me that it wasn't me that was the problem. It was how I was going about it. And it showed me that if the way I practice is good enough, I can get good. No matter how untalented or bad I thought I was before.

So now I understand that my improvement strat is a wild goosechase in melee right now. What I want to understand is how to study and practice the game to ensure that I am headed to top 5 at a reasonable speed. And..i'm not really sure how to define what that practice should be.

I'm especially overwhelmed at the sea of tutorial videos and guides out there. It's hard for me to tell whats worth my time and what isn't and I feel there's a huge risk of me wasting my time getting lost in all of that.

PPMD if you want to continue this further with me in PM to help further explain how to train to get to top 5 i'll be available for that and will gladly work on whatever you tell me. I have optimal conditions for improving right now. Many hours a day to practice everyday. IRL training partner living with me that I can keep improving as I improve. Tournament scene. It's all there. So the advice wouldn't be wasted.

And of course, if I get that good i'll try to give back and explain how I did this

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Is there a way to consistently practice punishing certain moves? Sheik's dsmash for instance. I always feel like I'm slow to wd oos to punish it, but I'm pretty sure that most people punish it by wd shine. Is there a way to practice that on 20xx?
Just check out the 20XX thread in the Melee section it should have the 20XX info on how to do that.
I'm a new player and I'm just trying to learn the basics. I play on netplay only and I am wondering how useful just a straight up shffl dair is on shield from a pointblank type of scenario.

My problem is that if I'm super close to someone in shield, and I do a shffl dair high, I feel like my opponent will just grab me 99% of the time. Conversely, if I do a late dair, the attack seems incredibly slow and incredibly vulnerable to random attacks before I extend the dair hitbox. I looked it up and the short hop cant even be fastfalled until frame 14.

Am I being too predictable, or should I default to shine grabs, grabs, and just not dairing on shield from a standing point blank position?

Unfortunately, I really hate grab and find the followups to grab extremely unintuitive and more DI dependent than any other of Falco's good moves.
Yeah Dair is kind of problematic like that. Nair you can do more middle timings and still beat their OOS options so that's worth keeping in mind. However, there are other solutions, like spaced Dair/Bair/Nair, or laser grab/shine, or stuff you mentioned. Dair is great if you're sure it will hit but otherwise it can be very risky especially at low percents when it won't knockdown.
So i've got an interesting situation. There's another game I wanted to get good at but wasn't improving very quickly. I had the good fortune of befriending somebody who was top 5% or higher at the game. They showed me exactly what I should be thinking about and working on to ensure I could become as good at the game as I wanted.

I learned something important from this. The way I was originally practicing was a wild goosechase. It NEVER would have gotten me good! And the tips I received were outside of how I was thinking about the game. So I wonder if those ideas and priorities would have ever dawned on me at all. This was also amazing because it showed me that it wasn't me that was the problem. It was how I was going about it. And it showed me that if the way I practice is good enough, I can get good. No matter how untalented or bad I thought I was before.

So now I understand that my improvement strat is a wild goosechase in melee right now. What I want to understand is how to study and practice the game to ensure that I am headed to top 5 at a reasonable speed. And..i'm not really sure how to define what that practice should be.

I'm especially overwhelmed at the sea of tutorial videos and guides out there. It's hard for me to tell whats worth my time and what isn't and I feel there's a huge risk of me wasting my time getting lost in all of that.

PPMD if you want to continue this further with me in PM to help further explain how to train to get to top 5 i'll be available for that and will gladly work on whatever you tell me. I have optimal conditions for improving right now. Many hours a day to practice everyday. IRL training partner living with me that I can keep improving as I improve. Tournament scene. It's all there. So the advice wouldn't be wasted.

And of course, if I get that good i'll try to give back and explain how I did this
It would help to know what you did incorrectly before and how you changed it. You could probably apply general ideas to Melee.

Anyway, I don't really like most tutorials out there. Luckily, the new 20XX can solve many problems I would have had with people practicing alone. Before getting to that, I should go over the things I tell everyone I work with to do:

-practice combos and combo setups(using 20XX save state this helps a lot), and be sure to change stage position/stage

-practice edgeplay, which is the getting back onstage and edgeguarding part of the game

-most importantly, to me, is to practice basics. do not stop doing basic tech. wavedash many times. edgedash many times. laser many times(if you're falco). Eventually you will feel a connection with the tools and the game if you do it enough, and are thinking about how these tools work separately and eventually when connected to one another.

-that said, DO NOT DO MINDLESS TECH SPAM! that is never a good idea. in a match, you won't be able to just mash your face on the controller and fight, you have to adapt to an opponent with ingrained timings. these timings can be built as you combine your individual techs together and think of their purpose

-practice beating specific moves/tech chasing. ideally you want a partner for this due to variety but the 20XX save states include sequences of actions now so you can practice beating specific moves and setups as much as you want.

Be sure to do this every day for a minimum of an hour but ideally more, and also do analysis for just as long. Then, apply these ideas to your friendlies and test out ideas. Finally, apply a more polished gameplan to tournament. Playing just to play isn't good enough.

Hope this helps.

MewtwoForce

Smash Cadet
So this will be enough to take me to top 5? That's reassuring to know. Thanks PPMD : ). If there are anymore important specifics then I'm all ears. I'm not really sure how to define what effective study and effective analysis is though. The idea of seeing the moves as tools is also really new to me so I'm not sure how to go about understanding how to use the tools properly. Recognizing setups or setups in general is a new concept to me too.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Effective analysis can be started with looking for when a hit happens and finding out why it happened. You may have to work back a lot, or see the situation more times to see patterns. Very useful.

As for tools, think of Falco's laser. What is the purpose of a projectile? What does the fact that the laser is only horizontal mean for Falco? What about its startup? Etc

Setups come after you've started with things like this and practice, but just don't do wasteful actions right now until you've done these things a lot.

TallandGangly

Smash Cadet
Just check out the 20XX thread in the Melee section it should have the 20XX info on how to do that.
Figured it out, thanks though. Not sure if you guys have been using the newest version of 20XX, but if you haven't, the replay save state feature has changed the way I can practice neutral. Here's an example of something I was able to practice pretty quickly the other day.

Had Sheik Dsmash-Filt/Dsmash-jab. Then, I practiced punishing dsmash on sheild, on whiff, etc. Made sure that I was able to punish everything before the ftilt/jab came out, and tried to punish to death from there. I noticed that doing this was a great way to practice dash dancing in and out of Sheik's range. Then I did the same thing, but instead of dsmash/jab, I did dsmash/dash attack. Again, tried different ways of punishing. I found that it was super helpful in trying to understand all of Sheik's options in a given situation. Now I need to learn how to recognize those situations in game, or even learn how to force those situations onto my opponent.

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
Okay, so recently with my endeavors to git gud, I'm treating my opponents with more respect than I think I should be .

I.e. everyone in my scene is doing NOTHING but fishing for a grab Oos when they play against me. So I KNOW that if I nair on shield and shine I'll win about 8/10 times.

So should I be doing what WORKS until it stops working and then changing up what I do? I dont live in an area with very many "good" players, and I feel like I'm treating them as if they have a top level player's mindset, except I can beat them with one option .

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You beat what they're doing and then while you're doing it you think of what they could have done and your counters to that. You can also find clever ways to beat the shield grab.

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
Thanks PP.
So in a tournament setting where I'm playing to win.
I could theoretically, ( my level of play which I'd probably say is lower than intermediate, we're about 2 years old) exploit my opponent to victory.

Obviously this wouldn't work on higher skilled players that can mix things up, right?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Everyone has bad habits, but it takes work to understand what those are. You ideally want to exploit your opponent but also have a very solid all around gameplan. Focusing just on exploiting the opponent can make you weaker to players you haven't played before.

Ukulele

Smash Cadet
Hey, Dr. PP! Do you have a solid recollection of what page ranges you are most inactive in/not consistently giving good information in? Like, would you be able to say "Don't browse from x to y page range because I was really inactive around that time"? Or, would you be able to say "browse these other page ranges for a lot of key information"?

Last edited:

Yort

Smash Apprentice
PP,

Can you give me your argument as to why falco should remain a primarily grounded character in matchups besides spacies?

By "grounded" are we implying directly on the ground level (no platforms) or does this just mean not in the air?
For example, would being on a platform count as being grounded by your definition?

Just looking for clarification.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'm starting to realize I don't have a good grasp on spacing when it comes to lasers. Specifically, I often mess up recognizing what my good options are after I've connected a laser based on the spacing of the laser and the matchup.

So first of all, are there any good resources that discuss this?

Second, if I hit a laser and my opponent doesn't cc, is there a good rule of thumb for figuring out whether Falco can get nair/dair approach without the possibility of getting v stuffed?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey, Dr. PP! Do you have a solid recollection of what page ranges you are most inactive in/not consistently giving good information in? Like, would you be able to say "Don't browse from x to y page range because I was really inactive around that time"? Or, would you be able to say "browse these other page ranges for a lot of key information"?
I started back not many pages ago, and otherwise you can probably just search my posts in this thread to find out.

PP,

Can you give me your argument as to why falco should remain a primarily grounded character in matchups besides spacies?

By "grounded" are we implying directly on the ground level (no platforms) or does this just mean not in the air?
For example, would being on a platform count as being grounded by your definition?

Just looking for clarification.
I count SH'ing as grounded. Anything below side platform height(non-FoD shenanigans involved).

Well for Peach, Falco can play grounded but it's harder than going high so Peach is exempt from this rule.

Otherwise I'll give a short explanation for other good characters:

-vs marth, you can come down on him at angles that are hard for him to sword, but he can DD grab or pressure landings pretty well. also he can still harass you or combo you easier if you're often trying to jump up. really since marth is always staying on the ground with you, and your ground game is very strong as well, it's better to abuse that than risk losing your strongest point imo.

-vs sheik, it's more flexible since she's often on platforms and you need to go high to threaten or intercept her. if she's grounded she has some good options but some have a bit of lag which you can exploit. if you go high you have to worry about sheik's really big and strong bair and uair, and bair especially will outrange anything you have, whereas if you're on the ground you don't have to worry about that as much.

-vs falcon, being above uair is a terrible idea.

-vs puff, again it's more flexible since she's often airborne, but since you outspeed her aerial drift while grounded by just a bit, you can control her aerial weave well with your threat of rising bair, which obviously loses power if you're high up but you can threaten more dair on top of puff that she can't handle if you're high up. i think vertical play in general is pretty strong vs puff, but i just notice falcos that try this a lot seem to get intercepted and punished harder than falcos that don't.

I'm starting to realize I don't have a good grasp on spacing when it comes to lasers. Specifically, I often mess up recognizing what my good options are after I've connected a laser based on the spacing of the laser and the matchup.

Second, if I hit a laser and my opponent doesn't cc, is there a good rule of thumb for figuring out whether Falco can get nair/dair approach without the possibility of getting v stuffed?
Nope, but the winning position is having a laser out when you're close to your opponent. The neutral position laser, or starting position laser is done at threatening range, or the max distance each characters' threat ranges are at. so falco's TR is often his dash sh nair and for fox it could be dash sh nair(or a little past that). it's probably farther back than you think.

If you get a close laser you can reliably grab but that's about it. Closer and you can shine. Laser into aerial only works if their shield is small or they try to move or attack, which is why I often am doing lots of setup to be sure it at least connects with shield so I get something out of my approach.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
which is why I often am doing lots of setup to be sure it at least connects with shield so I get something out of my approach.
This is what I was trying to get at. I'm pretty good with the laser setups that confirm you a hit. I struggle with the ambiguous ones that lead into something on shield. Did you ever attempt to map out what ranges a laser will lead into stuff on shield, or is it just something you've felt out with each matchup through experience?

And if you do have it mapped out at all, what would say the approximate range laser into nair on shield is against Sheik? I've found her to be particularly difficult to start pressure on out of lasers. The Sheiks I've played so far often cc (sometimes they do this without ccing) my laser and ftilt to beat my nair. It trips me up a lot because it's often from a distance where I can reliably confirm a nair on shield after a laser against other characters. So then I have to start baiting out the ftilt in these situations. I don't mind doing this too much, but it occurred to me lately that this was a situation where I could take away my opponent's counterplay if I understood the spacing better.

Last edited:

AnonymousID

Smash Cadet
Well for Peach, Falco can play grounded but it's harder than going high so Peach is exempt from this rule.
Can you elaborate more on this? Are there specific instances in the match up where going high is more beneficial than staying on the ground other than to escape pressure? Also I think I heard somewhere that falco should be in the air when peach is on the ground and vice versa, I don't know how true it is and I generally prefer to stay on the ground but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Bones0

Smash Legend

You can't reliably approach after lasers, even on hit. You can only combo laser into nair if you hit a perfect laser (comes out the same frame you land), jump frame perfect, and nair frame perfect(first airborne frame). Wasting even 1 frame to dash means the opponent can shield. If you laser from further away you may be able to edge out an extra frame or 2 of advantage, but it will take you that much longer to reach them with a dash jump aerial anyway.

While we can generally consider laser -> aerial to be "unsafe", the reality is our opponents are human and imperfect, and they also can't shield all the time without opening themselves up to laser -> grab. If you feel like you caught the opponent off guard with your laser, you can try to hit them with an aerial before they react appropriately (either with dash away, shield, or a quick attack to stuff your SHFFL). Just keep in mind that if they are ready to react out of the laser and you commit to a SHFFL, you will either be at risk of getting DD grabbed or stuffed. SHFFLing a late aerial will never combo out of the laser, but it lets you set up shield pressure if they shield, and can also allow you to reasonable pressure spotdodges and rolls they might do in fear of a grab.

You really just have to look at each character one at a time and figure out their different ways of dealing with your options after laser, then when you play humans, identify their tendencies so you can abuse their habits. When you are playing better players, you will be able to use conditioning to your advantage. A bad player might not mix up his options after being laser grabbed 5 times in a row, or if he mixes up his options, he might not be aware of which are best suited to counter laser grab. Better players not only identify your attack patterns faster, but they are better at punishing you for not mixing it up as well. Sometimes mixing up your option is as simple as waiting a split second before doing whatever attack you did before, so don't feel like you have to make drastically different adjustments when they catch on to you. Simplest example is, if they spotdodge to avoid laser grab, just laser, dash back, visually confirm the spotdodge, then dash in and grab it on reaction.

Can you elaborate more on this? Are there specific instances in the match up where going high is more beneficial than staying on the ground other than to escape pressure? Also I think I heard somewhere that falco should be in the air when peach is on the ground and vice versa, I don't know how true it is and I generally prefer to stay on the ground but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.
I'm not sure if this is what PP had in mind, but I find staying on the ground vs. Peach pretty risky when she has stage control. If she's setting up a float while you're under a side plat and you plan on catching her with a laser or jumping attack towards her before she throws out a fair, good luck. It's a really dangerous game, one I'd rather avoid by just FHing to the top plat before she gets her float set up. She can't punish FH on reaction, and even with a soft read (i.e. she positions herself to cover a FH to top plat), she has to worry about you driting/DJing away. Same concept applies to side plats, though they are obviously much easier for Peach to reach and punish you for landing on.

Falco definitely wants to be underneath Peach when she is airborne, which should be pretty obvious because that's the best way to shark underneath her and KEEP her in the air, but I don't think you necessarily want to be on the ground. Being on the plats is usually the best place to start sharking, and if you want to drop down to give yourself more time to bait out attacks/airdodges, then you always have that option.

As far as vice versa, I don't think it's that simple. Being above Peach can give you a lot of freedom, but I think there's always a lot of risk to giving her stage control, so ultimately I only jump above her when it feels less risky than being on the ground, as I described in the first paragraph. Once I'm dancing around platforms, my goal is almost always to find an angle back into stage control that she can't easily contest/trade with. The only exception to this is when she's at KO %. In that scenario, I'm more than happy to camp the top plat and just get ready to bair her jumping up to me or wavedash off/shai drop bair her if she misspaces herself on the ground. I think the key difference between those two situations is she is not content with poking with uair because she can't afford to trade or whiff the same way she can when she's at 0%.

Last edited:

Nils.

Smash Rookie
Utilt flat out beats it. Bair also beats it if you can hit it at the correct angle(you may need to dash away to do this). You can also dash away laser it, and if you find yourself getting hit by it as a surprise you can either shine oos(will be a tech skill test between the two of you) or jump into the dair just before he hits the ground which will cancel stun and let you shine.
So you can jump OOS when getting drilled and get a shine? Am I understanding this correctly? That sounds incredibly good. Is it frame tight?

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I started using shield drop shine in situations I'd normally shine oos recently. It feels better to me because I'm more consistent at being frame tight with it than I am shine oos. Is it worth my time to make my shine oos on platforms better? Or can I get away with doing the shield drop shine as a replacement?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I started using shield drop shine in situations I'd normally shine oos recently. It feels better to me because I'm more consistent at being frame tight with it than I am shine oos. Is it worth my time to make my shine oos on platforms better? Or can I get away with doing the shield drop shine as a replacement?
Shield drop shine is 4 frames faster than shine OoS, so I see no reason to not take the faster option if your shield drop shines are that consistent. (Shine OoS frame 6; shield drop shine frame 2)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
This is what I was trying to get at. I'm pretty good with the laser setups that confirm you a hit. I struggle with the ambiguous ones that lead into something on shield. Did you ever attempt to map out what ranges a laser will lead into stuff on shield, or is it just something you've felt out with each matchup through experience?

And if you do have it mapped out at all, what would say the approximate range laser into nair on shield is against Sheik? I've found her to be particularly difficult to start pressure on out of lasers. The Sheiks I've played so far often cc (sometimes they do this without ccing) my laser and ftilt to beat my nair. It trips me up a lot because it's often from a distance where I can reliably confirm a nair on shield after a laser against other characters. So then I have to start baiting out the ftilt in these situations. I don't mind doing this too much, but it occurred to me lately that this was a situation where I could take away my opponent's counterplay if I understood the spacing better.
The short answer is even if you hit shield, unless you are directly on top of them when you hit shield, they have a way out and you need to take further advantage of the situation. You see Mango dash back then dash in aerial to often hit his opponents oos or secure pressure.

For the Sheik Ftilt thing it's similar. I do two things vs Sheik Ftilt. The first is just Fsmash it since Sheiks love doing it and the range works for Falco there when most moves don't. The other is wait and aerial or dash back aerial in so I can punish the lag. If I'm unsure I can just setup another laser.

The easiest way to beat float is to use platform lasers, or short hop lasers where you are standing on a platform(or landing on it). This hits the perfect height Peach floats at to avoid your ground threats. Then you can fall with laser and go into ground pressure. Being grounded is generally very good vs grounded Peach too since you are faster than her and outrange her pretty well plus you have lasers to limit her movement. She can only really try to PS and WD back/CC and dash attack as far as grounded options go, and if you're close enough when she tries to jump you can intercept with Nair for a big punish.

So you can jump OOS when getting drilled and get a shine? Am I understanding this correctly? That sounds incredibly good. Is it frame tight?
Well for the jump you don't need to shield, and I've noticed sometimes it can be inconsistent which might be related to how far off the ground Fox starts the drill. Shine OOS is frame tight pretty much but even then it isn't guaranteed to work, more like tie I think.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I was thinking maybe because shine oos hits certain spacings shield drop shine fails.
If you do the shine right as you do the shield drop so it's a 2-frame option, you end up back on the platform again and the shine is in the exact same spot. No disadvantages like that unless you're slow.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Drill shine is -6 or -7 on shield depending on if they have a hitbox out the frame before they land (which is basically a random 66% chance). In either case, Falco's perfect shine OoS beats it. I almost always go for the shine OoS because you essentially have +1 or +2 advantage in terms of shining before him, and the risk reward is heavily skewed in your favor. It also helps if you can waveshine OoS consistently since that will make you more likely to beat his shine as well as give you better punishes. Roll can be a decent substitute after drill if you are worried about getting shined since you can buffer it to guarantee that you won't get hit. The only way they can followup a roll after the drill is to hard read it and not shine after the drill. Even with a read, I think grabbing Falco's roll in this scenario would be pretty tight timing.

As a side note, this is why non-spacies/Samus players almost always go for the shield grab on drill. The risk reward is so high and the Fox has to not only be tight with his timing, but also lucky as to when the drill hitboxes happen to hit. I basically view shielding Fox drill as a neutral victory at this point. The general RPS with Fox's aerials are shield > drill > CC > nair > shield. Falco wants to shield drills and CC nairs. Fox wants to drill to beat CC and nair to get safe shield pressure. For a recent example, I think Mango vs. Armada at Royal Flush demonstrated this dynamic quite well. I didn't watch super closely since I was playing in the venue at the time, but from the bits and pieces I watched, Mango relies heavily on nairing and drilling at the right times. It feels very risky because of how much Peach gets off a CC dsmash or shield grab, but obviously Mango doesn't care much for risk aversion anyway.

Last edited:

Nils.

Smash Rookie
Drill shine is -6 or -7 on shield depending on if they have a hitbox out the frame before they land (which is basically a random 50-50 chance). In either case, Falco's perfect shine OoS beats it. I almost always go for the shine OoS because you essentially have +1 or +2 advantage in terms of shining before him, and the risk reward is heavily skewed in your favor. It also helps if you can waveshine OoS consistently since that will make you more likely to beat his shine as well as give you better punishes. Roll can be a decent substitute after drill if you are worried about getting shined since you can buffer it to guarantee that you won't get hit. The only way they can followup a roll after the drill is to hard read it and not shine after the drill. Even with a read, I think grabbing Falco's roll in this scenario would be pretty tight timing.

As a side note, this is why non-spacies/Samus players almost always go for the shield grab on drill. The risk reward is so high and the Fox has to not only be tight with his timing, but also lucky as to when the drill hitboxes happen to hit. I basically view shielding Fox drill as a neutral victory at this point. The general RPS with Fox's aerials are shield > drill > CC > nair > shield. Falco wants to shield drills and CC nairs. Fox wants to drill to beat CC and nair to get safe shield pressure. For a recent example, I think Mango vs. Armada at Royal Flush demonstrated this dynamic quite well. I didn't watch super closely since I was playing in the venue at the time, but from the bits and pieces I watched, Mango relies heavily on nairing and drilling at the right times. It feels very risky because of how much Peach gets off a CC dsmash or shield grab, but obviously Mango doesn't care much for risk aversion anyway.
Are there not 3 different ways fox can land a drill? Either that or there are two ways but the odds are 66-33. iirc you have a 2/3 chance of grabbing his drill without getting shined. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom