• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extensive Rosalina and Luma Breakdown

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think a similar case was used for Mewtwo's light weight due to using psychic abilities to move around.

Still, maybe you're right and this is just a mix-up. She IS classified as heavier than average in Mario
Kart, but I always thought that was just because she was taller.
Unfortunately for Mewtwo, it truly was a lightweight in Melee, being lighter than even Peach and Zelda. In fact, it was one of the easiest lightweights to take out, all thanks to its tall, light, and floaty attributes.

Rosalina, on the other hand, is fortunate enough to be more like Samus in that she's on the heavy side, while also being floaty. The above average weight at least helps her survive big hits more easily.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Unfortunately for Mewtwo, it truly was a lightweight in Melee, being lighter than even Peach and Zelda. In fact, it was one of the easiest lightweights to take out, all thanks to its tall, light, and floaty attributes.

Rosalina, on the other hand, is fortunate enough to be more like Samus in that she's on the heavy side, while also being floaty. The above average weight at least helps her survive big hits more easily.
And you could smack his tail.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I think a similar case was used for Mewtwo's light weight due to using psychic abilities to move around.

Still, maybe you're right and this is just a mix-up. She IS classified as heavier than average in Mario
Mario Kart's weight system is based more on overall size than actual weight. Waluigi and Rosalina are both heavyweights in 8, and King Boo is also a heavyweight when he's playable despite theoretically weighing approximately nothing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario Kart's weight system is based more on overall size than actual weight. Waluigi and Rosalina are both heavyweights in 8, and King Boo is also a heavyweight when he's playable despite theoretically weighing approximately nothing.
There's also Yoshi, where even though he's often portrayed to be lighter than the Mario Bros. in Mario Kart, he's a heavyweight in the Smash Bros. titles. Princess Peach at least stays true to being lighter than Mario and Luigi.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606

She is not light, just floaty.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
May I venture to say that Luma shouldn't be your focus when fighting Rosalina? If you can get a quick and safe kill on it, then that would totally be to your benefit, but I feel like you should focus almost entirely on hitting Rosalina herself.

The whole "kill Luma then chip at Rosa" strategy has an extremely tiny window in order to deal real damage to Rosalina. Once that's over, the result of all your effort are literally reverted to 0 if you didn't manage to deal damage to Rosalina. If it really is easy for Rosalina to stall out those 8 seconds, then by using that strategy, you're putting yourself at a severe disadvantage against her.

otter

Smash Ace
i think youre overestimating how hard it will be to find and opportunity to hit luma.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
Luma is what killed any motivation I may have had to play this character. Watching Luma die over and over in those videos like it was the most effortless thing made me realize how much of a pita it's going to be to keep the character in her non-gimped state. The very fact the she can be weakened period is a major turn off for me.

There are points where because Luma floats in front of Rosa, unless you roll, it's going to get hit, go helpless and likely die. You can't use your shield since that only protects Rosa. A neutral combo or a dash attack is all it takes. Rolling and running away doesn't get you KO's. Stalling alone is not enough to win a game. You have to put Luma at risk in order to do that.

This is even worse when it's alone. You'll be spamming B so often due to how defenseless sending it out makes it. Side special has laughable range for a projectile. It can't dodge or protect itself in any real way when it's detached. If only it could mimic Rosa's defensive abilities as well as her offensive ones. That would go a long way toward making it manageable.

Here's what happens when Luma gets hit with an attack with moderate/strong knockback. As you can see. It aint pretty. So basically the best advice for keeping Luma alive is just to make it sure it never gets hit ever.

Keep Luma attached. It's Vulnerable. Send it out. It's even more so. High level Rosa play will boil down to how well said player is able to consistently keep it alive so as to avoid the so called "Lost Luma Lock" because she is one of the only characters besides Robin that can experience a temporary decrease in damage, coverage, range and attacking options during a match.

THAT is her main weakness. The fact that the advantage cooperating with Luma can potentially provide can be just as easily removed resulting in not only a loss in the combination options but all the aforementioned losses as well . Dealing with that will be a Rosa player's main challenge in every match. When playing most characters you only have to worry about one thing. Not the case with her.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did kind of point out that Rosalina's potential might not look good, simply because of how easy it is to eliminate the Luma. That could result in a poor tier position in the competitive environment.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
The TC/author of the article did indeed cover it in his write up, but for me the most telling sign was when he brought it up, despite all his time playing the character could offer no tips or advice on dealing with the "lost luma lock" situation.

There's almost nothing you can do to stop a competent opponent that's fully aware of the benefits Luma provides Rosa and actively acts to make it a non factor in a match from doing just that. It's a shame too because I adore Rosalina's character concept and the space themed visuals in her move-set.

otter

Smash Ace
having two targets on the screen is a problem no matter how good you are. If you get your opponent into a sandwich position they cant attack either one of you without trading. you can force this position anytime with luma shot. A good opponent will just nope the **** out, but youre still the one dictating the pace.

Am I convinced rosaluma will be good? no.

Are you guys over reacting? absolutely.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People are still worried about Rosalina even though nobody who wants to get good with her has gotten their hands on the final build?

Ur 2 slow

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
The TC/author of the article did indeed cover it in his write up, but for me the most telling sign was when he brought it up, despite all his time playing the character could offer no tips or advice on dealing with the "lost luma lock" situation.

There's almost nothing you can do to stop a competent opponent that's fully aware of the benefits Luma provides Rosa and actively acts to make it a non factor in a match from doing just that. It's a shame too because I adore Rosalina's character concept and the space themed visuals in her move-set.
I actually mention it pretty clearly, It kinda doesn't matter because Rosalina can hold her own. The strategy is just wait it out and be smart about were you put Luma. If you aren;t good at controlling him you'll lose him. It's a somewhat subjective thing but Just don't lose him and if you do take advantage of her range and disjointed hitboxes and great dodges.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So can I just reconfirm - Rosalina is indeed "heavy and floaty", not "light and floaty", right?

Because some people are trying to say she is lightweight.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
So can I just reconfirm - Rosalina is indeed "heavy and floaty", not "light and floaty", right?

Because some people are trying to say she is lightweight.
I would talk to someone who has the final build cause things may have changed. She is floaty but didn;t seem light weight but not a HEAVY weight. To em it was the Average plus.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Good news everyone! </farnsworth> @Deep2 has taken Rosalina to the lab and figured out how to desync her and Luma without using Luma Shot.

Smashboards thread.

There are two ways he's done it. The first is to do a short hop and immediately have Luma use Star Bits. This freezes Luma in place for the attack while Rosalina is airborne and free to do her own thing. You can follow up with more Star Bits, tilts, etc. and combo from there.

The second is to have Rosalina input an autocancel-capable aerial just before landing on the ground. Luma will perform the corresponding move, while Rosalina autocancels and is free to act.

Both of these techniques can be done while Luma is still linked to Rosalina. As a consequence, Luma will rush back to Rosalina's side as soon as it is able. Its trajectory can be exploited to attack an enemy en route.

The thread I linked has gfycat links to demonstrate.

(It also occurs to me that there may be a more appropriate place to post this, but IDK where it would be.)

Last edited:

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Not gonna lie: this thread totally solidified Rosalina & Luma as day-one main material for me. I DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT THE LEARNING CURVE, I WANT THEM COMBOS. That desync sounds fantastic, as well.

Though, I do wonder: does Luma have a shield of any sort? I would assume no if its shot away from Rosalina. Do they share a shield if it's linked close to her? I keep thinking of Luma as a greater purple Pikmin.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not gonna lie: this thread totally solidified Rosalina & Luma as day-one main material for me. I DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT THE LEARNING CURVE, I WANT THEM COMBOS. That desync sounds fantastic, as well.

Though, I do wonder: does Luma have a shield of any sort? I would assume no if its shot away from Rosalina. Do they share a shield if it's linked close to her? I keep thinking of Luma as a greater purple Pikmin.
Nah, Luma doesn't have a shield at all, and Rosalina's shield won't protect Luma as the attack could still hit Luma.

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Actually, in regards to that, I just saw something mildly irritating looking at some footage:

Falco's Neutral-B (laser) cancelled out Luma when it was shot, and Rosalina continued charging the Luma Shot as the Luma just stood there helplessly. No idea if it could be controlled during Rosalina's charging animation, but UGGGGGH. That might get annoying while being camped, but then again you could just Down-Special with Rosalina instead?

:sadsheep:

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Does anyone here know what forces airrelease from grabs in this game?, because in general grabrelease to luma upsmash is something i can get on some characters but others it feels more like a 50/50 between ground and airrelease.
EDIT: Falcos laser cant get autocanceled so in general its way to slow to be useful, and you can just rush into falco when he lasers making luma get hit and punish falco with rosalIna for a good punish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom