• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Event Mode Can Be Brutal

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yeah, I made a custom Kirby for that event, but then found out I couldn't use it. I ended up using it to beat the Final Battle event on Hard, though.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Kirby's Crazy Appetite: Auto Healer, Caloric Speedster/Immortal and Food Lover basically turns the event into a cakewalk. Pun intended. Like really, a set of mine with Caloric Immortal, Caloric Speedster, and Food Lover won me the event with tons of time to spare (and stupid low stats but whatever).
Yeah, this would be awesome, except that one doesn't allow customs.

KCA was the last Event I cleared w/ Rewards. I spent hours on it over a few days, and I never seemed to be getting better, and then just one time everything worked out for me to the point that I cleared it with 31 seconds left. Pure dumb luck is all I can say. Inhaled the DDD at the top right immediately, then paused frequently to see where food was (looked closely for chicken/turkey, as it heals a bunch, and also the gift boxes). I lucked out where I swear two gift boxes appeared next to each other. Anyway, with DDD powers, use inhale to eat food that's right in front of you, but pick it up normally if the DDDs are hounding you and GTFO of dodge ASAP. Anyway, if this one seems hopeless, just keep at it, because I distinctly remember the round before my Success round I finished with like 60% left to go. It's a very luck based challenge. (it also helps if you have a huge TV)

For Final FINAL Battle, I had a vampire badged Ganondorf (with a super brawn badge and something defensive to offset the losses there). It's still a major pain, but getting back a hefty amount of your % with a well timed f-smash is convenient as hell, and a decently charged f-smash that connects on Sonic was able to knock him out at 0%.

For All Star: Secrets Hard, I had a vampire badged Ike and won (don't remember the other badges). His up special is fairly handy when you're falling back down and they're itching to keep juggling you, and his neutral special is good when they start getting close. Still tough, but I was consistently getting to the end of the match.

For Robotic Rampage, I don't remember how, but I got him to jump off the platform to his own death in like the opening 5 seconds. Pure dumb luck, the other ROBs & I did "something" that confused the AI and he was unable to recover. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most other ones that I found tough I only beat from getting a bit more practice in, at least the ones I remember.

pmort

Smash Cadet
For All Star: Secrets Hard, I had a vampire badged Ike and won (don't remember the other badges). His up special is fairly handy when you're falling back down and they're itching to keep juggling you, and his neutral special is good when they start getting close. Still tough, but I was consistently getting to the end of the match.
Actually, in hindsight, not sure these ones allow customs? Anyway, I do remember using Ike and he got the job done.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
The All Star and Final Battle events do allow customs, and yes, the Vampire Brawn badge is amazingly effective for those.

DKUmaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
DKUmaro
Well then. I forgot food heals more damage when inhaled, no wonder I kept losing Kirby's Crazy Appetite. Finally beat it on hard just now after a few tries.

And with that I did all the events plus rewards challenges. Honestly the only other one that had me raging was defeating two giant Warios with WFT. Eventually just abused equipment on that one.
After I tried to drive them out of border with their bikes (which failed hard). I found out that running attack is really good. With some little timing its super easy to toss them out.

They are heavy so they did not fly very high/wide and landed nearly right away but repeating the running attack of WFT helps big time. It made me laugh hard how easy it was afterwards and I can beat it now every time without breaking a sweat. ;)

Kirbys Crazy Appetite was hard too, but i got better everytime and beat that on hard. If only someone could have said that inhaling DDD helps. :/

Missing some character and thus also missing some events. I'm not a good player, but think that they are enough of a challenge without being too frustrating.

BlueEyesMew

Smash Rookie
I finally cleared all of the solo reward conditions today and I can't help but think "never again!" about quite a number of them. Surprisingly as hard it it was, The FINAL Final Battle felt much fairer than a lot of the other events. If the damage and/or knockback is increased for that then it certainly didn't seem anywhere near as noticeable as many of the other events, particularly the previous one.

On the other hand I regret attempting the Duck Hunt event after having already cleared about a third of the solo events on one sitting - I was already stressed out before I even attempted it. By the time I succeeded, well let's just say this is the first time I can remember a Super Smash Bros. game making me violently angry (almost literally). Did anyone find themself using the item drops in that event to their advantage? Personally I found them to be a hinderance and had to keep tossing them offstage to keep Falco from using them against me.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I also finished all of the event reward conditions yesterday. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, though several of them made me rage pretty hard. I ended up getting lucky a lot - I beat several of the time limits with less than a second to spare.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
From what I've seen, only two solo event matches do not allow the use of customizations. They're "It's Past Your Bedtime!" and "Kirby's Crazy Appetite".

For "It's Past Your Bedtime!", Jigglypuff needs to have Sing to complete that event.

As for "Kirby's Crazy Appetite", auto-healing equipment would end up sidestepping the objective of that event.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Well, after losing all my data and having to do all the events on hard/reward conditions again, I can safely say that the worst is Robotic Rampage. The enemy ROB pretty much kills you in one hit. Managed to win by spamming uptilt to rack up quick damage, and using UAir to just barely knock him off the top of the screen.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
From what I've seen, only two solo event matches do not allow the use of customizations. They're "It's Past Your Bedtime!" and "Kirby's Crazy Appetite".

For "It's Past Your Bedtime!", Jigglypuff needs to have Sing to complete that event.

As for "Kirby's Crazy Appetite", auto-healing equipment would end up sidestepping the objective of that event.
You will also not receive any items, like Bats, from equipment. I tried that on the Metaknight vs Marth mission.

Edit: I just read the entire thread, and this is easily the saltiest place on smashboards atm. XD

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You will also not receive any items, like Bats, from equipment. I tried that on the Metaknight vs Marth mission.

Edit: I just read the entire thread, and this is easily the saltiest place on smashboards atm. XD
You can still use the item-holding equipment, but their extra effects will just be negated, much like how the First Striker equipment doesn't do anything against Master Hand.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
You can still use the item-holding equipment, but their extra effects will just be negated, much like how the First Striker equipment doesn't do anything against Master Hand.
Yeah, I meant that. You can still play as that custom character, you just won't be holding a bat.

Folt

Smash Ace
I just stayed near the edge and threw them out until I killed them or they suicided by bike. Helps that the mirror makes it more easily for me to see what I'm doing out there.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I somehow managed to beat the last event pn hard with normal Mac only. this is what happened:

I get comboed to 80%.
I spam smash Attacks and Mega Man SDs
I hit Pac and Sonic with KO Punch, killing Sonic.
I DMash Mario off the edge and he SDs in a clear case where he coukld have gotten back.
I Fsmash Pac Man and win. 43 seconds, WTF just happened.

So pretty much pure luck.

Last edited:

pmort

Smash Cadet
I somehow managed to beat the last event pn hard with normal Mac only. this is what happened:

I get comboed to 80%.
I spam smash Attacks and Mega Man SDs
I hit Pac and Sonic with KO Punch, killing Sonic.
I DMash Mario off the edge and he SDs in a clear case where he coukld have gotten back.
I Fsmash Pac Man and win. 43 seconds, WTF just happened.

So pretty much pure luck.
Aren't those the best?

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
Inhaling the food recovers more HP?! Dedede's suction move is better than Kirby's?!

Ugh. I beat that event on hard by picking up all of the food... It took me over an hour and it was the hardest thing ever. I had to pause the game and zoom the map out constantly to plan out my next move in advance.

I beat every solo event on hard, and got all rewards but the only one that really gave me a hard time was the Kirby one.

How the heck do you finish that event whre you play as Wii Fit Trainer and have to fight the two Giant Warios?

It's the only one I haven't beaten yet!

Last edited:

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
So I just started to clear the events and so far the hardest one was the Falco one where you had to kick G&W off the stage before it touches the ground. I had to customize Falco to be even faster so I could manage to hit them all

How the heck do you finish that event whre you play as Wii Fit Trainer and have to fight the two Giant Warios?

It's the only one I haven't beaten yet!
Also had trouble with this one, but managed to beat it when I customized WiiFit Trainer to have more KO power and defense, but specially on power. Maybe that will help

So I just started to clear the events and so far the hardest one was the Falco one where you had to kick G&W off the stage before it touches the ground. I had to customize Falco to be even faster so I could manage to hit them all

Also had trouble with this one, but managed to beat it when I customized WiiFit Trainer to have more KO power and defense, but specially on power. Maybe that will help
I've tried customizing her. Man, it's easily the toughest event for me. Doesn't help that there's a time limit.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Finally beat Kirby's Appetite on hard! I got really lucky with the spawns too.

I've tried customizing her. Man, it's easily the toughest event for me. Doesn't help that there's a time limit.
Abuse the hell out of the walk-off blast zone. It won't happen everytime, but most of the time you should be able to get at least the first one dead within 5-10 seconds by standing close to the edge and throwing or Ftilting him off (I believe hitting him with the back leg of the Ftilt will give you better results since it has a lot more KB), then either use your remaining time to either go for the second one the same way or KOing him the traditional way, which will be much easier once he is alone.

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
I completed that one in about 3 tries... Remember that Falco's neutral-aerial can OHKO them, even on Hard. So just stand below them and go for it. It probably helps using a controller configuration that has the jump button close to the normal attack button (as it should be).

Last edited:
Finally beat Kirby's Appetite on hard! I got really lucky with the spawns too.

Abuse the hell out of the walk-off blast zone. It won't happen everytime, but most of the time you should be able to get at least the first one dead within 5-10 seconds by standing close to the edge and throwing or Ftilting him off (I believe hitting him with the back leg of the Ftilt will give you better results since it has a lot more KB), then either use your remaining time to either go for the second one the same way or KOing him the traditional way, which will be much easier once he is alone.
Alright, I'll try this out!

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Beat KCA today as well as the Meta Knight one and in all honesty, I beat KCA on like my fifth try. I think that's because what I did was pause the game and look for food on the map, as well as try my best to avoid the DDDs.

The Meta Knight one, on the other hand, is in a league of its own. I used a custom moveset where MK got great attack, and got incredibly lucky when Marth was under the stage and couldn't recover, especially since I hit Zelda when I recovered using up-B.

The one that's really getting on my nerves is Aura Mastery. I'm having a hard enough time even beating it, and they expect me to do this in 90 seconds?!

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Everything in the single-player mode is hopelessly broken. The 'AI' is a disgusting joke, for one, and the conditions are directly at odds with the mechanics of the game itself. Input-reading computers with access to counters in a horde battle, timed challenges at-odds with AIs that power-shield every attack, or having an already-maddening event inexplicably bumped up to two stocks for the enemies and yourself, just to keep even luck from saving you... It's the poster child for antagonistic design. I keep expecting a punch line or shortcut that never really happen-- be it the events or the challenges, I haven't fought against a game's mechanics this hard since Sonic '06.

There's no strategy to it, no plan, just throw time at it until a given challenge spawns you next to a golden hammer, or some such stroke of pure luck. Because that's all it is, pure and simple: luck. The AIs might not read your inputs to counter, they might not power-shield and dodge to keep you from ever fighting in time, they might not kill you with the stage, they might suicide, thus letting you stand a chance... Knowing how to play doesn't hurt, but it certainly matters far less than simply retrying like a lemming until you break that concrete wall of player-hatred as a mechanic-- you just need to keep headbutting no matter the concussions.

Yeah, the Kirby one was no problem. The Meta-Knight/Marth one was a huge pain in the *** though.
It actually made me fairly decent with Meta Knight. :p

Well, it also made me hate Peach. :glare:

Everything in the single-player mode is hopelessly broken. The 'AI' is a disgusting joke, for one, and the conditions are directly at odds with the mechanics of the game itself. Input-reading computers with access to counters in a horde battle, timed challenges at-odds with AIs that power-shield every attack, or having an already-maddening event inexplicably bumped up to two stocks for the enemies and yourself, just to keep even luck from saving you... It's the poster child for antagonistic design. I keep expecting a punch line or shortcut that never really happen-- be it the events or the challenges, I haven't fought against a game's mechanics this hard since Sonic '06.

There's no strategy to it, no plan, just throw time at it until a given challenge spawns you next to a golden hammer, or some such stroke of pure luck. Because that's all it is, pure and simple: luck. The AIs might not read your inputs to counter, they might not power-shield and dodge to keep you from ever fighting in time, they might not kill you with the stage, they might suicide, thus letting you stand a chance... Knowing how to play doesn't hurt, but it certainly matters far less than simply retrying like a lemming until you break that concrete wall of player-hatred as a mechanic-- you just need to keep headbutting no matter the concussions.
Where's your fighting spirit?

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I did all solo events, most on hard.

Quick Question:
Is there a challenge to beat all events on hard and get all the rewards?

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I did all solo events, most on hard.

Quick Question:
Is there a challenge to beat all events on hard and get all the rewards?
Nope, they are separated into two challenges: I believe it was beating every event in Hard Mode and obtaining every reward?

Stressedllamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
StressedLlamas
3DS FC
0791-2652-8027
I seriously ****ing hate Kirby's Crazy Appetite, I literally threw my gamecube controller to the floor, I have never been so salty at a smash game in my ****in life, I went to Crazy Orders and got a 60 turn run as fox so that cheered me up at least

ividal

Smash Cadet
anyone having trouble on the second to last co-op event match? i swear the fact that bowser can kill you with a ftilt at 100% is really ridiculous -_-

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
While I haven't finished the events, the Duck Hunt! event raised my blood pressure up to dangerous levels. I've never been so frustrated at a character before. Not Falco - Duck Hunt. His jumping is awful. I didn't know you couldn't cancel his Up-B once you start using it (or at least, I never figured it out), so I kept on trying to get the ducks on top with Up-B and panicking once I realized I was wasting my time and also flapping around uncontrollably. Oh, and the ducks going "fly away" confused me. I thought that meant "this is your final chance before they fly away," so I kept trying to get them. Nope. The Fly Away screen serves no purpose other than to mock your impending failure. It made me so angry I would SD before the Fly Away screen finished.

I tried to finish the event before I had to go to a commitment and couldn't. I was pressed like a panini. When I got back, I had the breakthrough that I could customize Duck Hunt. I had no specials available and really garbage equipment, but I basically put everything into I think speed? I also practiced on the Duck Hunt stage in training to try and get an idea of where I should stand and such. I failed the first few times, but there was no greater feeling of satisfaction than getting that final duck and besting that random giant Falco that tries to stop you.

The worst part was this was all on easy... *weeps gently* I don't know what the golden flag is, but I know it was on a higher difficulty.

Kirby's Crazy Appetite I probably did on some low level, but it was fun. Infuriating, but I thought it was a cool idea for an event match as opposed to "beat these themed fighters~". My favorite part of Melee events was ones that you couldn't normally replicate well, like fighting on Entei, KO one person but not the other (I hated that event as a kid though, real talk), etc.

"Past Your Bedtime" only solidified my already existing hatred of the Gamer stage. Yet another one I struggled to beat on Easy. I hadn't had my epiphany about customization yet, so Jiggly was easy to knock into the stratosphere, as always. For some reason Bowser Jr. was always the first one I put to sleep, and always at an absurdly high damage, so it lasted a while. Toon Link and Ness would run away from me and my desire became less to put them to sleep than to spank them and send them to bed without supper. Oh, and the mother... Ugh. Get a job, lady.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Nope, they are separated into two challenges: I believe it was beating every event in Hard Mode and obtaining every reward?
There is no challenge to beat every event on Hard. There is a challenge to beat the reward conditions for every event, and there are several challenges to beat certain specific events on Hard.

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
I beat every single player Event on hard with all reward conditions satisfied. I did a few of the 2-player events with my sister, but we had trouble with Keep em' off the ship and a few others so we haven't played 2-player events too much anymore :p

Any major money rewards for 2-player events? I'm making my way up to 300,000G for the challenge...

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
At least not all events require you to increase the difficulty to complete their reward requirements. Of course, some of them can be nasty, even on the Easy skill level.

Amusingly, that event is not too different from the Mewtwo Strikes event in Melee; you had to KO Mewtwo, but NOT Zelda. The only difference is that you have two fighters that you can't KO.
Key difference is, you don't automatically fail if you KO Zelda. She just respawns.
Once I was on the verge of killing Marth when the ship lifted off and left Zelda behind. I had to restart.
SON OF A B*****

PF9

Smash Lord
Well, I completed all the reward requirements for the events today. Some of them were really hard, but in the end I managed to beat them all.

dangeraider

Smash Rookie
Haven't tried getting any of the rewards yet, but I'm currently stuck on the Duck Hunt one... I suck with the character and they give so little time to do it in!

Top Bottom