• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever get frustrated....

oncearunner

Smash Apprentice
...when you play with your friends at home who are vastly inferior to your playing skills but since you play then all the time they have figured out how to keep up/beat you with repetitive moves.

i was playing a stint tonight with my buds, it was 2v2 and im the best, i like playing with the weakest freind, so its a challenge. well my partner sucks, i look over and 4 stocks are gone in a minute and a half. meanwhile i keep missing my knees/grabs cuz this other kid just keep frekin spotdodging, and when he isnt he is throwing out fsmashs or rolling. thats all he does, him and his partner while im sitting here trying to learn to dair combo better, moonwalk, etc

its so frustrating i just through down my controller, ranted at them for a few seconds and walked out

:mad:

/rant

TheLake

Smash Master
Eh it happens, we all get pissed playing the game we love...just do what joe would from family guy

"You get in there and you kick that fish's ***!"

But seriously there will always be other times for buttwhopings. The manner in which you earn said butwhoping may require some alteration in playing style though. Just keep a level head. If you really are better it will show. If your not then your not...we all have our days

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Gaaah don't worry. I'm tons of levels higher than my brother, but because we can play everyday he can beat me. I mean beat me terribly. (Darn those Peach downsmashes and Turnip Camp!)

oncearunner

Smash Apprentice
i just get so frustrated cuz i want to be better. and we used to play alot, and they have gotten better, but not for their wavedashing (which i showed them how to do) or that they now l cancel (showed them) and tech (taught by me as well) but rather they do the cheapest mother s**t in the game

ugh

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
They can play technical, but you can play smart. That is what you should look out for and maybe you'll see some sort of improvements in your gaming.

My brother doesn't do any advance crap, but his Peach is ****. Turnip camping, heavy pressure, down smash punish. He always keep a distance though.

The true reason why one cannot win is that they can't space from their opponents well enough. You shouldn't always be approaching or running away, but what you should do is keep a good spacing and play smart.

Good luck next time, don't forget to have fun. ;)

oncearunner

Smash Apprentice
They can play technical, but you can play smart. That is what you should look out for and maybe you'll see some sort of improvements in your gaming.

My brother doesn't do any advance crap, but his Peach is ****. Turnip camping, heavy pressure, down smash punish. He always keep a distance though.

The true reason why one cannot win is that they can't space from their opponents well enough. You shouldn't always be approaching or running away, but what you should do is keep a good spacing and play smart.

Good luck next time, don't forget to have fun. ;)
i dont think you grasp what im saying

this is a common scenario, i run in to jumpcancel grab, he spotdodges, downsmashes. i go up to attack him coming on stage, he air dodges, i miss, we land, i SFFL a knee, he spotdodges, rolls, and fsmashs, then its the grapple throw grapple throw ledge guard

im the technical one shffling knees and dairs with falcon, but all they do is sheild and dodge, or roll

its annoying!

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
...when you play with your friends at home who are vastly inferior to your playing skills but since you play then all the time they have figured out how to keep up/beat you with repetitive moves.

i was playing a stint tonight with my buds, it was 2v2 and im the best, i like playing with the weakest freind, so its a challenge. well my partner sucks, i look over and 4 stocks are gone in a minute and a half. meanwhile i keep missing my knees/grabs cuz this other kid just keep frekin spotdodging, and when he isnt he is throwing out fsmashs or rolling. thats all he does, him and his partner while im sitting here trying to learn to dair combo better, moonwalk, etc

its so frustrating i just through down my controller, ranted at them for a few seconds and walked out

:mad:

/rant
This is why I always say "it's just a game".

If he can beat you 1v1 even using the same moves over and over, then he is better, because he would have won.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
If he's spot dodging, then he's obviously the camper. Like I said, spacing. You're approaching so he's assuming that you're going to SHFFL on him. What you should do is camp for yourself. Let him exchange attacks and punish him for his mistake.

Even run at the end of the stage and, "Show me your moves!" (Because that's mindgames)

If it's anything specific, maybe a video if you could record some. Just start playing smart, because if you can go for Knees and your opponent spot dodges, you'll know he'll go for a spot dodge next time you go for a knee so alter your attack patterns.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
He's a noob because he beat you without abusing the glitches?

Yeah I called them glitches ;P

So basically all he did was dodge and crap until he could get a move in on you and then repeat?

TheLake

Smash Master
He's a noob because he beat you without abusing the glitches?

Yeah I called them glitches ;P

So basically all he did was dodge and crap until he could get a move in on you and then repeat?
UGHH YOU MONSTER!!! *Has a heart attack*

Oh right im not dead good...Yeah everything cereal rabbit (sweet name by the way) is saying is true. This happens to me all the time (Man I hate spot dodging...ok thats not true at all) just try mixing things up. First of all quit spamming knees if there not working, try using the Nair or the stomp. Anyways yeah just relax. Having fun is the most important step (Unless your doing a MM then WIN WIN WIN!!)

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Thanks...
I love Rabbits and Cereal. But I rather not eat Rabbits.....

