• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Expanding The Melee Scene: Community Outreach. Christmas/New Years - IDEAS??

Winnar

Smash Lord
"Those who say it cannot be done shouldn’t interrupt the people doing it." - Ancient Chinese Proverb

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
POF I hate you because you're trying to discourage us from doing something good.
If it was realistic, i'd support it.

You cant make a thread complaining about how the scene is lacking and not doing anything about it. If you want something done, you've got to make it happen. If I were you guys I'd go into each region and make a thread posting weeklies or bi weekly smashfests or small tournaments or asking people within those regions to do such.

The leader of such an idea should not make a thread saying "hey guys, lets do this." Go and do it. If you're motivated enough to make a thread posting your comments you should be more than willing to organize and formulate the idea.

I dont hate good ideas/causes. I think Melee is fun just as much as the next poster. This just looks like the same old "Melee is not dead" thread we've read a thousand times. Honestly, some of you need to snap out of it and think. Melee will not be revived just like SFT2, Halo II, Halo III, SF 3rd strike, Smash 64, and any game ever made that is outdated. Even if Brawl had not come out....Melee would have died anyway. Think about it....it makes sense.

Aside from the major tournaments (Genesis, Pound, Apex etc) each and every melee tournament particular to its specific region is the same 15-20 entrants seen all the time. (Well, for New England...thats for sure.) This is nice and works well but smashers are growing up and most of us are in our mid to late 20's now.

People are moving on and for good reason. Theres more to play now than there was in 2000.

Blaz Blue Continum Shift
Tekken Vs SF
SF VS Tekken
SF Third Strike Online (coming next year)
Tekken 6
MVC3
SF HDR
SSF IV
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Brawl

Winnar

Smash Lord
I dunno if you were talking to me, but I am going to go out and do something about it. I don't have any plans to make MS smash some big highly respected smash center, I just want to have more people to play melee with.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
pof it's like you ignore all the things i actually post and only concentrate on 1 or 2 things you actually read.
my other post was entirely relevant to the post at hand and yours. I didn't try to "act mature" in the slightest or act like i was superior to you in any way. If anything, you live a much more "grown up" life than i do and i will argue that you're more mature than i am in certain aspects. I just responded to your points.
plus we've done this dance at least 20 times already - just because the smashers you come into contact with (once again because you didn't travel very far out of your location) don't tip or whatever doesn't mean they all do.

Aside from the major tournaments (Genesis, Pound, Apex etc) each and every melee tournament particular to its specific region is the same 15-20 entrants seen all the time. (Well, for New England...thats for sure.) This is nice and works well but smashers are growing up and most of us are in our mid to late 20's now.
you affirm this by saying "the ones in new england that's for sure" but darc and dazwa have attended mass madnesses where the melee tournament entrants were composed of almost entirely new people.

you know what, i'm going to make some sweeping generalizations also.

Asians as a whole wear glasses because every asian i know wears glasses. i haven't left my southern state of georgia where the concentration of asians isn't terribly varied but as long as i say it's correct it's correct.

it's like you didn't even look at the top of my original post where i mentioned that i already started doing this and where i listed my plans to travel this past weekend, which i/we did, and the potential future locations that i was planning on traveling to listed at the bottom.

edit: upon looking it seems during the power outage i lost the part where i mentioned i drove 3 hours to alabama already for a small smashfest that only came together because we were going there, but i still list my travel plans for this past weekend and i list two locations that are at least 3-5 hours away.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
yeah but this time sleepyk is behind it

and sleepyks gonna tear that **** UP
This is exactly the problem. It shouldn't MATTER who is doing it as long as it gets done. Rather than Sleepy going to a few smashfests and whatnot, we had an actual way set up to get Melee more notoriety and getting it out into the faces of other communities, giving a better possibility to gain more players. Instead, most of the Melee community spit in our faces because we weren't SleepyK or whatever, which is ridiculous. I don't want to try and discourage the idea, but the Melee community is too shut-in to promote a lot of growth, and you do have to look at things like that realistically. To accent this point even further, we have a GIANT national tournament in ATL every year called Final Round. We can get SF and Tekken players from all over the nation and the world, but GA's Smash communities won't even show up in decent enough numbers to justify holding the tournament. How are people supposed to take you seriously when stuff like that happens frequently? A major issue in GA is that the Smash community supports the wrong people, as well, like Min and WABA, but we won't get into that right now. To do this well, it takes mingling with other communities and their TOs to organize events to get the ball rolling again, especially on older games like Melee. If they won't cooperate, then there's nothing you can do about it. But when they are willing to work with you, and you spit in their faces, then it's whatever, and the community can go rot somewhere.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I dunno about all that stuff, I'm just going to focus on getting Starkville's (or even just Mississippi's) player count into the double digits before I worry about taking on the world.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
These set of points make sense and are valid but won't hold strong for long. It's like making a group on Facebook saying, "dont fill up on gas today! Lets make the gas prices go down and show them we dont need gas!"

Certain areas are strong for smash...but in the same sense...its still the same group of people who have been playing this game for 3 to 4+ years.

This game does not and will not ever again offer the strong diversity you can get from current or future fighters. You can keep the scene ALIVE but you can't make it GROW AND DEVELOP. Melee is a dying game and I think people should snap out of fantasy world and realize that.

I'm not saying melee is bad and there is no point in playing it but I am saying you're wasting your time trying to bring people in.

I blame Brawl. No offense.
Uhhh...North Carolina's Melee scene has definitely gotten larger and developed, so I have no clue what fantasy world your in, and blaming Brawl? I started out playing Brawl and quit for Melee because I started talking with Dr.PeePee. There a few who play both now, and that's because Brawl introduced them to the scene, and why give up and not try to bring people into the community? I'll be ****ed if I were to say I haven't met some amazing people in this community that I can honestly say that the friendship will stay incredibly strong even after the community dies or I drop out, so saying we are wasting our time trying to bring people into what I think it a great community is a cop out. If you aren't apart of the solution, you're apart of the problem.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Sleepyk made me play melee

I secretly hate this game

I also hate all the people who play it

(secretly)

Matthew Jackson

Smash Cadet
Well....

My interest in this game was pratically dead.

Then, Frank told me SleepyK was coming this weekend. I got actually quite a bit excited. I don't idolize people but I was super looking forward to the fact that Lawrenceville people were coming to OUR town.

(I know not all of you live in Lawrenceville or even still liver ther, it's just what I've called you all for the past several years.)

So they come over, Sleepy and his three companions, and there's me, Frank, and a group of rats we're training.

However, only Frank and I end up playing them. And, after a while, just me.

The other group of friends we have a bunch of that "real life" stuff people like to chase after, so they left early and never came back. That's fine, they'll be back some other time.

Wait, I had a ton of fun, and I couldn't believe how much better I got in a one day time frame.
I couldn't beat you SleepyK (except for those three in a row matches where you suicided Marth lol) and a few times I almost got that Fox player until I just messed up. *so on and so forth*

I read through this whole topic, and while I did complain about having to drive somewhere to go to tournaments, I wouldn't really mind, if I just get this stereo fixed in my car. And, grab some money since I'm Super Unemployed 64.

Wait I mean, I kind of agree with GA Peach and Ibuki's view points, BUT I so want to do, at the very least, one more year and half of productive competitive Smash.

Basically, I know I will quit this game eventually but not without going out with a Sheik-maining BANG!

tl;dr - Thanks.

Matthew Jackson

Smash Cadet
Oh this thread is for the thing coming up?

Derp. Anyway, yeah so far my house MIGHT work. I will let you know Sleepy when it turns out it won't work.

Rayku

Smash Lord
I want to meet and play Matthew Jackson because my cousin's name is Matthew Jackson

Matthew Jackson

Smash Cadet
@Rayku - I AM your cousin

@Winnar - I'm the little cousin that could

@BBQ - I don't believe I was your neighbor, hehe. The house I'm living in now, I've lived in since I was 5, and I'm 21, now. LOL

Woooooooo~!

I can feel the love.

And, yeah that's my actual name. I've come up with tons of other names, handles, and monikers and have hated all of them equally. Plus, a great deal many of people have said that I have a very very cool name.

So, yeah.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Yeah definitely gonna have to say that Matt Jackson is pretty legit

or matthew jackson either way, you should thank your parents

Matthew Jackson

Smash Cadet
Mike, we've met before.

And, by met, I mean I saw you playing some game where a bunch of asian kids jumped around a library shooting guns and waving swords, and I asked if I could borrow the computer for a sec to utilize mapquest.

And, you were all like, "Yeah, go ahead! :D"

Rayku

Smash Lord
Matthew Jackson you are not my cousin my cousin is a redneck 15 year old

Don't get my hopes up like that

Matthew Jackson

Smash Cadet
Matthew Jackson you are not my cousin my cousin is a redneck 15 year old

Don't get my hopes up like that
I sincerely apologize.

Also, I love toasty now because he's got Prabhu Deva as his profile picture performing his Benny Lava dance!! :chuckle:

GOD!

Smash Ace
OMFG matthew johnson is my new hero.

LEt's hope your personality is as amazing as Gaming King's..

GOD!

Smash Ace
You're right, dang it... well matthew jackson can at least be my best friend and gaming king can be my hero. ty smash bros for filling my life with wonderful beautiful people.

Matthew Jackson

Smash Cadet
I don't believe I'm this Gaming King guy.

I like to give out hugs, take long walks on the beach, and play Melee.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
you were in Nashville (or are going to be) and i have not been contacted? for shame.

also

I like people like Matthew Jackson.

j00t

Smash Champion
LMK when GA peeps are going to be in Nashville or Birmingham again - I'll definitely try to meet up with you guys

Top Bottom