• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2016 EVO 2014 Seed Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
Hi,

It's that time of year again! Last year you guys really helped us a lot in balancing the Evo brackets before we locked them down. We're going to go through the review process this year. I'm also hoping you can help get us off on the right foot before we make them. If possible, could you come to a consensus on the following:

1) The Top 8 Seeds for the Smash tournament, in seed order.
2) The 9-16 seeds, in no particular order.

I'd ideally like to have this information the night of Monday, June 30th so we can crank out the brackets right after registration ends.

Thanks for your help! I can't wait to see all you guys at EVO!

--
Tony Cannon
Evolution 2014 Tournament Director

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
How should Evo qualifiers be taken into account?
Since we didn't announce any formal mechanism, feel whatever metric you feel is best, including recent tournament results, points at ranking events, etc. The most important thing is that your rankings reflect who the most skilled players are.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
well this is awkward, should have had the usual road to evo.....
Top 8:
1. PPMD
2. Mango
3. Armada
4. M2K
5. Leffen
6. Hungrybox
7. Hax
8. um....Westballz I guess

next 8, no order:
Axe
Shroomed
Plup
PPU
Fiction
Colbol
Ice (if he's going)
either aMSa (Bo3 should alleviate some of his troubles from MLG) or Lucky

edit: yup, no legacy points for Hbox here

Last edited:

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
  1. C9 Mang0
  2. P4K EMP Armada
  3. EG PPMd
  4. P4K EMP Mew2King
  5. Leffen (over Hbox because he's done more impressive stuff in 2014(Sets off of PPMD, Hbox, multiple off of Armada))
  6. CRS.Hungrybox(Again, Hbox as 5th is from a legacy over results sentiment. His only win in 2014 over 1-5 on this list is vs M2K)
  7. Hax
  8. Westballz(Socal's Finest [on a good day])

9-16:
  • Axe
  • Colbol
  • Fly Amanita
  • S2J
  • PewPewU
  • SFAT
  • Shroomed
  • Ice

Djent

Smash Champion
1) Mango
2) Armada
3) PPMD
4) M2K
5) Leffen
6) HBox
7) Hax
8) Westballz
9-16) Amsa, Axe, Fiction, Fly Amanita, Ice, PewPewU, Shroomed, S2J.

Explanation:
The big 5/6 + Hax (perennial #7)
SoCal's 4 best by ranking
NorCal's 2 best
AZ's strongest player
2 strong international reps

EDIT: If Ice does not go, give Plup his seed. Wanted to include him but ran out of space.

Last edited:

*Risen*

Smash Cadet
1. C9 Mang0
2. P4K l EMP l Armada
3. EG l PPMD
4. P4K l EMP l Mew2King
5. Leffen
6. CRS l Hungrybox
7. VGBC l Hax
8. Axe/Westballz (Axe outplaced West @ MLG, Axe beat M2K+Hbox, West beat Mango 3-0 in pools, don't know the rest)
9. ^^^ The other one
10-16. Fiction, Colbol, Plup, MMG l Shroomed, MIOM l PewPewU, MOR l Chu Dat, S2J.
Other options for bottom 8 seeds include: VGBC l aMSa, SFAT, Lucky, Fly Amanita, Javi (he's apparently coming!)
This is assuming Ice isn't coming to EVO.

WhizPower

Smash Rookie
NNID
WhizPower
3DS FC
2423-3216-2172
1. Mango
2. Armada
3. PPMD
4. Mew2King
5. Leffen
6. Hungybox
7. Hax
8. Axe

9-16:
- Westballz
- Fly Amanita
- aMSa (EVO being bo3 is a big boost to him)
- Fiction
- Colbol
- Shroomed
- S2J
- PewPewU

This is hard though. I think almost everyone will agree on who is in the top 9 (Westballz being #9 on my personal list) but beyond that it gets pretty tough.

Napkin

Smash Cadet
1. Armada 2. PPMD(One bad tournament only) 3. Mango 4. M2K 5. Leffen 6. Hungrybox 7. Westballz 8. Hax
Fly Amanita, S2j, Plup, Lucky, Pewpewu, Shroomed, Ice, Axe

Last edited:

zerothetheif

Hylia's Chosen Hero
1 PPMD
2 Armada
3 Mango
4 Hungrybox
5 Mew2King
6 Leffen
7 Hax
8 Westballz

9-16 Fly Amanita, Colbol, Plup, Sfat, Fiction, Soft, Ice, PewPewU

Egadd

Smash Rookie
1. Mango
2. Armada
3. PPMD
4. M2K
5. Hungrybox
6. Hax
7. Leffen
8. Axe
9 - 16. Westballz, PPU, S2J, Plup, Fly Amanita, Lucky, Shroomed, Fiction

Osennecho

Smash Ace
1. Mango
2. Armada
3. PPMD
4. M2K
5. Hbox
6. Leffen
7. Hax
8. Axe

9-16: Westballz, Plup, S2J, Shroomed, PPU, (Ice if attending), Fiction, Fly Amanita
*If Ice is not going, replace with Javi

Last edited:

Armada

Smash Lord
1-3 Mango/Me/PP in some order
4th M2k
5th Leffen
6th Hbox
7th Hax
8th Axe/Westballz

I honestly think that with my results lately I deserve one of the top 2 spots.
Since coming back to America again (and coming back after a year long break basically) I had a rough start with 4th place at Sktar but after that I have placed first 3 times (Super Sweet/SSS and CEO) and 2nd once (MLG).

So extremly consistent results and been playing top Americans every weekend for 5 weeks straight now.

Last edited:

Selodin

2PAC
1. Mango
2. Armada
3. PPMD
4. M2k
5. Hbox
6. Leffen
7. Hax
8. Westballz

I think the top 4 are no brainers, yea Hbox beat M2k at CEO but M2k has definitely had the more consistent performance lately. I also think including axe in the top 8 at this point is a bit premature, historically he's known for doing well one tournament then falling off for a while. Not that he isn't good, but i'm not willing to say that he nudges out hax or westballz for the spot atm.

9-16

axe/plup/PPU/shroomed/fiction/colbol/S2J/Fly

Last edited:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Hi Ponder,

Here is the MIOM-approved list:

1. Mango
2. Armada
3. PPMD
4. Mew2King
5. Leffen
6. Hungrybox
7. Hax
8. Axe

9-16.
Westballz
Fly Amanita
Fiction
S2J
PewPewU
Shroomed
Plup
Colbol

Next few (if some of the players above don't show)
SFAT
Lucky
Silent Wolf
Ice

Endorsed by Scar, Prog, Sheridan, Toph, Tafokints, and myself.

Senortesta

Smash Apprentice
I agree with juggleguy's post except maybe switching axe and westballz

I also find it ridiculous that some people don't have plup/colbol on their lists but do have fiction, s2j, and fly. Colbol beat s2j and fly at mlg and plup beat colbol at mlg and fiction at ceo.

And also people have players like Ice and amsa on their lists even though amsa has done so poorly at mlg and ceo since people can adapt to the matchup so if he were to run into any of the other players I think he would lose. Ice on the other hand has been the least active of all these players when it comes to playing against other top people. I think because of this Ice doesn't qualify for evo seeding over any of the other players mentioned on the MIOM list.

Last edited:

Napkin

Smash Cadet
I don't agree with how everybody is putting PPMD at 3rd. Maybe he is third best right now, but he's only lost sets at MLG, and he was completely untouchable beforehand. He lost a single set to Mango, when he won two others this year, he lost a single set to M2K, when he's won four sets this year, and he's beaten Armada the one time they've played this year.

Selodin

2PAC
I don't agree with how everybody is putting PPMD at 3rd. Maybe he is third best right now, but he's only lost sets at MLG, and he was completely untouchable beforehand. He lost a single set to Mango, when he won two others this year, he lost a single set to M2K, when he's won four sets this year, and he's beaten Armada the one time they've played this year.
If PP deserves better than 3rd seed he needs to prove it, one tournament win compared to the numerous results armada/mango have been putting on the board. I doubt PP himself would even complain about 3rd at this point, if you don't put in the work you don't get the recognition. This is the same reason I am doubtful of everyone seeding Axe so high, he was putting in work at MLG but something tells me his EVO performance is going to be less amazing. It's the same thing that happened with Amsa. Good player, but he has been highly overrated just because of the yoshi factor.

Last edited:

smashmachine

Smash Lord
I wonder if the probable M2K vs Leffen matchup for top 8 winners being Bo3 will change anything (specifically no FD counterpicking)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
You have to look at the body of work in the time period that you deem relevant. To most people, that means at least the last 12 months of major tournament results.

Let's consider victories at tourneys of 100+ entrants with 2+ gods in attendance in the past year:

Mango: EVO 2013, ROM 7, Fight Pitt 4, Get On My Level, MLG Anaheim
Armada: Super SWEET, SSS Lock-In, CEO 2014
PP: Tipped Off 9, Apex 2014, SKTAR 3
M2K: The Big House 3, Shuffle V, ROM 6, Pat's House 2
Leffen: BEAST 4, ROF 3
Hbox: none

Mango is #1 by a wide margin, I'd say, for reasons I won't repeat and bore you with. Armada's dominance over M2K and Hbox and four (!) set wins over Mango earn him the #2 spot. PP has taken two of the five biggest tourneys and did so with at least four gods at each, so he's at the #3 spot. M2K's resume is clearly worse than the top three and clearly better than anyone else, so he's the logical #4. Leffen at #5 is a no-brainer when you consider his tourney victories and mutual record vs the other gods compared to Hbox, who is #6.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lololol poor hbox. I'd press 1, but I don't feel bad.
Besides, we all know once Wobbles THE PHOENIX returns we'll have a new #3 ;)

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ Juggleguy Juggleguy Could explain why Ice is missing from the MIOM top 16 seed list? At the last big internationals he's been in, he outplaced or tied with everybody in the 9-16 except colbol. Also his late international results are more convincing than that of many of the players in the 9-16, for example fly amanitas 17th at apex and evo and 29th at mlg don't look that good compared to Ice's 7th evo 9th apex. I think the 2 points of data from big internationals for ice and solid european should be enough to warrant him a place in the top 16 seeds.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
@ Juggleguy Juggleguy Could explain why Ice is missing from the MIOM top 16 seed list? At the last big internationals he's been in, he outplaced or tied with everybody in the 9-16 except colbol. Also his late international results are more convincing than that of many of the players in the 9-16, for example fly amanitas 17th at apex and evo and 29th at mlg don't look that good compared to Ice's 7th evo 9th apex. I think the 2 points of data from big internationals for ice and solid european should be enough to warrant him a place in the top 16 seeds.
Furthermore Ice also got 3rd at Beast 4 (beating Leffen in winners) and 4th at RoF3.

Last edited:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I can tell you Fly Amanita's 2nd place at KoC 3 and 1st place at TNE are probably more impressive than Ice's 7th at EVO 2013 and 9th at Apex 2014.

Look at the body of work, the wins and losses, not necessarily the placings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom