• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fair can spike (video)

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Now before anyone watches this I'll add what i added in the video description.

Well I was the Dedede player in this one and my brother was pit. I know for a fact I didn't smash DI down. However I was DI-ing. I believe the control stick was being pressed up and to the left and the c-stick was to the right.

I'm uploading this for other ppl to help me find out why the fair spiked here.

Here's where it gets weird. In the actual game, I passed through the platform and jumped trying to do a bair. The arrow did not hit me, but the fair still spiked. I also was hit at the top of the head rather than the bottom of the feet. The replay shows different. Dedede was still just as far away though. This leads me to believe that A) the distance pit is away from dedede is what causes it or B) DI is the reason.

I know I didnt smash DI down, but maybe it has to do w/ the other inputs. All the info I know is in the description, this should help people try and recreate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ5eGKi_o_k

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
About the replay, you may have to watch it more than once to get the actual in-game result. I'm not sure why, but every once in a while Brawl replays will desynch somewhere.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Yeah i've been trying but haven't had much luck. The first 2 times i watched it, it went exactly as it happend, then after i sent it to kupo to record it. the replay has looked different since, I'm not having much luck in reviewing it now though. I'll keep trying.

The point of the replay being different is that this worked in 2 separate areas.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Its because the replay isn't saved video its saved moves at what time. All the replay really does is tell your guys what moves to do when.

I think it may have been a glitch in the game because:
1. He didn't hit you anywhere new or differnet.
2. Because the replay is set moves and not a vid. It saves the moves not the effects of those moves it lets the game (not the replay) do that. The effect isn't happening again.
3. You went through the platform, you said that somthing different happened with the arrow. Both are more evidence of a glich.
4. The replay isn't doing it again like you said.

If I had to say it wasn't a glitch i would say DI but you covered that. Or because he hit your feet right as you were turning around or doing a move.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Its because the replay isn't saved video its saved moves at what time. All the replay really does is tell your guys what moves to do when.
QFT. For example, I was playing as Pit in Basic Brawl, and I ended up in Sudden Death. It was me and Luigi. What I did to defeat Luigi in the game was different from what I had saved. When I went to watch the video again, the Sudden Death was different. Luigi stood in one spot, and I started using my taunts. I thought, "I did not do that!" Luigi died because of a Bomb-Omb in the video, though that's not what happened in the game.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Thats a different I never heard of that before, but this isn't my idea of how replays work, its really how it is.

I wish it wasn't i would like it to be vids that way i could save them to an sd card and put them on my comp but that doesn't work.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
The video leads me to believe you got hit off the platform and then fast fell.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Dedede does fall very fast, my guess is that he got hit and then started falling normally, at which point D3 did a fair

kupo15

Smash Hero
But since he got hit, he should have been sent flying to the left (well maybe not flying because of low %)

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Some more things i should have added. I know why the replay turns out different, but the fact that it happened in both the game and the replay should prove it's not a glitch. The fair in the replay was actually not in the real game. That was where I was *trying* to do the bair.

I'm pretty sure it was the DI. Up and to the left w/ joystick and C-stick (possibly smash DI w the c-stick) to the right. Also i tried jumping after i got hit, but couldnt, therefor there was some hitstun.

Also to clear some things up. Dedede in the game was not hit by that arrow and was below the platform.

@Tope. I wasnt even on the platform in the actual game. And it couldnt have been a fast fall if i never hit down.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Hm maybe it was the fact that D3 was hit lower on his person that made the spike. Or could be simple DI like some people speculate. But if it was simply just DI, how was he forced downward. A glitch possibly? And I'm not sure D3 can fast fall that...well fast! But I haven't seen a D3 player much so what could I know? But I look over the footage and see that D3 went right through the platform, like the Mewtwo technique in Melee where you use your Side B as you pass by near a platform and the opponent falls. Regardless, this is quite puzzling. And also, look where Pit finally holds onto the platform. He was way underneath the platform and suddenly is hanging on. Hm...

sagemoon

Smash Lord
That's an interesting theory, but remember that in the real game dedede was actually below pit, the replay turned out a little different. Also the reason mewtwo's side b pulled people through was because of its hitbox and animation (where the opponent is kinda grabbed and stunned for a bit). But maybe the opponents have something to do w/ it.

I'll try and see if i can get a replay that shows the exact game.

Also i've been talking w/ some ppl. Supposidly a ness player has done the same thing to dedede with ness's fair (which doesnt spike). So maybe it has to do w/ dedede and the hitbox's...?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
some people fall about that fast. Idk about D3, but link seems to be able to fast fall at that speed. Lots of accidental fast falls that lead to deaths on my part trying to pull a bomb.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
But it couldn't have been a fast fall. I'm 100% positive I was holding the control stick up and to the left while hitting c-stick right

kupo15

Smash Hero
idk if this really is a spike. It would seem that with the amount of Fairs we Pits do, someone else should have spiked. I really hope it is but I am doubtful. I hope to be proven wrong :urg:

kupo15

Smash Hero
yea i do. I have been able to pull it off at times. I need to spend some time finding the best way to use it. I have a vid coming later of me doing it to oli in delfino plaza.

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
ummm does anyone know if dedede's fair has super armor? maybe he fast fell off the platform and you hit him during the super armor frames, i mean i've heard of rumors like ike's jab having super armor.

nvm my eyes were deceiving me...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I never thought of that. But Superframes will prevent any form of movement when they hit them. You only take damage when you get superframed but you wont move, or flinch actually. I might be wrong. We need to do various tests, which may involve Superframes with Pit's Mirror Shield since it's one of those only superframes that can be done in midair.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Pits superarmor can only be done on the ground. And super armor with DDD is a good idea, it would be a good explanation.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
but even if dedede's fair had super armor, in the game i was actually doing a bair instead of a fair. So It couldn't have done that.

kupo15

Smash Hero
wow, so the replay screwed us on this one.

I made a thread in the DDD forums for answers to our question.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It is too complicated for me, and i didnt know Pit's Mirror Super armor was only on the ground. We will figure this out soon... I hope.

kupo15

Smash Hero
What I don't understand is this. Sage, you said your brother Baired you but the Bair can't possibly be a spiking move. The replay is nothing more than a saved moves that you did that the cpu repeats in playback. That means that whatever happens in the replay is possible in a live game.

The replay showed that your brother Faired you and DDD appeared to have been spiked. The answer I think is found if DDD has super armor or not and if that is a normal fast fall speed. If not, then it may be a spike but I really doubt it.

EDITT:: Someone on the DDD forums said that he does not have super armor frames and that is the normal fast fall speed

Top Bottom