• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I fully disagree with this sentiment.
Yes, everyone needs a healthy break from work- time to recoup the mind body and soul.
However, as far as 'needing' a break, there are far more people, who get no recognition for what they do, and work longer hours a week doing something they dislike, without the option of stopping.

Sakurai doesn't just love his job, and hasn't only built a legacy, but is being given an opportunity no other game developer has ever been given- he can choose just about any video game character- the medium of his art- at his disposal, and gets the opportunity to play around and use them for his work.
I cannot imagine a better job for a game developer who loves gaming, than what his current job is- particularly since it is all on him if he decides to stop, as I am sure Nintendo would fund this game until the end of the system lifespan.
Okay, I didn't really think about that. Though, it was still confirmed that Challenger Pack #11 will be the last one for this installment. After that, new content for the game will be done.

We may not get an update on Splatoon 3, or the revealing of Challenger Pack #11 until the fall Nintendo Direct, possibly in September.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Okay, I didn't really think about that. Though, it was still confirmed that Challenger Pack #11 will be the last one for this installment. After that, new content for the game will be done.

We may not get an update on Splatoon 3, or the revealing of Challenger Pack #11 until the fall Nintendo Direct, possibly in September.
I sadly accept this is the end,
But I have hope that somehow, among any other proof, we will have more characters down the line, in some way. Port deluxe, characters after a break, a fakeout...anything.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai may pull a Splatoon 2, where he suddenly introduces more new content long after the supposed end, like how Splatfests suddenly made a comeback long after the Final Fest, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. With Challenger Pack #11 supposedly being the final wave of new content, I wouldn't get my hopes up on anymore new content, or a sudden comeback.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Octoling getting in this installment. The game doesn't even have a Splatoon 2 stage, but many ideas have been expressed for one.

Sakurai is known to be a workaholic, to the point to where he gets health problems from it. All I can say is that he loves his job as a game director.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sakurai may pull a Splatoon 2, where he suddenly introduces more new content long after the supposed end, like how Splatfests suddenly made a comeback long after the Final Fest, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. With Challenger Pack #11 supposedly being the final wave of new content, I wouldn't get my hopes up on anymore new content, or a sudden comeback.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Octoling getting in this installment. The game doesn't even have a Splatoon 2 stage, but many ideas have been expressed for one.

Sakurai is known to be a workaholic, to the point to where he gets health problems from it. All I can say is that he loves his job as a game director.
I think it is fine to have hope, just not any expectations.
And something happened with Kazuya- a character and genre I really wanted one more from.
I am less concerned with getting all of what I want, what I feel should be in.

Of course there are many more characters that really deserve to get in- but even if all 25 of them were the only ones Sakurai would choose- which would not happen- it would take five more passes.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
While some of the biggest names, like Inkling, Ridley, King K. Rool, and even Banjo & Kazooie managed to get in, some other big names like Krystal, Isaac, Ashley, and Waluigi ended up being Assist Trophies. Other big names that have been requested for some time include Toad, Octoling, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, which still have yet to get in the series.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Yo guys the missing URL hasn't been filled in with the Ancient Helm Mii Costume. This raises a few eyebrows. Checked it myself.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
While some of the biggest names, like Inkling, Ridley, King K. Rool, and even Banjo & Kazooie managed to get in, some other big names like Krystal, Isaac, Ashley, and Waluigi ended up being Assist Trophies. Other big names that have been requested for some time include Toad, Octoling, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, which still have yet to get in the series.
I'm not sure some of those are big names- to me they certainly aren't.
Particularly Octoling (which has only been around 6 years, and to me- should play identically to Inkling) as well as Krystal- who just isn't in that much, and we have enough from Starfox (if we got more, I'd want Andross).

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure some of those are big names- to me they certainly aren't.
Particularly Octoling (which has only been around 6 years, and to me- should play identically to Inkling) as well as Krystal- who just isn't in that much, and we have enough from Starfox (if we got more, I'd want Andross).
Okay, maybe I used the term "big name" a little loosely there.

Yes, I'm aware Octoling has only been around for six years, but is still a popular request for another Splatoon character.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I fully disagree with this sentiment.
Yes, everyone needs a healthy break from work- time to recoup the mind body and soul.
However, as far as 'needing' a break, there are far more people, who get no recognition for what they do, and work longer hours a week doing something they dislike, without the option of stopping.

Sakurai doesn't just love his job, and hasn't only built a legacy, but is being given an opportunity no other game developer has ever been given- he can choose just about any video game character- the medium of his art- at his disposal, and gets the opportunity to play around and use them for his work.
I cannot imagine a better job for a game developer who loves gaming, than what his current job is- particularly since it is all on him if he decides to stop, as I am sure Nintendo would fund this game until the end of the system lifespan.
I disagree with this sentiment lol

It doesn't matter what job you do. Even if it is the dream job that you have wanted your whole life, even if you love the work you do with all your heart and body, work is work and spending that much time involved in the same project and the same tasks has a toll on people. Good stress, from hype and excitement and fulfillment, is still stress.

Burnout is not something that happens from lack of motivation or unfulfilling work, it's something that can happen to anyone. And particularly when we are well aware that Sakurai goes overboard to the point where it is detrimental to his health, it should make sense to everyone that the man needs to be able to step back and not have to think about the project for some time. We're also talking about the country where several creative masterminds working on what they love have a tradition of terrible health and stress issues despite doing what they love (see: mangaka)

Lastly, there being other people in the world who deserve breaks more doesn't mean people who have it good don't deserve breaks as well. Just because somewhere in the world there is someone working 12 hours a day because they cannot stop or survive without it doesn't mean that we all have to slave ourselves away as well. Everyone has their own life circumstances and we all deserve healthy work-life balances, even if other people don't have the luxury of having it.

Sincerely: someone who loves their job and has had to realize across several months of overworking that work-life balance is important.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
After Challenger Pack #11 releases, Sakurai can finally take a break from the series. Like I said, he's known to be a workaholic to the point to where he gets health problems from it. He works himself up and gets sick from it. Last year, he passed out at the gym, but recovered. After literally spending 10 years of his life working on this series, and the Switch lifespan doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon, maybe he'll work on an exciting new project. Something that isn't Smash.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Once the last fighter gets revealed, most likely in the fall Nintendo Direct, it's only a matter of time before the entire "Newcomer Speculation" board becomes read-only. It will be the end of this thread, and all others part of it.

Regarding what Sakurai will do once this gets done, it could be a new Kid Icarus game, or a traditional fighting game, or something else. Regardless, it will be a breath of fresh air for him once he takes a break from the Smash series and works on something completely different.

There have been countless debates on whether or not Super Smash Bros. in general is considered a "fighting" game. The series is fundamentally different from all other fighting game series like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, etc.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Once the last fighter gets revealed, most likely in the fall Nintendo Direct, it's only a matter of time before the entire "Newcomer Speculation" board becomes read-only. It will be the end of this thread, and all others part of it.
well we better make another thread to discuss spaltoon 3 after that

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Regarding what Sakurai will do once this gets done, it could be a new Kid Icarus game, or a traditional fighting game, or something else. Regardless, it will be a breath of fresh air for him once he takes a break from the Smash series and works on something completely different.

There have been countless debates on whether or not Super Smash Bros. in general is considered a "fighting" game. The series is fundamentally different from all other fighting game series like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, etc.
It is a platform-fighting game.
I honestly don't think it matters what Sakurai considers it, if it is not held in that regard by fans.
Considering it is an entire sub genre at this point, and those games do consider it a fighting game, then... that's just defacto what it is.

The artist in me has to sacrifice the idea that it is the artists choice, but the consumerist in me understands that as fact.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, we got 3 seconds of new Splatoon 3 footage in the Switch OLED trailer.
Begin the theories as to why three seconds is the number of games here, which is half as many as Smash games, which means we get a second rep of Splatoon, thus this 1 character is the time!

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I saw the OLED Switch reveal, and so far, it doesn't appear to be more powerful. If it still uses the exact same level of power, and is not an upgrade, it's a disappointment, and not worth buying, especially if it won't even have exclusives you can't get on a normal Switch.

We thought Nintendo was going to upgrade the Switch to be more competitive with the next-gen consoles. Were we wrong?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I saw the OLED Switch reveal, and so far, it doesn't appear to be more powerful. If it still uses the exact same level of power, and is not an upgrade, it's a disappointment, and not worth buying, especially if it won't even have exclusives you can't get on a normal Switch.

We thought Nintendo was going to upgrade the Switch to be more competitive with the next-gen consoles. Were we wrong?
The rumors did say 4K and DLSS. this has neither.

I think that may be saved for the Switch’s successor… which is funny cuz they datamined something related to 4K in a Switch firmware update a few months back. Or was it DLSS, I don’t recall

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
So, the OLED Switch may not be worth buying if it just has the exact same hardware as before, completely unchanged. It was rumored to have 4K and DLSS, and so far, it doesn't appear to have it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, the OLED Switch may not be worth buying if it just has the exact same hardware as before, completely unchanged. It was rumored to have 4K and DLSS, and so far, it doesn't appear to have it.

For what it's worth, I've read that it's got Bluetooth functionality, but I figure if you've already got a Switch and you're happy with it, then there's no point in getting this new model.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

For what it's worth, I've read that it's got Bluetooth functionality, but I figure if you've already got a Switch and you're happy with it, then there's no point in getting this new model.
Switch already has Bluetooth, but only for its controllers. Maybe, just maybe, it’ll support other Bluetooth devices like Bluetooth enabled earbuds

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Looks like if I already have a Switch, the OLED model is a big fat pass.

I guess Nintendo won't stay competitive with next-gen consoles, and the Switch will continue using hardware that's been dated since even before the Switch launched.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Looks like if I already have a Switch, the OLED model is a big fat pass.

I guess Nintendo won't stay competitive with next-gen consoles, and the Switch will continue using hardware that's been dated, even before the Switch launched.
so what? It doesn’t matter how powerful a console is if the games for it aren’t any good

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
If I decide to get the OLED Switch anyway, I'll have to transfer my ID, and the original Switch I got in 2017 will become an obsolete brick, never to be played again, like my first two 3DS models (original and XL before I eventually got the New 3DS XL). I never got the DSi XL because literally the only difference was the size. The 2DS was designed to be affordable and kid-friendly, and the Switch Lite seems to be the equivalent of that, where it's smaller and more affordable.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If I decide to get the OLED Switch anyway, I'll have to transfer my ID, and the original Switch I got in 2017 will become an obsolete brick, never to be played again, like my first two 3DS models (original and XL before I eventually got the New 3DS XL). I never got the DSi XL because literally the only difference was the size. The 2DS was designed to be affordable and kid-friendly, and the Switch Lite seems to be the equivalent of that, where it's smaller and more affordable.
You could use the old one for mods. Just don’t put the old one online or you risk an eshop ban

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
whats your point?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
You could use the old one for mods. Just don’t put the old one online or you risk an eshop ban
I'm not a modder, since I don't know how to mod.

whats your point?
I don't know, but, I've already gotten a good four years out of my Switch. A few years later, the original Switch got released with a cooler processor that increased the battery life. Maybe the OLED Switch will also run cooler. Sometimes, my Switch gets hot, especially when playing in TV mode for a while.

I heard rumors that sometime after the OLED Switch releases, the original Switch will be discontinued, while the Switch Lite will continue to stay on the market.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I don't know, but, I've already gotten a good four years out of my Switch. A few years later, the original Switch got released with a cooler processor that increased the battery life. Maybe the OLED Switch will also run cooler. Sometimes, my Switch gets hot, especially when playing in TV mode for a while.

I heard rumors that sometime after the OLED Switch releases, the original Switch will be discontinued, while the Switch Lite will continue to stay on the market.
The bolded part makes no sense

if it were a full on successor I think that would be possible

but this? No way

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

unless you’re in the market for a new switch I don’t think you need to worry.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
The OLED Switch still uses the exact same old dated Tegra X1 processor as before, with no performance improvements. My concern is the third-party and AAA games. Some of which barely run on the Switch as it is.

I understand if Nintendo didn't want to divide the market, and make current Switch owners feel like they're being gypped, but still. The amount of improvements is underwhelming, and the Switch hardware is getting old.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The OLED Switch still uses the exact same old dated Tegra X1 processor as before, with no performance improvements. My concern is the third-party and AAA games. Some of which barely run on the Switch as it is.

I understand if Nintendo didn't want to divide the market, and make current Switch owners feel like they're being gypped, but still. The amount of improvements is underwhelming, and the Switch hardware is getting old.
sounds like business as usual for Nintendo

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is my time table correct?

2017- Switch Launch
2018- Upgraded Battery
2019- Switch Lite
2020- end of the world
2021- OLED upgrade

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Is my time table correct?

2017- Switch Launch
2018- Upgraded Battery
2019- Switch Lite
2020- end of the world
2021- OLED upgrade
Actually, the upgraded battery on the original Switch is from 2019, just like the Switch Lite.

I might consider getting the OLED Switch anyway if it still at least has the better cooling and battery life, but there's plenty of time to think about it.

Pros:
+Much improved kickstand
+Slightly bigger screen
+Ethernet port on the dock
+2x system memory
+Enhanced audio when portable

Cons:
-No performance improvements
-No improvements in TV mode whatsoever
-Still has joy-con drift
-Still uses the Tegra X1 processor which was outdated even before the Switch launched

It might be a better idea to stick with my original Switch. It's possible we may not see any performance improvements until we get the actual next-gen Switch.

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
A few years before Splatoon 3 was eventually announced, there was a fan project going on called "Project Splatoon 3" with Riva and Lumi as the idols, still set in Inkopolis. I wonder if Nintendo took it down.

Nintendo is infamous for going out of their way to take down fan projects, Even if they're not looking to make a profit, or they're not defaming the characters, they still get taken down. Because Nintendo controls their IPs with an iron fist.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A few years before Splatoon 3 was eventually announced, there was a fan project going on called "Project Splatoon 3" with Riva and Lumi as the idols, still set in Inkopolis. I wonder if Nintendo took it down.

Nintendo is infamous for going out of their way to take down fan projects, Even if they're not looking to make a profit, or they're not defaming the characters, they still get taken down. Because Nintendo controls their IPs with an iron fist.
from a creative standpoint I understand that

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209

It's just a collection of fanart, which Nintendo has never taken down.

Top Bottom