• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Pools Released

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I think the three potential switches you have set to go right now are the most balanced and well-rounded, and covers as many issues as possible.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Armada isn't seeded.
True. However, my stance is that moving Armada to Q98 just to delay his inevitable match vs PP by one round isn't as important as some of these other multi-layered issues. Also note that if you have to pick one of the North American big four to meet Armada before semis, it should be PP because he is seeded 4th from EVO points, despite what anyone might think about where he truly ranks among the big four.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I was thinking that swapping him with Westballz/Lucien/Tafokints would balance out QFs more, not with the guys in Q98. Though PP's 4th place seeding is a good point.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I'm sure your switches are good choices, but I'm just surprised that no one has mentioned that Armada and his brother Android are in the same portion of the bracket such that if Android beats PP (possible) then Armada and Android meet before winner's semis or worse (and more likely) if both lose to PP then they likely meet in losers. Armada could potentially fly across the world for his brother to play in this tournament only to run into him in loser's bracket before semis. That to me is dumb, but I know that won't be changed so I hope that the scenario doesn't play out like that. It gives "regional conflict" a whole new meaning.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'm sure your switches are good choices, but I'm just surprised that no one has mentioned that Armada and his brother Android are in the same portion of the bracket such that if Android beats PP (possible) then Armada and Android meet before winner's semis or worse (and more likely) if both lose to PP then they likely meet in losers. Armada could potentially fly across the world for his brother to play in this tournament only to run into him in loser's bracket before semis. That to me is dumb, but I know that won't be changed so I hope that the scenario doesn't play out like that. It gives "regional conflict" a whole new meaning.
I definitely recognize this, but the constraints we're working with (only three recommendations) make it extremely difficult. You'd basically be saying that moving Android away from Armada in the event that Android beats Dr PeePee is one of the top 3 most important recommendations that should be sent to Ponder. And I just don't think it is.

I just sent Ponder the email with our three primary recommendations and three secondary recommendations if he'll listen to them. Again, details on those can be found at the MIOM Google Doc. Hoping for the best!

t3h Icy

Smash Master
It's fine since,

Android wins his pool (defeating Ciz and Redd), then he'll have to go through Dr.PeePee, one of Jpegimage/DJMirror/Merck/Milkman, and then Armada in Winners' Eighths. Not only very unlikely, but that's far enough into the bracket that it's not really a problem.

If he gets 2nd in his pool, he'll be in Losers' in a different QFs. The earliest he'll meet Armada then is if Armada places 2nd in his pool (lol), and they were to both run through five players before meeting in Losers' 64ths, which is the earliest possible. Again, not really a problem.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Yobolight Germ is in his pool assuming all of our suggestions go through. Additionally consider that if he wins he will have to play SFAT. Look at the overall bracket before making any judgments, please.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Just further projections of pool results. Note that these are BEFORE the final changes:
Top 92:

Q1 - Mango
Q2 - Noobking
Q3 - Yakal/Swedish Delight
Q4 - Yakal/Swedish Delight
Q5 - Phish-it/Swift
Q6 - Phish-it/Swift
Q7 - Axe
Q8 - Moon/ORLY
Q9 - Reno
Q10 - ???
Q11 - Bladewise/Lucky
Q12 - Bladewise/Lucky
Q13 - IB
Q14 - Spife/King Funk/Angelbless(?)
Q15 - Mogwai/Cort/L/Choknater
Q16 - Mogwai/Cort/L/Choknater
Q17 - G$
Q18 - Summonedfist?
Q19 - Fuzzyness/Fiction
Q20 - Fuzzyness/Fiction
Q21 - Wobbles
Q22 - Eggz
Q23 - Lord
Q24 - ???
Q25 - Dr.PeePee
Q26 - Kels
Q27 - Android/Ciz/Redd
Q28 - Android/Ciz/Redd
Q29 - Jpegimage/DJMirror/Merck/Milkman
Q30 - Jpegimage/DJMirror/Merck/Milkman
Q31 - Fly Amanita
Q32 - Stric9
Q33 - Vudujin
Q34 - ???
Q35 - Armada
Q36 - Blunted Object
Q37 - Hax
Q38 - ThePrime/Boback/Roman
Q39 - Vist/Bizzaro/Laijin/Tang/Meta/Nicknyte
Q40 - Vist/Bizzaro/Laijin/Tang/Meta/Nicknyte
Q41 - Kou/Zoap/Lovage
Q42 - Kou/Zoap/Lovage
Q43 - S2J
Q44 - Zeldafreak
Q45 - Scar/Mattdotzeb/DEHF
Q46 - Scar/Mattdotzeb/DEHF
Q47 - Hungrybox
Q48 - Rusty Shackelfurd/Stab/Falcomist/Mackadotious/Baka4moe
Q49 - Darkrain
Q50 - ???
Q51 - ???
Q52 - ???
Q53 - SFAT/J666/Lanceinthepants/Toph/Silent Wolf
Q54 - SFAT/J666/Lanceinthepants/Toph/Silent Wolf
Q55 - Shroomed
Q56 - Germ/Iceman
Q57 - HMW/Taj
Q58 - HMW/Taj
Q59 - Hyuga/Tai
Q60 - Hyuga/Tai
Q61 - D1/Hyprid/Strong Bad
Q62 - D1/Hyprid/Strong Bad
Q63 - Jman/Leffen
Q64 - Jman/Leffen
Q65 - PewPewU
Q66 - Darrell/Jolteon/Cosmo
Q67 - Dart
Q68 - ???
Q69 - Bob$/Sung666
Q70 - Bob$/Sung666
Q71 - Mew2King
Q72 - Cyrain
Q73 - Zoso
Q74 - Everlasting Yay
Q75 - Smashmac/Navn/Amsa
Q76 - Smashmac/Navn/Amsa
Q77 - Zhu
Q78 - Hugs
Q79 - Raistlin/Ken/Vman
Q80 - Raistlin/Ken/Vman
Q81 - Silentspectre/Duck/Eddy Mexico
Q82 - Silentspectre/Duck/Eddy Mexico
Q83 - Shiz
Q84 - ???
Q85 - Michael Li/Simna/Aisight
Q86 - Michael Li/Simna/Aisight
Q87 - Ice
Q88 - Chad/Chexr/Alan/Trahh
Q89 - Westballz/Vish/Lucien
Q90 - Westballz/Vish/Lucien
Q91 - Tafokints
Q92 - ???

This will lead to the QF pools as such:

I57 Winners'
---
Q1 - Mango
Q3 - Yakal/Swedish Delight

Q5 - Phish-it/Swift
---
Q7 - Axe
Q9 - Reno

Q11 - Bladewise/Lucky
---
Q13 - IB
Q15 - Mogwai/Cort/L/Choknater

Q17 - G$
---
Q19 - Fuzzyness/Fiction
Q21 - Wobbles

Q23 - Lord
---

I57 Losers'
---
Q48 - Rusty Shackelfurd/Stab/Falcomist/Mackadotious/Baka4moe
Q50 - ???

Q52 - ???
---
Q54 - SFAT/J666/Lanceinthepants/Toph/Silent Wolf
Q56 - Germ/Iceman

Q58 - HMW/Taj
---
Q60 - Hyuga/Tai
Q62 - D1/Hyprid/Strong Bad

Q64 - Jman/Leffen
---
Q66 - Darrell/Jolteon/Cosmo
Q68 - ???

Q70 - Bob$/Sung666
---

I59 Winners'
---
Q25 - Dr.PeePee
Q27 - Android/Ciz/Redd

Q29 - Jpegimage/DJMirror/Merck/Milkman
---
Q31 - Fly Amanita
Q33 - Vudujin

Q35 - Armada
---
Q37 - Hax
Q39 - Vist/Bizzaro/Laijin/Tang/Meta/Nicknyte

Q41 - Kou/Zoap/Lovage
---
Q43 - S2J

Q45 - Scar/Mattdotzeb/DEHF
---

I59 Losers'
---
Q72 - Cyrain
Q74 - Everlasting Yay

Q76 - Smashmac/Navn/Amsa
---
Q78 - Hugs
Q80 - Raistlin/Ken/Vman

Q82 - Silentspectre/Duck/Eddy Mexico
---
Q84 - ???
Q86 - Michael Li/Simna/Aisight

Q88 - Chad/Chexr/Alan/Trahh
---
Q90 - Westballz/Vish/Lucien

Q92 - ???
---

I61 Winners'
---
Q47 - Hungrybox
Q49 - Darkrain

Q51 - ???
---
Q53 - SFAT/J666/Lanceinthepants/Toph/Silent Wolf
Q55 - Shroomed

Q57 - HMW/Taj
---
Q59 - Hyuga/Tai
Q61 - D1/Hyprid/Strong Bad

Q63 - Jman/Leffen
---
Q65 - PewPewU
Q67 - Dart

Q69 - Bob$/Sung666
---

I61 Losers'
---
Q2 - Noobking
Q4 - Yakal/Swedish Delight

Q6 - Phish-it/Swift
---
Q8 - Moon/ORLY
Q10 - ???

Q12 - Bladewise/Lucky
---
Q14 - Spife/King Funk/Angelbless(?)
Q16 - Mogwai/Cort/L/Choknater

Q18 - Summonedfist?
---
Q20 - Fuzzyness/Fiction
Q22 - Eggz

Q24 - ???
---

I63 Winners'
---
Q71 - Mew2King
Q73 - Zoso

Q75 - Smashmac/Navn/Amsa
---
Q77 - Zhu
Q79 - Raistlin/Ken/Vman

Q81 - Silentspectre/Duck/Eddy Mexico
---
Q83 - Shiz
Q85 - Michael Li/Simna/Aisight

Q87 - Ice
---
Q89 - Westballz/Vish/Lucien

Q91 - Tafokints
---

I63 Losers'
---
Q26 - Kels
Q28 - Android/Ciz/Redd

Q30 - Jpegimage/DJMirror/Merck/Milkman
---
Q32 - Stric9
Q34 - ???

Q36 - Blunted Object
---
Q38 - ThePrime/Boback/Roman
Q40 - Vist/Bizzaro/Laijin/Tang/Meta/Nicknyte

Q42 - Kou/Zoap/Lovage
---
Q44 - Zeldafreak

Q46 - Scar/Mattdotzeb/DEHF
---

Also, I'm pretty sure Juggleguy is hesitant on moving Armada since he wants to see him go Losers' round 1. Such bias.

Djent

Smash Champion
Cort is apparently HugQ - dunno if that changes things. Also, I'm calling the following:

DEHF > Scar/Mattdotzeb
Taj > HMW
Vman > Kwn
Chad > those other ppl

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Notables in c64 = Hungrybox, Stab, Falcomist, Baka4Moe, Rusty shacklefurd
Notables in c60 = Vist, Bizzarro Flame, Laijin, Meta, Tang

I believe that these two pools in general are the most important, wish there were more than 3 switches

Theftz22

Smash Lord
See the big issue is that now Armada vs PP happens outside of top 8, meaning it won't be on the main stream on Sunday. To me that's a big mistake. While other players are important, historical record to me indicates that the big 5 are the main factor we should have focused on. IMO that should have been fixed before moving Shroomed. No use crying over spilled milk though I guess.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Switch PP with any other player in the top 5 and you still have a problem.

Let me put it this way: it is not actually possible no matter WHAT the bracket configuration is to have Armada NOT play someone else in the big 5 before quarters. I mean...1 bracket, 4 quarters, 5 great players, you do the math lmao.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Considering the current bracket placement of the North American big four and the constraint that we can't move any seeded player, it is impossible for Armada to avoid Mango, PP, Hbox, and M2K until Sunday Top 8. Look at the bracket again closely, Theftz.

EDIT: got ninja'd by clowsui!

t3h Icy

Smash Master
The concern is more that of the QF Pools, the bottom half is not as stacked and placing Armada there would be more balancing. Maybe too much so that the difficulty teeters in the other direction though.

In any case, the selections made were ideal and very well thought out so props to you guys for setting that up and to EVO for allowing us to make direct changes ourselves!

