• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everything You Need to Know About Pikmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Curious to know if you're kill chart includes DI. If so, it may merit saving a usmash to kill SO early.

~Fino
The kill chart does not include DI. That's the kind of hardcore testing that, unfortunately, I don't have the time do do right now. >_<

RichBrown

Smash Master
If you can, I'd love to see info on which pikmin send an opponent which direction on which move.

For example, a Purple sends an opponent somewhat upward on a forward smash. This is important to note because On heavier characters, if you do the Dthrow-Fsmash combo, and that Fsmash is with a purple pikmin, the opponent isn't gonna go foward (allowing olimar to do a dashgrab) but instead will knock them up, allowing olimar to do a Nair combo or Usmash, or whatever.

I also know purple Dthrow sends opponents flying a little farther than they normally would. this always messes with my Dthrow combos.

If there is more info like this out there, I'd love to know about it. When it comes to my Dthrow combos, I don't really pay close attention to which pikmin I'm doing the throws with.

And yes, I know DI also affects whether or not a Dthrow combo is successful :)

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
If you can, I'd love to see info on which pikmin send an opponent which direction on which move.

For example, a Purple sends an opponent somewhat upward on a forward smash. This is important to note because On heavier characters, if you do the Dthrow-Fsmash combo, and that Fsmash is with a purple pikmin, the opponent isn't gonna go foward (allowing olimar to do a dashgrab) but instead will knock them up, allowing olimar to do a Nair combo or Usmash, or whatever.

I also know purple Dthrow sends opponents flying a little farther than they normally would. this always messes with my Dthrow combos.

If there is more info like this out there, I'd love to know about it. When it comes to my Dthrow combos, I don't really pay close attention to which pikmin I'm doing the throws with.

And yes, I know DI also affects whether or not a Dthrow combo is successful :)
Actually, with alot of dthrow combos, it is necessary to have the right color for as many as 3 pikmin back in your line. For instance, if you don't have any red, purple or white pikmin for 4 spaces back, you can pull off an incredible combo when most characters are at 0%:
Dthrow, hyphen smash, uair, double jump, uair.
It's as beautiful as falco's old double shine to dair combo in Melee, and on heavier opponents I'm almost certain it's a true combo with the right pikmin (preferably yellow).

This all ties into, as you said, how pikmin knock people around. I've been working on understanding this, too, and I will begin posting what I am almost certain is true for peer review in this guide as soon as I feel confident about my theories.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
A question: Do pikmin die, when they're touched by the lava on brinstar or Norfair?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
OK, I need to know that for my stage guide on the wolf boards. Thanks for the info

Viral-Enki

Smash Cadet
First post FTW.

Very nice guide, I learned alot about the purple pikmin.
The throws on purple are amazing.

I'm gonna start working on my Olimar, I just love him.

Shress

Smash Rookie
I believe it will be also good to note that Pikmin easily desynch and scatter on ice. They do tend to "slip" more than Olimar does, and will eventually be too far away to utilize while attacking. I think the only way to prevent slippery desynch is to jump on the ice often to maintain order easily.

Snail

Smash Lord
Then again, the only legal stage with ice is Pokémon Stadium 2 and that's only one transformation <_< So it's not a big deal.

Oh well, since this is supposed to be the big compendium of all pikmin knowledge, might as well add it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I looked through the thread again after seeing the weekly character discussion thread. I wanted to check through everything I knew. I noticed a few errors or things that could be explained a bit better. (I added my comments) Sorry for the nitpickyness. :ohwell:
Red Pikmin
Element: Fire
Durability: Normal
Important info: Red pikmin provide Olimar with the most powerful arial attacks. This is damage wise, not knockback wise. If you have ever KO'ed someone with an fair, you probably did it with a red pikmin. Any explosive is considered of the fire element. When thrown behind one of Snake's mines, a red pikmin will detonate it automatically upon returning, at no cost to itself. Red pikmin have first priority when Olimar whistles, always reordering to the front of the line. In my experience, it is possible to stagespike with a red pikmin at the edge of your tether. you can stage spike with any pikmin. It's just that whites and purples will stagespike characters that on the edge.

Yellow Pikmin
Element: Electricity
Durability: Normal
Important Info: Though lacking the strength of some other pikmin types, yellow pikmin have other ways of remaining potent. Like any electrical attacks (here's looking at you, Pikachu), all yellow attacks command very high priority, partly due to their ability to stun. I have been able to actually halt Kirby's down B (after he'd already turned into a rock) midair by uairing with a yellow pikmin, allowing me to escape from underneath it. Also, the hitboxes of all pikmin attacks are upgraded in size or become larger, lol when a yellow is used. For example: using a yellow pikmin, Olimar's upsmash has a significant increase in size, able to catch a grounded opponent in an upsmash when they are not even touching Olimar. It's range increases horizontally, not vertically. Since the upsmash still sweetspots at this distance this makes for a kill move that few expect. sweetspots or hits? When thrown, yellow pikmin will travel in a higher, more arcing trajectory than other pikmin, sending them a shorter distance at a higher angle. Yellow pikmin have second priority when Olimar whistles, reordering to the front of the line if red pikmin are absent.

