• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Embarrasing noob question

Smash Master
Sometimes when I'm standing near the edge, I go for an A,A combo, but my opponent shields, pushes me off the stage, attacks first,w/e, and I end up nairing orr the stage to my death. It happens like once a match. How do I prevent this from happening? Jabbing is a very practial option when backed against the ledge for creating space.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
is it possible to use the 2nd part of the jab with the C-stick?

better a bair by mistake then a nair.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Don't worry. We've ALL gone through the problem..... This is pretty much a rite of passage for Ike mains.... xD

Anyway, you're just gonna have to watch whenever you're jabbing near the edge... If you see that you get pushed off, stop pushing A immediately...

I'll tell you what really helped me to stop this though... Whenever I'm at the ledge and I want to jab, I'll just hold the A button down. It will still go through the entire jab, and you can still jab cancel, but if you get pushed off the edge, Ike's nair won't initiate. =P

EDIT: What twoskilld4u said would probably work too. I think my way is better though, especially since you won't use ANY aerial when pushed off...

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
yeah.... when people see ike jump i think they have learned that ike will either perform an nair or a fair and may be willing to shield....this may lead into a grab...

but it is very effective for those who don't see it coming.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Snake ALWAYS dies when it happens, pretty sure Ike does too.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Nair lasts a long time... he has to full jump and nair at the same time to even complete it.

Smash Master
If I hold A, I can still jab cancel!?

By golly that's amazing. And here I am thinking that I may have to use an iota of tech skill.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Wait...Snake can for sure survive a walk-off Nair...what the heck are you guys talking about?

Edit: He can even survive a walk-off Fair.

Unless you mean if he fast falls, then yeah he's gonna die...but that goes for a lot of people.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Nair has a surprising amount of lag and it is four kicks.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Try n F-Tilt, it'll knock some sense into yr enemy. And hey, if it gets shielded, the lag won't allow you to preform another move until you grab the ledge.

Smash Master
Well, the nair and the jab are the same button input, and there's really no way to predict when I'll be pushed off.

I'll try holding A; that sounds like what a good Ike would do.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Try n F-Tilt, it'll knock some sense into yr enemy. And hey, if it gets shielded, the lag won't allow you to preform another move until you grab the ledge.
Yeah................................... Until they spotdodge and hit you off the stage.... <.<

Ebby56

Smash Cadet
This happened to me a lot, actually. First jab is shielded, second jab turns into an ugly Nair.

When your back is against the stage, use one of ike's other options, ones that I find work decently well:

jab-bthrow (this can set up a spike as well)
jab-fthrow/dthrow (To create space)
SH-Nair/Fair/Bair(turning on the Bair)
Shield-grab

Some other tricks that might not be as effective:

Double-jump QD to create space
jab-Dsmash/Dtilt
Ftilt
Utilt
Aether
Just jumping (or jumping over him, may work for slower characters.)
Pivot grab/rolling dodge.

Try some of these out!

joshscorcher

Smash Cadet
That's the curse of the Ike mainer.
Happens to me constantly.
I found that if you only use it in the center of the stage and start countering when you start getting close to the edge, or when you knocked someone of and they're getting beck up, then you're fine.

MyCurse4Life

Smash Ace
Sometimes when I'm standing near the edge, I go for an A,A combo, but my opponent shields, pushes me off the stage, attacks first,w/e, and I end up nairing orr the stage to my death. It happens like once a match. How do I prevent this from happening? Jabbing is a very practial option when backed against the ledge for creating space.
This isen't embarrasing, i think everyone had the same problem.

Top Bottom