• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Spirits definitely aren't as hard a deconfirm as an Assist Trophy, and it's at least good to see X hasn't been forgotten like a few people on this board were worried about. So, first order of business in Ultimate will be to find Elma's spirit, level it up, and never unequip it until I learn what her DLC fate is.

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Dead serious, I will never buy a Sora Ltd game again, if they think that is enough representation for Xenoblade X.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Fire Emblem Three Houses avatar
Pokémon 8 Gen starter
Metroid Prime 4 character

But like I said, we don't know when the DLC have been decided by Nintendo.
If Rex was to new to be considerd for base, I feel a Tree houses rep could also be unlikely and while Sylux could work, Metroid is complete imo

Pokemon I'll give a pass, they are a rule breakers and we already known now that Incineroar was chosen after USUM, so a Gen 8 mon could already be decided and it could be corevealed with the Gen 8 reveal.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Backtracking a little bit, Hitagi's leak claiming a first party swordfighter could very well be the Protagonist from Dragalia Lost. I had a hunch ever since that Elma would be a spirit instead. I am sad, I didnt want my hunch to be true.....

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Well, someone needs to tell the K.Rool and Wii Fit Trainer fans that they're going to have to find a new main since they're both spirits. Seriously though, Spirits are NOT a deconfirmation.

And if I can, I will play through the entirety of World of Light with Elma equipped. It'll make the pain a little more bearable. :drflip:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Well the spirit's name is Kaptain K Rool, not King K Rool, so he might be considered as "different" in his spirit form. Elma name is Elma as a spirit. Is Daisy spirit name Daisy?

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Well, someone needs to tell the K.Rool and Wii Fit Trainer fans that they're going to have to find a new main since they're both spirits. Seriously though, Spirits are NOT a deconfirmation.

And if I can, I will play through the entirety of World of Light with Elma equipped. It'll make the pain a little more bearable. :drflip:
To be fair, the K. Rool and WFT spirits are Kaptain K. Rool and the Tree pose; they don't call them by name.

Might be a technicality but it's something we should consider.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*
Least we can hope for, given how long we had to wait for this, is that there is X music in the game, it's just hidden somehow.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
*sigh*
Least we can hope for, given how long we had to wait for this, is that there is X music in the game, it's just hidden somehow.
To put on the tinfoil hat for a moment, then - if they had purposefully excluded characters that end up being DLC as Spirits, wouldn't that have made it extremely obvious who they're gonna be? I still feel like the fate of the X music is going to be the deciding thing for us in the near future.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
To be fair, the K. Rool and WFT spirits are Kaptain K. Rool and the Tree pose; they don't call them by name.

Might be a technicality but it's something we should consider.
True, but in my opinion, it's enough to count. Plus, Spirits are replacing trophies, so I still have hope. There are too many things that seem suspicious at the moment for me. A lack of X music is just so strange, unless it's unlockable. I still have hope for the possibility, even if I'm not expecting Elma all that much.

All this talk of Spirits make me wonder, what are the odds that the Minecraft representation is just a Steve Spirit? Could be an interesting development to see how many people would jump off the Steve for DLC bandwagon.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Well seeing Elma as a Spirit is kind of a bummer TBH. But not everything is lost.
I think that it is wise to just wait for the game to come out in order to see if Spirits do deconfirm characters or not.
We still have no XCX songs going for us, which is more than most other characters can say about themselves. And maybe this is really another Lucas and Mewtwo case where they a Trophy for them when they were planned for DLC by using their model from Brawl and Pokemon X/Y, just like how Elma's Spirits uses her artwork.
Also if they really left out the DLC fighters they would have been extremely easy to find out, which is something that Nintendo and Sakurai want to avoid because it would remove all the hype from them.

D

Deleted member

I never thought Spirits deconfirmed characters in the first place tbh

Yeah you could say that characters were decided a while ago therefore why would Sakurai add a Spirit of a DLC character but I HIGHLY doubt that Mewtwo and Lucas were decided to be in Smash 4 DLC only right after Smash 3DS was released. Why would there be a trophy of them in Smash 4 before DLC (and keep in mind Spirits take waaaaaay less effort then trophies). Spirits are essentially low effort trophies, which never deconfirmed characters either. This doesn't effect Elma's chances.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben only said Minecraft content, he never confirmed a fighter. So yes spirit is not impossible.

But if spirits deconfirm characters, then it means no Elma, no Dixie Kong, No Bandana Dee, no Pyra, etc. A big purge

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Also if they really left out the DLC fighters they would have been extremely easy to find out, which is something that Nintendo and Sakurai want to avoid because it would remove all the hype from them.
You arent wrong in that regard. Although hanging onto hope atm seems a bit tough for me. I think I will look forward to playing the game first before I try to speculate more.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
All this plot twist drives me crazy. AHHH.

I'm going to listen X OST while eating ice cream I think haha.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
We also need to not forget that Elma got a new style in XC2 Season Pass. Maybe it could be her new design as a fighter and her old design will be left as a spirit.

D

Deleted member

If spirits deconfirm fighters then there are like 3 possible fighters left and they're all third party lmaoo

There are hundreds of spirits in the game. They take waaay less effort to put in the game then trophies, and I would assume there would be waaaay more Spirits as there were Trophies. That would be literally thousands of characters deconfirmed lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

aarchak

Smash Ace
Guys, we are all losing our way. Y'all need some protection. I've never thought that Spirits disconfirm characters, and so I still think Elma has a shot.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I HIGHLY doubt that Mewtwo and Lucas were decided to be in Smash 4 DLC only right after Smash 3DS was released. Why would there be a trophy of them in Smash 4 before DLC (and keep in mind Spirits take waaaaaay less effort then trophies). Spirits are essentially low effort trophies, which never deconfirmed characters either. This doesn't effect Elma's chances.
That's an excellent point, actually. I don't think we ever got any confirmation on when exactly Mewtwo and Lucas being DLC for Smash 4 was decided, or did we?

Guys, we are all losing our way. Y'all need some protection. I've never thought that Spirits disconfirm characters, and so I still think Elma has a shot.
Hello? Is there anyone there?
. . .I need a bigger gun.

Not to sound cliché, but this Spirit confirmation sucks.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Somewhat sad, but at the same time...a whole Spirit battle for Elma! I think it helps I love Spirit battles. Knowing that she's in in some way is nice, even if I'm sad we didn't even get a Mii costume. I hope X music is in the game, at least.

I'm not totally giving up hope, of course, but I'm adjusting my expectations accordingly. She will be a nice surprise if confirmed, and if not, it's been a good run. Maybe Lora will get in, or KOS-MOS, or Elma will get her chance once X 2 comes out. It's mostly a shame we had to wait so long and I can't help but be a little upset that Rex got so much focus in the last direct. Just being real!

On the brightest side, this pushed X and Elma up the ranks so hard, which when I started supporting her I never thought would happen. We definitely got farther than expected in the fan polls, and that's really nice.

Of course, it's not like a Blade member to give up!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Somewhat sad, but at the same time...a whole Spirit battle for Elma! I think it helps I love Spirit battles. Knowing that she's in in some way is nice, even if I'm sad we didn't even get a Mii costume. I hope X music is in the game, at least.

I'm not totally giving up hope, of course, but I'm adjusting my expectations accordingly. She will be a nice surprise if confirmed, and if not, it's been a good run. Maybe Lora will get in, or KOS-MOS, or Elma will get her chance once X 2 comes out. It's mostly a shame we had to wait so long and I can't help but be a little upset that Rex got so much focus in the last direct. Just being real!

On the brightest side, this pushed X and Elma up the ranks so hard, which when I started supporting her I never thought would happen. We definitely got farther than expected in the fan polls, and that's really nice.

Of course, it's not like a Blade member to give up!
ehhh idk if Lora really has a chance

For starters, it's likely that Rex himself was too late to join the roster. And if he wasn't somehow, there's no way in hell that Lora will be chosen over Rex. Rex is far more iconic then Lora, or really any Xeno protagonist other then Shulk nowadays (you could argue KOS-MOS is more iconic, but she's been mostly forgotten over time despite being the coolest Xeno protag) in terms of recognizability/promotion for Xenoblade. Which is a shame, because Lora has a waaaay cooler design then Rex does even though Rex is a better character imo

Last edited by a moderator:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Do we have footage of Elma's spirit battle? I feel that could make or break if X music is in the basegame, because honestly it would feel out of place to have her battle with music from XC1 or XC2, but thats what they most likely would do if there isn't X music in the game.

D

Deleted member

Do we have footage of Elma's spirit battle? I feel that could make or break if X music is in the basegame, because honestly it would feel out of place to have her battle with music from XC1 or XC2, but thats what they most likely would do if there isn't X music in the game.
Do Spirit Battles typically have special music?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
ehhh idk if Lora really has a chance

For starters, it's likely that Rex himself was too late to join the roster. And if he wasn't somehow, there's no way in hell that Lora will be chosen over Rex. Rex is far more iconic then Lora, or really any Xeno protagonist other then Shulk nowadays (you could argue KOS-MOS is more iconic, but she's been mostly forgotten over time despite being the coolest Xeno protag) in terms of recognizability/promotion for Xenoblade. Which is a shame, because Lora has a waaaay cooler design then Rex does even though Rex is a better character imo
I'll be real I just think Lora and Jin have way cool designs and I love them a whole bunch from what I've played of Torna which is why I namedropped them. KOS-MOS would be so good. Probably my ideal Xeno rep, even slightly above Elma, Elma just seemed more likely and I loved X and wanted her to stand with the rest of the legends in Smash.

Hey, maybe there will be an Elma Mii costume they just didn't show off for some reason, or something. That'd be nice. Again, it helps I actually like Miis. Haha.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Do Spirit Battles typically have special music?
Some battles do have it. Classic mode is also themed per franchise

Master Hand is replaced by Bowser and Giga Bowser for Mario and the Bowser theme of Mario Bros 3 plays in the Bowser phase and Giga Bowser Melee in the Giga Bowser phase.

So I could easily see Metal Face as the Classic mode boss for Shulk and Dracula for the Belmonts, with their respective music

D

Deleted member

I'll be real I just think Lora and Jin have way cool designs and I love them a whole bunch from what I've played of Torna which is why I namedropped them. KOS-MOS would be so good. Probably my ideal Xeno rep, even slightly above Elma, Elma just seemed more likely and I loved X and wanted her to stand with the rest of the legends in Smash.

Hey, maybe there will be an Elma Mii costume they just didn't show off for some reason, or something. That'd be nice. Again, it helps I actually like Miis. Haha.
I mean, they didn't show off the Nia mii costume in the direct. There are definitely some mii costumes we don't know about yet!

Also, KOS-MOS IMO would be the best Xeno rep even though I want Rex and Elma. She would rep the origins of Takahasi and Saga's work, and I would love to see her moveset yes I know xenogears came first but the ip is owned by square and square is stingy af

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I feel KOS-MOS is something we underestimate, because Namco is currently underrepped and she is a crossover allstar to.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He is the only Namco rep and Namco are the ones helping to develop the game yet again, so its a bit weird they get shafted, while Capcom and Konami got the royal treatment with 2 series + echoes
I do predict a Namco rep in DLC, but I think it'll be Lloyd Irving considering how famous he is

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
If DLC is all third party, I wouldn't be too upset considering how many Nintendo All-Stars that we have in Smash. Like it or not, Elma's not the face of Xenoblade. That's Shulk. Any representation is better than none, in my opinion.

So, if all DLC is 3rd party, I'd love to see Banjo-Kazooie (Microsoft), Geno (Square Enix), Phoenix Wright (Capcom), Lloyd Irving/KOS-MOS (Bandai Namco), and The Prince from Katamari Damacy (also Namco). Don't know how likely any of them are, but they're all pretty cool in my book.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If DLC is all third party, I wouldn't be too upset considering how many Nintendo All-Stars that we have in Smash. Like it or not, Elma's not the face of Xenoblade. That's Shulk. Any representation is better than none, in my opinion.

So, if all DLC is 3rd party, I'd love to see Banjo-Kazooie (Microsoft), Geno (Square Enix), Phoenix Wright (Capcom), Lloyd Irving/KOS-MOS (Bandai Namco), and The Prince from Katamari Damacy (also Namco). Don't know how likely any of them are, but they're all pretty cool in my book.
That's a lineup I can get behind. My most-wanted in Phoenix, one of two "impossible" JRPG reps, a cool out-there choice from a classic series in The Prince, and Geno and Banjo as fan faves. Of course, my dream lineup would also include Travis Touchdown, but you can't win 'em all!

Honestly, seeing Elma as a full Spirit Battle actually made me happier rather than disappointed. Even if she isn't playable it just shows she isn't forgotten. That was my biggest worry - X would get nothing. Instead she's important in the big single player mode I'm excited for.

Top Bottom