Tactics: Bigger hitboxes mean bigger sweetspots. Coupled with their characteristic high priority, yellow pikmin are great for spikes and upsmashes. Uair is most effective when a yellow pikmin is used, as elaborated above. Learning to time your attacks a bit earlier when handling the larger hitboxes of yellows is important to the development of a good Olimar metagame.

There are two things to keep in mind about the higher trajectory of yellows:
Firstly, that yellows can easily latch an opponent who is camping the ledge.
Secondly, the SH pikmin throw technique is best performed if you have a yellow pikmin followed by another color of the latching variety. This is because, if done properly, the two pikmin which you have thrown will reach their intended target at the same time, thus maximizing the effeciency of the technique and allowing Olimar to perform it with limited space.

I'd talk about the prolonged hitstun yellows give.

Blue Pikmin
Element: Water
Durability: High
Important info: Beyond compare to the throws of most other pikmin, the back throw of a blue will kill a majority of opponents at around 140% on Final Destination. If you have one of these guys next in line, go for the grab, regardless: their grab range is the second longest of all pikmin. -same as white. Whites seem to have the longest grab range simply because they're small. Blues are the only pikmin that can actually swim; all other colors will drown after a short time in deep water. Blue pikmin have third priority when Olimar whistles, reordering to the front if both red and yellow pikmin are absent.

Tactics: Because both fthrow and bthrow are potential kill moves with blue pikmin, it's best to save both until you opponent is at a deathly percent. I recommend simply confining yourself to downthrow only until then. The reason for saving upthrow is made clear in the purple section. The backthrow of a blue pikmin is more powerful than its forward throw.

Purple Pikmin
Element: Normal
Durability: Very High
Important Info: Purple's are slow, heavy, and have short range. They make up for this with power, raw power. Purple pikmin have the most powerful ground attacks Olimar can use, knockback hitboxes that are slightly wider than those of other pikmin (except yellow), and a bunch of health to boot. The extra weight of purple pikmin also gives them the most powerful upthrow of any pikmin, more than a match for the fthrow and bthrow of blue pikmin, KOing fresh at around 115% on most characters (for the exact kill percent of a certain character, please view the chart below). Purple pikmin do not latch when thrown, instead, they become a high-priority projectile that wont stop unless shielded, multihit, or the pikmin is destroyed. This makes purples useful for stopping an opponent's advance or breaking an edgehog's grip, as well as punishing edgehogs with death; a purple on the tip of your tether will stagespike your gimping enemies into the abyss. Keep track of these guys in your line in order to adjust your game for their unique characteristics, otherwise, you may be in for a rude suprise when you find yourself sending a purple pikmin comically short of your intended target. Purples follow and sync with Olimar slower than any other pikmin; if a purple is next in line, its a good idea to make sure that he's keeping up with Olimar or you may whiff your next attack. It has to be the only pikmin in your line. Otherwise, Olimar will use the next in line. Purple pikmin have last priority when Olimar whistles, always reordering to the back of the line.

Tactics: Dsmash is the only move that purple pikmin will perform at the same speed and range as any other pikmin, while retaining the damage boost given to other purple smash attacks.

White Pikmin
Element: Poison
Durability: Very Low
Important Info: White pikmin don't have priority or knockback, health or weight. No, white pikmin are all about damage and speed. Latch a white pikmin onto an enemy and they will deal damage twice as fast as any other pikmin (totaling at up to 36% with a single latched white). 6x10=60% no? Olimar throws whites faster, farther, and with less arc than any other color. White pikmin have the most powerful pummel (grab A) attack and short (3-4% per hit)--though damaging--throws. They also have a grab distance exceeding that of even blue pikmin, (same as blues) and cover it faster than any other pikmin, as well. Keep track of your whites in your line; accidentally using one in a smash attack could ruin a golden opportunity for a KO. When on the tip of Olimar's tether, a white pikmin will stagespike an edgehogging opponent more easily than other colors. Also, whites are the quickest at following and syncing with Olimar. White pikmin have fourth priority, only reordering to the front if purple pikmin compose the remaining line.

Tactics: Because white pikmin have a particularly damaging pummel, try to get in the maximum number of hits when you grab with them.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I'm flattered that you came here to review your Olimar knowledge, DanGR, and that you're willing to contribute so extensively. Some of these things, however, I am uncertain about:

In my experience, reds have airials with noticeably greater knockback.

