• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extensive Rosalina and Luma Breakdown

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Were you the same guy who posted to Reddit inviting everyone to ask about Rosalina? Your notes seem similar to the responses OP made in that thread.

Anyway, the more I hear about Rosalina the more excited I am to play as her. I expect that she'll end up rather high on the tier list, but only after an extended period where everyone sleeps on her until someone shocks us at a tournament, kind of like what happened with the Ice Climbers if memory serves. She's definitely up there with the Ice Climbers and Olimar in terms of "difficult to learn."

Her biggest weakness that I could discern from watching videos, and your analysis concurs, is that Rosalina has very few kill moves by herself; Luma has most of the KO power. On the bright side, Rosalina's survivablity is not crippled without Luma like Popo is without Nana. (Disjointed hitboxes for days...) So waiting out the timer for Luma to respawn shouldn't be too difficult, although it'll probably involve sacrificing stage control.

And with that I think I'll stop gushing.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Were you the same guy who posted to Reddit inviting everyone to ask about Rosalina? Your notes seem similar to the responses OP made in that thread.

Anyway, the more I hear about Rosalina the more excited I am to play as her. I expect that she'll end up rather high on the tier list, but only after an extended period where everyone sleeps on her until someone shocks us at a tournament, kind of like what happened with the Ice Climbers if memory serves. She's definitely up there with the Ice Climbers and Olimar in terms of "difficult to learn."

Her biggest weakness that I could discern from watching videos, and your analysis concurs, is that Rosalina has very few kill moves by herself; Luma has most of the KO power. On the bright side, Rosalina's survivablity is not crippled without Luma like Popo is without Nana. (Disjointed hitboxes for days...) So waiting out the timer for Luma to respawn shouldn't be too difficult, although it'll probably involve sacrificing stage control.

And with that I think I'll stop gushing.

Yes I am the very same! You caught me!!!!

As for Rosa alone her lack of kill options it is true she looses that and stage control but grab and up smash are still so good it really doesn't feel like she looses much at all. She can play survivor for so long the 7 seconds fly by. I single grab and back throw alone can buy you about half the time as is!

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Yes I am the very same! You caught me!!!!

As for Rosa alone her lack of kill options it is true she looses that and stage control but grab and up smash are still so good it really doesn't feel like she looses much at all. She can play survivor for so long the 7 seconds fly by. I single grab and back throw alone can buy you about half the time as is!
Going on a complete tangent, it reminds me of P4Arena when you get Persona Broken. If you're Elizabeth, you can try and grab them with Shuffle Time, and the animation is long enough that it eats up most of the time before she's un-broken. She can also do a really low-damage combo that still involves like 3 or 4 super cancels for the same purpose.

Back on topic, Rosalina hype go.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Ya she is so much fun to play if you love the improvisational aspect of the game. Much like playing vs IC the opponent just has to play a totally different game than they are used to playing with the rest of the cast.

Have you gotten a chance to play the game at all?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I played a couple of rounds at Best Buy, but nothing else. I managed to win the first match, which was a pleasant surprise.

There wasn't much interest in her until SDCC from what I can gather. I think the 1v1 format they used there really showed off her strengths.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
I played a couple of rounds at Best Buy, but nothing else. I managed to win the first match, which was a pleasant surprise.

There wasn't much interest in her until SDCC from what I can gather. I think the 1v1 format they used there really showed off her strengths.
Hahaha ya I mean most people (and Nintendo Reps) where asking me how I knew what I was doing the whole time. I love Rosalina's style. Swag for days!

Last edited:

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
This was very informative, I didn't know Luma was so essential to her. Thanks!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While Rosalina alone might not have many easy K.O moves, I see some of them being useful in the hands of experienced players. She'll still be able to push people off with multiple hits, I reckon, or people might get good with her Down Air and spike them down.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
While Rosalina alone might not have many easy K.O moves, I see some of them being useful in the hands of experienced players. She'll still be able to push people off with multiple hits, I reckon, or people might get good with her Down Air and spike them down.
Re: SoRo

She struggles to kill but plays great keep away. Her Up Smash is a kill move alone but overall she is just vulnerable. Really when she is alone she's just more predictable but is a full character minus 2 B moves.

In regards to down air, it's actually a very weak spike. What it does do well however is send opponents sideways when hit a little ot one side or another. To get the kill you kinda have to spike them more than once.

This was very informative, I didn't know Luma was so essential to her. Thanks!
Luma is the heart and soul of her game. Without Luma Rosalina is just an okay survivor, keep away character.

Last edited by a moderator:

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
It is pretty odd how the down aerial is so weak, despite looking quite impressive on the trailer.
Don't get me wrong, the move is extremely versatile and a mainstay of her moveset, it just isn't the most effect kill spike. It's much better for its horizontal knockback effect and it works really well as a repetitive spike forcing them to constantly re attempt their recovery. It is a good control move and a surprisingly effect approach move is positioned correctly due to the large disjointed hit box.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Gorgeous analysis. Makes me want to lab some of the things you stated with her, like Combo potential.
It'll be nice to see something that it's 1v1v1v1, where it's real mind games, and not half luck.
I have a feeling SoRo will be like SoPo. It'll look bad, but someone will pull it along to be okay. and it isn't like Nana dying, Luma comes back, making her vastly superior IMO.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Gorgeous analysis. Makes me want to lab some of the things you stated with her, like Combo potential.
It'll be nice to see something that it's 1v1v1v1, where it's real mind games, and not half luck.
I have a feeling SoRo will be like SoPo. It'll look bad, but someone will pull it along to be okay. and it isn't like Nana dying, Luma comes back, making her vastly superior IMO.
SoRo is no where near as limited as SoPo. And it is beyond easy to stall out the Luma wait time. Heck because of the insane range of her up B you can even jump deep down the stage and then Launch up the underpart of the stage and grab the ledge to shave a good 4-5 seconds off your wait time. The stall tactics are something I probably should have included in my analysis but honestly it was getting really long as is...

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
SoRo is no where near as limited as SoPo. And it is beyond easy to stall out the Luma wait time. Heck because of the insane range of her up B you can even jump deep down the stage and then Launch up the underpart of the stage and grab the ledge to shave a good 4-5 seconds off your wait time. The stall tactics are something I probably should have included in my analysis but honestly it was getting really long as is...
Disagree. Longer is better. Look at the pages and pages of frame data m2k did. Extend! This is a really defensive character, and I'd love to see that!

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Disagree. Longer is better. Look at the pages and pages of frame data m2k did. Extend! This is a really defensive character, and I'd love to see that!
LOLZ I was about to ask you this whole long thing about what you were disagreeing about with my Rosalina analysis until I realized you were disagreeing about my analysis being too long! Haha. Maybe I'll write up an addendum and post it here and maybe incorporate it into the OG article.

In that vein is there anything missing from my initial analysis that you would like to know more about?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
LOLZ I was about to ask you this whole long thing about what you were disagreeing about with my Rosalina analysis until I realized you were disagreeing about my analysis being too long! Haha. Maybe I'll write up an addendum and post it here and maybe incorporate it into the OG article.

In that vein is there anything missing from my initial analysis that you would like to know more about?
I didn't see anything missing as such.

Like you said yourself, the character has seemingly limitless potential. Your article points out enough key things for me, though I of course look forward to discovering more about her. That's part of why I'm so excited to play as her.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
I didn't see anything missing as such.

Like you said yourself, the character has seemingly limitless potential. Your article points out enough key things for me, though I of course look forward to discovering more about her. That's part of why I'm so excited to play as her.
What I am excited for is how much each matchup will necessitate a different style of play from both Rosalina and the opponent. And then also (if viable competatively) the evolutionary arms race of picking custom moves for each specific match up. Don't need gravitational pull against Little Mac but boy would Guardian or the blow away move be interesting alts to sub in!

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
Makes me hype for RosaLuma again :3 So: no Luma means low KO potential until Luma can be resummoned. @ NashRiskin NashRiskin In your opinion, who's floatier among the three princesses, assuming Peach was playable in past demos of the game? Also, what's DI (Directional Influence)? Some terms used in the metagame are making me doozy since I'm a casual but still want to understand it? ^_^

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Makes me hype for RosaLuma again :3 So: no Luma means low KO potential until Luma can be resummoned. In your opinion, who's floatier among the three princesses, assuming Peach was playable in past demos of the game? Also, what's DI (Directional Influence)? Some terms used in the metagame are making me doozy since I'm a casual but still want to understand it? ^_^
Directional Influence is exactly what it says on the tin - by moving the Control Stick and/or the C-Stick in a particular direction when you are launched, you can influence how far you fly. Some characters do it better than others. Rosalina has great horizontal DI since she's floaty, and heavy.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Makes me hype for RosaLuma again :3 So: no Luma means low KO potential until Luma can be resummoned. @ NashRiskin NashRiskin In your opinion, who's floatier among the three princesses, assuming Peach was playable in past demos of the game? Also, what's DI (Directional Influence)? Some terms used in the metagame are making me doozy since I'm a casual but still want to understand it? ^_^
Rosalina is "floaty" but has amazing Spacing ability. Additionally the Luma is quick and hard hitting so between the two of them they cover a lot of play style and they really compliment each other really well. Among the three Princesses (assuming you mean Peach, Zelda, and Rosa) I imagine Rosa but Peach has yet to be playable in any demo. That said Peach can literally FLOAT so I I think the real tenor of your question is somewhat missed on me.

A character with good DI also tends to have amazing aerial mobility and Rosa and do all kinds of retreating aerials and what not giving her even better spacing options.

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
Rosalina is "floaty" but has amazing Spacing ability. Additionally the Luma is quick and hard hitting so between the two of them they cover a lot of play style and they really compliment each other really well. Among the three Princesses (assuming you mean Peach, Zelda, and Rosa) I imagine Rosa but Peach has yet to be playable in any demo. That said Peach can literally FLOAT so I I think the real tenor of your question is somewhat missed on me.

A character with good DI also tends to have amazing aerial mobility and Rosa and do all kinds of retreating aerials and what not giving her even better spacing options.
By "floatier" I meant whose falling speed is slowest and how long they can be airborne but in a way, you answered my question so no worries. Still waiting for damaging variant of the Launch Star though XD. Anyhoos, thanks ^_^

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Very good analysis. Still left with many questions just due to the fact we need more time with her mechanics, especially in a 1v1 setting.

If custom moves are allowed, I do see the damaging version of Gravitional Pull getting used more, depending on the character. Likewise, there could be a damaging version of the Launch Star but it'll probably have a huge nerf, like shorter recovery distance.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Very good analysis. Still left with many questions just due to the fact we need more time with her mechanics, especially in a 1v1 setting.

If custom moves are allowed, I do see the damaging version of Gravitional Pull getting used more, depending on the character. Likewise, there could be a damaging version of the Launch Star but it'll probably have a huge nerf, like shorter recovery distance.
Thanks for reading! If you have any Q's throw them my way and I'll see what I can do with them.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
I've been watching a lot of VGBootCamp Tournements recently and I stumbled on this match up

Mewtwo vs Metaknight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I_00sncuUg&list=UUj1J3QuIftjOq9iv_rr7Egw

Now take out the salt shaker a bit here cause I know its not a GREAT comparison, but this seemed to speak a bit to what potential problems Rosalina could have with MetaKnight (assuming he doesn't have an INSANE overhaul of mechs and stats).

I think Rosa could to struggle mightily against Meta Knight, he can close the gap quickly, put on pressure, and punish predictable recovery. Add in a disjointed hit box and I think we might have a Rosa counter here. Thought it might be worthy of a potential discussion.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ NashRiskin NashRiskin : While I did mention Meta Knight when I did my Rosalina article several months back, it was a matchup that I couldn't really determine who would have the advantage.

Brawl's gameplay mechanics were one of the main reasons for why Meta Knight was so mighty. However, Smash 4's gameplay mechanics might not give Meta Knight the same treatment, especially since gliding is no longer possible.

Anyway, for all we know, Rosalina could end up having a slight advantage against Meta Knight. It will come down to how drastic Meta Knight's changes are though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
TBH, I don't feel Launch Star is THAT predictable. You can aim it and your opponent can't tell where it's aimed before you're actually on your way. And since Rosalina is so floaty, she won't just use it straight away in most cases, she can hang around off the edge for a while. And the way the speed and arc of it is, it's designed to get you to the ground quickly, but also way over your opponents head. And we've yet to see the custom versions of it too.

Meta Knight will probably be one of the better opponents against her by virtue of being fast (assuming he works just like before), but I'm not thinking he'll be a huge threat. Especially if his horizontal aerial movement speed is just like it was in Brawl. Without his glide, that would be a pretty big disadvantage against Rosalina.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy

Ya I agree a lot has yet to be determined re: Meta Knight and Brawl Mechs. I just feel like I have been a scosh biased in my Rosalina analysis in terms of who can counter her and while watching that vid I could see glimmers and notes of how the match up MIGHT play.

I guess I'm just in too much of a speculation hype since that "leak" came out haha.

Re: Rosalina recovery

Ya its not THAT predictable I agree, but it is one of the few concrete vulnerabilities that I could find in her game. It's a very versatile move, especially since it rides under stage. I just want someone to poke holes in my analysis so there can be a little back and forth but from what I'm gathering on this Rosa page I may be the person who has played her the most (outside of devs obviously).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy

Ya I agree a lot has yet to be determined re: Meta Knight and Brawl Mechs. I just feel like I have been a scosh biased in my Rosalina analysis in terms of who can counter her and while watching that vid I could see glimmers and notes of how the match up MIGHT play.

I guess I'm just in too much of a speculation hype since that "leak" came out haha.

Re: Rosalina recovery

Ya its not THAT predictable I agree, but it is one of the few concrete vulnerabilities that I could find in her game. It's a very versatile move, especially since it rides under stage. I just want someone to poke holes in my analysis so there can be a little back and forth but from what I'm gathering on this Rosa page I may be the person who has played her the most (outside of devs obviously).
Well I won't be playing it 'til the game comes out because Nintendo hates my country! :p

But more seriously, I get what you mean - sometimes, praise can feel tedious, like you're getting too much credit and you would rather hear some criticism so you can improve.

But really, not many people outside of Nintendo would have played Rosalina as much as you, because most people were interested in the Super Fighting Robot, the cool boxer, or the ninja Pokémon. Nobody was hyped for the space goddess. :c

I think you're analysis is reliable. While it makes Rosalina sound like she will be one of the best characters in the history of the franchise, that's not necessarily poor analysis, it might just be the case. Maybe if you had this sort of time with Meta Knight before Brawl came out, for instance, you would have been able to call him out on his OP status before the game was even out.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Well I won't be playing it 'til the game comes out because Nintendo hates my country! :p

But more seriously, I get what you mean - sometimes, praise can feel tedious, like you're getting too much credit and you would rather hear some criticism so you can improve.

But really, not many people outside of Nintendo would have played Rosalina as much as you, because most people were interested in the Super Fighting Robot, the cool boxer, or the ninja Pokémon. Nobody was hyped for the space goddess. :c

I think you're analysis is reliable. While it makes Rosalina sound like she will be one of the best characters in the history of the franchise, that's not necessarily poor analysis, it might just be the case. Maybe if you had this sort of time with Meta Knight before Brawl came out, for instance, you would have been able to call him out on his OP status before the game was even out.
That sucks that you have to wait so long.....

I've been super spoiled in So Cal. I Played at SDCC and am about to go down to Ivrine for a 3DS fest(sadly no Rosalina there though).

And I do believe Rosa will be a top flight character. She just seems like she has all the tools and only needs a good craftsman.

Last edited:

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
This was a wonderful read, thanks. :)
I'm really excited to play as Rosalina & Luma; I've been planning on maining them since they were announced.
Your analysis has me even more excited from thinking of the possibilities they offer as characters.

:rosalina:

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
This was a wonderful read, thanks. :)
I'm really excited to play as Rosalina & Luma; I've been planning on maining them since they were announced.
Your analysis has me even more excited from thinking of the possibilities they offer as characters.

:rosalina:

Thanks man! Really glad you enjoyed the read! I was an IC main for the other games so while I am really nervous about their inclusion in Sm4sh, I'm glad to know that at least what attracted me to them in the first place is somewhat present in Rosalina's gameplay.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Awesome Read!! I got to play a some matches too, most of them with Rosalina and Luma (definitely not 120 though)
This just got me even more excited to play as the dynamic duo!! Thanks!!

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Awesome Read!! I got to play a some matches too, most of them with Rosalina and Luma (definitely not 120 though)
This just got me even more excited to play as the dynamic duo!! Thanks!!
Rock on man!

Did you notice anything in your playtime that seemed to contradict any of my analysis?

Love your Signature! No idea how to do that kinda stuff.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman

I want to see stall tactics, basic combo bait, matchup details, power with/without luma, and her relation to other characters. She seems like a mix between ICy and Peach, but I have yet to play her. I just watch her extensively

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Launch Star seems like it could be a very unpredictable move as well since say if you have sent out luma with Luma Shot and is attacking the foe the enemy might see past it and ignore luma and run after Rosalina so Its Simple Catch them off guard by Launching yourself to the other side of the stage while the opponent is in awe and since I'd assume they'd try to go after Rosalina again send out Luma to deal some damage since you are right beside him after all if do correctly Launch Star could be a Fantastic and very strategic move

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Launch Star seems like it could be a very unpredictable move as well since say if you have sent out luma with Luma Shot and is attacking the foe the enemy might see past it and ignore luma and run after Rosalina so Its Simple Catch them off guard by Launching yourself to the other side of the stage while the opponent is in awe and since I'd assume they'd try to go after Rosalina again send out Luma to deal some damage since you are right beside him after all if do correctly Launch Star could be a Fantastic and very strategic move
On the other hand, the opponent would simply focus on getting rid of the Luma, before pursuing Rosalina. The Luma may be a diversion, but getting rid of it would temporarily limit Rosalina's combat options for a while.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Wow, excellent analysis. I'm definitely looking forward to her even more now.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
On the other hand, the opponent would simply focus on getting rid of the Luma, before pursuing Rosalina. The Luma may be a diversion, but getting rid of it would temporarily limit Rosalina's combat options for a while.
People tend to not see Luma as a threat so It can be easily punishable if you combine both of them

Top Bottom