• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I feel like Octoling or any Splatoon rep for that matter is severely overlooked for this pass. Nintendo clearly treats the franchise as a big thing with Splatoon 3 being the final "big" announcement of the last Direct and all. I think anyone is fair game at E3, so yeah Octoling could very well be revealed at E3 imo. I think a whole fighter pass for another Splatoon rep has always been in the cards, honestly. I also agree that Octoling would fit the timeline of "not quite made it to base game" like some other fighters introduced this pass, plus riding the wave of the upcoming Splatoon 3 would just work so well.
If Smash Ultimate's first character revealed is Inkling and last character revealed is Octoling.

1623515392429.png

Last edited:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's going to happen. None of the prior games had that happen but it would be cool.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Less than 24 hours to go… here’s hoping our lil veemos make it

and I really wanna know who the new pop stars are

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Would it be too soon for a testfire though?

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Less than 24 hours to go… here’s hoping our lil veemos make it

and I really wanna know who the new pop stars are
Octoling has a thing going for them.
1. Splatoon 3 coming out in 2022. Corrin, Incineroar and Byleth were picked to keep Smash relevant in the long term because of the release date of their respective games. Whilst Octoling (Playable) debuted in Splatoon 2 they're going to be in Splatoon 3 with potentially a bigger focus because of its launch date inclusion. People have gone wild with Champions fighter speculation just recently and the Champions date from 2017 and spam two/three games (three games because potentially BOTW 2). So maybe Octoling is the character that's picked to keep Smash relevant in the long term.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Octoling has a thing going for them.
1. Splatoon 3 coming out in 2022. Corrin, Incineroar and Byleth were picked to keep Smash relevant in the long term because of the release date of their respective games. Whilst Octoling (Playable) debuted in Splatoon 2 they're going to be in Splatoon 3 with potentially a bigger focus because of its launch date inclusion. People have gone wild with Champions fighter speculation just recently and the Champions date from 2017 and spam two/three games (three games because potentially BOTW 2). So maybe Octoling is the character that's picked to keep Smash relevant in the long term.
no corrin and byleth were picked because sakurai loves FE and we always get a pokemon from the latest gen no matter how recent it was

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Something that boosts's Octoling's chances. Refers to the recently revealed fighter who I'll hide in case you haven't seen the Direct:
If the Heihachi Mii Fighter costume returning as DLC never disconfirmed Kazuya, then the Callie and Marie costumes don't disconfirm Octoling either.
I have said I wouldn't bother predicting the last two fighters, but I will say I'm quite confident in Octoling's chances now. Splatoon's sheer popularity gives it an excuse to be shilled a second time, them being unique from :ultinkling::ultinklingboy: fits right in with Fighters Pass vol. 2's many surprises and Nintendo would probably take advantage of the coincidence of Smash potentially starting and ending with Splatoon.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Something that boosts's Octoling's chances. Refers to the recently revealed fighter who I'll hide in case you haven't seen the Direct:
If the Heihachi Mii Fighter costume returning as DLC never disconfirmed Kazuya, then the Callie and Marie costumes don't disconfirm Octoling either.
I have said I wouldn't bother predicting the last two fighters, but I will say I'm quite confident in Octoling's chances now. Splatoon's sheer popularity gives it an excuse to be shilled a second time, them being unique from :ultinkling::ultinklingboy: fits right in with Fighters Pass vol. 2's many surprises and Nintendo would probably take advantage of the coincidence of Smash potentially starting and ending with Splatoon.
I fully agree except the starting and ending with Splatoon bit.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Real talk how would you feel if for some reason Off the Hook got in over the Octolings?

I wouldn’t mind. Splatoon 2/Octo Expansion still needed more content anyway, plus the duo is half Octoling :drshrug:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Real talk how would you feel if for some reason Off the Hook got in over the Octolings?

I wouldn’t mind. Splatoon 2/Octo Expansion still needed more content anyway, plus the duo is half Octoling :drshrug:
That would be cool. Playing as idols sounds awesome. What would their gimmick be. Same goes for Octoling.

Paraster

Smash Lord

A bit torn.

On the one hand, I love Pearl and Marina. On the other hand, a regular Octoling is just such an obvious option that arguably reflects Splatoon's gameplay better (being playable while OtH aren't) that I'd be very baffled if Octoling wasn't the next Splatoon rep.

(I also just really like the playable Octolings, particularly the tentacle mohawk male ones can have.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A bit torn.

On the one hand, I love Pearl and Marina. On the other hand, a regular Octoling is just such an obvious option that arguably reflects Splatoon's gameplay better (being playable while OtH aren't) that I'd be very baffled if Octoling wasn't the next Splatoon rep.

(I also just really like the playable Octolings, particularly the tentacle mohawk male ones can have.)
Then again Pyra isn’t directly controllable in XC2. Mythra is in Torna, but it’s not quite the same thing

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
You could reasonably argue Pyra is the main character of Xenoblade 2 for plot significance, even if she's not directly playable.

I wouldn't complain, but I'd rather have Off the Hook as stage cameos. I'm thinking have Octoling's stage be the final level of the Octo Expansion, with the NILS statue in the background. And they can occasionally come by on the helicopter. Could even incorporate a music gimmick like New Donk City has.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You could reasonably argue Pyra is the main character of Xenoblade 2 for plot significance, even if she's not directly playable.
you could but youd be wrong. also thats not what they were talking about, they were talking about being reflective of gameplay which she is not

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am so completely baffled that we didn't get more echo characters- with Octoling leading the charge.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
I am so completely baffled that we didn't get more echo characters- with Octoling leading the charge.
Yeah I agree it's like they dug the thought of more of them in a hole. I feel like that if the team plans to do one last push after Fighter's Pass 2 it would be an echo bundle of four characters coming on the same day since it won't require that much effort to make one. The echoes would come with music and spirits only. No stage. After all there's still that bonus fighter leak on the Nintendo of Australia Smash DLC website page. I think the bonus echoes would be an incentive to get all DLC. Like Plant you would get them for free for a limited time after that you would need to pay for it. This time it's free if you own all DLC.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If we get four more, I definitely do not think we are getting them all in one day- Smash likes those prolonged reveals and free publicity.
Yeah I agree it's like they dug the thought of more of them in a hole. I feel like that if the team plans to do one last push after Fighter's Pass 2 it would be an echo bundle of four characters coming on the same day since it won't require that much effort to make one. The echoes would come with music and spirits only. No stage. After all there's still that bonus fighter leak on the Nintendo of Australia Smash DLC website page. I think the bonus echoes would be an incentive to get all DLC. Like Plant you would get them for free for a limited time after that you would need to pay for it. This time it's free if you own all DLC.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
If we get four more, I definitely do not think we are getting them all in one day- Smash likes those prolonged reveals and free publicity.
They could do a showreel of the echoes like they did when they revealed echoes back in 2018. There was a stage bundle in Smash 4 where multiple stages came out on the same day so maybe they could do it the same but with echoes instead.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
They could do a showreel of the echoes like they did when they revealed echoes back in 2018. There was a stage bundle in Smash 4 where multiple stages came out on the same day so maybe they could do it the same but with echoes instead.
It is possible- I just don't see a single reason that Nintendo would do it, given all they have to gain from the slow release cycle, and the world continually talking about the new characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway, now than ever I’m really, REALLY confident Octoling is the last character. I feel like everything just lines up

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why is that?
  • Heihachi Mii didn’t disconfirm Kazuya, Spring Man AT & Mii didn’t disconfirm Min Min (even though that was base), Rex Mii didn’t disconfirm Pyra/Mythra so now I’m thinking the Squid Sisters Miis don’t disconfirm Octoling (or on the off chance it happens, Off The Hook)
  • Depending on when the final character is shown, they’ll most likely be lowkey. They’re sure to be high key if it’s at TGA but I don’t think they’ll do that again (and I don’t want to wait that long)
  • Most of the Splatoon content in base is of the first game. Very few content of 2 in base (no Salmon Run spirits, no Octo Canyon music) and literally only two spirits from the Octo Expansion and nothing else. Could be a Sephiroth type deal to provide more content for a game, vs. Min Min and Pythra who were added cuz ARMS and XC2 missed the boat for base (and YMMV, Kazuya because Sakurai wanted a Tekken rep since 4)
  • They like to prioritize popular series with first party DLC, and in some cases recent or upcoming installments (like with Corrin and Byleth). Splatoon 3 is on the horizon…

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
  • Heihachi Mii didn’t disconfirm Kazuya, Spring Man AT & Mii didn’t disconfirm Min Min (even though that was base), Rex Mii didn’t disconfirm Pyra/Mythra so now I’m thinking the Squid Sisters Miis don’t disconfirm Octoling (or on the off chance it happens, Off The Hook)
  • Depending on when the final character is shown, they’ll most likely be lowkey. They’re sure to be high key if it’s at TGA but I don’t think they’ll do that again (and I don’t want to wait that long)
  • Most of the Splatoon content in base is of the first game. Very few content of 2 in base (no Salmon Run spirits, no Octo Canyon music) and literally only two spirits from the Octo Expansion and nothing else. Could be a Sephiroth type deal to provide more content for a game, vs. Min Min and Pythra who were added cuz ARMS and XC2 missed the boat for base (and YMMV, Kazuya because Sakurai wanted a Tekken rep since 4)
  • They like to prioritize popular series with first party DLC, and in some cases recent or upcoming installments (like with Corrin and Byleth). Splatoon 3 is on the horizon…
Those are all things that don't work against Octoling, but how does it work for Octoling, versus just being confirmation bias?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
It's been confirmed that Challenger Pack #11 will be the last one for this installment, and there will not be a third DLC pass.

With only one more fighter coming, I really don't think we're getting Octoling until the next installment. By the time the final DLC pack releases, the game will have been on the market for three years, so I guess it's fair to end it there.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Sakurai spent 10 years of his life on Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U, then Ultimate really says something. Once this last DLC pack releases, he can finally have a long-overdue break from the series. After spending 10 straight years working on the series since Kid Icarus Uprising.

It's too bad that ALL Echo Fighters are from the base version of the game, and NONE were added since the game's launch.

On a different subject, Splatoon 3 was not shown at E3. Looks like they had nothing to show for it yet. I know people want to get their hands on the game, but the developers need to take their time, and make sure the game is finely polished. We want a good-quality masterpiece that clearly has time and effort put into it, and not a rushed buggy mess.

The Switch Pro was rumored to be revealed before E3, but there ended up being no sign of it. If the Switch Pro does get revealed soon, it will most likely happen out of the blue, like the Switch Lite.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
One way I could see Octoling being announced is via a Testfire announcement for Splatoon 3 (if it's ready to have one that is). They did this with ARMS fighter announcement (though the game was out three years prior but it's still a game demo (game trials are pretty much limited time full game demos)).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The fact that Sakurai spent 10 years of his life on Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U, then Ultimate really says something. Once this last DLC pack releases, he can finally have a long-overdue break from the series. After spending 10 straight years working on the series since Kid Icarus Uprising.
I fully disagree with this sentiment.
Yes, everyone needs a healthy break from work- time to recoup the mind body and soul.
However, as far as 'needing' a break, there are far more people, who get no recognition for what they do, and work longer hours a week doing something they dislike, without the option of stopping.

Sakurai doesn't just love his job, and hasn't only built a legacy, but is being given an opportunity no other game developer has ever been given- he can choose just about any video game character- the medium of his art- at his disposal, and gets the opportunity to play around and use them for his work.
I cannot imagine a better job for a game developer who loves gaming, than what his current job is- particularly since it is all on him if he decides to stop, as I am sure Nintendo would fund this game until the end of the system lifespan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom