• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FAE's Lucas Advanced Techniques Guide

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Thanks man! I'm trying to be a better Lucas and preparing for my first tourney in November. He's been my main since day one but haven't gone serious until this summer :] I'll try that out right now, it sounds good.
Z = Specials
L = Jump
X = Grab
Tap Jump off (I personally cant use tap jump, even though it would be helpful if I could)

Do you use tap jump? If you do, learn to use up-b without using up your second jump. Tap jump is helpful because if you get spiked, you can hold up and you will jump ASAP, whereas if you click X it will actually delay your jump and you will die sooner. It is also helpful for escaping jab combos by spamming up to SDI and then jump.

Oh and to C-bounce I use Z for specials because it's easy to click when using the c-stick, as the b button is out of reach unless you use claw grip.
I use L as jump when C-Bouncing PK fire (takes a while to get used to short hopping with L)
X as grab is really helpful for dustersliding, you just roll your finger from Y (jump) to X (grab).

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Okay, I see now. Looks like i'm a MK player ;)

and I do Tapjump actually. Sound helpful

I gave it a shot yesterday but with only one configuration to "L = Special" but this seems much easier. I'll give it a shot. Hopefully i can improve my Duster-sliding haha. And I know, kinda late on Brawls lifecycle to be coming here and trying new configs! Better late than never.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I finally had some time to put this together. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Terminology:
N-Air - A attack in the air
U-Air – Up A attack in air
D-Air – Down A attack in air
F-Air – Forward A attack in air
B-Air – Back A attack in air
Z-Air -- Grab button in the air
PK Thunder 2 – When Lucas hits himself with PK Thunder
B-Stick – Setting C-Stick to Specials
U-Smash – Up smash attack
D-Smash – Down smash attack
F-Smash – Forward smash attack
U-Tilt – Up tilt attack
F-Tilt – Forward tilt attack
D-Tilt – Down tilt attack

Zap Jump
Description: Lucas shoots high in the sky with PK Fire
Input: Up on control stick (or jump button) > double jump +PK Fire

Zap Throw
Description: Lucas shoots high in the sky with an item
Input: Up on control stick (or jump button) > double jump + A, or C-Stick

Magnet Pull
Description: Lucas’s PSI Magnet gains a horizontal boost in the air (the more momentum Lucas has, the bigger boost PSI Magnet gets)
Input: PK Fire > PSI Magnet

Four Different Outcomes of Magnet Pull
Description: Kinda hard to explain without me messing something up, so the gifs and controls would probably be more help.
Input: (With B-Stick) Gif 1: Jump > B-Stick Fire to the left/right (opposite way you’re going) > PSI Magnet.
Gif 2: Jump > B-Stick PK Fire to the left/right (opposite way you’re going) > PSI Magnet with the Control Stick in the Down-Left or Down-Right position (same way the PK Fire pushed you)
Gif 3: Jump > B-Stick PK Fire to the left/right (opposite way you’re going) > PSI Magnet with the Control Stick in the Down-Left or Down-Right position (same way you’re going) > quickly slide the Control Stick along the bottom to the Down-Left or Down-Right position (opposite direction the PSI Magnet started)
Gif 4: Jump > B-Stick PK Fire to the left/right (opposite way you’re going) > PSI Magnet with the Control Stick in the Down-Left or Down-Right position (opposite way you’re going) > quickly slide the Control Stick along the bottom to the Down-Left or Down-Right position (opposite direction the PSI Magnet started)

Magnet Pull Double Jump Renewal
Description: If Lucas slides from the ground to off of the ledge with Magnet Pull when he has no jumps left, he’ll regain his double jump.
Input: Magnet Pull close to the ground where Lucas will slide off the ledge

Thundersliding
Description: Lucas slides off of the ledge with PK Thunder, similar to Mario’s sliding Cape and DK’s sliding Headbutt
Input: Run off the edge of a platform > PK Thunder

PK Thunder 2 Cancelling (With Thunderslide)
Description: Lucas cancels his Thunderslide on a lower platform (easiest to learn on Battlefield)
Input: Thunderslide off of a higher platform onto the edge of a lower platform

PK Thunder 2 Cancelling (Without Thunderslide)
Description: Lucas cancels his PK Thunder 2 on the edge of a platform.
Input: Jump to a point where you can PK Thunder for a bit without falling much > aim the PK Thunder up then guide it downwards towards the back of Lucas's head or the front of Lucas's head (make it hit him in the direction of the edge.

PK Thunder 2 on Final Destination’s Lips
Description: Lucas’s PK Thunder 2 slides up Final Destinations lips. The trajectory of the PK Thunder 2 is different for both sides. The left side is easier to do than the right side.

Tailwhipping
Description: Lucas swirls his PK Thunder around an opponent’s shield so the head of the PK Thunder doesn’t get cancelled and the opponent might take damage

Aerial PK Thunder Loop
Description: Lucas’s PK Thunder loops around him in the air, then shoots him downward
Input: PK Thunder in a reasonable height in the air > move your Control Stick in a circle around Lucas > Make the PK Thunder hit him in the back of his head

PK Thunder Ledge Regrab
Description: Lucas uses PK Thunder while on the ledge and aims it at the stage or opponent, then regrabs the ledge before he falls in helpless
Input: Tap left or right on the Control Stick (whichever is away from the stage) > PK Thunder > Move your Control Stick in a quarter circle towards the stage

Single Loop PK Thunder 2
Description: Lucas loops his PK Thunder one time before he hits himself
Input: PK Thunder Movement (if going to the right): ^ < v > ^ < v >>>, PK Thunder Movement (if going to the left): ^ > v < ^ > v <<<

Down Tilt Tripping
Description: Lucas’s D-Tilt has the highest trip rate at the tip of his shoe.

Grab Release > D-Tilt Trip > U-Smash
Description: Some characters when ground released out of Lucas’s grab are at the right distance to be D-Tilt tripped (not a true followup out of a grab release, but it usually works if it the D-tilt hits), and can be followed up with a U-Smash
Input: Grab > Pummel > D-Tilt > U-Smash

Down Tilt Lock
Description: Like a Jab Lock, when an opponent fails to tech the ground, Lucas locks his opponent with D-Tilt across the stage and forces them to get up
Input: D-Tilt, walk forward slightly, D-Tilt, walk forward slightly, etc.

Attacked Shield on Platform > D-Tilt Lock
Description: When Lucas attacks someone shielding on the edge of a platform, he can follow up with a D-Tilt lock if they don’t do anything before they hit the ground.

Ledge-hopped PSI Magnet
Description: Lucas’s vertical momentum after a ledgehop is cancelled by PSI Magnet
Input: Ledgehop > PSI Magnet

Magnet Stalling
Description: Lucas’s downward momentum is halted briefly by PSI Magnet.
Input: PSI Magnet while falling

Wavebounced PSI Magnet
Description: Lucas’s PSI Magnet gains a slight backwards push in the air
Input: Jump to the right > B-Stick a PSI Magnet in the Down-Left position. OR Jump to the left > B-Stick a PSI Magnet in the Down-Right position.

Magnet Cancelling
Description: Lucas’s PSI Magnet cancels all ending lag after absorbing a projectile.
Input: PSI Magnet > (after absorbing projectile) Left (Roll), Right (Roll), Up (Jump), or Down (Spotdodge)

Dustersliding
Description: Lucas goes from the ledge to the stage laglessly with Z-Air (easiest to do when all 3 Z-Airs have been used)
Input: (On ledge) Left on control stick to drop from ledge > Double Jump and DI towards the stage > Z-Air when passing the stage

Slopedashing
Description: On certain stages, Lucas can gain a slide from a slope into any sliding attack. Stages it can be done on are: Rainbow Cruise (right side of ship), Pictochat (waves), Pokemon Stadium 1 (Fire transformation between the tree and house), Corneria (The right side of the top where it bends), Yoshi’s Island [(Melee) The top of the left pipe]
Input: Tap Jump - Move the Control Stick in a quarter circle starting from the top of the Control Stick towards the slope

Rising B-Air/N-Air/F-Air to Fastfall F-Air/U-Air
Description: When Lucas does a rising B-Air, N-Air, or F-Air in a full hop, he can fastfall a F-Air or U-Air on the way down.
Input: Jump + B-Air/N-Air/F-Air > F-Air or U-Air when you’re falling

Hitlag Extension
Description: When Lucas’s attacks come in contact with a stage object such as Castle Siege’s statues or the lumpy things on Brinstar, the attack will last longer. This is most helpful with U-Smash and D-Smash.

F-Smash Reflection
Description: Lucas's F-Smash reflects all projectiles (Diddy's Bananas, Snake's Grenades, etc). If the projectile is stationary, it won't move after being F-Smashed. Instead it'll not damage Lucas but damage the other person if they run into it (Ness's PK Fire Pillar).

Down Throw to Utilt/Nair/Uair
Description: At low %’s depending on the opponent character, Lucas can follow up D-Throw with U-Tilt, N-Air, or U-Air
Input: D-Throw > U-Tilt/U-Air/N-Air (immediately double jumping before N-Airing or U-Airing works better than just Full hopping)
All your gifs are dead!

I need to pick up lucas and I have no idea what to do now :\

MinhtheMaeg

Smash Rookie
Holy freaking wow. Here I thought I was one of the best Lucas players I knew, but now I know you FAE, so gratz. I thought I knew the best strats with Lucas like pivot grabs. Thanks for this guide. I can't seem to pull ofd jump+jump+PK Fire+PSI Magnet though.

Huarbolo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
huarbolo
3DS FC
1435-5887-5069
Holy freaking wow. Here I thought I was one of the best Lucas players I knew, but now I know you FAE, so gratz. I thought I knew the best strats with Lucas like pivot grabs. Thanks for this guide. I can't seem to pull ofd jump+jump+PK Fire+PSI Magnet though.
Use your C stick for specials, and double jump and PK Fire at practically the same time

Top Bottom