• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

F air vs metaknights glide attack...

Shade_

Smash Ace
My room mate and I play every day, And he uses mk. I'm not complaining, but I have noticed every time i have attempted to do a fair against his glide attack even when my attack is out and touching him his wins.

I've done this multiple times and we have even stoped a battle and just tested it out, and the conclusion I have come to is mk's attack is indeed farther.

I'd like to know for sure, if anyone has a for sure answer or frame data precise test they did so i can find out if i'm wasting damage attempting this or I'm timing it wrong.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
I think it's just priority sticking out its ugly head, when moves connect the move's 'Priority' calculates which attack stops and which is allowed to 'continue'.

MK has loads of priority on his moves, think it's that not the range.

If you try to hit him out of his glide attack, try it with the real tip of ike's blade, you should hit him (of both moves get canceled out).
Not sure, but those are my 5cents =)

Guilhe

Smash Ace
There is no priority between aerials, whoever conects their hitbox with the opponent's hurtbox first wins. Of corse MK's glide attack has a lot of range and speed, but I think you're not abusing your Fair range enough to hit him.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^what guilhe said.

+

All of MK's attacks are like this except for specials and his glide attack. So he pretty much has no priority and at the same time infinite priority because his attacks will never get eaten out and usually he'll be hitting you before you hit him.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
I've never beaten Metaknight's Glide attack with anything that Ike has. I stopped trying a looong time ago, I used to get killed by that stupidness way too much.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Yeah, i am kind of in the same situation silven lol. But I have figured out something that does work.

When hes coming if you just jump above him before doing the fair, the amount area you cover makes it much easier to hit with and metaknight has to adjust his angle. I have also found counter is pretty good to, as when he doesnt use the attack he has a lot of lag upon landing.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Yeah, i am kind of in the same situation silven lol. But I have figured out something that does work.

When hes coming if you just jump above him before doing the fair, the amount area you cover makes it much easier to hit with and metaknight has to adjust his angle. I have also found counter is pretty good to, as when he doesnt use the attack he has a lot of lag upon landing.
The problem with counter is that a lot of Metaknights like to play around with his ridiculous gliding and sometimes sway up and down in the glide so you never know if they're gonna do the glide attack or if they're just trying to intimidate you or get you to do something stupid. So what might happen is you see them coming towards you, but instead of glide attack they go up, cancel the glide and they can pretty much have their way with you at that point since you attempted a counter.:ohwell:

I will definitely counter if I know 100% the guy is stupid and will do the same thing over and over again though, it's always satisfying getting a counter off on MK.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
FAir has less priority than the glide attack, but it SHOULD outrange that attack as long as you're hitting MK with the tip of Ragnell. I'm not sure about this, though.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
if your not sure what the mk is going to do just up tilt, the two cancel each other out and leaves you on even playing fields which leaves you on a stand off of prediction, what will ike do next or what will mk do? if ike jabs and mk blocks then mk can grab u, if you block and he ftilts you, you can punish him with jabs. i utilize the up tilt when mk's glide attack is coming because even if it's gonna hit me my action of the up tilt will still cancel it out, try it out you'll see whatt i mean. even if you miss! it will still cancel it out! ikes up tilt is very underestimated, even though snakes up tilt and ikes up tilt kill the same but snakes has more range and does like +1 more damage, ikes has more defense on his up tilt over all.. i learned this from playing redhalberd's mk like 6 to 7 times after trying to out prioritize it forever with what you guys were talking about, fair, bair, counter etc.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I think it's just priority sticking out its ugly head, when moves connect the move's 'Priority' calculates which attack stops and which is allowed to 'continue'.

MK has loads of priority on his moves, think it's that not the range.

If you try to hit him out of his glide attack, try it with the real tip of ike's blade, you should hit him (of both moves get canceled out).
Not sure, but those are my 5cents =)
Erm, you seem to misunderstand how "priority" works.

There are no numbers that calculate which attack wins over which. Instead, what happens is when two attacks collide, the one to connect to the other's hurtbox first wins. Attacks with high priority have HUGE hitboxes and tiny hurtboxes. On the flipside, a low-priority attack has a small hitbox and huge hurtbox. Things like speed, range, and active frames also determine the "priority" of an attack.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Erm, you seem to misunderstand how "priority" works.

There are no numbers that calculate which attack wins over which. Instead, what happens is when two attacks collide, the one to connect to the other's hurtbox first wins. Attacks with high priority have HUGE hitboxes and tiny hurtboxes. On the flipside, a low-priority attack has a small hitbox and huge hurtbox. Things like speed, range, and active frames also determine the "priority" of an attack.
Not to get too off-topic, but you are right; one way to determine priority is how large the hitbox is. However, when two hitboxes collide at the same frame, then there is a sort of numerical value to priority. In Brawl, ground A attacks will clash if they do within 10% of damage (Ike's FTilt vs. Snake's FTilt). If they don't, then one attack will override the other (Ike's single jab vs Marth's FSmash). SCOTU goes into it more in his post on priority, which can be found here.

On topic: If the MK is using his glide attack out of a grounded Shuttle Loop, you can use Aether to hit him out of it. It should also work if he's trying to hit you with a glide attack that was started from far away, but the timing is trickier and it would probably be better to go for an UTilt, like Renegade said.

Top Bottom