• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever unintentionally get a player salty on For Glory salty?

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
This actually happens to me quite a bit. I'll just be playing and beating my opponent pretty badly, then they'll switch their tag to some angry message or they'll just stop moving. I usually take it as a morale boost to know that I'm good enough to make someone hate me without really trying.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I beat a Marth today as Wario three times in a row and didn't taunt or spam at all. After the third match he changed his name to "U SUCK KID", "KILLURSELF", and "UR OP AF" (AF= As f***), even after I said "GG". If he thinks Wario is OP, I'd hate to see what he says about Diddy Kong, Rosalina, and ZSS.

GMan1255

Smash Cadet
I'm(College Student) a Pit main and I recently pissed off my brother(MiddleSchoolStudent). My brother and I usually spar occasionally and we usually go pretty even. But I usually don't play Pit against my brother because Pit is my main. When I play Pit, my win rate increases 9 to 1. The two of us have been playing together since Melee, so my brother though young- is quite experienced.

So I started playing my Pit and I won a lot of matches while losing a few. My brother starts to breathe angrily, and I can sense his saltiness. I turned the game off because we had been smashing for 3 hours and my brother was getting way too salty. My brother yelled at me on how OP Pit is, and I tell him straight, "Pit is not OP. You're just too salty and can't deal with it. Face it, you can't beat my Pit the way you are. You need to calm down and try again later."
My brother replied, "You Face it-" I cut him off, "Face what!? I just whoop your *** fair and square, now calm yourself."
My brother shouted, "****in Pit's recovery is op, and his Side-B has that stupid Super armor. I can't do anything against him!"

I kept telling my brother how Pit isn't op and that he can't beat my Pit if he keeps playing the way he is. He needs to calm down and rethink his strategy. In the end, my brother leaves angrily with salt just showering on his head. t felt terrible destroying my brother with my Pit.

If I was in his situations, of course I'd be mad I mean- losing sucks. It's understandable to be frustrated, but getting salty can literally "self-destruct" us. So I stay calm so that even though I may not win; I can hope to learn from it.
Tell him G&W has the "key" to stopping Pit's recovery ;p

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I two-stocked a guy who changed his name to USUCK, then two-stocked him twice more after that before he quit. Wasn't even using a high-tier or spammy character.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I was using Captain Falcon against this guy's R.O.B. I take off one stock and then he SD's. When I get back to the menu, his tag name is "SPAMMER". He called me a spammer, even though I was using Falcon, he was R.O.B., and he kept rolling everywhere...

D

Deleted member 269706

The other day I was playing a match, ended up beating the guy once because he SD'd so I played him again, and managed to beat him. I said "Good Game!" in the tag, and he changed his name to "NO", quickly succeeded by "F_CK Y_U" and then he left. If I'm not mistaken, I was playing as either Falcon or Pit, so I certainly wasn't doing anything too anger inducing. Oh well.

theflaminggamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflaminggamer2
I played a customs match with a Shulk set I made to be purposely overpowered as a joke, and had my mic. taken away and the host left the loby. The next match, I was just screwing around and somehow I won. More insults came and I beat everyone in the lobby out of sheer annoyance in the next few matches, and they all disconected. I was cracking up in the end Though.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Pff, it's pretty much impossible not to unintentionally get people salty on FG as long as your winrate consistently stays above ~65%. In my case, it's especially effortless, since every character I use on FG (:4rob::4pacman::4bowserjr:) tend to be "campy," zoning characters, which often makes heavies and Captain Falcon players quite salty.

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
In my case, it's especially effortless, since every character I use on FG (:4rob::4pacman::4bowserjr:) tend to be "campy," zoning characters, which often makes heavies and Captain Falcon players quite salty.
In my opinion, there needs to be more of those three characters. A large portion of the people who play rushdown and powerhouse characters online really need to learn that they can't always approach recklessly, and zoners are what they need to learn how to beat in order for that to happen.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just now, I fought this user who played characters like Sheik, Ness, Zero Suit Samus, etc. A majority of those matches I 2-stocked him and then he would switch to projectile characters and spam...well...projectiles (I don't know if I should be offended that he even picked Mega Man just for this very reason, considering I'm a dedicated Mega Man main myself). After like 6 or so matches, he finally decided his time was up.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I've played a guy who I lost more than 8 games in a row. Then, I won two in a row, and he was gone.
I also played a Japanese Lucina who lost its first stock and then SD'd. I don't think it was connection, because it was Lagless for me!

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
I wish i knew how to upload my recordings from my wii u and 3ds.

One, i was Kirby and i was facing a ZSS. I started with dair, then grab f throw, fair, dair, footstool, dair and he was gone. He respawned, stayed on the spawn for a few seconds and then ran off and SD'd. I never beat someone so fast before. Kirby all the way!

Another was against a villager and i was yoshi. At first he was keeping me out fairly well but eventually i got in and once i did i went completely nuts and spiked him. He respawned ran to the edge gave 2 "ducks" then jumped off the edge. That may have been more of a surrender than ragequit but i still thought it was pretty funny.

People imo give up to easily. I fought a japanese Kirby with my Rob and he decimated my first stock without taking a single hit, but i bought it all the way back and ended up winning. I recorded that one too for future reference on what to look out for from kirby and i wanted to face him again but he left. It's too bad, he was really good :(

Tradermon

Smash Rookie
I once fought an Ike player online, and I figured "hey, i play ike too, lets do some dittos". Once I switched, he began to crouch spam and taunt spam a lot, and i'm guessing i made him salty even though he was winning lol. I checked and he even went as far to report me and block me. I don't get why people get salty over friendlies where they aren't meant to be taken seriously -.-

Arrei

Smash Lord
I once fought an Ike player online, and I figured "hey, i play ike too, lets do some dittos". Once I switched, he began to crouch spam and taunt spam a lot, and i'm guessing i made him salty even though he was winning lol. I checked and he even went as far to report me and block me. I don't get why people get salty over friendlies where they aren't meant to be taken seriously -.-
It's stupid, but a negative stigma has become attached to dittos on FG due to a lot of people attempting to beat people with their mains after losing, as if to prove they lost to the character and not the player. So I guess you could say he got preemptively salty.

I think the only mirrors that don't cause this kind of reaction are Falcondorf dittos, as the community-embraced "style" and "disrespect" fighters.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I believe I may have made people unintentionally salty in the past, but then again people get salty at me for just winning.

I mean it's not like I have any of the bad habits you may find on For Glory (only spamming, roll spam, etc) and it's not like I Taunt all the time. In fact I barely Taunt at all unless my opponent does so first, so I can't really understand why I get as much salt as I tend to get.

One of my most notable experiences with "Unintentional Salt" would be from long ago against this player who used a variety of characters. He always started off with Taunt greetings and I returned them, and we both always said "GG/Good Game" to each other. He lost every single match with me, and eventually he just sort of stopped saying "GG" and Taunt saluting and even began to Taunt KOs.

Eventually he must of had enough, told me "U SUCK", and then left. I was... Quite confused. I thought we were having fun...

Last edited:

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
It happened for me a couple of weeks ago. This guy on Wii U who went by Andy (his tag) played my Shulk with Zelda. I dominated him the whole game until near the end, when I started making mistakes due to lag and he narrowly won. I'm thinking that it was an okay match and that I would replay him and win, so I go to the ready screen right away.

Instead of continuing with me, this guy goes on this disturbing tirade (using tags), saying I'm a lag-cheater (which I'm not, plus I have 150 mbs internet), an idiot, psycho, useless, pathetic, etc. And he also claimed to report me and then dropped from the match once he used up every second he could to insult me.

I would have been angry about it if it wasn't so bizzare that I had to laugh. I wish people wouldn't be like this guy.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I would have been angry about it if it wasn't so bizzare that I had to laugh. I wish people wouldn't be like this guy.
Eternal salt fountains like that guy are exactly why I stopped getting bothered by people insulting me in tags, actually. The idea that these people have a big list of insults ready to go suggests that these people routinely get thrashed hard enough to need them on hand, and that losing gets them so bothered that they feel the need to sit there for 40 full seconds furiously fiddling with a name menu while I just turn away and surf the web on my computer as they run out the timer, began to amuse me greatly. Plus the fact that none of them seem to realize that insulting someone's skills after losing to them makes them even worse than whatever feeble demeaning insult they attempted to sling at them. After all, who is worse, the "bad", or the one who loses to the bad?

It's even better if I catch them doing it before I confirm my character select, because that's when I get to goad them on.

Last edited:

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
Remember a while back when I played with some guy with my Falco and I was beating him soo many times that after a 0-death, I just tried to take his last stock using ONLY D-Airs and after getting him to about 150% using only D-Airs, he just walked off the cliff and in the character select he called me some names (Which were well deserved tbh) and left... Sorry...

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I do recall this guy calling me a try hard after bopping him a few times with various secondaries and pockets, despite never going my main even once. I mean of course I'm gonna try to win, it's FG.

I also ended up making this guy salty with my Wario. I was reading him near perfectly with Chomp and was basically controlling all the matches I had with him. He finally beat me, taunted, then immediately dipped.

And back in the days of when I mained prepatch Marth, I ran into this Toon Link, and pretty much every match went to sudden death because matchups were VERY hard with prepatch Marth against any sort of projectile character. I won every sudden death round until the 5th match. He proceeded to switch his tag between "Loser" and "XD" before leaving.

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I believe I may have made people unintentionally salty in the past, but then again people get salty at me for just winning.

I mean it's not like I have any of the bad habits you may find on For Glory (only spamming, roll spam, etc) and it's not like I Taunt all the time. In fact I barely Taunt at all unless my opponent does so first, so I can't really understand why I get as much salt as I tend to get.

One of my most notable experiences with "Unintentional Salt" would be from long ago against this player who used a variety of characters. He always started off with Taunt greetings and I returned them, and we both always said "GG/Good Game" to each other. He lost every single match with me, and eventually he just sort of stopped saying "GG" and Taunt saluting and even began to Taunt KOs.

Eventually he must of had enough, told me "U SUCK", and then left. I was... Quite confused. I thought we were having fun...
Were you the one that posted that story about a Greninja that kept ledge camping? That was hilarious!

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
I recently played against someone using Shiek (I was using Shulk). He played like someone trying to emulate high-level play, but wasn't good enough to sell it, so I took his first stock before he got me to 50%. As soon as he respawned, he jumped off and quit lol. No respect for someone who is obviously fishing for an easy game to show off in a Youtube montage.

crustacean

Smash Rookie
Ive played matches where all I did was win one match and people got salty.
Ive played matches where all I did was lose one match and people got salty.
Ive played matches where I picked my favorite character and people got salty.
Ive played matches where I pick my second least favorite character and people got salty. (Im not picking Yoshi, ever.)
I'm convinced this is just an online salt simulator, worse than the likes of Mario Kart 8. There is literally nothing you can do that wont piss off someone at some point, hell I'm pretty sure just turning on the system and booting the game pisses someone off somewhere.

TheGlamourGroup

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGlamourGroup
3DS FC
4012-5262-5536
I remember one time I was Mario against a Marth, and for the whole match I rolled around the stage and I kept avoiding all of his attacks. The 5 minutes were up and in sudden death I suicided lol.

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
I had a Lucas say to me "UR BAD" or "U BAD". I don't remember.

But to be fair, I was playing Kirby and I took out his first stock with the charged hammer and the second with the last hit of Down Air to another Down Air to footstool.

That and I am pretty bad.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
That's every other game, tbh. People get upset all the time whenever I face them for some reason, lol. Insults through name-tag changes and the like; it's a bit disappointing.

It's even better that I play with such a low tier character (Char) and 2-stock a Captain Falcon, for example. Then the sparks start flying. I don't see why people get upset over it really, I just play online to have fun. Losing or winning doesn't really matter to me, enjoying the match is what matters the most. If I win then hey, it's a victory. If I lose, then I'm not really stressing over it. Just play them again; maybe I'll learn something from them. Maybe that makes me a bit more of a casual in a sense, haha.

IMO having fun > getting salty over a loss or two.
That's mainly cause other ******** are too busy trying to rub their s*** in the losers' faces.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I run into this with any game dedicated to online play. I get called a spammer, bad, usuck, stuff like that. I recently got pokken tournament now it's like I'm running into one ragequitter a session despite there being a rankings system!
Let's face it, online competition brings out the worst in people.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Just happened yesterday. Played a guy who cycled between Yoshi, Dedede, and Dr. Mario. I won most games, lost one or two. Time came for him to leave and he flashed me a LASTONE tag, and having seen his character switch pattern by now I figured he'd be pulling out Dedede. So I pulled out the good King myself and began by facing the camera and crouching, as was customary for a meeting of the Kings.

He attacked me. And called me a jerk before leaving.

Weep for humanity today, mortals. The king is dead.

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Face it, practically everyone is such an ***wipe nowadays. Either you win, or you lose, there's always salt and disrespect mixed in this hellhole.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Yes I have one time. It went on for a couple of rounds, with us cycling to different characters. His name was Kyle, and before he left, he gave me these tags.

"DISGRACE"
"USE"
"REAL"
"CHARACTERS"
"RAYMOND"
"KYS"

Apparently :4feroy: is not a real character. He's the type of dude that tea bags and taunts every time I die. Thing is, only his partner killed me, and I won all the rounds we've played.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Not sure if it counts as salt, but almost every opponent I verse switches characters every game. I normally two stock them and take sub 100% so I suspect they may be constantly switching until they find a character they can beat me with. This didn't happen as much when I used to play and not win as hard as I do now.

Last edited:

Machii

Smash Apprentice
I play with the tag "TS-GM-SCKS" because it's true of FG, and I'm sure its funny for opponents to see someone with that tag casually implementing Bidou pivot techs.

Top Bottom