• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Ruleset

Battlecow

Play to Win
I really hope they allow the winner to switch

It's the standard, it's the best way, and frankly it allows for character diversity. Don't sacrifice the legitimacy of good matches to save one measly line in your rule set. This isn't street fighter.

I also didn't see anything about exceptions to the 2/3 thing. quarters-finals are 3/5 for like UMVC, but it doesn't say that for melee.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Allowing the winner to switch should be kept if counterpicking stages is going to be in.
Stages enhance/hamper character effectiveness in smash much more than other 2D fighters.

The loser picks a CP stage, then the winner may switch characters, after which the loser then chooses their next character, if different.

Revven

FrankerZ
Honestly I'm more worried about semis/finals not being specified as 3/5 than the character switching.

Finals for all games are best out of 5, don't worry about that. Semis are typically best of 3 though, only Marvel gets the "special" case of having best out of 5 because it doesn't have rounds like other fighting games and matches tend to go rather quickly (it also gives the players more time to download the other player).

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Finals for all games are best out of 5, don't worry about that. Semis are typically best of 3 though, only Marvel gets the "special" case of having best out of 5 because it doesn't have rounds like other fighting games and matches tend to go rather quickly (it also gives the players more time to download the other player).

also, Street Fighter gets top 8 best of 5

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Anyone want to theory craft m2k vs. mango in a bo5 with bans and winner not switching?

I think bans are a bigger issue, I'd rather like seeing m2k being able to ensure Marth vs fox on FD if he loses and mango knowing m2k has to stay Marth if he loses.

Bones0

Smash Legend

SEMIS are bo3? That's ridiculous... I'll cry if I literally get <5 minutes of Mango vs. PP at Evo because they want to save time during the only real important part of the tournament.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
There's one last clarification that the rules need, which is regarding stage bans in the finals since they are bo5; our stage list has 6 stages, so if each player gets a ban, then you're left with 4 legal stages, and given that you can't CP a stage you won on, this could force a game 5 in which someone is forced to pick a stage they LOST on, which can amount to giving the other player a free counterpick after they won, which is dumb.

The way we addressed this at NCR (and in the Norcal community generally) was to say there are no bans in bo5 sets.
An alternative that lets you keep bans is to have the game 1 stage be the game 5 stage if all 4 stages have been exhausted, since it's ostensibly the most 'neutral.'
I prefer the first one because it is simpler, and it doesn't deprive anyone of a counterpick in game 5. It has the drawback that it sways matchups since one character might have a much stronger CP than another, which would ordinarily be banned.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Since this is a matter that will only pertain to the top 3 perhaps we can add no bans in bo5 as an asterisk. It won't be confusing for anybody because its only the top 3 and they're already used to that

Tero.

Smash Champion
The APEX Ruleset didn't have Bans in Best of 5 anyway, did it?
So this shouldn't be up to debate.
We've been playing with no Bans in Bo5 since we have a 6 stage list and EVO is definitely not the right time to change anything.

I'm also kind of depressed that Top 8 are not all Bo5. Having Bo3 for those matches doesn't save much time compared to all the matches before and could be easily compensated by just using 1 or 2 tvs more.
I mean we've been waiting for this for so long, we've donated 100k $ do we really need to save 5 minutes of time during those matches where ALL of the best players from around the world are playing?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Really? You can't get everything, we're on Sunday and getting all of top 8 streamed. they simply don't have time. This is the same deal for other games, at least the tournament deciders are bo5. And it's hardly 5 minutes when armadas involved with a bo5 lol

Revven

FrankerZ
The APEX Ruleset didn't have Bans in Best of 5 anyway, did it?
So this shouldn't be up to debate.
We've been playing with no Bans in Bo5 since we have a 6 stage list and EVO is definitely not the right time to change anything.

I'm also kind of depressed that Top 8 are not all Bo5. Having Bo3 for those matches doesn't save much time compared to all the matches before and could be easily compensated by just using 1 or 2 tvs more.
I mean we've been waiting for this for so long, we've donated 100k $ do we really need to save 5 minutes of time during those matches where ALL of the best players from around the world are playing?

Top 8 is on the main stage, there's only one TV, all those matches get played out ON STREAM for us to see >_>

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
You guys should allow Wobbling. The same way people get hyped for Marvel infinites I'm sure the EVO crowd would like seeing something they find familiar. Why don't you just do the 1 wobbling per game like they had at I forgot what tournament (Maybe it was Apex or Genesis I can't remember)

Bones0

Smash Legend
You guys should allow Wobbling. The same way people get hyped for Marvel infinites I'm sure the EVO crowd would like seeing something they find familiar. Why don't you just do the 1 wobbling per game like they had at I forgot what tournament (Maybe it was Apex or Genesis I can't remember)
Wobbling is legal.

PB&J

Smash Hero
so semis arent best of 5? get ready for the ultimate upsets of all time.

Besides that, my body is ready for evo. Rules look pretty good wizard. Not the best,but still good. See you guys in a week :)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
not really sure if you can call it an "upset" if only 6 or 4 players remain in the tournament...

smashmachine

Smash Lord
not really sure if you can call it an "upset" if only 6 or 4 players remain in the tournament...

well, I would have liked "finals" aka top 8 to be best of 5 like street fighter
but yeah, it can't really be an upset at that point of the tournament

Oohwakamuu

Smash Rookie
well, I would have liked "finals" aka top 8 to be best of 5 like street fighter
but yeah, it can't really be an upset at that point of the tournament

Street Fighter isn't best of 5 in top 8. We get the same deal as Smash. I think you're referring to UMVC3 and that's due to the fast matches and touch of death combos.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Yeah it is new they made an announcement, street fighter gets something too but not see of the specifics, might just be winners and losers semis are bo5.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Yeah it is new they made an announcement, street fighter gets something too but not see of the specifics, might just be winners and losers semis are bo5.

no it's top 8 (basically winners semis, losers semis, losers quarters and the round before losers quarters are also bo5)

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, SF is their main game. It has the most entrants and they always end on SF every year. I'm not really bothered by it.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Ignore me - I was looking at the wrong page of responses.

2003 Join Date
Still a n00b

Top Bottom