• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Expecting another character? TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!" (Thread Repurposed as a Waluigi Social)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is Waluigi's Valentine's Day card, officially made by Nintendo.
View attachment 194179
Have you seen anything more beautiful?
If I made a Waluigi Valentines card it would go like this.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Everyone is cheating
Except me and you

Edit: I just realized I messed up the grammar on this one, but I am going to own that.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I really liked this moveset! It fit very well and the tennis gimmick is great. One question though, did you consider the crotch chop as a possible taunt or victory pose?
Ha ha, that’s been my most asked question on the video! Do you think it’d be possible to do that and retain an E rating?

EDIT: I guess strikers did, but I’d still be concerned about people spamming it lol

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ha ha, that’s been my most asked question on the video! Do you think it’d be possible to do that and retain an E rating?

EDIT: I guess strikers did, but I’d still be concerned about people spamming it lol
Both Mario Strikers Charged and Smash Ultimate are E 10+, so I think it could work.

Edit: And if there is a spam worry, just make it a victory animation. It did only happen when he scored a goal.

Edit 2: They also got rid of online taunting, so it being a taunt would not be as bad as it could have been before.

Last edited:

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
It's so nice to see this place thriving again after such a long time. It's great to see people talk about Waluigi without mentioning what happened all the way back in June.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Although I've never been a serious supporter for Waluigi in Smash, I do like his character and I wouldn't mind him being a playable fighter somewhere in the future. I think a good way to make that happen is to request that Waluigi appear in a Wario game, whether it's a Warioland title (personal preference) or a WarioWare title.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I apologize if I came off as too aggressive.

I don't really see Waluigi being playable as a bad thing. I just think there's a big barrier to his inclusion: spinoff characters being excluded, and I can definitely see why.

It's because Smash has so much things to focus on that focusing purely on main series content is for the best. Could you imagine Linkle or Lana over, say, Skull Kid or Impa? Rowan or Shareena over Hector or Alm? Main series characters are just inherently more important to their series over spinoff characters.

I said over in the Geno thread that I put Waluigi above Geno in terms of being a staple spinoff character, but I also said, if you recall, that I think Waluigi should also be barred for being a spinoff character. I put Geno below Waluigi because Geno is also a one-shot and not a franchise-wide main character at the same time.
The way I see it, Daisy is a spin-off character and so is Waluigi. In my eyes, it doesn't matter if Daisy had one main-series appearance. 1. Super Mario Land is arguably one of the most forgettable Mario games of all time and 2. Daisy has built herself a spin-off reputation for the last 19 years. I don't think Sakurai put Daisy in over Waluigi just because she was in one "main" game, that notion sounds a bit ridiculous to me. While I respect how you feel, I can't help but disagree with the way you prioritize Mario characters. Like others have mentioned, I believe Daisy got in because she would function perfectly as Peach's echo. Sakurai probably wasn't aware about how many people truly wanted Waluigi in if Reggie had to say "Mr. Sakurai will be aware of the groundswell of support for Waluigi". And like Reggie said, it's Sakurai's choice whether or not Waluigi gets in, and so far he chose not to upgrade Waluigi's status. If Waluigi isn't upgraded in Ultimate, I believe he has a much higher chance in the next Smash game as opposed to Ultimate.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Thank you Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom for opening up this thread again. It's great to see more activity here among us fellow WAArriors.

Being a part of the Dixie thread, we've discussed how she is among the few Nintendo All-Stars that haven't got the nod yet. Do you think Waluigi should be considered to be a Nintendo All-Star? In my mind, absolutely he should be considered a Nintendo All-Star. Sure he hasn't been in a mainline title of the Mario or Wario Land/World series (he needs to be in those games ASAP), but he has been in well over 50 games since the dawn of the millennium and that is more that a lot of games than a good portion of the characters in the roster. His popularity has risen a lot in the last 5-10 years. Pretty much Waluigi and Toad are the only Mario characters left to be in Smash though ideally I like to see Waluigi under Wario.

Arlo here talks about the fanmade Smash rules and he discusses the possibility of an in-game promotion. Arlo is predicting Waluigi to be among the DLC of Wave 1. Nice to see Grover's brother a Youtuber like him to be on our side and question the perceived rule.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, thanks to all of the hubbub for Waluigi, I could see him even being a bonus character in the Fighter's Pass, like a sixth and final surprise. He wouldn't come with music or a stage, but he'd make the fans really darn happy.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Thank you Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom for opening up this thread again. It's great to see more activity here among us fellow WAArriors.

Being a part of the Dixie thread, we've discussed how she is among the few Nintendo All-Stars that haven't got the nod yet. Do you think Waluigi should be considered to be a Nintendo All-Star? In my mind, absolutely he should be considered a Nintendo All-Star. Sure he hasn't been in a mainline title of the Mario or Wario Land/World series (he needs to be in those games ASAP), but he has been in well over 50 games since the dawn of the millennium and that is more that a lot of games than a good portion of the characters in the roster. His popularity has risen a lot in the last 5-10 years. Pretty much Waluigi and Toad are the only Mario characters left to be in Smash though ideally I like to see Waluigi under Wario.

Arlo here talks about the fanmade Smash rules and he discusses the possibility of an in-game promotion. Arlo is predicting Waluigi to be among the DLC of Wave 1. Nice to see a Youtuber like him to be on our side and question the perceived rule.
He’s absolutely a Nintendo All-Star. Despite only appearing in spin-offs, Waluigi is probably more recognizable to the average Joe than 90% of the Smash roster.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
To me, it's unbelievable people argue that Daisy is this paragon of legitimacy for her ONE "appearance" in Super Mario Land. It's an almost neurotic technicality that totally and utterly ignores common sense. After that game, she appears in the exact same types of games as Waluigi for over a decade with no main title appearance. Yet somehow she's just incomparably greater in Mario for that one time she appeared for less than 3 minutes a decade ago. Such importance, much wow.

Daisy and Waluigi ARE IN THE SAME BOAT. SUPER MARIO LAND DOES ESSENTIALLY ZERO FOR DAISY'S CURRENT "STATUS" OR LACK THEREOF IN THE MAIN MARIO TITLES. GRASP THIS, AND STOP THIS ARGUMENT. Daisy is a spinoff character just like Waluigi, period. Now she's in Smash. Therefore, Waluigi is a viable candidate for Smash by logical necessity. No, your personal distaste for Waluigi does not matter.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Now that this thread is finally up I can voice my support! Since... I feel like I wasn't able to before the thread was shut down, or at least I remember I didn't.

Nonetheless to the spin-off question I ask: Why not? Super Smash Bros itself is the ultimate spin-off series so why not add the character who originates from spin-offs? Though while I don't think people want to consider the spirit series names as what a character is, some characters like King Boo who appears in mainline Mario games are considered spin-offs since if you look at his series he's considered Luigi's Mansion series since that's what he debuted in. We have spirits that originate from the Mario Tennis series or at least Mario Tennis Aces so one would think Waluigi would have his home series as that right? Well... he actually has the same series title as the rest of the mainline Mario characters, being Super Mario. So I think that enough says a lot.

Anyways, I personally have my own moveset I made for Waluigi that has him using things from all over the Mario spin-off titles, I'll put it in a spoiler here for those interested:
Waluigi Super Smash Bros. Concept

Standard: A stomp combo that ends with a powerful kick, a reference to his assist trophy and kick he dealt to Bowser in Mario Party 3.

Up-tilt: Waluigi would take out a golf club and swing it over his head, referencing the Mario Golf series.

Side-tilt: Waluigi would kick his opponent.

Down-tilt: Waluigi would do a slide kick, referencing the slide kick from the Mario strikers games.

Neutral air: Waluigi would take out a golf club and spin it around him, referencing the Mario Golf series.

Up air: Waluigi would take out a Super Horn and blasting its noise upwards at his opponent's, this referencing the Mario Kart series.

Side air: Waluigi would take out a Nipper Plant in a pot and letting it chomp at his opponents, wether they be behind or in front of him, referencing his affinity towards Piranha Plants and their various species.

Down air: Waluigi would do a ground pound, referencing his ability to do that in the Mario Party series.

Dash attack: Waluigi would swim through the air at his opponents, referencing to when he dies this in the Mario Tennis series and Mario 3-on-3 hoops game.

Standard special: Waluigi would take out a tennis ball and his tennis racket whack the ball at his opponents, he would also have a small chance to swing a bob-omb at them, this chance being between Peach's chances of pulling one out in her down-b and the chances Luigi gets to misfire, this referencing the Mario Tennis series and Waluigi's affinity towards bob-ombs.

Up special: A dice block from Mario Party would appear above Waluigi and he would then hit the block, giving him x numbers of jumps on a scale of 1-10, he would automatically start jumping after the block is hit and every time he jumped he would lose an extra jump, the player can move left and right while he is jumping and do an attack to cancel his recovery, this referencing the Mario Party series and the dice block's mechanic of moving the players across the board.

Side special: Waluigi would take out a soccer ball from the Mario Strikers series and kick it at his opponents, the longer the kick is charged though the stronger and farther it will be and go, this referencing the Mario Strikers series.

Down special: Waluigi would take out his baseball bat and either whack opponents with it or reflect projectiles, this referencing the Mario Baseball series.

Up Smash: Waluigi would summon a tornado around him and send his opponents upwards, referencing his ability of some wind-manipulation.

Side Smash: Waluigi would take out his tennis racket and whack his opponent with it, this referencing the Mario Tennis series.

Down smash: Waluigi would use his powers over water to strike a pose as two geysers came up on his sides.

Grab: Waluigi would take out his whip he uses in Mario Strikers to grab his opponents, this also being a tether grab.

Pummel: Waluigi would knee his opponents as he grabbed them, showing off his unfair and cruel nature.

Up throw: Waluigi would toss his opponents into the air with a geyser of water, referencing his slight manipulation over water.

Side throw: Waluigi would throw his opponents into the air and spike them like a volleyball, referencing Mario Sports Mix which had Volleyball as a playable sport.

Down throw: Waluigi would dribble his opponents and dunk them downwards, referencing Mario 3-on-3 Hoops and Mario Sports Mix where Basketball was a playable sport.

Floor attack: Waluigi would do a break dance move before getting up, referencing Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix.

Edge attack: Waluigi would pull himself and slide himself back onto the stage.

Final Smash: Waluigi would summon the Star Rod into his hands and fire energy blasts at his opponents, referencing Mario Party 8's final boss where you use the Star Rod to beat Bowser, while also potentially referencing Paper Mario (even though he doesn't appear in Paper Mario).

Side-step: Waluigi would moon walk out of the way, referencing his hobby of dancing and Mario Tennis Aces

Back-step: Waluigi would do the animation from when characters are surprised in Mario Party, referencing the Mario Party series.

Up taunt: Waluigi would put a rose in his mouth and do various poses, referencing the fact he often puts roses in his mouth while he shows off.

Side taunt Waluigi would put his hands in front of his mouth and shout an insult like "loser!", referring to his mean personality.

Down taunt: Waluigi would would cross his arms and laugh his iconic "WAH!"

Victory pose 1: Waluigi would do one of his various poses when he wins a mini-game throughout the Mario Party series.

Victory pose 2: Waluigi would do his infamous pelvic thrusts, referencing to when he does this in Mario Strikers Charged.

Victory Pose 3: Waluigi would start doing a dance from Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix, referencing Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix.

Losing Pose: Waluigi would be refusing to clap for the winner and would be facing the other direction with his hand on his cap and his face lowered.