Good Luck next time Oncearunner. It was just a bad day. Emotions can really affect gameplay. They cloud up your thoughts and you totally forget about spacing, playing smart. All you want to do is get a hit and KO your opponent. Then before you know it, you start losing the match.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
- -|| I had the same problem a few months ago, my technical skill was miles ahead of any of my friends, yet because I had played them so much my style was learned by them. Any knee I tried was avoided, same with my grab attempts. There is an easy way to punish this...SCREW WITH THEIR MINDS! Wavedance and dashdance around with empty SHFFLs, this keeps them guessing. A spotdodge can be punished by a Nair followed up by a grab. Change your style while you play, you could spam Fairs one minute, then dashdance around the stage another, so when you come in with an empty SHFFL, they spotdodge, theres no knee, and you have an opportunity to counterattack. If they love the ground, try to keep them in the air as long as possible! the Uair does wonders for this. Pretty much what all this is about is out-thinking them and using your technical advantage to your benefit. Lastly, if they learn your style, learn theirs too. Hope this helps ^ ^;;.

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
I had and experience like that whenever I play these two guys at my school 1v1
All the ever do is spot dodge, roll behind and dsmash with dr mario, and it drives me ****in nuts. It's extra frustrating when I play with CF. with the captain just throw out nairs to grab and like that one guy said, go to the end of the stage and just taunt
or play with marth and win all your games

Miharu

Smash Hero
It's all about what mindset you are in when playing. If you're calm, you should be able to more easily realize that he's just spamming the same repetitive **** over and over again, and punish him for it. It happens to me at times as well, and I usually just take a break for a bit, and let my mind rest for a bit. Afterwards, it's mostly about taking the game a step slower, and analyzing their playstyles, and figuring what you were doing wrong.

Just don't let the frustration get to you, and you'll be fine.

Starshade

Smash Rookie
If you play the same person a lot, they're bound to figure out what you're doing. I just try to switch up my strategy as much as I can to keep my opponent on his toes. As for the people you play with, try different tactics. You can stay away and wait for them to come to you, or you can make them think you're going to attack them without actually doing it. Either way, this will force them to something different, and that's when you can show 'em your moves.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Just switch it up. If you are playing somone for real and they beat you using repetitive moves, even if they are easy to do, then they should have won because you should have switched it up but didn't.

oncearunner

Smash Apprentice
oncearunner! you should visit the north side of houston sometimes :p
lol maybe, ive been low on money lately cuz i havent been waitin tables so the gas would be killer, althought i might be going to tgms house for the jan tourney. ill hit u up ifi decide to come over during the break

I had and experience like that whenever I play these two guys at my school 1v1
All the ever do is spot dodge, roll behind and dsmash with dr mario, and it drives me ****in nuts. It's extra frustrating when I play with CF. with the captain just throw out nairs to grab and like that one guy said, go to the end of the stage and just taunt
or play with marth and win all your games
yeep, its the **** marios they use. i can punish any other of their chars, but when they use the dr (the only player he can be) and reg mario (he will switch to sheik if i switch to y.link of course so he always gets the advantage) i cant hit them

spot dodge
dsmash
roll
fsmash

i cant stand not winning...to ppl that i kno r worse than me. if ur better than me, fine, but i cant stand losing to noob bulls**t

MagiMaster

Smash Apprentice
From the things you say, you are a really offensive player. Before learning technical skills, you should learn adaptation. I have a friend that doesn't play technical, but he is very good and smart at his not advanced way of playing.

Don't just run and short hop a knee.... it becomes obvious. Instead do something that they can't get away from. Roll and spot dodge? Grab em.. after the grab do a combo or something but don't let them reach the ground. Up throw -> Up smash uair uai Knee or w/e (assuming you only play falcon)

AAP

Smash Journeyman
I can feel some of your pain, i think one of the hardest thing to do when you're playing against noobs is Patience.

In your mind you know you can mop the floor with them so you go charging in just to get dodged and shielded until you show a slight vulnerability and they capitalize. So i'd say the best approach is to bait them into attacking or spam projectiles. Either way PATIENCE..and essentially what hydro kyrby said.

All else fails play their noob games and just spam links up-b and projectiles now thats fun!! (jk)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah, if they can beat you by using the same moves over and over, you aren't better than them.

You may be more technically proficient, and you may be able to beat people they can't, but they have a skill you don't--being able to pick up on other people's play style. If they beat you by doing x over and over, and you can't find your own counter to it over the course of the match, then ...<_<

I play against my brother all the time as well. He uses sheik, I use doc and fox. He goes through phases of owning me, to which I see why and change my style. He loses like 4-5 games, and can counter the new style, and I have to constantly adapt my game. It's frustrating, but until you can do it you can't really claim to be better than them.

XmeX565

Smash Cadet
it happens.
every time my brother plays with his friends, ( and they like are not good) they keep on saying "your cheap" and all he is doing to using really good moves, they even this wavedashing is cheap. so all he does is not play with them. it works
so people can be wicked annoying
its annoying

Smo

Smash Journeyman
Umm... if they beat you everytime, they might just be better.

Don't be afraid to play "cheap". It's not cheap, it's a good strategy.

Mindgames. Force them to do things you want them to do. Try and control the game..

Top Bottom