• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extensive Rosalina and Luma Breakdown

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
People tend to not see Luma as a threat so It can be easily punishable if you combine both of them
As someone who has kept track of Rosalina since her confirmation, I pretty much know that the Luma should never be ignored. After all, it's been shown that Rosalina needs the Luma to give her attacks a bigger punch, and without it, her KO potential gets reduced.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
As someone who has kept track of Rosalina since her confirmation, I pretty much know that the Luma should never be ignored. After all, it's been shown that Rosalina needs the Luma to give her attacks a bigger punch, and without it, her KO potential gets reduced.
I know besides Launch star could also be used as a stalling move of sorts go to the bottom of the stage wait a bit because of Rosie's Flouty Nature and and Just use Launch Star to get back on the stage so Luma should appear in about 3 seconds or so

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know besides Launch star could also be used as a stalling move of sorts go to the bottom of the stage wait a bit because of Rosie's Flouty Nature and and Just use Launch Star to get back on the stage so Luma should appear in about 3 seconds or so
This does depend on the stage, however.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
On the other hand, the opponent would simply focus on getting rid of the Luma, before pursuing Rosalina. The Luma may be a diversion, but getting rid of it would temporarily limit Rosalina's combat options for a while.
People tend to not see Luma as a threat so It can be easily punishable if you combine both of them
You know, like the Ice Climbers. That's like NOT pursuing Nana when they get separated. Luma is going to get targeted in any sort of match where the opponent knows what they're doing. It cripples Rosalina temporarily and allows for easier combos, less risk and higher reward. "No one sees it as a threat" is a better argument for why they would go after Luma anyways, because it isn't a threat and it's helping Rosalina, and now it's away and can be destroyed to make my job easier.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

otter

Smash Ace
Ya she is so much fun to play if you love the improvisational aspect of the game
As if I wasnt sold already!

How much can you DI during the helpless period of her recovery? I think that will be very important.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
As if I wasnt sold already!

How much can you DI during the helpless period of her recovery? I think that will be very important.
She has momentum cancelling capablities and great DI from what I've seen. Heck, I noticed this as early as the Invitational, she survived past 200% at points.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Once people see her played at high levels no one is ever going to ignore an opportunity to dispatch Luma quickly, especially cause it only takes one strong hit off the ledge.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
She has momentum cancelling capablities and great DI from what I've seen. Heck, I noticed this as early as the Invitational, she survived past 200% at points.
At the same time, it's an early build, and people said the knock back was weird.

With all this talk of how easy it is to dispatch the Lumas, we are certainly going to have to find ways to protect the little guys.

I mean, wow it seems so easy.

Last edited:

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
At the same time, it's an early build, and people said the knock back was weird.

With all this talk of how easy it is to dispatch the Lumas, we are certainly going to have to find ways to protect the little guys.

I mean, wow it seems so easy.
It is easy but it's also really easy to wait out the 7 seconds

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Rosalina has sufficient defensive tools to stall out the 8 seconds until Luma respawns. Her disjointed hitboxes are a credible way to poke back if the opponent gets frisky, the giant range on Launch Star gives her a quick getaway if necessary and lets her resort to jumping offstage and flying back, Gravitational Pull can deal with projectiles, and her attacks, while not really KO potential, still have respectable knockback that can buy time.

That said, I'm thinking the best way to protect Luma may be to keep it moving around as much as possible. Failing that, since it's basically a given that aiming for Luma will be a priority, Rosalina should position herself so that she can punish attempts to smack Luma away. The goal here won't be a straight up KO, but simply tacking on damage and keeping the opponent tied up until Luma recovers or respawns, depending on whether it got killed or not.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Rosalina has sufficient defensive tools to stall out the 8 seconds until Luma respawns. Her disjointed hitboxes are a credible way to poke back if the opponent gets frisky, the giant range on Launch Star gives her a quick getaway if necessary and lets her resort to jumping offstage and flying back, Gravitational Pull can deal with projectiles, and her attacks, while not really KO potential, still have respectable knockback that can buy time.

That said, I'm thinking the best way to protect Luma may be to keep it moving around as much as possible. Failing that, since it's basically a given that aiming for Luma will be a priority, Rosalina should position herself so that she can punish attempts to smack Luma away. The goal here won't be a straight up KO, but simply tacking on damage and keeping the opponent tied up until Luma recovers or respawns, depending on whether it got killed or not.
My thinking on this is the opposite, there is no need to protect Luma. Just make sure if you are losing Luma you are trading her for a kill or for safe recovery or some nice advantage. Luma is just too easy to kill to waste Rosalina (the real hub of the team) on protecting Luma at her expense.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My thinking on this is the opposite, there is no need to protect Luma. Just make sure if you are losing Luma you are trading her for a kill or for safe recovery or some nice advantage. Luma is just too easy to kill to waste Rosalina (the real hub of the team) on protecting Luma at her expense.
Keeping the Luma close does have its advantages though, since it could potentially save Rosalina from grab games. Likewise, the Luma makes it harder for close combat fighters to approach safely.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Keeping the Luma close does have its advantages though, since it could potentially save Rosalina from grab games. Likewise, the Luma makes it harder for close combat fighters to approach safely.
Keeping Luma close can also act as a nifty shield

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Keeping Luma close can also act as a nifty shield
Agreed on both counts! She will also move with you when you are linked together so that helps as well.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I agree that Luma is ultimately disposable, but when Rosalina gets to the point where she's fishing for a kill, letting Luma get destroyed will push her back a fair bit until it respawns. I can see bad players sending Luma out for unsafe setups and struggling to kill because it keeps getting smacked away.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You probably don't want to use the Luma recklessly. Know when it's okay to use the Luma Shot, and call the Luma back if you have to regroup.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
It bothers me how such a vital aspect of Rosalia's combat prowess is so easily dispatched. The very fact that you can (for about 8 seconds anyway) severely gimp her offense will make it most players top priority. You gain nothing by allowing Luma to live and it's a joke to kill it.

All you have to do is knock Luma into a helpless state over a pit and it's done for. No need to drain its health to zero. Because it can't recover when it's been made helpless until it either hits a solid surface or falls to it's death, keeping it alive depending on the stage will be extremity difficult.

Send it flying, and for the next 8 seconds or so Rosa's offensive presence become a mere shadow of itself. That's an advantage opportunity too good to pass up. The longer Rosa is without Luma, the better the opponents chances.

Starting at 1:57 in the Rosa vs. Bowser video linked in the article, The Rosa player for whatever reason makes their way the far left edge allowing Bowser to use his new dash attack to kick Luma off the edge. It falls to its death in a helpless free fall.

At 2:45 more or less the exact same thing happens again. The Rosa player has not learned their lesson yet. Luma's no good very bad day continues.

At 2:57 the Rosa player makes the same mistake a third time not 20 seconds later. All three times Bowser's dash attack was all it took (when you stand right next to a pit a helpless Luma can't recover from mind you) to kill it.

At 3:54 in what is the most pathetic Luma death yet, Bowser sends it flying off the center of the stage to its death with not even a smash attack.

At 7:15 in the Rosa vs. DK video in a near replica of the previous example, DK knocks it off to its death from center stage with his new rolling dash attack.

That's just how easy it easy to kill it on a stage like that. In the second to last example, it was with Rosa and she could do nothing for it. She recovers from Bowser's attack easily, but it can't.

The lessons?

1. Don't stand right next to a death pit with your Luma.
2. Don't leave your Luma unattended/unprotected.
3. Take care of and love your Luma. It deserves it.
4. Even if you do all these, Luma will still die. A lot. Never forget its many sacrifices for you.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
However, this makes her prone to Sword fighters, or anyone else who have long distance hitboxes, and can possibly hit both, as well as those who can put out long lasting hitboxes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Seeing that the Luma is quite easy to take out, this apparently doesn't bode well for Rosalina's potential in the competitive environment.

However, this makes her prone to Sword fighters, or anyone else who have long distance hitboxes, and can possibly hit both, as well as those who can put out long lasting hitboxes.
True, but I was more thinking about when the fighter isn't wielding a weapon.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Seeing that the Luma is quite easy to take out, this apparently doesn't bode well for Rosalina's potential in the competitive environment.

True, but I was more thinking about when the fighter isn't wielding a weapon.
I meant more the ones that are attached. See: Link, Marth, Ike, Lucina, Shulk, Meta Knight, Robin, Toon Link, and Pit to some extent.

I think it's the same as Ice Climbers, only better. It's a regenerating Nana. All we have to do is what all Melee Icy's have to learn: a halfway decent So-Po (for us, So-Ro) but instead of being locked into it, it's temporary. We get our puppet back, whereas Icy's are crippled until they die. Even comparing Icy's in tourneys where Wobbling is banned, they still do some work. So I'm not too worried about Rosalina's competitive use being based on Luma. I'm more concerned about whether she has a combo game, a camping game, a counter game or any sort of comeback (the 4 C's of Smash). If she has any or all of those, then the Luma shouldn't be what we're worried about.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I meant more the ones that are attached. See: Link, Marth, Ike, Lucina, Shulk, Meta Knight, Robin, Toon Link, and Pit to some extent.

I think it's the same as Ice Climbers, only better. It's a regenerating Nana. All we have to do is what all Melee Icy's have to learn: a halfway decent So-Po (for us, So-Ro) but instead of being locked into it, it's temporary. We get our puppet back, whereas Icy's are crippled until they die. Even comparing Icy's in tourneys where Wobbling is banned, they still do some work. So I'm not too worried about Rosalina's competitive use being based on Luma. I'm more concerned about whether she has a combo game, a camping game, a counter game or any sort of comeback (the 4 C's of Smash). If she has any or all of those, then the Luma shouldn't be what we're worried about.
Camping game is pretty much guaranteed because of Luma and Rosalina's ability to move around very well. It's been demonstrated pretty well at E3. Not to mention Luma has decent range himself.

Counter game is also guaranteed since it's been confirmed that enemy projectiles like Aura Sphere can actually be used by Rosalina if she uses Gravitational Pull to swing them around and an opponent runs into it. The Luma Guardian custom special also seems counter-oriented. Her dodge roll is amazingly quick, taking less than a second even when footage is slowed down to 0.25 speed (about 1:13:25 in this video):

This means she can run circles around some attacks with just her roll, not to mention it reaches pretty far (in the part of the above video I directed to prior, her roll goes from the very left edge of Battlefield's central design, to the very center of it). This combined with Luma's assistance bodes well for her counter game.

Combo game is something we can't fully call yet due to not having many players use her in a no items, 1v1 setting, but @ NashRiskin NashRiskin did discover stuff like that "Stellar Sandwich" technique.

And due to her ability to survive really well and Luma's quick regeneration time, I think Rosalina's comeback potential is definitely there, but we have not seen enough to really make a call on that.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Camping game is pretty much guaranteed because of Luma and Rosalina's ability to move around very well. It's been demonstrated pretty well at E3. Not to mention Luma has decent range himself.

Counter game is also guaranteed since it's been confirmed that enemy projectiles like Aura Sphere can actually be used by Rosalina if she uses Gravitational Pull to swing them around and an opponent runs into it. The Luma Guardian custom special also seems counter-oriented. Her dodge roll is amazingly quick, taking less than a second even when footage is slowed down to 0.25 speed (about 1:13:25 in this video):

This means she can run circles around some attacks with just her roll, not to mention it reaches pretty far (in the part of the above video I directed to prior, her roll goes from the very left edge of Battlefield's central design, to the very center of it). This combined with Luma's assistance bodes well for her counter game.

Combo game is something we can't fully call yet due to not having many players use her in a no items, 1v1 setting, but @ NashRiskin NashRiskin did discover stuff like that "Stellar Sandwich" technique.

And due to her ability to survive really well and Luma's quick regeneration time, I think Rosalina's comeback potential is definitely there, but we have not seen enough to really make a call on that.
Welp. That's it then. Rosalina is gonna be great.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
First off can I just say I'm so freaking excited about the debate forming about Rosalina!!! Also just thought I'd let you all know I went to Irvine this past weekend to play the 3ds and labbed a ton of other characters since Rosalina is not in the 3ds build yet (a blessing in disguise for me exploring the game more). I am doing similar breakdowns for Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, and Mega Man but played a ton of the other guys too so feel free ti hit me up w/ questions!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
At this point, I think there is no doubt that Rosalina will be competitively viable. The facts are there. We know how she functions. And I can't see them changing anything about her in the final build (apart from any universal changes that effect all characters, like adding wave dashing or something, which could only make her more fun to use), since her reception has been overwhelmingly positive. She won't be buffed since people seem satisfied with her, especially well-known community members like Prog and D1, and she won't be nerfed since very few people could even get to a competent level with her to begin with, since not many people got more than a few matches in the game - and the only reason for this is because she's the most technical character in the game so far, so only people who really got a lot of time with her have truly valid opinions on how she plays, and those people reckon she is fantastic.

Rosalina has weak spots, but I doubt they will be a bother for the best players:

She's one of the largest characters in the game, making her an easier target - so learn how to use that amazing dodge rolls of hers (for reference, her dodge roll looks better than Sonic and Meta Knight's did in Brawl, and they were considered to have some of the best in the game - Rosalina's dodge roll could potentially be the best yet in a Smash game, with it's amazing speed, distance, and "warp" animation adding an element of visual trickery). And learn how to use Luma to negate attacks if necessary.

Luma can get knocked off pretty easily - but only if you're careless, or rely on him too much. Rosalina can fight just fine, so be sure to switch things up between primarily fighting as Luma, and primarily fighting as Rosalina. And remember that you can overwhelm opponents by smartly positioning BOTH Rosalina & Luma, especially in 1v1 settings.

Really, those two points are the only weaknesses that might serve any sort of consistent problem. SoRo may have lackluster K.O potential, but it's a fair design choice, and isn't too big a deal anyway, especially since I was a Sonic main in Brawl. And unlike Sonic in Brawl, that low K.O potential is a brief slap on the wrist for losing Luma, rather than a constant pain to deal with. When Luma is present, Rosalina has monstrous power. So yeah, I'm not worried about that.

She just seems like she has too many possible applications to ever be anything but high tier, IMO. She might even end up as this game's Fox or Meta Knight if people get good enough with her, and then show those skills off in tournaments, thus convincing people who were on the fence about her to pick her up.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
At this point, I think there is no doubt that Rosalina will be competitively viable. The facts are there. We know how she functions. And I can't see them changing anything about her in the final build (apart from any universal changes that effect all characters, like adding wave dashing or something, which could only make her more fun to use), since her reception has been overwhelmingly positive. She won't be buffed since people seem satisfied with her, especially well-known community members like Prog and D1, and she won't be nerfed since very few people could even get to a competent level with her to begin with, since not many people got more than a few matches in the game - and the only reason for this is because she's the most technical character in the game so far, so only people who really got a lot of time with her have truly valid opinions on how she plays, and those people reckon she is fantastic.

Rosalina has weak spots, but I doubt they will be a bother for the best players:

She's one of the largest characters in the game, making her an easier target - so learn how to use that amazing dodge rolls of hers (for reference, her dodge roll looks better than Sonic and Meta Knight's did in Brawl, and they were considered to have some of the best in the game - Rosalina's dodge roll could potentially be the best yet in a Smash game, with it's amazing speed, distance, and "warp" animation adding an element of visual trickery). And learn how to use Luma to negate attacks if necessary.

Luma can get knocked off pretty easily - but only if you're careless, or rely on him too much. Rosalina can fight just fine, so be sure to switch things up between primarily fighting as Luma, and primarily fighting as Rosalina. And remember that you can overwhelm opponents by smartly positioning BOTH Rosalina & Luma, especially in 1v1 settings.

Really, those two points are the only weaknesses that might serve any sort of consistent problem. SoRo may have lackluster K.O potential, but it's a fair design choice, and isn't too big a deal anyway, especially since I was a Sonic main in Brawl. And unlike Sonic in Brawl, that low K.O potential is a brief slap on the wrist for losing Luma, rather than a constant pain to deal with. When Luma is present, Rosalina has monstrous power. So yeah, I'm not worried about that.

She just seems like she has too many possible applications to ever be anything but high tier, IMO. She might even end up as this game's Fox or Meta Knight if people get good enough with her, and then show those skills off in tournaments, thus convincing people who were on the fence about her to pick her up.

Well put overall especially to the point of positioning Luma with purpose. Again Luma is sometimes best used as bait to get in a kill as ROSALINA HERSELF. Keep in Mind Rosalina has a kill move in up smash and can juggle with up air and pseudo spike with dair. She can grab without Luma and has an amazing dodge. She is fine with out Luma, just fine.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If only I had an idea on how the up tilt works, because no one ever mentioned anything about it during E3 2014. I hope that it's just as usable as the up aerial.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
If only I had an idea on how the up tilt works, because no one ever mentioned anything about it during E3 2014. I hope that it's just as usable as the up aerial.
Oh hey! I hear you have questions about up tilt. Guess what!? IT'S AMAZING!!!

It is simialr to Uair but it has more of an impact frame when used. It's more of an anti Air move and other up tilts alone but with Luma it is good at popping opponents up into the air, up tilt also seems to lead into up air nicely but it is not a true combo.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh hey! I hear you have questions about up tilt. Guess what!? IT'S AMAZING!!!

It is simialr to Uair but it has more of an impact frame when used. It's more of an anti Air move and other up tilts alone but with Luma it is good at popping opponents up into the air, up tilt also seems to lead into up air nicely but it is not a true combo.
That's good to know, as I was hoping that the up tilt would be an efficient counter against certain attacks from above. In fact, I also hope that it's good for juggling purposes.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It is easy but it's also really easy to wait out the 7 seconds
Sorry for it being a while to reply.

However, I don't think you see whats the problem with Luma being so easy to kill.

If Luma is as easy to kill as you say, then all the opponent has to do is this:
1. Get a decent shot on Luma.

2. It dies.

3. Get chip damage on Rosalina.

4. Wait for it to respawn.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 until Rosalina gets to kill percentage.

6. Kill Rosalina.

If it wasn't apparently so easy to kill Rosalina and took a got a couple more hits I might agree with you. However, even if she could stall, if she never even gets an opportunity to even use Luma her options might be too limited to be viable.

Without the options she gets from Luma, she becomes predictable. And if people learn how to deal with Luma quickly, then it's bye bye viability.

Yeah, she could try to stall. However, whats good with stalling if you are not attacking and the Luma is just going to get killed immediately anyway? You ca't stall forever.

Anyway, I'm hoping there will be a lot of methods discovered to protect Luma and/or Luma ends up not being as easily killable in the final game.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Sorry for it being a while to reply.

However, I don't think you see whats the problem with Luma being so easy to kill.

If Luma is as easy to kill as you say, then all the opponent has to do is this:
1. Get a decent shot on Luma.

2. It dies.

3. Get chip damage on Rosalina.

4. Wait for it to respawn.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 until Rosalina gets to kill percentage.

6. Kill Rosalina.

If it wasn't apparently so easy to kill Rosalina and took a got a couple more hits I might agree with you. However, even if she could stall, if she never even gets an opportunity to even use Luma her options might be too limited to be viable.

Without the options she gets from Luma, she becomes predictable. And if people learn how to deal with Luma quickly, then it's bye bye viability.

Yeah, she could try to stall. However, whats good with stalling if you are not attacking and the Luma is just going to get killed immediately anyway? You ca't stall forever.

Anyway, I'm hoping there will be a lot of methods discovered to protect Luma and/or Luma ends up not being as easily killable in the final game.
If you read my breakdown I talk about this EXACTLY. It's what I call the Lost Luma Lock. The thing you aren;t taking into account is Rosalina Controls Luma through mechanics and through movements. If they are linked they both attack together if you and Luma attack together you generally win out over th opponent. This also gets into the point I was making about Rosalina's weaknesses also being her strengths but it is all predicated on being able to analyze all the data at once and make the right decisions.

The other point is Rosalina is a full character minus 2 B moves w/o Luma. She can more than stand her ground. One of the best stall tactics I found was to dodge around and go in for the grab. The stall can be an offensive one as well. I didn't need Luma to succeed, but damn if it didn;t help. And a lot of the time it was the threat of Luma, more than Luma himself that helped me get the win.

The main balance to this character is that Luma (if used improperly) can be easily killed. Otherwise Rosa is way too good.

otter

Smash Ace
Id like to know if dair and upair can go through platforms

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'd like to point out that Rosalina's FSmash looks like Chun-Li firing a Kikoken XD.

Tall, lightweight and floaty have been a historically bad combination (just ask Mewtwo) but her disjointed tilts
and aerials will do wonders for defense.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd like to point out that Rosalina's FSmash looks like Chun-Li firing a Kikoken XD.

Tall, lightweight and floaty have been a historically bad combination (just ask Mewtwo) but her disjointed tilts
and aerials will do wonders for defense.
Rosalina isn't even lightweight though. She's like Samus - heavy and floaty. Sakurai's post was referring to her floatiness when he said she was "very light". People who've played as her have stated that she survives really well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Rosalina isn't even lightweight though. She's like Samus - heavy and floaty. Sakurai's post was referring to her floatiness when he said she was "very light". People who've played as her have stated that she survives really well.
Really? It wasn't just large stage boundaries and DI?
Does he call Fox heavy then?

I would think he would know the difference between weight and falling speed. They have no connection
whatsoever.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Really? It wasn't just large stage boundaries and DI?
Does he call Fox heavy then?

I would think he would know the difference between weight and falling speed. They have no connection
whatsoever.
Nope, other known lightweights like Kirby and Pikachu were getting knocked out as expected. I've heard that the 3DS stages have unusually large boundaries at times, but the Wii U stages seem to have the sort you would expect, and Rosalina was playable exclusively in the Wii U demos (not including the recent Japanese 3DS demo, she's playable in that, but I've heard little about her in that demo).

I think the wording of the Miiverse post may have been either a case of it being lost in translation, or Sakurai was speaking colloquially, since less experienced players do actually refer to fall speed as "weight" (I used to myself).

Just for reference, here's the Miiverse post:

"Rosalina's got height! She is seriously tall! However, she boasts an anti-gravity effect, so she's very light."

I think the tell-tale sign that he was really referring to her fall speed is the mention of "anti-gravity effect". That really shouldn't effect her weight, but it does allow her to fly around in her original game, so that's been translated into Smash Bros my making her fall slowly, but move swiftly in the air.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nope, other known lightweights like Kirby and Pikachu were getting knocked out as expected. I've heard that the 3DS stages have unusually large boundaries at times, but the Wii U stages seem to have the sort you would expect, and Rosalina was playable exclusively in the Wii U demos (not including the recent Japanese 3DS demo, she's playable in that, but I've heard little about her in that demo).

I think the wording of the Miiverse post may have been either a case of it being lost in translation, or Sakurai was speaking colloquially, since less experienced players do actually refer to fall speed as "weight" (I used to myself).

Just for reference, here's the Miiverse post:

"Rosalina's got height! She is seriously tall! However, she boasts an anti-gravity effect, so she's very light."

I think the tell-tale sign that he was really referring to her fall speed is the mention of "anti-gravity effect". That really shouldn't effect her weight, but it does allow her to fly around in her original game, so that's been translated into Smash Bros my making her fall slowly, but move swiftly in the air.
I think a similar case was used for Mewtwo's light weight due to using psychic abilities to move around.

Still, maybe you're right and this is just a mix-up. She IS classified as heavier than average in Mario
Kart, but I always thought that was just because she was taller.

Top Bottom