• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Litt

Samus
Huh, are you sure? It looked to me like it was just a quick DJ fair. Samus' DJ goes almost nowhere, so I thought he was just landing during the beginning of fair...

The funny (and sad) thing is that Falco could easily just take the hit and be fine, since bombs have almost no hitstun.
It has something to do with samus's perceived center of mass after a double jump is used, it allowed the fair to come out while not contacting plat, then collision thingy got interrupted and forced a land. Not just a short double jump :/

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Don't mean to revive dead topics, but this one was never really settled... Remember this post I made from two years ago (and the argument it sparked)?
Now, upB's hitbox and frame data is perfect for ensuring beat-outs or trades, but in my experience, I find that one of the best ways to hit the spacees, especially Fox, OoS with upB is to actually trade with it on their aerial. Why? Well, the spacees get flung up in a good bit of hitstun from even just the first hit of upB. However, Samus usually can't take advantage of it because she is going through the entire Screw Attack motions herself. By trading, Samus gets knocked out of the upB animation early with minimal KB and the spacee is still flung up into the air, leaving Samus completely free to follow up.

I personally actually aim for trades for this reason sometimes when I know the opponent is going to dairshine and it works! :) If it's Fox, Samus gets knocked lightly out of upB and has all the time in the world to retaliate. If it's Falco, at low %'s, it's the same as with Fox but with a little more hitstun for Samus, and at mid-high %'s, you just have to make sure you tech the ground. This 'cancelled upB' combos into pretty much anything way more reliably than the full upB does.
Well, look at who decided to use that exact strategy. Even the commentators pointed out that Plup would always try to go for that trade if possible, lolz.
UpB trades with Falco's dair are great. ;)

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Huh, are you sure? It looked to me like it was just a quick DJ fair. Samus' DJ goes almost nowhere, so I thought he was just landing during the beginning of fair...

The funny (and sad) thing is that Falco could easily just take the hit and be fine, since bombs have almost no hitstun.
Oh I was joking. Not only is this very unsafe, it's also ridiculously difficult looking.

Litt

Samus
Don't mean to revive dead topics, but this one was never really settled... Remember this post I made from two years ago (and the argument it sparked)?

Well, look at who decided to use that exact strategy. Even the commentators pointed out that Plup would always try to go for that trade if possible, lolz.
UpB trades with Falco's dair are great. ;)
dude the spot you linked us to in the video... it wasnt advantageous for samus, she lost positioning and percent... regardless what the commentators point out... its not always optimal to make that trade... literally proven by the video you posted where in that situations plup came out in the red.......... :/

You bring up old **** just to prove yourself wrong? Go home scrubbaking and do your homework

bubbaking

Smash Hero
She lost positioning.....from knocking Falco offstage? :confused: The time-stamp went to the 10 second mark, right? Even if Falco hadn't gotten knocked offstage, it's a free tech-chase if he lands on a platform and a free combo if he doesn't. Why do you care about taking damage when we're playing a character that's literally made to tank hits? <__<

Whatever, lolz, I don't really care. I was just reminded of this old conversation when I saw that, but I had already agreed to disagree a long time ago. I don't think the best Samus in the world would decide to upB like that when it was blatantly obvious Falco was gonna come down with dair after spending his DJ if he thought the trade was bad.

inb4 you say something like plup no long plays samus, lolz

Litt

Samus
She lost positioning.....from knocking Falco offstage? :confused: The time-stamp went to the 10 second mark, right? Even if Falco hadn't gotten knocked offstage, it's a free tech-chase if he lands on a platform and a free combo if he doesn't. Why do you care about taking damage when we're playing a character that's literally made to tank hits? <__<

Whatever, lolz, I don't really care. I was just reminded of this old conversation when I saw that, but I had already agreed to disagree a long time ago. I don't think the best Samus in the world would decide to upB like that when it was blatantly obvious Falco was gonna come down with dair after spending his DJ if he thought the trade was bad.

inb4 you say something like plup no long plays samus, lolz
Again, plup no longer plays samus, and dont **** ride as his reaction decision to justify a baseless claim of always use this option. Just go home and do your homework instead of just guessing based on choices of better players.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You baited him... just to say you're not trying to bait him?

That's really....

Quite brilliant, actually.

Litt

Samus
"Don't mean to revive dead topics, but this one was never really settled... Remember this post I made from two years ago (and the argument it sparked)?"

You dont mean to revive dead topic... but you are going to do it anyway because why the hell not... because something that wasn't settled then, certainly wont be now and poking the bear certainly wont make a confrontation happen.

"Well, look at who decided to use that exact strategy. Even the commentators pointed out that Plup would always try to go for that trade if possible, lolz."

Hey everyone, im going to dickride plup, the ex samus that said out character wasn't good enough to make it at the top and switched... OHH and look the commentators who know nada about samus notice a pattern of plup choosing an option. MUST MEAN I AM RIGHT SUCK IT BARBIE....

Barbie: ... dude you are so ****ing wrong, pulp gained nothing from that situation because the position he did obtain from the trade was lost immediately and samus just got tacked on 20+ damage for 2 dairs and falco got .5 or 1% and no net position lost.....

Scrubbadubbaking: Whatever, lolz, I don't really care. I was just reminded of this old conversation when I saw that, but I had already agreed to disagree a long time ago.

Ph00t: so you brought up old **** to bait him, for him to just prove you wrong tell you to shut up and leave, then you said lol jk im leaving :/

Great story, moral: just don't waste your time with scrubbaking. He is an artard that thinks his **** smells good.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Nice! I've been practicing it for 4 years already, but still haven't implemented into my game. I hope you will make it work, Cori! :D

Litt

Samus
Not saying this is necessarily a game changer, but my jank catalog is in perpetual growth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jew_sAcCNc
Not realistic to practice against a shield that does not diminish, you need to hit much closer to inner part of shield to get 2 out and the angle for the wavedash changes as well so you dont get naired, baired, or grabed OoS. Like cool you got a swd into wavebomb, but its not new tech nor is it that hard. Like if you wanted to legit practice or put up a preview for EVO, do a video of AIing from both of battlefield's ledges 100% invins 15+ times and that is a preview video id be impressed with. Just my thoughts and opinions, not trying to take anything away from you, still looked awesome and I look forward to more.

Last edited:

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I'm practicing a pressure against a shielding opponent below a platform:
Run up (or SWD if you wish) bomb, AI on platform above, Shai drop, Nair/Fair/Dair, Dsmash.
Even though I pretty much quit smash, I can't resist practicing tech skill. Now when I don't care about winning tournaments or not, I'm more motivated getting more technical instead. If I would come back one day, I'd be the most technical Samus since Phanna ;)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Not realistic to practice against a shield that does not diminish, you need to hit much closer to inner part of shield to get 2 out and the angle for the wavedash changes as well so you dont get naired, baired, or grabed OoS.
I'm aware. I was doing double bombs for full/light shields and single bombs for small shields. I'm also aware that any character can just buffer roll to escape the 'bomb pressure' I'm putting out, but this is going to be in response to a few tactics I've been going up against (For example, when spacies expect an UpB out of shield and hold shield in anticipation. I can get some free shield damage or a wave land escape).

Also:
Bomb, waveland behind them, extender grab is going to be added to the jank arsenal too.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
No discussion on how Plup just elevated Samus to the next level this Evo? He beat Leffen clean with what is still considered a mid- tier.

Litt

Samus
No discussion on how Plup just elevated Samus to the next level this Evo? He beat Leffen clean with what is still considered a mid- tier.
No discussion because the same result happened last time they played, Hugs beat leffen too, a lot of people including leffen just claim its a mental block in the MU. There is also a reason Plup does not play samus against Mang0 and that is because he would get wrecked (no offense plup, just my opinion here but you certainly got his number with shiek)

Smash Journeyman
Plup didn't even play super well against Leffen yesterday :/ he was flubbing a lot, but in the end he got his punishes (some poor teching decisions by Leffen helped) and Leffen didn't (missed waveshine upsmash???), so he won.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Samus was hardly elevated. If Plup took a game off of a non space animal that would be a different story. Samus/Fox MU is pretty even and it helps when the Fox doesn't understand it.

(Still hype though holy **** Plup you da bes)

smashboards does kinda suck i think. mods are a bit too picky at times, or not enough at others, but w/e. go look back at any of DA LEGENDARY WES' posts, they're loaded with s**t - not that i agree with them, but the atmosphere was sure different, and that makes sense at the time, but idk i wonder what these boards are for anymore. i've hated the lack of decisive representativeness of ideas the most though, and for awhile. sure, the MBR released tier lists, but this place never really graduated when brawl came out, it was full of like... idk, terrible arguments and well, chaos. i didn't see one good argument during that time, even though i didn't speak up myself.. and the boards' complacency and like childlike-clinging to nintendo is basically the reason behind the brawl-melee 'division'. I've said it before but the night we bought brawl we looked at each other and asked 'well, do we take it back?' I don't even get anything out of the boards anymore, last thing I got was the aSWD information but before that it's been years before I consulted here for anything.

Litt

Samus
smashboards does kinda suck i think. mods are a bit too picky at times, or not enough at others, but w/e. go look back at any of DA LEGENDARY WES' posts, they're loaded with s**t - not that i agree with them, but the atmosphere was sure different, and that makes sense at the time, but idk i wonder what these boards are for anymore. i've hated the lack of decisive representativeness of ideas the most though, and for awhile. sure, the MBR released tier lists, but this place never really graduated when brawl came out, it was full of like... idk, terrible arguments and well, chaos. i didn't see one good argument during that time, even though i didn't speak up myself.. and the boards' complacency and like childlike-clinging to nintendo is basically the reason behind the brawl-melee 'division'. I've said it before but the night we bought brawl we looked at each other and asked 'well, do we take it back?' I don't even get anything out of the boards anymore, last thing I got was the aSWD information but before that it's been years before I consulted here for anything.
To be fair I try to load my post with s**t :/ lol jk to be fair though melee boards are no where near as bad as PM, I gave that **** up as a lost cause a whileeeee ago

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Actually, to be honest, the PM boards share intelligence and discuss useful topics way more than the majority of the Melee boards do. That's probably because it's a much newer and constantly developing game, so there's always a ton of new tech and MU info to go around. Meanwhile, not only is Melee quite mature, but many of the times Melee players need help, they go to Facebook or Skype before coming here. Facebook groups and Skype chats are quickly replacing forum discussions, and it's easy to see why. Responses are more immediate and more direct, and it just feels more like a normal conversation.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Heads up:
I'm making a push to change my name. Corigames is old, I don't use it for any other game/community, and it causes confusion when people watch my stream for smash. I go by Applesmaush for everything else, and that's what I'll be entering as from now on.

I'm not paying money to change my name here. Not worth. So, yeah... I might change my icon though :/ hm...

Litt

Samus
Actually, to be honest, the PM boards share intelligence and discuss useful topics way more than the majority of the Melee boards do. That's probably because it's a much newer and constantly developing game, so there's always a ton of new tech and MU info to go around. Meanwhile, not only is Melee quite mature, but many of the times Melee players need help, they go to Facebook or Skype before coming here. Facebook groups and Skype chats are quickly replacing forum discussions, and it's easy to see why. Responses are more immediate and more direct, and it just feels more like a normal conversation.
Also people are much less likely to be a **** over facebook or skype ;p but to be fair top players will rarely go on skype calls or facebook discussions. Personally the stupidity of the masses has made me lose faith in posting for the most part and since I joined smash boards my desire to post has gone from two rabbits banging to begrudgingly responding when something pisses me off enough

Icyo

Smash Ace
In my opinion, I think boards ARE better suited for discussion. The problem is that people don't create threads for common discussion topics. Moderators don't have the correct conception of what a "moderator" is. They just lock threads and boot out people instead of guiding discussion. Skype is nice for immediate feedback, but it's nicer to have an archived and organized discussion. Instead of whining about smahboards, let's just fix our problems. I'm super interested in making the boards an amazing place for discussion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom