• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fair to jump cancelled grab

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so lately i've been wondering about frames and what not.

I assume that when i shffl a fair to a grab the opponent should still be stunned and unable to act...however, lately i got into the habit of jump cancelling grabs as i played ness, because ness can do a really cool djc fair to dash jump cancelled grab with pretty good success..i assume they have a few frames to react..but it's really not that much...

however, when i try to do the same thing, a fair to minidash jc grab..i tend to get creamed..i'm guessing the fair doesn't have the stun time for it?

but anyways, due to this practice, i've gotten into the habit of jumpcancelling all my grabs...and i'm wondering if this leads to my opponent being able to grab me first after the shff fair.

How many frames do i lose when i jump cancel a grab instead of just immediately grabbing. I assume at least 1 for starting the jump? is that all? and does that make it possible for them to grab me or not? i'm not good with frame data.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I dunno about the frame nonsense, but I'm pritty sure you should be able to get a grab or jump canceled grab out of fair everytime depending on how they DI. I do it quite a bit.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
it could just be i'm mistiming it and trying to jump while still in the l cancelled aerial lag..i'll play with it some more..sorry to bother.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Jump-cancelled grab is the same thing as a standing grab, so I'm not sure of the purpose behind fair->jcgrab. You're going to be standing in place anyways once the fair is done, so there's no need to waste the few frames it takes to do a jcgrab.

sweetooth

Smash Ace
yea i dont see what the point of the jc grab is if you're not moving. but one thing that does affect it is the timing of the Fair

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fair to JC grab can be gotten out of easily.

Try SHFFLC fair into grab when the opponent is already in the air, that should lead to an easier grab.

When they're already on the ground they can just get out.

sweetooth

Smash Ace
that sound about right. however, sometimes you will find that people are unresponsive while you are in the middle of the fair. either that or they just try to di out of it.

Top Bottom