• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Experimental techniques by Leggo

Leggo

Smash Cadet
hey guys, i was messing around today and found some things that kind of intrigued me, still very experimental tho. Figure i'd share them tho

My first discovery was a way to run at an opponent push him off the edge with a Up-B but then steal the ledge and finish with a footstool or whatever you like really, now i couldnt get it to work with every character and i'm still not too sure on every char it works with. But it seems like it could be a useful technique with a bit of practice. heres the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDMKejUV1Y

now my 2nd discovery is really only good if you catch the person off guard, but i've been using it at times and it works well. the idea is when your on the edge to jump, cancel the jump with an up B, come down with a neutral air,...now if your timing is right, the blades will only hit twice or 4 times, the idea is to get that even number, and this will send the person perfectly over you which you can connect with a smash. I dunno, might be a little too much but like i said, it seems to work for me. again just trying to be experimental. heres the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpN-l4ZC1oY

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I like how you're applying things such as Wing Shoving and Wing Canceling to your game. However I'm not sure how applicable these two strategies are to be honest. If you can get video of you doing this in a match that'd be awesome.

Leggo

Smash Cadet
yeah, i really am just trying to figure something out, i wanted to see what people had to say. These techniques only seem useful if you catch your opponent offguard, not so much the edge steal. the other edge combo is pretty risky I think, cause if you get hit while trying it, you have no recovery. but i'm thinking maybe someone can do something with it. But i do see some potential with the edge steal

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
You're second idea is safer then you think. You perform the WoI so close to the ground that you should automatically Wing Renewal, getting all of your recovery options back in-case you are sent flying off the stage.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
i used to use the 2nd idea except i wing cancelled into the mirror shield instead of the n-air since it lags so much =X. so far pit's edge camping game is a lot more effective than edge jump -> up+b... for me atleast.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
hmm something wierd i noticed is right when somebody tried to get up off the edge i dashed at them and did the dash a and for some reason it hit them and sent them flying upward, i thought you had invincibility frames while you were getting up from the edge though....
another edge thing ive been doing that seems to work is when somebody is going to get up from teh ledge you can jump and do a d air, which will catch them if they jumped but if they didnt it allows you a quick shot at a bair if they rolled or a neutral air if they stood still or attacked..... but then again im only playing computers so, yea

that second idea is interesting but i really like the first, its a gorgeous wing shove>edgeguard>fs

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
That's what I try to do, but you have to know what they will do from the edge. Dropping off the edge into a mid-air jumped Fair or even Bair can out reach and out prioritize at times. You'd need to predict what they were going to do and prediction isn't something I rely on. At least not in circumstances where the payoff is rather low.

kupo15

Smash Hero
These are some good ideas Leggo. I actually think the first one could be quite useful.
Alt. ending: Run forward, perform a perfect WoI which does and instant Wing renewal, footstool while in the WoI. The ledge hogging is a good idea as well.
I'm going to experiment with these.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
hmm yea as opposed to dashing i think i will just sit back and curve some arrows into them, it annoys them more and keeps me perfectly safe or do a wing renewal and go after them with aerials if they have decent damage or are an easily gimpable char.

something i noticed to work well against characters who will try to meet you in the air as you make your way back down to the platform is to mirror shield as you are making your way to the ledge and they try to aerial you, it disorients them and may open up an easy f air, i dunno it seems to work pretty well against metaknights because his forward air is a multiple hit attack so if you turn him around on the first hit you have two more hits to try to hit him with a f air with

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Best thing ive ever seen the person i im going to do that to is gonna be so pissed... thx dude and exactly how do u footstool outta WoI? how would you cancel it to do a Fs jump faster than it takes for a person to recover?

kupo15

Smash Hero
To answer your first part, just do it how you normally would. Be at the right spot and press jump.
Sorry but I don't understand your second part. what is the it and can you clarify it a bit more?

kown

Smash Lord
I like your enthusiasm for new and innovative ideas congrats on that. The first idea is only working because he doesn't move a single inch throughout the process. If you did pull this off in a real game, share it.

Leggo

Smash Cadet
well, i havent been able to do this one in a real game yet, BUT, i did find a tactic i find even more useful,

it seems to only work really effective on skinny platform maps. my buddy was waiting at the edge and i was holding onto the edge...i let go, snuggled up close to the ledge, did a WoI, and grabbed the ledge again really quick, this pushed him off the ledge, and I got it back quick so he had nothing to grab and i footstooled him quickly...very easy to footstool like that too!(managed to do this on a CPU everytime as well)...

also he was Ike and he was using his charge eruption move along the edge, and I used this again, which sends him off and as an Ike player its hard to recovery cause of the lag time you have while falling doing that move....

i reccomend trying these if someone is really close to the edge, or has a character that is good at edge guarding while you got the ledge, just let go, push em off with a WoI, steal edge....worked wonders for me today, again tho...only fully effective on skinny platform maps, ..you can push him off on FD but cant manage to steal the ledge

Top Bottom