• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolution Tournament Feedback

Zerostance

Smash Apprentice
Hey all,

As many of you may know, Evolution has embraced SSBM and has added it to Evolution's
lineup this year. SRK (www.shoryuken.com) has always been about the fighting game community and what we can do to improve it. The reason for this post is to ask you, the smash community, for your feedback on the recent Evolution Smash tournaments and what the SRK staff can do to improve on any future events.

Please post any feedback on the pros, cons, opinions, ideas, etc.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
The only real complaint I had was there were not enough TVs dedicated to Smash. The BYOC section only had 1 Smash setup making it almost impossible for anyone to warmup, especially when the pros were hogging it.

Also, extending the match time limit per match to 8 minutes would be nice. The time limit got in the way of at least 2 important matches, and extending it to 8 minutes really only means an extra 2-3 minutes for the tournament to the finish, which is nothing in the long run.

_milktea

Smash Lord
More TVs for Smash, not even just for the tournament, for friendlies in general. Possibly a teams tournament, though it's understandable if that isn't possible since EVO's quite busy enough with all its games. An 8 minute match, it'd really eliminate most of the time controversies we had during this EVO.

Oh, and have players commentate, or someone who at least knows about the game ;).

Aside from those things, EVO was absolutely fantastic and I loved it. It was awesome how you guys put the finals on the projector and had tons of seats for everyone. <3

gbursine

Smash Cadet
there were as many casual smash setups as there were everything else....

players CAN bring their own tv's+setups, & use them @ the byoc area, or use the hotel tvs in the rooms

there was a 3s and guilty gear tournament run at the byoc area also[by non evo staff].

& with the popularity of the ssbm finals, i think there will be more educated commentators in the future

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
There was a lot of complaining that the screen that was played on in the finals had a ton of lag...

Confirmations from either M2K or PC would be good

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I wasn't really getting any lag from that screen, and I can usually feel lag just from moving my character selection cursor around.

But yeah, they said the top 8's matches were recorded! :laugh: I hope the vids are up soon.

gbursine

Smash Cadet
the vids will likely be on the next evo dvd. generally, wiz & the evo staff ask for the vids not to be put up ahead of time. but that one vids up, and i don't know if they've raised an eyebrow or not

Zerostance

Smash Apprentice
In all truth and honesty, if anyone is interested in commentating for future tournaments, just ask for the mic. ust be sure to run it by Mr.Wizard if he is in attendance and running the show. As long as the commentator doesn't go crazy or talks smack towards any of the players playing the match, I think it would be fine. Though since I'm not offically on the Evo staff, I cannot speak for what they will or will not allow.

There was a lot of tempers flaring at the commentary at the end of the Tekken tournament so that got kind of ugly. Course I must say the smash community is quiet and laidback., nothing compared to MVC2. Maybe things will change in the future. =)

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Marvel is like the Jerry Springer of the fighting game community, lol.

I laughed so hard at DP losing that $3000 mm to clockw0rk a while back.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
i wasnt able to attend evo but i do know for a fact that attendance would have been noticeably higher if there was an official teams tournament. but evo's stacked as it is with other fighters so it's understandable. it's still pretty cool that smash is part of evo circuit this season

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
i think u guys were just nervous seriously >_< i think evo knows what they're doing we all play fighters so a they know we need a tv with no lag else it throws us off completely , obviously i could be wrong but i wonder how the mvc2 and other evo tourney players felt about it:dizzy:

Zerostance

Smash Apprentice
As far as I know, there weren't any complaints about lag with the other fighting games. I do know 3rd strike lags a heckuva lot with lcd's though. If there really is lag, please be sure to let the staff know so that they can replace it with a better tv.

I didn't even know there wasn't a team tournament until I was asked to help run the tournament. I really wish there was an official team tournament, but again, due to the plethora of other tournaments, it wouldn't have been feasible time wise. I've seen my fair share of team tournaments and it's definitely another great sight to see for the audience.

I was surprised that the singles tournament had as many entrants as it did without a team tournament. If there are enough tv setups, you can always try to run an unofficial team tournament at the next Evo event.

forward

Smash Champion
M2K I didn't notice lag what are you talking about?

Evolution was a good tournanet. I like seeing smash among other fighting games, it looks much better side by side with those than with halo.

We did run a side teams tournament, but it was kind of a last minute. I think if we just planned it ahead of time, and set an exact time to run it, we could get a good turn out for it.

Top Bottom