• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Estelle Braces For Battle! Estelle Bright For Smash.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen anyone post this yet

We have info on the next arc of the Trails series, Kuro No Kiseki.

Interesting, so there's the elusive Calvard game! You know, I'm glad they're going back to a more grounded story with their cast rather than just bringing everyone back just to do so. I'm already looking forward to how the game is.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for sharing! Coconattsu Coconattsu actually shared it with me earlier, but I still appreciate it regardless. =)

Any guesses on Kuro's English name? Initially I thought it would be something like Trails of/from/to Darkness, but now it seems like it might actually be something like Trails to Daybreak or something like that(based on that article saying that the title is derived from "Daybreak")? Anyways, it'll unfortunately be a couple of years before we get it. Still, I look forward to seeing more of it's gameplay soon. One more thing, that gematsu article claims you will be able to switch to command style battles... what does that mean, exactly? >_>

Also, Coconattsu pointed out that Nayuta no Kiseki is getting a PS4 port, as shown here:

Nayuta no Kiseki coming to PS4 by summer 2021 in Japan - Gematsu

So I'd say it is only a matter of time for that to get localized, and most likely ported to the Switch as well. The thing that I find funny is... still no Sky games on the PS4. I think there is a decent chance of seeing something regarding them on Falcom Day though, so... only a few more days to go.

That aside, congrats to the Sephiroth fans in this topic! While I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy myself, I still think Sephiroth is a solid choice.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Thanks for sharing! Coconattsu Coconattsu actually shared it with me earlier, but I still appreciate it regardless. =)

Any guesses on Kuro's English name? Initially I thought it would be something like Trails of/from/to Darkness, but now it seems like it might actually be something like Trails to Daybreak or something like that(based on that article saying that the title is derived from "Daybreak")? Anyways, it'll unfortunately be a couple of years before we get it. Still, I look forward to seeing more of it's gameplay soon. One more thing, that gematsu article claims you will be able to switch to command style battles... what does that mean, exactly? >_>

Also, Coconattsu pointed out that Nayuta no Kiseki is getting a PS4 port, as shown here:

Nayuta no Kiseki coming to PS4 by summer 2021 in Japan - Gematsu

So I'd say it is only a matter of time for that to get localized, and most likely ported to the Switch as well. The thing that I find funny is... still no Sky games on the PS4. I think there is a decent chance of seeing something regarding them on Falcom Day though, so... only a few more days to go.

That aside, congrats to the Sephiroth fans in this topic! While I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy myself, I still think Sephiroth is a solid choice.
I talked about the name with my friends and the best guess we had for it's name is Trails of/to/from Dusk. Considering how the protagonists of this game are gonna be more morally grey than previous protagonists we thought Dusk would fit the title well.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
I talked about the name with my friends and the best guess we had for it's name is Trails of/to/from Dusk. Considering how the protagonists of this game are gonna be more morally grey than previous protagonists we thought Dusk would fit the title well.
That is quite fitting as well. =)

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
Yup, I didn't want to post it here because I didn't really want to spoil anything for an event that is happening so soon, but since we're at it... yup. Nayuta on PS4 and the Calvard arc, the focus on Trails continues and Falcom day will likely be no different.

Cautiously optimistic about the new combat for the new arc but I'm liking the new setting a lot. Also apparently there will be moral choices that will affect some scenarios or so it seems.

https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1339095357263851520?s=20

That's cool too

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Didn't even know there was an Estelle thread. Hell yeah I'd be down for Estelle! I'd be very surprised if she happened, but it'd be great! Especially with my boy Lloyd as a Mii costume, too.

I hope the new Calvard game stays true to toning back the amount of characters, there were so maaaany in Cold Steel.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Didn't even know there was an Estelle thread. Hell yeah I'd be down for Estelle! I'd be very surprised if she happened, but it'd be great! Especially with my boy Lloyd as a Mii costume, too.

I hope the new Calvard game stays true to toning back the amount of characters, there were so maaaany in Cold Steel.
Welcome! I just realized that Kevin, Lloyd and Rean all fit the Gunner, Brawler and Swordfighter Mii Fighters really well. XD

And yeah, I agree that it would be nice to have a smaller roster this time around. I'd even be okay if it is just the three characters we've been shown so far, as long as it's done well. Although something tells me that they wont go THAT small.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Nice to see some info on the newest Trails game even if it won't get translated until the year 2023 at the earliest. Nice to see they are moving on the Calvard. The new characters all look interesting. Them making battles in real time like YS is an...interesting choice though as long as they are able to convert the core mechanics of the old system (Orbments, Quartzs, Arts, CP, etc,) I'm would be interested to see where they go with it.

I think I heard somewhere that CS4 is coming out on Switch in mid-March for JP at least but the worldwide will probably not be too far behind. Still waiting on a more concrete release date for the Steam version though.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Apparantly Kuro's going to be an action JRPG similar to FF7R, hoping that's more fun than what's standard, don't really like standard Trails gameplay but good writing makes me willing to ignore it.

Sidenote, I'm probably going to play SC after I beat Hades
There are actually a lot of Trails fans who hate the idea of the battle system changing. Although I'm personally fine with it myself, since I happen to enjoy a variety of different types of battle systems in RPGs. XD

The alignment part reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei. We SMT now.

Sounds interesting.
Also, glad that Katsumi is returning as the artist for the new game. I love his style in the Crossbell games and Ys SEVEN, and I find it a lot more interesting and charismatic than the style they chose for Cold Steel games.
The alignment thing... actually kind of bothers me a bit. But I'll have to see more to know if I hate it or not. >_>

On a side note, Trails and Ys(as well as other Falcom titles) are on sale again on Steam and GoG. Playstation Network also has a sale on both Cold Steel 3 and 4(not CS1/2 unfortunately). I was surprised by CS4 going on sale on PSN, because it hasn't been out for THAT long yet.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
One thing about Sephiroth’s Challenger Pack that I find notable is the inclusion of Advent Children tracks, since they’re existing remixes as opposed to Smash-specific remixes, and they come from something other than a video game. In that sense, the Falcom Sound Team’s huge library of remixes becomes fair game for an Estelle pack. So we could have that Sophisticated Fight Zanmai remix in Smash after all

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
One thing about Sephiroth’s Challenger Pack that I find notable is the inclusion of Advent Children tracks, since they’re existing remixes as opposed to Smash-specific remixes, and they come from something other than a video game. In that sense, the Falcom Sound Team’s huge library of remixes becomes fair game for an Estelle pack. So we could have that Sophisticated Fight Zanmai remix in Smash after all
Huh, good point. I imagine remixes(or new songs) from the OVA might also be fair game then too.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Light (#10 on the PGRU) shared an Estelle/Smash Bros image on Twitter earlier this week:
I'm happy to see there are Trails fans even among the competitive Ultimate scene!

(It's also kind of wild for me personally to see that since that image is the thumbnail for my Whereabouts of Light remix from a while back -- it's cool to see it's getting a bit of traction)

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
Light (#10 on the PGRU) shared an Estelle/Smash Bros image on Twitter earlier this week:
I'm happy to see there are Trails fans even among the competitive Ultimate scene!

(It's also kind of wild for me personally to see that since that image is the thumbnail for my Whereabouts of Light remix from a while back -- it's cool to see it's getting a bit of traction)
Oh that's awesome, I've seen your remix being posted in a lot of places these days, and rightfully so.

... Light posting the thumbnail for the Whereabouts of Light... heh, something funny about that.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
so I'm caught up with what's currently officially available from the series on PC, I have a lot of mixed feelings about the Coldsteel games to be honest, they aren't bad and they're probably above the average of your typical JRPG narrative, but compared to the Sky trilogy? I can't say they live up to the standards that set me up for at all.
At the least, I'm more intrigued to play the Crossbell games now, but I'll need a break from RPGs for a while, I'm exhausted after playing 4 games of this franchise in a row.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Wow, it looks great! And, if I'm seeing things correctly, they even switched from action RPG gameplay to turn-based gameplay at 0:41 to 0:42. The transition was so smooth that I almost missed it! And the visuals look great too! I just wish there was sound. >_>

Thanks for sharing, BTW! =)

Last edited:

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
So I have a question for you all: If Estelle did get in, what outfit do you think she would have? The one from Sky FC, Sky SC/3rd/Crossbell, or Cold Steel? Although it's possible that she could come with alts that cover them all, let's assume that she only comes with one outfit and different colored alts for said outfit.

Personally, I think her Sky SC/3rd/Crossbell outfit is probably her most iconic one. It also seems to be the most common one used for cross overs with other games, and is the one they chose for her Nendoroid as well. So if I had to guess, this would be the one I think they would go with, as it represents her overall look throughout the course of the series.

That said, her Cold Steel design is my favorite, so that is the one I would hope for, lol.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So I have a question for you all: If Estelle did get in, what outfit do you think she would have? The one from Sky FC, Sky SC/3rd/Crossbell, or Cold Steel? Although it's possible that she could come with alts that cover them all, let's assume that she only comes with one outfit and different colored alts for said outfit.

Personally, I think her Sky SC/3rd/Crossbell outfit is probably her most iconic one. It also seems to be the most common one used for cross overs with other games, and is the one they chose for her Nendoroid as well. So if I had to guess, this would be the one I think they would go with, as it represents her overall look throughout the course of the series.

That said, her Cold Steel design is my favorite, so that is the one I would hope for, lol.
I think they'll use her SC design as the default while her Cold Steel design will be a secondary alt design for her.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, they'd probably go with her SC design.

Maybe her Cold Steel design as an alt, but I'm not really sure if Sakurai would bother with that, at first glance there are not many differences between those 2 designs.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
My guess would also be the SC design. FC seems to me like the most likely alt if they wanted to do multiple outfits, though.

Tbh a part of me would love to see a single Ruby Knight Julius alt as color 8, like how they handled Shulk’s shirtless alt or Joker’s school outfit. They wouldn’t go out of their way for a costume that’s pretty insignificant in the bigger picture but I think it’d be fun

SNEKeater

Smash Master
My guess would also be the SC design. FC seems to me like the most likely alt if they wanted to do multiple outfits, though.

Tbh a part of me would love to see a single Ruby Knight Julius alt as color 8, like how they handled Shulk’s shirtless alt or Joker’s school outfit. They wouldn’t go out of their way for a costume that’s pretty insignificant in the bigger picture but I think it’d be fun
Tbf Shulk's alt is also pretty much pointless. Basically a meme. And I'd argue Joker's is kinda not that important as well.

I guess it depends if said costume is a priority for Sakurai or not, to be honest. Obviously, if some unique alts need to be some gameplay tweaks due to hitboxes or extra work for animations, then he will probably skip those alts. Like I think he did with Terry's Garou redesign.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Huh, interesting. So I'm not alone in thinking that the SC design is the most likely one then. XD

I looked it up and out of all the 3rd party DLC characters, only two don't have alternate costumes: Banjo Kazooie and Terry. You COULD argue that Terry has alt costumes due to him wearing different hats though.

In other words, it seems to be more likely for a 3rd party DLC character to have an alt costume than it is for them to not have one. >_>

FC would make the most sense to have as the main one in that case, yeah. Also, I too would like to see the Ruby Knight alt. I seem to recall seeing a gameplay clip from Akatsuki where she has that alt. Unfortunately, I dunno where that clip is now.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
thought those unaware of the messy history getting SC localized might find that to be worth a watch, boy remembering how close we were to not getting that still gives me shivers.
Yeah, I watched it about an hour or two ago myself. It's hard not to feel respect for those involved with localizing Sky FC/SC after learning about all the crap they went through. While I knew bits and pieces, there were some parts I was unaware of. Over all, I'm just glad things worked out in the end for everyone.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
UH

My CS4 limited edition Switch preorder just arrived, four whole days before the release date. I was NOT AT ALL prepared to get it this early lol. Guess I know what I’m playing tonight then

(I also appreciate that they put a spoiler warning on the art card pack, that’s considerate of them)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Currently playing through Trails of Cold Steel 1, loving it so far. My planned pathing is CS1 CS2 Sky Trilogy CS3 CS4. Honestly love the soundtrack a ton so far the game vibes hard for me.
Glad you're enjoying it!
If I might ask are you not able to play Zero and Azure? They have English patches on the internet.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
welp, I'm finally done with the Cold Steel saga. That last game felt quite a bit longer than the previous ones. My opinion than none of these are as good as any of the Sky games still stands, that asides, I'd probably rank them as 2 > 1 > 4 > 3. Some spoilers for all 4 games below
  • I honestly would have prefer if the overarching plot of these games concluded by the 2nd game, I feel the stuff that followed afterwards was nowhere near as strong.
  • The structure and some of the plot points of the 3rd and 4th game feels so similar to those of the 1st and 2nd to the point I started to feel some serious deja vu despite not revisiting the same locales 3 times like the Sky trilogy.
  • While we are it, I thought one of the 2nd game strongest improvement over the first were its pacing and larger sense of freedom, so going back to the day by day school setting on the 3rd felt like a significant step back to me.
  • Gen 2 of class VII felt much lesser compared to the first, I liked Ash, but that's about it.
  • I really didn't like the whole curse subplot, Osborne being some unsung hero all along nor how apparently all the games we've seen in the previous games where just a part of the checklist for the Great Twilight, it's not even that this was Ourobouros master plan to at least feel like a bigger connection between it all instead of what only felt like an attempt to make Reans story make him the grandest character of them all.
  • My god the games start to get really unbearable with the Rean worship from the 3rd entry onwards, the moment I saw both Claire and Sara more or less show interest in him throughout the main plot and not on their respective bonding events was bad enough, but every single girl pretty much instantly declares their love to him in all of their bonding events of the 4th game, not even getting on stuff like Rean beating Cassius on the endgame sword duel and all the ridiculous powers he gets, he might be the biggest gary stu I've ever seen. It gets to the point where I feel the games don't care so much to give a compelling narrative as much as they want to prioritize Rean being the greatest thing to happen to the planet since the discovery of acerbic tomatoes.
  • I don't know why the last game felt the need to have 2 endings, it almost felt as if they planned to make the tragic one the only one but made a last minute change to give everyone their happily ever after.
  • Death feels meaningless for party members, every character that seemed to be gone miraculously survived or was revived, it feels as if the stakes were never there to begin with.
  • The amount of playable characters was a bit much, I thought Sky the 3rd was overwhelming but it's nothing comparred to all the party members you have at some points in the 3rd and 4th game (or I guess the final dungeon of the 2nd one).
  • On a more positive note, asides from dropping the overdrive mechanic from the 2nd to 3rd game, I generally felt the games only got better to play with each entry, with some neat new additions and welcome QoL changes being thrown in in just about every game. But the story is just as important (if not more) for a text heavy game like this, and I can't say they delivered in that regard.
  • Maybe I'd go a bit easier on the story if it was more of its own unique setup world, but since it's part of the whole Zemurian continent story, I can't in good conscience not be bothered by how a lot of things were written or handled here. As is, I don't think these games were bad, but they sure did a fine job disappointing me after having such a pleasant time with the Sky trilogy.
I think the most I got out of playing these is the desire to play the Crossbell duology, which I'll probably get around so later this year if there's still no plans for an official localization by the time I decide to do so, but I'm less excited for stuff like Hajimari or the upcoming Calvard arc. I need to regain some faith in the writing of these games.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Apologizes for double posting, but dang, Trails of Zero was great, I'm glad the story was relatively self contained so the wait until geofront releases the Azure patch isn't so bad haha.
Perfect time to finish Zero!
Geofront announced that they'll release the Azure patch this month

Top Bottom