• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolution - South: Austin, Texas (March 11, 2007)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Evolution - South
March 11, 2007

Introduction: This year, the EVO Championship Series: Powered by Yaris heads south to say "Howdy" from Texas. EVO South tournaments will be hosted in the ScreenBurn Arcade at the world-famous South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas, March 10th and 11th, 2007. Located on the first floor of the Austin Convention Center, the ScreenBurn Arcade is a hands-on playspace for attendees to experience the newest gaming-related technologies.

To kick off the 2007 season, registration for this event will be FREE, courtesy of Toyota Yaris. And it gets better: in addition to free entry, each EVO event will also offer guaranteed prizes of $1,000 per game. The top 4 finishers in each game will also earn qualifying seeds for the EVO World Finals in Las Vegas, NV.

Attending SXSW conference panels (which feature Will Wright, creator of the Sims and Spore, and many more requires) a separate registration fee, but entering the ScreenBurn Arcade and all EVO South tournaments is free and open to all comers. Tournament registration is limited so you must register in advance!

Just as in the past, prize checks at the qualifiers will be handed out to winners on the spot-no waiting!

Game format and schedule:

Due to strict time constraints, all EVO South events will be run as single-elimination, best 2 out of 3 games and have a limit of 128 people per tournament. For example: You are playing in the Capcom vs SNK 2 tournament. Your first match is called against your opponent. If you lose the first game, win the second game, and then win the third game, you advance (you won 2 out of 3), and your opponent is eliminated from the tournament. If in the next match you lose the first two games you play, you are eliminated from the tournament (you lost 2 games out of 3) and your oppoenent advances.

Day 1, March 10th - 12:00 - 5:30
Capcom vs SNK 2
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Guilty Gear XX: Slash
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

Day 2 March 11th- 12:00 - 5:30
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo
Super Smash Bros: Melee
Virtua Fighter 5

Other EVO events will be run one game at a time, but due to time constraints specific to SXSW, all games on each day will be running AT THE SAME TIME. This means if you are registered for two games and have matches at the same time on each game, you risk being disqualified if you are not present for your match. Playing in another tournament *will not count* as an excuse for not playing your match when called. We will work to avoid disqualifications where possible, but if there are no other matches to be run and you are not at your station, you will be DQd. We ask that you do not register for games you don't expect to compete in seriously, as it will just slow the event down and you will risk being disqualified from your "serious" games while playing in other events.

500 East Cesar Chavez Street
Austin TX 78704

Registration: You must register online for this event, to do so, please visit the Evolution registration page.

Prizes:
1st: $700
2nd: $200
3rd: $100

Rules:

* Game Settings: Singles VS Melee, 2/3 Games, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer, No Items
* If both players can agree on a stage, that stage will be used. If there is conflict, then the rules below come into action.
* Pool A: Final Destination, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams.
* Pool B: Mute City, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar, Poke Floats, Corneria, Jungle Japes.
* The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random from pool A. Any games after that can be from pools A or B.
* After the stage has been selected by the losing player, the winner of the previous game may change characters, but has to pick first.
* No stage may be used twice in any given set.
* Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
* Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

Further Information:
-Shoryuken: A forum for Every Other Fighting Game
-Evolution 2K7 Official Website
-Evolution: South - Information Page
-Evolution Smash Game Profile
-Further Rule Stipulation
-Prize Stucture Clarification

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It sucks that it is Single Elimination. I will be there though.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Do I even need to say that I'll be there? As the Dkrew's offical "1st liason from Austin" I will be making my prescence felt. I am sad that it's single elim, but I still encourage people to come.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
Do I even need to say that I'll be there? As the Dkrew's offical "1st liason from Austin" I will be making my prescence felt. I am sad that it's single elim, but I still encourage people to come.
when was this title given and who gave it to you ;x

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
It was given to me by Scav when I made my 1st post in the MOAST2 thread. :)

I shall never forget that moment. :estatic:

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
well since Chang is in Ausitn now, i here by remove that title

clean your desk out by 5, your check is in the mail

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Psh, even tho Chang is here I was still the 1st. I will have to discuss this with your supervisor.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I like how on the Evo2k7 page for Smash, they have a video that demonstrates "High level play from Japan and US"...and the video is of Ken vs. Masashi from JGT (Masashi gets 3-stocked).

Come on, that's the best video you can find to show off Smash's potential as a fighting game? I can think of half a dozen that would be far better (Ken vs. Isai from MOAST3, for instance)

Malote

Smash Cadet
In GameFaqs I've read that registration for the tournament is already closed, is it true?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea.

Registration is closed because it reached the 128 person cap.

I sincerly hope that it wasn't just people from other fighting games deciding to **** with Smash simply because it was free entry.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So do I..I wish I could see the names that were registered.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So what good players are coming?

Xelic and Wes are not...

Is CC coming? Smiles..Rob$..Caveman?

I really want a list of people attending this >_>.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
seriously, 128 people. i dont htink there are even that many people in texas that play smash competitively....id like to know who all is going....but i guess ill just wait til this weekend. omg it is so close!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MLG Dallas had over 150.

But I think many of the participants are people from other fighters who want to give Smash a try. Not sure though. Could be a very newby tournament.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I signed up for Tekken >_>...Lol I am going to be ***** and it will be fun :).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This starts tomorrow!!! I'm excited :).

Top Bottom