• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolution of Life II 2/5/2011

Got2BtheB

Smash Rookie
Why are there $30 missing from the payouts in singles and $5 from doubles?
I, Danny, who ran the tournament with my Mom and Grandma took $10 a piece for running the tournament. We spent 6 hours of our time helping out with the tournament. We're not sure where the extra $5 went. Maybe someone didn't pay or it got lost in the exchanges. I probably should have announced that we were doing this at the beginning of the tourney. Sorry for the miscommunication. I hope you had fun at the tournament. We are hoping to host another one in March. Congratulations to Kain.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
I'm not saying thats unreasonable, you should just definitely say that BEFORE hand. Most venues, if they do something like this, take it out of the venue fee, not the pot itself. If you felt the need to be compensated, no one would've cared about a $5 venue fee instead of a $3 one. Doing this without telling anyone that you're taking it directly out of the pot is definitely shady.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Yeah dude. The pot is for the players only. It sounds like the venue told you that any money you get from the venue fee belongs to them, which is a big no-no. You're the one running the tournament, not them.

Work out a price for using the venue before the tournament, and don't pay them any more than that. As long as you abide by the rules they have for hosting tournaments, they have no right to demand more money based on how many people walk in the door.

That way, you can keep some money for yourself from the VENUE fee, as opposed to virtually stealing money from a pot that players buy into assuming that they're going to get a certain % of the pot if they get 3rd or better.

I say "virtually" because I know you didn't intend to steal or anything, and IMO every tournament organizer deserves to be compensated for running a tournament. But the pot belongs to the players, and the venue fee belongs to the TO. And the price that you pay before the tournament belongs to the venue. The venue fee that you collect just pays for your debt from paying the venue earlier. That's why it pays to advertise your tournament, as more people will show up and you'll get more money back.

Got2BtheB

Smash Rookie
I'm not saying thats unreasonable, you should just definitely say that BEFORE hand. Most venues, if they do something like this, take it out of the venue fee, not the pot itself. If you felt the need to be compensated, no one would've cared about a $5 venue fee instead of a $3 one. Doing this without telling anyone that you're taking it directly out of the pot is definitely shady.
I agree with what you and DLA say. I am new to running tournaments. I should have said something and I will learn for next time. Next time, if I decide to take any fee for running the tournament, I will work it out in the venue fee.

I hope you guys had fun. Please appreciate that we had this tournament. There hasn't been a tournament at Cyber Arena since last August, which Chompy also hosted. Chompy worked hard to get this one organized. Me and my family took our time out and worked hard to run the tournament smoothly, so none of you had to worry about any of the tournament organization and could just hang out with your friends.

I admit there are some things that we made mistakes on that we will learn from for the future. If you guys appreciated the time and effort that we put forth to run this tournament, we will learn to improve and run more tournaments so you guys can have fun.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
We know you didn't intend to come off badly. I mean, you guys went out of your way to run a tournament for us all to enjoy, and I'm sure we're all super grateful for it. It's just, like what DLA said, the money in the pot is sacred.

Sago

Smash Lord
I dont intend any hard feelings from this.

Random Seeding?

I know i should have called but i was expecting to be on time. It would have been cool if people could have signed me up or waited the 10 minutes for us to join doubles. There were a bunch of byes and we could have been shoved in :( (havent missed doubles in 4 years)

The tournament seemed unnecessarily rushed. We were not in any danger of running out of time at this event. Despite being way ahead of losers bracket i was literally not aloud to watch a match that really wanted to see, instead i had to do finals right then so that i could sit around for another hour and wait.

I had to wait close to 90minutes for meneils doubles to finish so i could play singles and then when i was outside while they ended i was threatened to be DQ'd?

The TO's left early and asked some of the players to finish the tournaments themselves, but still took out 30$ from the pot for themselves without telling anyone? This is possibly the worst TO conduct i have seen in 4 years ive been playing

I appreciate what you guys did, and i know your new to Tournament Organization, but i was very dissapointed. I think you can work out some of the kinks.
I hope you continue to host, as i will continue to show up to your events.

p.s.- so salty

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I agree with what you and DLA say. I am new to running tournaments. I should have said something and I will learn for next time. Next time, if I decide to take any fee for running the tournament, I will work it out in the venue fee.

I hope you guys had fun. Please appreciate that we had this tournament. There hasn't been a tournament at Cyber Arena since last August, which Chompy also hosted. Chompy worked hard to get this one organized. Me and my family took our time out and worked hard to run the tournament smoothly, so none of you had to worry about any of the tournament organization and could just hang out with your friends.

I admit there are some things that we made mistakes on that we will learn from for the future. If you guys appreciated the time and effort that we put forth to run this tournament, we will learn to improve and run more tournaments so you guys can have fun.
Don't worry about it, I'm sure everyone knows that you weren't trying to steal or anything. However I would suggest that next tournament you return the money to the people who won it, because they shouldn't have to suffer for the mistake. They won the money fair and square after all.

Also, while I have your ear, there's another complaint everyone has that I'd like to address: the bracket seeding. I assume that the bracket was randomly generated? Pretty much all smash tournaments we do are seeded according to prior results. We have a ranking thread set up with the top 10 players (well top 6 for the most recent update), and for everyone else we pretty much have a general consensus of their skill, and we seed the brackets accordingly.

We don't really expect you to know everyone's skill level off the top of your head, so it's perfectly fine to ask for help from the players when making a bracket. Ask Oro or Kirk for seeding help, they are great TO's.

Finally... we got lucky that we had enough setups for this, but next time you might want to consider discounting or waiving people's venue fees for bringing setups. Probably about 95% of the tournaments I've ever been to have waived my venue fee for bringing a setup, and the other 5% already had enough setups and didn't need mine. It's a lot of trouble to fit our lunky TVs into a car and schlep them across a mall, and a lot of people won't have any motivation to bring their setup if nothing comes of it.

Oh and one more thing... if you're the TO, then leaving the tournament early is generally a bad thing lol.

Having said all that, I personally had a lot of fun at the tournament, and if you fix these things, then you'll have a great, well-run tournament series.

I have never been paid for running a tournament in my life. :awesome:
There's a difference between hosting a tournament and running a tournament Barnsicle :p

King~

Smash Champion
i was a the host at my own series of tournies back in Ohio

i ran them out my moms house, naturally didnt charge

its just rule of thumb to let your attendees know ahead of time if your taking money from the pot or if the veneu fee is serving as compensation for the TOs

ook

Smash Lord
@Oro/King/Norm: The difference is that you guys are actually into smash, so simply having a tournament is worth all the hard work to you (though I'm sure no one would mind if you chose to take some venue fee).

I imagine chompy's family is probably bored out of their skulls sitting around running a tourney for something they don't care about. (though I hear his mom mains :dk2:)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
@Oro/King/Norm: The difference is that you guys are actually into smash, so simply having a tournament is worth all the hard work to you (though I'm sure no one would mind if you chose to take some venue fee).

I imagine chompy's family is probably bored out of their skulls sitting around running a tourney for something they don't care about. (though I hear his mom mains :dk2:)
That is amazing.

~

Ok serious moment here. A To does have the right to take a portion is they wish, TOs can do what they want, however, I do agree they should have told people about this before they did this. Looks like thought people took this better than it could have turned out, which is very good.

Seeding is better when not random I agree, but I guess for a tournament series that I think this was only the second time ran wasn't bad. Maybe if this was a lot more on going sure, but for people who really didn't know about smash or this it's not bad, especially when I have been to library tournaments that have done far worse in making a bracket or seeding people as such. So I wouldn't give them a hard time about this, even though people were talking about Creep and Kappy having reverse situations of what can go wrong with random seeding, it didn't turn out that bad in retrospect.

So it's just to note for next time, and I'm glad people didn't lash out about this like other tournaments or regions have.

Top Bottom