I am neigh positive that the entire bottom of a yellow-upsmash hitbox is, in fact, a sweetspot. Has it been tested to prove otherwise?

Are you suggesting that a Purple can knock someone back without doing damage?

Purples are capable of straying out of Olimar's reach while remaining synced, thus resulting in a whiffed attack (if the attack requires that Olimar grab the pikmin--I will include this in the guide).

Thank you for the input ^_^

RichBrown

Smash Master
reds do have greater knockback.

no idea about yellows.

purples are some slow muh fuggahz, and they actually can fall behind, causing olimar to whiff an attack.

purples are also capable of desynching :D

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm flattered that you came here to review your Olimar knowledge, DanGR, and that you're willing to contribute so extensively. Some of these things, however, I am uncertain about:
well, I learned/was proved wrong about a couple things. great guide. ^___^

In my experience, reds have airials with noticeably greater knockback.
well, richbrown has confirmed that, so... I guess I just haven't noticed. I don't use aerials to kill anyways. lol. So they do the most damage and have the most knockback? I guess so.

I am neigh positive that the entire bottom of a yellow-upsmash hitbox is, in fact, a sweetspot. Has it been tested to prove otherwise?
I'll test it out.

On most pikmin upsmashes, there IS a sweetspot. The sweetspot is right in front of Olimar. (maybe touching or inside, kind of like jiggs) I've gotten a purple upsmash to do something like 27-29%. I forget which. I'll test this out as well.

Are you suggesting that a Purple can knock someone back without doing damage?
"They make up for this with power, raw power. Purple pikmin have the most powerful ground attacks Olimar can use, knockback "

I was just saying that I would clarify "knockback" from "damage" You put "power", which in my mind at least, doesn't really say which. idk. w/e you want to do. no prob.

Purples are capable of straying out of Olimar's reach while remaining synced, thus resulting in a whiffed attack (if the attack requires that Olimar grab the pikmin--I will include this in the guide).
ah, ok.

I had originally put what I had to say inside the quote, and then colored it. I decided not to cuz it makes it hard to quote me if you wanted to. just an fyi.

RichBrown

Smash Master
i mighta missed it but squirtle isn't on the list of the purple Usmash/Uthrow kills. i think someone else might be missing too. sorry, I don't have this info currently.

Edit: I'm highly interested in what the kill percents are when an opponent is DIing perfectly. I might actually have time to test this this weekend. I'll probably get my little brother to do the upsmashing haha. If anyone could tell me what the best move/DI direction for each character (or whoever they know) that would be highly appreciated. I suck when it comes to DI lol

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
i mighta missed it but squirtle isn't on the list of the purple Usmash/Uthrow kills. i think someone else might be missing too. sorry, I don't have this info currently.

Edit: I'm highly interested in what the kill percents are when an opponent is DIing perfectly. I might actually have time to test this this weekend. I'll probably get my little brother to do the upsmashing haha. If anyone could tell me what the best move/DI direction for each character (or whoever they know) that would be highly appreciated. I suck when it comes to DI lol

I must admit, smash DI is a big factor that my chart doesn't include. I would be happy to include a new chart in a quotation on the guide if you would be happy to do the proper testing (I have college johns).

RichBrown

Smash Master
lol, college johns here as well, but like I said I'll be in vegas, and there is one night I'm stuck in my hotel watching my brothers and I won't be doing anything at all, so I might as well do something mindless like this, as I think it would be a huge asset for the Olimar community. While I'm fully aware of how powerful purple pikmin upsmash is (4th strongest in the game!) it never really occured to me that I should be saving my upsmash for really early KOs around 80-90 percent. I usually rely on my throws for KOs so it's nice to have other options.

Soooo what is the most proper, fundamental way to DI when hit by Usmash? Someone enlighten me as if I was totally new to smash haha

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
lol, college johns here as well, but like I said I'll be in vegas, and there is one night I'm stuck in my hotel watching my brothers and I won't be doing anything at all, so I might as well do something mindless like this, as I think it would be a huge asset for the Olimar community. While I'm fully aware of how powerful purple pikmin upsmash is (4th strongest in the game!) it never really occured to me that I should be saving my upsmash for really early KOs around 80-90 percent. I usually rely on my throws for KOs so it's nice to have other options.

Soooo what is the most proper, fundamental way to DI when hit by Usmash? Someone enlighten me as if I was totally new to smash haha
Smash DI is most effective if you smash the direction pad and the c-stick in the opposite direction of an attack's knockback at the exact moment that the knockback goes into effect. After this, immediately do the shortest arial you possibly can and begin DIing downwards (with repeated taps, not holding down the sticks), or downwards when it's upsmash.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
I found something interesting with the pikmen pluck move the other day. i dont know it is already known but whatever ill contribute anyways. what i did was right you pick the pikmen(right when you hit the b button) do a smash in any direction. if you have no pikmen you will use the one you just plucked to do a smash immediatly. and you can pick them and smash at the same time. just something thats cool i noticed. not too big.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I found something interesting with the pikmen pluck move the other day. i dont know it is already known but whatever ill contribute anyways. what i did was right you pick the pikmen(right when you hit the b button) do a smash in any direction. if you have no pikmen you will use the one you just plucked to do a smash immediatly. and you can pick them and smash at the same time. just something thats cool i noticed. not too big.
Ah, yes. Pikmin pluck canceling is what that's called. It's known, but I don't think I included it in the guide. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Touche1991

Smash Rookie
Very nice, organize and helpful guide ;). I'm just starting to play with Olimar, and I try to organize some strategy from the order of my pikmins, but now with all this new info, I think I can improve faster. Thanks a lot ;)

Fungrix

Smash Rookie
Okay, maybe I read this wrong... but what's this about Pikmin latching refreshing Olimar's moves? What magic is this? Has it been tested? Can I purposely spam my smashes with the knowledge that I can refresh them?

Oh, by the way - excellent guide. I've been maining Olimar ever since I picked him up and I've had no end of fun beating people who underestimate him - and despite my experience, I've still learnt a lot from the guide.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Okay, maybe I read this wrong... but what's this about Pikmin latching refreshing Olimar's moves? What magic is this? Has it been tested? Can I purposely spam my smashes with the knowledge that I can refresh them?

Oh, by the way - excellent guide. I've been maining Olimar ever since I picked him up and I've had no end of fun beating people who underestimate him - and despite my experience, I've still learnt a lot from the guide.
It's as true as you would like it to be: every time that pikmin on you opponent hits them, your moves refresh. And thank you.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's as true as you would like it to be: every time that pikmin on you opponent hits them, your moves refresh. And thank you.
I was pretty sure that it only refreshes your attacks once- only the initial latch, not any of the hits the pikmin deals.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
I didn't see this any where, but why is it that sometimes when I try to pluck pikmin they come out REALLY slow...... It lasts for like the whole match.

NorrYtt

Smash Cadet
Are the red pikmin immune to fire? If Bowser is barfing fire at me, can I throw a red pikmin at him and it will latch on and pummel him?

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely great thread. I love the technicolor. Great info. How reliable is that kill chart? Has any1 verified? But overall great thread!!!! :)

Snail

Smash Lord
Absolutely great thread. I love the technicolor. Great info. How reliable is that kill chart? Has any1 verified? But overall great thread!!!! :)
The kill chart doesn't take DI into account, meaning that the killing percentages will be a little higher against skilled players. This is perfectly accurate if your opponent doesn't DI, though.

Waza

Smash Apprentice
Great Guide! I did notice something missing, but i may be that i just discovered it.

It happened by accident, but here goes... We all know now that the yellow pikmin absorb/immune to electricity. Well i was fighting a Ness and Lucas yesterday and came across something quite interesting. Apparently if you latch a yellow pikmin onto a recovering Ness or Lucas (using their "electric" up-b), the pikmin not only absorbs the lightning bolt that comes out (causing lucas or ness to plummet) they keep doing so until its too late for him to recover. (i dont have vids 'cause they were friendlies, but you can try this out pretty easily)

I did this several times to a Ness/Lucas player i frequently play with and it worked everytime (unless he used another aerial to knock the pikmin off first). But because they are usually so focused on recovering they set themselves up so that thats all they can do, and that's your chance to latch a yellow on.

Happy Hunting. :chuckle:

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Great Guide! I did notice something missing, but i may be that i just discovered it.

It happened by accident, but here goes... We all know now that the yellow pikmin absorb/immune to electricity. Well i was fighting a Ness and Lucas yesterday and came across something quite interesting. Apparently if you latch a yellow pikmin onto a recovering Ness or Lucas (using their "electric" up-b), the pikmin not only absorbs the lightning bolt that comes out (causing lucas or ness to plummet) they keep doing so until its too late for him to recover. (i dont have vids 'cause they were friendlies, but you can try this out pretty easily)

I did this several times to a Ness/Lucas player i frequently play with and it worked everytime (unless he used another aerial to knock the pikmin off first). But because they are usually so focused on recovering they set themselves up so that thats all they can do, and that's your chance to latch a yellow on.

Happy Hunting. :chuckle:
Very nice discovery, what effect does it have on them when they are using Pk thunder blast thing? Will they stop or go? Will the Pikmin stop the Pk Thunder like it did in their recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom