• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fairy Tail

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru

A young celestial wizard, Lucy Heartfilia, runs away from home and travels to the land of Fiore to join the magical Fairy Tail Guild. Along the way, she meets Natsu Dragneel, a teenage boy looking for his foster parent, a dragon named Igneel, with his best friend, Happy the cat. Shortly after their meeting, Lucy is abducted by Bora of Prominence, who was posing as Salamander of Fairy Tail, to be sold as a slave. Natsu rescues her and reveals that he is the real Salamander of Fairy Tail and has the skills of a Dragon Slayer [fire type], an ancient magic. He offers her membership into the guild, which she gladly accepts. They, along with armored maiden Erza Scarlet, ice maker Gray Fullbuster, and Happy, become a team performing various missions offered to the Fairy Tail guild.​

This topic was bound to be made.
who hear reads/watches Fairy Tail. I kinda Loath the series for quite a few reasons but why not have a topic about FT

Gaara♥

Smash Master
I follow both fairy tail manga and anime. Im so glad they decided to release 3 chapters at once this week.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I can understand naruto, bleach and one piece having their own threads, even if they do have their shortcomings...

This, on the other hand, is a passable one piece wannabe with a severe need of continuity and character depth. If this gets a thread while negima, hitman reborn, kenichi and hayate don't...guh...

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Finally a thread I can post about how cute Wendy is. <3 ♥

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I can understand naruto, bleach and one piece having their own threads, even if they do have their shortcomings...

This, on the other hand, is a passable one piece wannabe with a severe need of continuity and character depth. If this gets a thread while negima, hitman reborn, kenichi and hayate don't...guh...
You've made some good points indeed.

I probably secretly made this thread just to see people bash it

kr3wman

Smash Master
Every shonen is a HnK wannabe.

And doesn't One Piece already have those problems already?

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Every shonen is a HnK wannabe.
Bakuman D8< I love that manga and it's not HnK wannabe.

But "Fairy Tail" is still a lot like "One Piece"... but that's only in art, really. Heck, it's only really just Natsu and the girls' boobs. Those are the only real similarities. I thought it was kinda whack at first how the mangaka didn't bother to get new names/new characters for "Fairy Tail" since "Rave," but I heard "Fairy Tail" was a prologue or epilogue or something so HOPEFULLY that's true.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
I only picked up Fairy Tail because I was in an anime drought and didnt know what to watch next and I found it acceptable. Now im too far in to just give it up

asianaussie

Smash Hero
twgok is pretty good though you might argue it's seinen, and its nothing like hnk (lol)

sorta tired of this 'there's no focus on action therefore it can't be shounen' view...even though its pretty true (but only because the world subscribes to this dumb view)

time to recap this series

haters gonna hate, and im basically one of the haters

fairy tail is basically acceptable and fun...it has flaws counterbalanced by gripping fights and passable arc plots, but its just so disjointed...i get that it's a random guild, i get that they make a big deal of random and violent jobs, but still...additionally, characters are barely developed - the only ones who really got development are lucy, the guy who studied alongside grey (not grey) and loki, and the latter two only got development in their arcs, which are now brushed away and forgotten...

they drop big-name evils like zeref and expect us to remember them...well let me tell you, unless you've re-read the tower arc (like i did a couple months back) you won't even remember who zeref is...at the moment the bad guys who stick in your head are the ones from the alternate world, and possibly the dark guild...

they didn't go anywhere with the igneel scene (yes there was one, you just forgot about it), gazille hasn't done any double-agent work for too long, the overarching dark guild was forgotten in the rush to make the personality-switched alt-world characters funny, luxus :\, they did next to nothing with lisanna past the reunion scene, and where the hell did puu (that gag spirit lucy has) go? from what you can see, i clearly read this manga thoroughly, i found it quite good at times, but on the whole, i would much rather recommend something else...like one piece...

or negima

kr3wman

Smash Master
One Piece had (and still has to some point) the same problems as Fairy Tail.

Barely has any character development, plot doesn't seem to go anywhere for the first few hundred chapters, introduces tons of characters that will get quickly forgotten by the characters (as soon as they leave the island) only to be reintroduced hundreds of chapters later.

One Piece has that character design and interactions that makes you remember those characters tho. Not all of them are easily forgettable. Crocodile is one of those, for an easy example.

I enjoy reading Fairy Tail. It's a fun and simple read.

EDIT : Every Shonen is a HnK wannabe because every mangaka doing shonen nowadays wants to have HnK's babies (IE make a manga as good and important as it)

lulz.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I am watching the anime, Fairy Tail is pretty fun to watch.

also Why the **** Jellal is in EVERYTHING
♣ Oh don't worry, after the Oracion Seis arc you won't see him for a long time... unless you count Mystogan as Jellal. XD ♥

♣ Wendy is soooo adorable in the anime. <3 ♥

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if you'd like i can write a small essay on its shortcomings, why many other published shounen could be called more interesting, and how one piece is almost objectively better than it in its category

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I'm not a discussion leader or anything, but I wouldn't suggest deconstructive topics.

how 'bout the fans out there start to hypothesize on the winner of the S-rank exam they're having right now

nessokman

Smash Lord
THREAD REVIVAL JUTSU!!!!!!

Anyone still into this series? There is finally a bigger plot, stopping Zeref.And the Erza torture was :/
The anime is coming back in april!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yo. Still read this, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach on a weekly basis.

The series has had a lot of BS problems in recent years, but I've been sticking with it in the hopes that hopefully it'll get back to some of the glory from it's early years.

As this is gonna be long and about the magic tournament arc, I'm putting it in spoilers:

The whole of the timeskip was absolutely pointless. Normally the point of a TS is to make the characters more powerful, or because they require it to strive forward. In Fairy Tail the entire main cast get sealed in magic for seven whole years.

So you think; hey! Maybe the lesser minor characters are going to get more chance to shine since they've been training for an additional 7 years? Great!
This is indeed the way it looked to be heading as Main character Natsu fights against Max, a fairly minor character who uses sand magic to battle Natsu...and he then loses due to Natsu's FIRE LIGHTNING ROAR.

So he's still more powerful than the others despite the timeskip. Okay. So it's not that.
There is talk of a magic tournament coming up, which means that the other guilds have grown more powerful. Perhaps this is the challenge, you wonder. Can Fairy Tail still manage to keep up with the other guilds after missing out on seven whole years?

The answer becomes clear when not only does Fairy Tail get through the preliminaries, but a SECOND Fairy Tail team also gets through. Okay, so not only can the main cast do it, so can some of the secondaries. Right.

BUT WAIT! A dark guild has arrived and they're planning to take out former powerhouse of Fairy Tail Laxus by using illusion magic to hide themselves from the magic judges. Worst of all, the guild's leader is Laxus's estranged father and son of the current Fairy Tail's guild leader. Surely this means they'll be a credible threat?

Well, no. Laxus beats them all. On his own. They then get discovered and disqualified, so that's the end of their involvement in that arc. What a lot of build up for no pay off.

Nevermind! There's still Sabretooth! Sabretooth are the number 1 Guild in the world at this point, and each of their members are insanely talented. They even have two Dragon Slayers of their own! Sting and Rogue are set up to be the bosses of this arc as they face off against Fairy Tail's two Dragon Slayers; Natsu and Gazille.

And then Natsu, after getting rid of Gazille proceeds to trash BOTH of these supposed end bosses single handedly.

What a disappointment. But wait! Maybe they're not the true bosses of this arc! There's Sabretooth's Guild Leader's daughter who is as evil as they come and it's not like the dragon slayers and the last two members are out of the competition yet...

But surprise surprise...Fairy Tail beat them all. With zero losses. They then proceed to face off against Sting who has received a huge power up...and he gives up before even the first punch is thrown because Fairy Tail are just too ****ing awesome. So Fairy Tail win. Flawlessly.
Even after a seven year timeskip with no time to train or develop they barely broke a sweat to not only keep up with the number 1 Guild in the whole country, but also completely trounced them in battle.

THE **** IS THIS?

BUT WAIT! Then there's after the tournament! Turns out Rogue is actually evil in the future and travels into the past through a gate in order to take over the world with revived dragons.

The dragons are insanely powerful! Even Fairy Tail, all beaten and bruised from their tournament fights, can barely keep up! GRAY EVEN DIES.

For a chapter. Then he's revived through the sacrifice on another character's life to reverse time. It reverses it for a minute and that's enough to turn the tide of battle. Gray doesn't die as a result.

This is the biggest problem with Fairy Tail; there is no jeopardy. None at all. Even when Gray got his head shot through by dragons not for a single solitary second did I think he wouldn't be revived the very next chapter...and I was right. I didn't want him to die(I personally think his fights are the most creative), but I didn't even fret for a single moment that this was real.

But it's not even things like death. After all, as a One Piece fan it'd be awfully hypocritical for me to slate FT for not having enough death. The problem is Natsu and Erza will ALWAYS win. Doesn't matter if they're tied up, if the enemy has a huge advantage, or if they're fighting Satan himself.

They will always win every single fight. Without hardly a struggle. This is the biggest problem with the series(apart from some of the fanservice which last week was borderline hentai- why the **** is Erza naked even?).
There is never an obstacle to overcome in Fairy Tail. At most the obstacle is a mere speed bump which doesn't give us much to get excited over.

They appear to be fixing this issue now somewhat with the demons but I still get the feeling Natsu is still going to just punch his way to victory again.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Yo. Still read this, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach on a weekly basis.

The series has had a lot of BS problems in recent years, but I've been sticking with it in the hopes that hopefully it'll get back to some of the glory from it's early years.

As this is gonna be long and about the magic tournament arc, I'm putting it in spoilers:

The whole of the timeskip was absolutely pointless. Normally the point of a TS is to make the characters more powerful, or because they require it to strive forward. In Fairy Tail the entire main cast get sealed in magic for seven whole years.

So you think; hey! Maybe the lesser minor characters are going to get more chance to shine since they've been training for an additional 7 years? Great!
This is indeed the way it looked to be heading as Main character Natsu fights against Max, a fairly minor character who uses sand magic to battle Natsu...and he then loses due to Natsu's FIRE LIGHTNING ROAR.

So he's still more powerful than the others despite the timeskip. Okay. So it's not that.
There is talk of a magic tournament coming up, which means that the other guilds have grown more powerful. Perhaps this is the challenge, you wonder. Can Fairy Tail still manage to keep up with the other guilds after missing out on seven whole years?

The answer becomes clear when not only does Fairy Tail get through the preliminaries, but a SECOND Fairy Tail team also gets through. Okay, so not only can the main cast do it, so can some of the secondaries. Right.

BUT WAIT! A dark guild has arrived and they're planning to take out former powerhouse of Fairy Tail Laxus by using illusion magic to hide themselves from the magic judges. Worst of all, the guild's leader is Laxus's estranged father and son of the current Fairy Tail's guild leader. Surely this means they'll be a credible threat?

Well, no. Laxus beats them all. On his own. They then get discovered and disqualified, so that's the end of their involvement in that arc. What a lot of build up for no pay off.

Nevermind! There's still Sabretooth! Sabretooth are the number 1 Guild in the world at this point, and each of their members are insanely talented. They even have two Dragon Slayers of their own! Sting and Rogue are set up to be the bosses of this arc as they face off against Fairy Tail's two Dragon Slayers; Natsu and Gazille.

And then Natsu, after getting rid of Gazille proceeds to trash BOTH of these supposed end bosses single handedly.

What a disappointment. But wait! Maybe they're not the true bosses of this arc! There's Sabretooth's Guild Leader's daughter who is as evil as they come and it's not like the dragon slayers and the last two members are out of the competition yet...

But surprise surprise...Fairy Tail beat them all. With zero losses. They then proceed to face off against Sting who has received a huge power up...and he gives up before even the first punch is thrown because Fairy Tail are just too ****ing awesome. So Fairy Tail win. Flawlessly.
Even after a seven year timeskip with no time to train or develop they barely broke a sweat to not only keep up with the number 1 Guild in the whole country, but also completely trounced them in battle.

THE **** IS THIS?

BUT WAIT! Then there's after the tournament! Turns out Rogue is actually evil in the future and travels into the past through a gate in order to take over the world with revived dragons.

The dragons are insanely powerful! Even Fairy Tail, all beaten and bruised from their tournament fights, can barely keep up! GRAY EVEN DIES.

For a chapter. Then he's revived through the sacrifice on another character's life to reverse time. It reverses it for a minute and that's enough to turn the tide of battle. Gray doesn't die as a result.

This is the biggest problem with Fairy Tail; there is no jeopardy. None at all. Even when Gray got his head shot through by dragons not for a single solitary second did I think he wouldn't be revived the very next chapter...and I was right. I didn't want him to die(I personally think his fights are the most creative), but I didn't even fret for a single moment that this was real.

But it's not even things like death. After all, as a One Piece fan it'd be awfully hypocritical for me to slate FT for not having enough death. The problem is Natsu and Erza will ALWAYS win. Doesn't matter if they're tied up, if the enemy has a huge advantage, or if they're fighting Satan himself.

They will always win every single fight. Without hardly a struggle. This is the biggest problem with the series(apart from some of the fanservice which last week was borderline hentai- why the **** is Erza naked even?).
There is never an obstacle to overcome in Fairy Tail. At most the obstacle is a mere speed bump which doesn't give us much to get excited over.

They appear to be fixing this issue now somewhat with the demons but I still get the feeling Natsu is still going to just punch his way to victory again.
The only reason fairytail went to the weakest was because their core members were gone. Natsu and the gang (excluding lucy; she sucks) were already leagues ahead of any other guild before the timeskip. And I really think that the entire idea of the timeskip was to get a tournament to introduce rogue and sting, who will no doubt be important allies later, and to make little Romeo grow up. Now that he's approximately Wendy's age, he can really start with magic. I have no doubt he will become important later as well.

Timeskip a by definition aren't cheap powerup oppritunities, though they are most commonly used for that purpose. They can be used to advance plot. I'm not defending the timeskip entirely, I liked it better before, but whatever, can't live in the past.

As of now, Mira and Erza are hostages, and natsu is frozen solid by silver; whose demon slayer magic can't be melted by natsu as shown earlier. Grey and Juvia VS. Silver is coming, and Grey's connection to silver will play a big role no doubt.

Next chapter from what I've heard is Jellal vs. Oracion seis. It will be interesting.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I really hope so, because despite all my bile and venom in the previous post it's bile and venom out of love for the series and that whole magic tournament just aggravated me no end. I know Mashima can do better than that. I've seen it before. It just seemed like he wrote himself into corner after corner.

The demon arc shows a lot of promise, I just hope it hits it's full potential. The fact it's Gray orientated is promising(as his fights normally tend to be the most exciting) and Juvia is likable enough. Since Mira, Erza and Natsu are now all incapacitated(the usual auto win trio) I'm expecting some fights and some revelations of interest.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
every gray fight:

1) flashy ICE MAKE _______
2) fails to do that much damage
3) gets punched
4) ...
5) EPIPHANY ABOUT WHAT I'M FIGHTING FOR or HEATED DISCUSSION ABOUT FRIENDS
6) gray attempts to channel shikamaru with some sort of mildly clever scheme
7) ICE MAKE ________ (never to be seen again)
8) bad guy goes uguu

nessokman

Smash Lord
every gray fight:

3) gets punched
4) ...
8) bad guy goes uguu
Tell me ice make magic isn't freaking overpowered. (See:Lyon) the ability to use creativity to make your fights in and of itself is OP. Grey just sucks at it XD

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
every gray fight:

3) gets punched
4) ...
8) bad guy goes uguu
Every Natsu fight:

1.) Punches a dude as his entrance.
2.) Dude turns out to be more powerful than expected!
3.) Natsu gets hit.
4.) The magic doesn't work on Natsu for some reason.
OR
4.) Sometimes recieves a power up by eating something other than his established fire that seems completely random; lightning, crystallized magic, golden fire that Jellal just happened to have despite never showcasing it before, etc
5.) Flashily fire punches a dude. Hard.
6.) Fight over.

I'll, err...I'll take Gray thanks.

nessokman

Smash Lord
every gray fight:

3) gets punched
4) ...
8) bad guy goes uguu
Today's chapter. Natsu got his ass kicked

Top Bottom