Stage: Waluigi Pinball, this would be a traveling stage where the battle would take place on multiple locations on the track known as Waluigi Pinball from Mario Kart DS.

Costumes:

1. His default purple costume.
  2. One based off of Luigi.
  3. One based off of Wario.
  4. One based off of Mario.
  5. Inverted colors of his default costume.
  6. His Mario Strikers Outfit.
  7. His outfit from Mario Strikers Charged.
  8. His outfit from Mario Tennis Aces

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much Waluigi and Toad are the only Mario characters left to be in Smash though ideally I like to see Waluigi under Wario.

In my mind, absolutely he should be considered a Nintendo All-Star. Sure he hasn't been in a mainline title of the Mario or Wario Land/World series (he needs to be in those games ASAP), but he has been in well over 50 games since the dawn of the millennium and that is more that a lot of games than a good portion of the characters in the roster. His popularity has risen a lot in the last 5-10 years.
For the general franchise, if not counting other DK/Wario characters or Toadette as echo, we don't have Birdo as well.

And the main thing is that Smash bros is not supposed to insert the whole main cast from same franchise. I don't say their chance is zero, but if NInteno don't add more Mario fighter in Smash just for that reason, we fans can hardly blame them. There is a logic hole that Mario franchise is of course one of the dominant in Nintendo. If we purely count the game amount then all Mario universe characters can just overkill those characters from independent titles.

In commercial view, while pleasing general Mario fanbase is nice, there's not too much marginal profit increase in Smash bros and Mario gaems sales since the current Mario fighters probably have covered that up.

At least, I think Waluigi's best chance for Smash, if not this time but in the sixth title, would be
1) As you say Waluigi got some proper treatment in Mario/Wario big titles.
2) The base roster is rebooted and they get to decide the Mario fighters again.

Nonetheless to the spin-off question I ask: Why not? Super Smash Bros itself is the ultimate spin-off series so why not add the character who originates from spin-offs? We have spirits that originate from the Mario Tennis series or at least Mario Tennis Aces so one would think Waluigi would have his home series as that right? Well... he actually has the same series title as the rest of the mainline Mario characters, being Super Mario. So I think that enough says a lot.
Because the issue has been about whether Waluigi's trait was supposed to be exclusive to spinoffs, or he could had been in a main title like others said. Throughout this franchise we've seen some side characters with obvious "spinoff traits" (like Gene from Mario Golf, MCBallyhoo from Mario Party), so just in my view I don't feel like Waluigi belong to that group. It kind feels like denying Waluigi's potential just to make him into Smash is a contradictory move.

And Smash bros despite it also indicates elements from Mario spinoffs, spinoffs are still part of the general Mario franchises. In Smash bros' view, picking indepdendent sport series would be a better diversity to represent. Counting Mario franchise' own diversity is not really relevant with Smash bros' own
purpose. After all we won't see a "Mario Tennis" as Waluigi's fighter icon if he really makes it. He would just be a Mario series fighter.

Secondly it's just a comparative reason, most Mario characters get in both spinoffs and main titles, so in given slots Waluigi would lose to them just due to the quantity of game amount, even arguably plant piranha is a commonly seen enemy in both platformers and spinoffs despite it isn't playable,

To me, it's unbelievable people argue that Daisy is this paragon of legitimacy for her ONE "appearance" in Super Mario Land. It's an almost neurotic technicality that totally and utterly ignores common sense. After that game, she appears in the exact same types of games as Waluigi for over a decade with no main title appearance. Yet somehow she's just incomparably greater in Mario for that one time she appeared for less than 3 minutes a decade ago. Such importance, much wow.

Daisy and Waluigi ARE IN THE SAME BOAT. SUPER MARIO LAND DOES ESSENTIALLY ZERO FOR DAISY'S CURRENT "STATUS" OR LACK THEREOF IN THE MAIN MARIO TITLES. GRASP THIS, AND STOP THIS ARGUMENT. Daisy is a spinoff character just like Waluigi, period..
Just in Smash It doesn't matter to much as Daisy enteres Smash halfy due to echo trait. But since SuperMarioRun is canon, Daisy is technically a mainstream ally in NIntendo's definition.

Well as a fan I think both should be in the next Mario main title (for Waluigi of course as debut). Yet, if you're indicating that Daisy and Peach are in Smash so Waluigi should be, that's another story.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here how I view the current representing Mario cast in Smash:

:ultmario:: Represents his franchise as the protagonist.

:ultluigi:: Represents his franchise as the co-protagonist.

:ultpeach:: Represents her franchise as the lead female and damsel in distress.

:ultbowser:: Represents his franchise as the main antagonist.

:ultdoc:: Represents his franchise as the face of the puzzle games.

:ultrosalina:: Represents her franchise as the face of the Mario Galaxy games.

:ultbowserjr:: Represents his franchise as the semi-boss/co-antagonist.

:ultdaisy:: Represents her franchise as a face for the spin off games.

:ultpiranha:: Represents his franchise as the face of the average enemies.

If Waluigi got in, he would be representing the Mario spin offs as a whole. His entire moveset could be stuff characters use in the spin offs such as a tennis racquet, golf club, baseball bat, and a kart.

D

Deleted member

I think Waluigi's ideal moveset should not be what represents the games he's in, but represents him himself.
And with that, the sky's the limit considering he's got the most bizarre and unpredictable set of skills.

But if he were to put emphasis on one spin-off, make him primarily Tennis based. For obvious reasons.

TheBeastHimself

Waluigi wasn't in Super Mario 64 DS, he isn't in any mainline Mario games nor Wario games. Honestly, I've been long waiting for this injustice to be corrected. If fans get garner enough support to revive King K. Rool, then we can get Waluigi into Smash.

However, there's one thing we all have to consider: Sakurai's personal response to the threats and harassment he received. That's such an important detail that's often overlooked now-a-days. How does that affect Waluigi's chances?

TheBeastHimself

Not the first time I read this. But what's the actual source?
Also, what the hell is canon and what isn't. I want someone to give me a source of where Nintendo ever divided Mario's franchise into canon and non-canon. Because if people are going to base their arguments on whether or not something is canon, they need to back it up, otherwise it's flimsy evidence.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Not the first time I read this. But what's the actual source?
I remember it's mentioned in the Japanese website refering to the Super Mario history that includes the game as apart.

But beside that, I think this is more about the message than amount of appearances of main games. Daisy is a pratical clone of Peach is most ways, also her roles as well. It would confirm her possibility to be in more main games, at least fans may request it next time Same for Toadette, who's pretty much Toad's alternative.

I believe that non-canon does'nt exist, too. Just more like some games or references are rarely mentioned.

Here how I view the current representing Mario cast in Smash:

If Waluigi got in, he would be representing the Mario spin offs as a whole. His entire moveset could be stuff characters use in the spin offs such as a tennis racquet, golf club, baseball bat, and a kart.
Well, I feel unlikely Nintendo would officially acknowledge this theory, like said the fighters are only classified by general series icon, no spin-off specifically mentioned. If Waluigi is chosen as a Smash fighter at this point, I would just consider his reason same as other Pokemons: high market request aka popularity, not that Nintendo think they must pick a spin-off representive.

Aside from making into Smash, do Nintendo think Waluigi means alot to spinoffs? While the titles of sport games are not literally named after him (still "Mario"). the games are used to include a roster most popular characters, scarcely a recurring character is focused (exceptions: Waluigi in DDR or Wizpig in Diddy Racing). As for his exclusiveness, it's more an indirect result of his long-time absence in main games than Nintendo wanted to introduce actual longterm exclusive characters at first.

Oh I actually like DDR, only if Konami can start a longterm partnership to really make it a Waluigi-centered series.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

You know, even before Waluigi became a meme, he was always one of my favorite Mario characters. I just thought it was cool seeing an anti-Mario and anti-Luigi in games. If he ever got announced for Smash, I would probably scream, that'd be so hype for me considering he's one of my childhood favorites. All memes aside, I really want Waluigi in Smash.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
y eyes, it doesn't matter if Daisy had one main-series appearance. 1. Super Mario Land is arguably one of the most forgettable Mario games of all time and 2. Daisy has built herself a spin-off reputation for the last 19 years. I don't think Sakurai put Daisy in over Waluigi just because she was in one "main" game, that notion sounds a bit ridiculous to me. While I respect how you feel, I can't help but disagree with the way you prioritize Mario characters. Like others have mentioned, I believe Daisy got in because she would function perfectly as Peach's echo. Sakurai probably wasn't aware about how many people truly wanted Waluigi in if Reggie had to say "Mr. Sakurai will be aware of the groundswell of support for Waluigi". And like Reggie said, it's Saku
I've had this theory about why Waluigi isn't in Smash and that's Sakurai misinterpreting the support for Waluigi as silly memes like Reckless Safety Notice Man, Home Depot, Shrek, e.t.c. - hence all those jokes he made during the lead up to Smash 3DS' release. it's a very easy mistake to make honestly - especially considering Waluigi isn't as popular in Japan as he is in English speaking territories.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know, even before Waluigi became a meme, he was always one of my favorite Mario characters. I just thought it was cool seeing an anti-Mario and anti-Luigi in games. If he ever got announced for Smash, I would probably scream, that'd be so hype for me considering he's one of my childhood favorites. All memes aside, I really want Waluigi in Smash.
Same. He always came off as a very endearing character. He's Wario's partner, someone who wants to prove his a better than Luigi, and a poor sport who we can't help but to fall in love with.

He is the heart of Mario spinoff games and part of what makes them good. Let's be honest, would anyone buy Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix if he was never the starring villain before being Dorf'd by Bowser?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Same. He always came off as a very endearing character. He's Wario's partner, someone who wants to prove his a better than Luigi, and a poor sport who we can't help but to fall in love with.

He is the heart of Mario spinoff games and part of what makes them good. Let's be honest, would anyone buy Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix if he was never the starring villain before being Dorf'd by Bowser?
I feel like Waluigi and Daisy are the co-underdogs of the spinoffs. Daisy at least has main series presence, but she developed most of her character in the spinoffs.

Wario is almost there, but only because I feel like Mario spinoff Wario, Wario Land Wario, and WarioWare Wario feel like three different characters to me.

TheBeastHimself

I feel like Waluigi and Daisy are the co-underdogs of the spinoffs. Daisy at least has main series presence, but she developed most of her character in the spinoffs.

Wario is almost there, but only because I feel like Mario spinoff Wario, Wario Land Wario, and WarioWare Wario feel like three different characters to me.
I don't count Daisy in Super Mario Land, to me it's more of a cameo only because she literally is on screen for 2 seconds and says "Thank you Mario"

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Apparently someone datamined 16 dummy slots in World of Light, one of which is being used by Plant

That means we could potentially get an Assist/Spirit Promotion pack. Then, it'll truly be Waluigi Time.

D

Deleted member

Bear in mind we had dummy slots for 30 characters for the CSS before Plant.
I wouldn't put too much stock in this just yet.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bear in mind we had dummy slots for 30 characters for the CSS before Plant.
I wouldn't put too much stock in this just yet.
Those are two different things though. One is for characters and the newer one is for WoL specifically. So Plant, having two distinct models, takes up 2 'character spots' (leaving 28), but as a single selectable character only takes up one 'World of Light spot' (leaving 14).

I'm not saying all of this means anything or if it's even true, but if it's a lie I just want the lie to be reported correctly.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Waluigi is a magnificent man, him not getting in Smash or any mainline Mario game is an injustice that needs to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom