• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 2 - Paris - 23 & 24 February 2008 - Up to 256 Players !

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
WTF!!! Dahean and Over ****** in teams!! THEY ACTUALLY WON, OMFG!!

waaaoh, what a **** I wasn't there to see that, I had to take the plane early in the evening :( :(

waiting to see some video stuff, ****!

shoutouts later for all the nice people I met there, I'm tired now and I'm going to sleep ;) ;)

pd: Dahean and Over kicking *****!!

Catharsis

Smash Apprentice
Apparently, Aldwyn got 3-0'd fairly easily by Calle W, not sure if that was winners or losers.
Also, singles should probably be over by now.
In losers Aldwyn lost in front Dahean (Spanish guy)
So, Calle W beat him at winners, I guess.

Well, Im so proud of Over and Dahean results in Singles and (obviously) Teams. Spain did it better than most of people thought.

The tournament was awesome, Spain is going to participate in other torunaments now.

shoutouts later for all the nice people I met there, I'm tired now and I'm going to sleep
Idem.
Tomorrow: Shoutouts.

alucard.ec

Smash Apprentice
I have too many videos. I loved the tournamente and my friends got really good placed in singles and Champs in Teams... =D

more comments tomorow

milkieee

Smash Journeyman
oh my godness spanish guys were kicking ***** =D
I heard, that some of my guy from germany came into the bracket, so which places were my trainingpartners Luma and perfect_shadow ?

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Just got home. Many things to say about this tournament...

I won’t go into detail about what happened between JD and some of the Dutchies, but I didn’t like hearing about it first thing in the morning on Saturday. I wasn’t there, but I heard both sides of the story and it seems ****ed up to me. This incident seems to have some irreversible consequences, which is just bad. I expect there will be some more clarification.

I liked the venue. Lots of space for both playing and hanging out, although the main “competitive room” was extremely crowded on Sunday. There were enough televisions and the fact that some of them were laggy only was an issue during the first round of pools. The facilities weren’t this tournament’s problem.

One thing I do like some clarification on is the food. From what I understood, we were supposed to get something resembling a full meal for our money, not three pieces of bread in two days. This also leads me to the question how money was handled, wasn’t there some form of sponsorship? I paid over 40 euro’s for singles, teams, some food and housing (which I didn’t even need since my group was in a hotel the nights before and during the tournament). This seems like a steep price, considering what I got. Please note that I’m not accusing, but I do like some answers on this topic.

As for time management... ouch. Registration took a long time, although I’m not sure how it was handled in the schedule. Announcing the pools outside wasted like an hour or so, I don’t get why the organisation didn’t write it down somewhere or project it with a beamer. We only managed to finish the two rounds of pools on Saturday and had to rush teams on Sunday to be able to finish both the singles and teams bracket.

As for other events, there weren’t any. Low tier, SSB64, Brawl... none of it took place. I personally don’t really care about them, but I know there are people who do and I can imagine them feeling screwed. What I am pissed about is how regionals were handled. I’ll use this occasion to state that I really value regionals crews at events like these. We don’t get a chance to do them very often (in fact, they never really got properly done) and they’re simply fun.

We were supposed to do regionals on Saturday night, starting around 11 PM or so. What happened was that we waited a few hours until I decided enough was enough and basically pushed Spain into making a crew and playing the Netherlands (respect to Spain for playing us, seriously). I shouldn’t have to do that as an attendant. This seemed to inspire France to play Germany, while the Swedes had already gone to bed (can’t blame them). In the end no other crew matches were played, which is something I regret. The pointless waiting around and the fact we had to start really early the next day meant many people only got like 2-4 hours of sleep, including myself.

Competitively speaking, it was a good tournament. Most European countries had a strong showing and having three Japanese guests was great. There were some issues with the brackets, but those were dealt with as much as possible in my opinion. You can’t please everyone and some people will get screwed no matter what. I also had a lot of fun hanging out with people, as usual. I also want to say that Slhoka gets my respect for working so hard. It often seemed he was running things (mostly) by himself, which also meant he had to deal with many complaints.

In conclusion... Lots of promises weren’t kept and the tournament’s only redeeming features seem to be the venue, the huge level of attendants and the large number of good players. It seems it was too much to handle, which is a shame. I’d like to end on a positive note: I did have a good time. It just could have been better.

DarkRenji

Smash Journeyman
Full results, please?
If the top 3 posted earlier is true, then... yay! Holland wins, har har. ;) Congratulations Amsah.
I would love to see the full results and; no PC Chris/Cort, whatever? I thought they would come too (i didn't really follow everything on here, so I guess i'm realy late with this), why didn't they come? Dissappoints me, I wanted to see who is better ;) USA or Europe/Japan.

Hack

Smash Journeyman
Full results, please?
If the top 3 posted earlier is true, then... yay! Holland wins, har har. ;) Congratulations Amsah.
I would love to see the full results and; no PC Chris/Cort, whatever? I thought they would come too (i didn't really follow everything on here, so I guess i'm realy late with this), why didn't they come? Dissappoints me, I wanted to see who is better ;) USA or Europe/Japan.
PC Chris obviously had some trouble with his passport, and because of PC not coming, Cort decided he wouldn't come either.
That kinda sucks, yeah... =(

DarkLink--Ita

Smash Cadet
Wow congrats to Amsah for winning and to Dahean and Overtriforce for winning teams and Dahean again for kicing Aldwyn out :/

And obviously congrats to all the Italian guys, very well done i think Aldwyn got nervous against Calle W, but whatever, good job guys :p

Can't wait for vids!

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Just got home. Man I barely caught my train in the morning O.O. I followed the signs with sortie and suddenly I was under a metro track on a square or something O.O

Congrats to Amsah, CJ and Armada ofcourse and the great performance of the spanish. And gratz to CJ and Masashi for 2nd place ofc.

I really liked the tournament( It's been to long since I've been to these big ones). I agree with the points Marc made though and it once again comes down to running the tournament more then all the organisation before the tournament. Maybe we should have a thread about this in which we can debate this cause this is a issue at every tournament. Registration at the start of the day took a long time but that's hard to prevent cause of huge number or attendees ( big fencing tournaments I went too can take even longer). Announcing the pouls seemed like a smart thing to do but Marc is right printing them and sticking them on a wall would have been better.
Once again we had confusion about best of 5 or best of 3 and I think this can be easy to prevent by just putting a sheet at the tv's with this rules on it. The first round of pouls went pretty swiftly but there was a huge break in between. Next time we should do a few regionals after the first round of pouls. I think that way we could have finished regionals on saturday.
The venue is a great location though. Could easily find a place to sleep in a quiet room , enough toilets and seperation between free for all crap rooms and a serious tournament room. I agree on the food remarks but I was expecting this cause it was just the same a last year. Don't say full meals on the site when in reality it's more of a lunch.

A big thanks to Slhoka for all the help, support and how much he devoted for this tournament. A big thnx to Poilon aswell and his crew that helped him. Too bad about the tv deal but you guys can't help that. I think we had more then enough tv's though compared to most other tournaments.

I won't go into too much detail about the stuff at JD's before some clarification is posted. I do want to say I am majorly upset with the way JD handled this and I felt it was really misplaced to threat me like this after all the stuff I arranged for him. Once again Slhoka came to the rescue and if he didn't we would have had to sleep at the station or something. On the other end I think some certain dutch need to grow up and learn some responsibility and respect. I understand it's hard for JD to receive nemerous request and threats of the police coming in cause of the noice and it is really hard to handle. If you guys did that drinking game at my place I would never be allowed to house you guys again... .

Besides this all it was fun to see everyone again and a lot of new faces aswell. All the people at this tournament made the tournament worthwhile and I will definetly go again next time. Paris is a frigging beautifull city and the subway system rocks ^^.

PS: I think somebody's sweather fell in my luggage. It has jordan as brand name I think and the number 23 on the back.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well, first of all a shout out to the Germans! (Yomi, Shyne, 1wingedangel, Lexxil, Ravenlord, etc) It was great seeing you guys again!
Shout outs to AE, Allure, Benjamin and the few Dutch players that played Brawl with me (forgot the names, sorry guys -_-) as well!

I had a great time and I'm really looking forward to an ESA3. However, as a Kirby main I'm a bit dissapointed that the lowtier tournament got cancelled... It would've been a chance for me to get further than just first poules :p

And dang! All of my matches in the first poule (except against Marc and FatalityCC) where SOOOOO close! If I just had some more sleep I could've made it to second poules! (Yeah, I'm johning, sue me :p)

Really though, had a great time but I feel some things could've been handled a bit better... (They've all been pointed out before though so I won't go over them again)

Anyone fun who attended who wishes to contact me, just PM me and I'll give you my MSN address!

Slhoka

Smash Lord
This tournament suffered from such a bad organisation. It was the exact opposite of ESA1 : a success regarding of the people coming (231 attendants), but a failure in organisation compared to ESA1 which was almost perfect.
Sorry everyone for the tons of lagging TVs and the housing and every other problems.
I'll detail later, and I'll post the results this evening or tomorrow (as soon as they're validated on Nealdt's website, in fact).

Edit : About the topics for results and discussing the organisation, I think we could discuss the organisation here, and I will create a topic in the tournament results room so we can post our shoutouts and discuss about the results.

Edit 2 : It's Slhoka, not Shloka ^^'

Luffy Dahean

Smash Apprentice
HI HI HI HI!!! Finally in home ^-^

First of all, forgive my bad english, I think it was a bit hard to speak with me, something like "WTF are you talking about, I dont understand you" T_T

Congrats Amsah for first place, I wish I could play you more games >.<

Thx to everyone who doesnt understimate spanish smashers, Aldwyn, Yuna (I owe you a money match >.<), Acherontic and other players who was asking me about my pools, thx everyone.

Im a bit mad about the team prices (600 euros first team), but its ok, I dont play for money, I just want to play in order to improve my level and become stronger, thats the only thing I want. Next time, I will try to place myself highger in singles :p

Makenshin is the ****ing spanish slayer, he beats Over, Urulok, and me xDD, good **** Makenshin, next time I will beat you, just wait :p

PS: I should buy a Strawhat, its ridiculous when people call you "Strawhat" and you dont have a Strawhat.

PS for some people: Some of you guys (I will not say who) should respect other players, they are smashers like you, it doesnt matter if the are better or worse, you have to respect them.

Good luck!!

Btw...

"t.t @ team winners"

What do you mean, cort? >.<

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
sorry slhoka, its a habit from when i didnt know better xD
and sometimes it mightbe a typo :D

congratz to strawhat and over :D i think this was the most surprising thing at the tournament...
i had Over in my second pool, and i somehow thought he wasn´t so incredibly good, that he´d win something xD (no offense ^^)

i didnt play you sadly :(

gogo for ESA 3 in a few month? fu** next year? new tourney, better TVs, and everythings allright? ^^

edit: joo madnexx ^^ see you next time :) maybe you can come with the other belgian guy then ... or get the other smasher there too, that way there´ll be 4 female smashers (omg amazing xD)

@Zeta (i dont know if you read in here, but w/e ^^) why arent you in top 3 teams? what happened?

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
HI HI HI HI!!! Finally in home ^-^

First of all, forgive my bad english, I think it was a bit hard to speak with me, something like "WTF are you talking about, I dont understand you" T_T

Congrats Amsah for first place, I wish I could play you more games >.<

Thx to everyone who doesnt understimate spanish smashers, Aldwyn, Yuna (I owe you a money match >.<), Acherontic and other players who was asking me about my pools, thx everyone.

Im a bit mad about the team prices (600 euros first team), but its ok, I dont play for money, I just want to play in order to improve my level and become stronger, thats the only thing I want. Next time, I will try to place myself highger in singles :p

Makenshin is the ****ing spanish slayer, he beats Over, Urulok, and me xDD, good **** Makenshin, next time I will beat you, just wait :p

PS: I should buy a Strawhat, its ridiculous when people call you "Strawhat" and you dont have a Strawhat.

PS for some people: Some of you guys (I will not say who) should respect other players, they are smashers like you, it doesnt matter if the are better or worse, you have to respect them.

Good luck!!

Btw...

"t.t @ team winners"

What do you mean, cort? >.<
this t.t means just like.
wtf.
is it right that over and you where at pund 3?

however pretty nice tourney, but i missed so much freeplay b/c of the tvs so that there was actaully one room fpr like 200 people.

i messed up pools to which sucked too... gnah

but it was nice too see fox128, zerop, serpit, luma, ravenlord, ps, deglory, uck, madnexx, AE!, piza and to play 2 matches against aldwyn rofl.

thx qlex for housing.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
@ Slhoka: It was more an idea to make a thread about euro tourney organisation( but the running then) as a whole not just this tournament. Each large tourney we have had had these issues besides DT10 and XTC3 ( but these had less attendants I recall). So maybe it's time to discuss suggested and make agreements on how the running can be improved.

Luffy Dahean

Smash Apprentice
this t.t means just like.
wtf.
is it right that over and you where at pund 3?
Yep, but we fought pretty bad (was Over's fault ¬¬). He suicides a lot, like 2 stocks per match with less than 20%, but this tournament he plays really good, and me too. We will keep on practicing, next time we will do better in America, we just need more practice >.<

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
Yep, but we fought pretty bad (was Over's fault ¬¬). He suicides a lot, like 2 stocks per match with less than 20%, but this tournament he plays really good, and me too. We will keep on practicing, next time we will do better in America, we just need more practice >.<
and yeah what dou you thin abaout amsah then, after playing against some american guys recently ;-) ?

Luffy Dahean

Smash Apprentice
I think I dont have enough level to give an opinion, but well, I will try ^^

I dont know how to rank players, I didnt play PC in Pound 3. The american players... it seems they have a completly different style at playing, I mean, almost all are very smarter at playing and sometimes they seem unpredictable, I dont have this feeling with any european smasher, but I have it with Captain Jack. I think that play different version (PAL or NTSC) could make people play with a VERY DIFFERENT style.

Amsah in Pound 3... I dont know, maybe something like top 8 or top 16 (depends on brackets). I dont know Amsah's NTSC Sheik (When I attend to Pound, I had been playing NTSC just for 1 week... alone in training). The version is VERY important ^^

Urulok

Smash Apprentice
a great tournament, I could play with a lot of people and I have learned very much...

Smasher89: I want play you more ICs dittos, only we play one. :urg:
My msn is foxmccloud385@hotmail.com added me or tell me your MSN please.

Amsah: I'm still waiting for play with you !!! congrat for the first place in singles ^^

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
lololol was fun ^__________^

no johns ivootness, don't get annoyed =x
I'm always annoyed when i'm out of the tournament, i think i played bad there. And i hate the fact that i lose to any marth out there. But who cares? I have the right to make as many johns as i want ;)

I'm not mad at you though, i was only mad at myself. You beat me fair, GG.

GEEK28

Smash Apprentice
hello, apparently me bro (mrp) and paul (zepo) were refused houseing last night at this tuniment. there phones are not working and i cant get in contact with them, is there anyone who knows what hapind to them and where thay are now?

can contact me at:
msn smash_master_craig@hotmail.com

Samochan

Smash Master
Tourney was nice, albeit it was really hectic for me to get around anywhere and I managed to mess up so many times on metro and rer it wasn't even funny. >_> I suck lol. And Marc already said what I thought, mindgames lawl. Many thanks to Lex for housing us, it was too good. :3 Moar shoutouts on teh other thread.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
I totally messed up the second round of pools. The first two 2-0s were just too close, so I kind of lost all motivation to keep trying.

I'll start encoding the videos soon. The whole thing was a bit chaotic and I didn't get to record that much. Maybe the hosts didn't undststand it (can't remember telling them though), but I had enough room for 24/7 recording for the two whole days, from two TVs at the same time.
The teams finals (and a few more "important" teams matches) are not on video because some Cycom guy really needed the power cord I was using before it was finished. Maybe someone with a camera...?

I also probably won't be able to identify most of the matches, so there will be lots of unnamed videos which you can download, watch and tell me who was playing.

Thank you Slhoka for being the only one really trying to keep the tournament running. At least you were the one I saw helping people all the time and never playing friendlies.
Thank you JD for kicking us out. No offence, but I didn't really enjoy the stay. 20 people in a small apartment just doesn't work. I have no idea who started ít all by blocking your toilet, but I think it's pretty obvious the swedes had nothing to do with the rest of the "devastation".

And once again I suddenly realized how perfectly Stockholm's local traffic actually works. Paris' subway is probably the worst subway I've seen/used =)

I wouldn't have wanted to miss this trip even if I knew it would be like this, but right now I have no plans to do it again. Especially if "they [swedes] will never get it [housing] in the future".

Top Bottom