With PP and Armada (most likely) clashing where they do, the loser still will be in the outskirts of making top 16 (guaranteed 17th, 1 win to make it to Semis). With looking at how the bracket is set up, predicting players that are likely to meet, etc, I'm pretty sure the loser will be facing one of S2J/Lovage/Hax/Westballz/Vudujin for the top 16 slot, and with the caliber of Armada and PP, I think the only realistic way one will lose is if Hax vs Armada happens there.

That comes from a long series of predictions that all need to happen, but it's the most likely outcome so regardless of what happens in Winners', both Armada and PP should have no trouble making it to the top 16 Semi-Final Pools.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'm really relieved you guys are supporting my pool switch. I sent them feedback on it yesterday the moment Vist informed me he was suddenly moved into my pool. It really sucks because I don't want to fly across the country just to play someone I play normally in my region when its a 736 man bracket and there are only like 5 or 6 people in my entire region actually attending. I'm quite sure they should be able to do something about this. On top of that this bracket now is way more stacked than most other brackets =\ So I just asked for them to switch me out or something.

Thanks guys! I'm sure both Vist and I will appreciate it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Yo IDK about this bottom half being not stacked. SFAT, Darkrain, Taj, Leffen, Jman, Shiz, Ice, Westballz...:x looks scary. Armada just tips the top half balance off, but w/out Armada the bracket is overall very very balanced (which you acknowledged, so idk why I even wrote this post xD)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Yo IDK about this bottom half being not stacked. SFAT, Darkrain, Taj, Leffen, Jman, Shiz, Ice, Westballz...:x looks scary. Armada just tips the top half balance off, but w/out Armada the bracket is overall very very balanced (which you acknowledged, so idk why I even wrote this post xD)
There are definitely a ton of talented players in the bottom half, but they're all piled up in the same sections instead of the slightly better spread of them in the top half. In terms of just raw numbers of good players, both sides are about the same, but the bottom half's matches deeper into the bracket aren't as brutal. There's going to be a lot of early carnage in the bottom, while the big matches at the top of PP vs Armada and Mango vs Axe happen later on. Maybe balance is the wrong word, but they're both different. In any case, it won't matter much as far as making it to Semi Pools is concerned. Also, since Shroomed will be in G$'s slot, and Silent Wolf will be in the same section as Shiz and Ice, the giant group of players fighting for Q101 is balanced out and there's less regional problems with all the West Coast players currently there.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
They moved Jace (my crewmate and homie) out of my pool, so I'm happy. Hyprid and D1, prepare to meet your doom!

Laijin

Smash Hero
I like the pool changes, but we should definitely take another step in balancing out a few of the "hard" pools. I think we should aim for a max of "3" tough players per pool, and I'm sure this is definitely possible. Do you guys agree?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just played wizzrobe for like 12 hours...that kid is going to upset some people in melee. He's about Darkrains level of skill watching him play atma. He's in Eggz/wobbles pool

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
maybe jace level

but not darkrain level

Laijin: Not possible. We had 3 changes. They're used. The pools are final, I'm fairly sure. Furthermore, 3 "tough players" per pool means there are 130 tough players... things start getting ambiguous and bias can come into the picture even after just 60 or so.

clowsui

Smash Legend
A BIIIIIG THANKS TO PONDER!

He has implemented all 6 changes despite only promising 3. This bracket is, in my opinion, now 100% fair and basically free of complaint with consideration to overall difficulty and structure given the constraints we were given. No bracket is perfect - but I speak for myself and, I think, Juggleguy, when I say that this is actually pretty damn close.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
btw whoever's looking at the pool with Tai & Sheridan in it and NOT putting jace at least 2nd, ur wrong. jace could win that pool.

Animal

Smash Lord
Not trying to put myself out there, but I think I can upset HMW. Also, Codi I think will out place Amsa, Smashmac, and Navn. People sleeping on the long island spacies.

More importantly, I think there's a lot of players like myself and codi in these pools that people have probably never heard of, but are definitely capable of taking out the big names. Those are the ones you need to look out for

Top Bottom