• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Disappointed? Yes. But I'll still take Elma no matter what. On the positive side, with the changes to My Music, I'd still be able to hear music from X by going to Gaur Plain.
Yeah its a shamed like this smash game is looking absolute incredible but only 4 new unique stages is really a bummer.

If there is no more stages left that means the last newcomers are from already represented series so could be a plus for Elma

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Yeah its a shamed like this smash game is looking absolute incredible but only 4 new unique stages is really a bummer.

If there is no more stages left that means the last newcomers are from already represented series so could be a plus for Elma
There is also the Ancestral Steppe from Monster Hunter that we saw alongside Rathalos, we still don't exactly know what that is. It could be another stage, or it could just be there for the Boss Rush mode everybody seems convinced is coming. I'd be cool with getting a Mira stage just for a mode like that, X doesn't have any shortage of bosses to choose from; like Telethia, Ryyz and Daghan, Goetia, Vita, or if Sakurai wants to get really spoilery:

Chimera Lao.

Royaru

Smash Cadet
Well, FE has many characters and only three stages. I think the number of stage means nothing for chance of a newcomer.
I mean, if the stage confirm or disconfirm a character, we would have characters from pilotwings, Hanenbow, Ballom fighters or Nintendogs, and wouldn't have Rob.
Also, Smash4 had Skyloft and no character from SS, and currently we have Bridge of Eldin and nothing from TP.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Well, FE has many characters and only three stages. I think the number of stage means nothing for chance of a newcomer.
I mean, if the stage confirm or disconfirm a character, we would have characters from pilotwings, Hanenbow, Ballom fighters or Nintendogs, and wouldn't have Rob.
Also, Smash4 had Skyloft and no character from SS, and currently we have Bridge of Eldin and nothing from TP.
To add onto that, I've seen no hint of a new DK stage anywhere but we still got K. Rool in.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
I doubt we've seen all the stages at this point. At e3, Sakurai emphasized the number of characters, too. Then next direct, he added KKR, Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, and Chrom.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Was there anything new at Gamescon regarding Xenoblade? Or do we still have to wait.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I’m just going to say this: if Elma’s not in the base roster, then I don’t see any reason why she can’t get in as DLC alongside Rex. XCX will most likely receive a port on the Switch next year and IIRC Monolith Soft said that they’re planning to focus their attention next on the X subseries after DLC for XC2 wraps up, so she’ll surely stay relevant and important for the Xenoblade series in the long term. Which is something Sakurai should keep note of if he’s planning on doing promotional DLC.

That’s also not getting into the possibility that Elma may have been seriously considered for the base roster, but was dropped as lower priority when emphasis was further placed on ballot characters. So if they decide to do characters that were dropped during development as DLC, and if Elma was one of those characters, then she could very well get a second chance there.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Was there anything new at Gamescon regarding Xenoblade? Or do we still have to wait.
Still waiting, altough our day is likely going to be tomorrow.
Since I live in Europe for me following the event isn't a problem, so whenever something comes out I will post it here.

Also, talking about the Ballot, Sakurai never indicated that it was a popularity contest, but that "every request will be considered". Technically a single vote for Elma might be enought;)

In regards of the possible absence of a Xenoblade X stage, while that is disappointing, Elma in the game is fine enought. As long as X music is on Gaur Plain tho.
Still I really can't decide whenever or not those 103 stages are really all the ones whe are getting. They are already an enourmous number, but there are so many things not making sense (the odd alignment, with 6 empty spaces, when 104 can be placed in a perfect 13×8 rectangle, or how none of those stages imply any newcomer) that something might be up.
The one thing sure is that not having seen anything from X yet is reassuring, since the game was such a big deal during the Wii U era that they aren't going to ignore it, and if they keep everything secret then there must be an explanation...

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
The one thing sure is that not having seen anything from X yet is reassuring, since the game was such a big deal during the Wii U era that they aren't going to ignore it, and if they keep everythung secret then there must be an explanation...
The lack of anything X related is reassuring. There's been no items, no assist trophies, no music (come to think of it, the only Xenoblade song we've heard so far is the Gaur Plain theme which only plays in Shulk's character trailer. That strikes me as... suspicious.) no nothing, really.

And considering games like Fire Emblem Heroes and Snipperclips are represented in one way or another, I doubt Sakurai would just leave X out.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
The lack of anything X related is reassuring. There's been no items, no assist trophies, no music (come to think of it, the only Xenoblade song we've heard so far is the Gaur Plain theme which only plays in Shulk's character trailer. That strikes me as... suspicious.) no nothing, really.

And considering games like Fire Emblem Heroes and Snipperclips are represented in one way or another, I doubt Sakurai would just leave X out.
So true there is no way X would't get any representation like cmon it would of been release worldwide by the start of the Proposal plan. the timing is so perfect. No better time to dumb all the X stuff with a character reveal ;)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Yeah, Sakurai isn't ignoring recent content:
-We have music from Fire Emblem Heroes, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and Snipperclips
-Stages and costumes based on Zelda Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey
-Nikki, Badge Arcade Bunny and Pikmin 3's Snagret as AT
-Fox, Falco and Wolf are based on Star Fox Zero
-Zelda is based partly on A Link Between Worlds
-The vast majority of new Pokéball Pokémon are from Sun and Moon
-The entirity of Splatoon representation

He is giving love to recent games, even minir ones, so completely skipping X is impossible, and if they are keeping its content hidden...

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm starting to think Sakurai Is being honest about the stage limit.

So Elma gets in but without a stage would you be disappointed?
Honestly, not really. I care way more about characters than stages, and the Xenoblade series does atleast already have a stage (even if it's based on XC1 and not XCX).

Also, if I had to pick one of my favorite songs from Xenoblade Chronicles X, It'd easily be this:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
As I've mentioned earlier, I actually was at Gamescom today, and from what they said on the stage show and related events there, tomorrow is going to be focussed on Smash. So if we hear anything new about Smash Ultimate at Gamescom, it's most likely going to be tomorrow, I think. And this is just my two cents, but I feel like if Elma in 2 is revealed alongside her showing up in Smash, I feel like the latter would come before the former. If they did it the other way round, it would make it pretty obvious who the Smash trailer is about, and that's a bit counter-productive, I feel.

Anyway, in regards to the actual stage discussion: I actually would be rather bummed if there wasn't an X stage to accompany Elma. And on that note, I think the most likely stage would, in my eyes, be a Primordia stage based around Talon Rock/those floating islands near it, with a perfect view of NLA. Primordia and NLA are the most iconic locations/images from X, so it'd only make sense to feature them as a stage.
Even if Sylvalum would be far more interesting.

Now, in regards to the question of the day:
  • Uncontrollable
  • The Key We've Lost
  • Sylvalum (Night)
  • Your Voice
  • Noctilum (Day)

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
As I've mentioned earlier, I actually was at Gamescom today, and from what they said on the stage show and related events there, tomorrow is going to be focussed on Smash. So if we hear anything new about Smash Ultimate at Gamescom, it's most likely going to be tomorrow, I think. And this is just my two cents, but I feel like if Elma in 2 is revealed alongside her showing up in Smash, I feel like the latter would come before the former. If they did it the other way round, it would make it pretty obvious who the Smash trailer is about, and that's a bit counter-productive, I feel.

Anyway, in regards to the actual stage discussion: I actually would be rather bummed if there wasn't an X stage to accompany Elma. And on that note, I think the most likely stage would, in my eyes, be a Primordia stage based around Talon Rock/those floating islands near it, with a perfect view of NLA. Primordia and NLA are the most iconic locations/images from X, so it'd only make sense to feature them as a stage.
Even if Sylvalum would be far more interesting.

Now, in regards to the question of the day:
  • Uncontrollable
  • The Key We've Lost
  • Sylvalum (Night)
  • Your Voice
  • Noctilum (Day)
Oooh! If the 1.5.2 update is indeed coming out this week, then Monolith Soft has to announce Elma for XC2 in 10 hours. It is the only opportunity for this week.

The timing is really strange... I just want this week to be over with. T_T

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Personally I think Elma would definitely be Nintendo direct character reveal instead of a smash direct one. I know I'm sounding like a broken record here but a X port with her getting announced in the same direct is the perfect advertisement for X

Last edited:

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Even though some of the character choices are based on the ballot, I don't think it's all of them. Inkling would have been in regardless, Ridley and K Rool were likey the only characters chosen from the Ballot(maybe the returning veterans as well), Simon/Richter were requested a bit but I don't think they had much of a presence on the ballot.

I'm sure the ballot will be used a lot for popular picks but considering all the disconfirmations via ATs and what not, I doubt it's the end-all kind of thing.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Even though some of the character choices are based on the ballot, I don't think it's all of them. Inkling would have been in regardless, Ridley and K Rool were likey the only characters chosen from the Ballot(maybe the returning veterans as well), Simon/Richter were requested a bit but I don't think they had much of a presence on the ballot.

I'm sure the ballot will be used a lot for popular picks but considering all the disconfirmations via ATs and what not, I doubt it's the end-all kind of thing.
This is my little tinfoil hat theory. Were getting the most popular character for each Region from the ballot and then just relevant characters.

USA: Ridley
Japan: King K Rool
Europe: Bayonetta (still don't believe she won)

Simon Belmont is the Mega Man for this Smash game

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This is my little tinfoil hat theory. Were getting the most popular character for each Region from the ballot and then just relevant characters.

USA: Ridley
Japan: King K Rool
Europe: Bayonetta (still don't believe she won)

Simon Belmont is the Mega Man for this Smash game
Ridley was hardly a popular request on the ballot considering his boss predicament in 4. I should know, I remember seeing a lot of despondent Ridley fans voting for someone else they wanted because they felt he’d never get in, and especially not as DLC. I figured he just got in due to years of requests before then, with Sakurai having a change of heart in the mean time. I don’t think he even needed the ballot at all.

K. Rool was just a popular character all-around, though I think Inkling probably may have had him beat in Japan due to Splatoon’s crazy popularity over there. I could be wrong on this, though.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Ridley was hardly a popular request on the ballot considering his boss predicament in 4. I should know, I remember seeing a lot of despondent Ridley fans voting for someone else they wanted because they felt he’d never get in, and especially not as DLC. I figured he just got in due to years of requests before then, with Sakurai having a change of heart in the mean time. I don’t think he even needed the ballot at all.

K. Rool was just a popular character all-around, though I think Inkling probably may have had him beat in Japan due to Splatoon’s crazy popularity over there. I could be wrong on this, though.
Yeah your probably right i'm just so desperate for Elma to be a fighter. :(

Question for all who do you think the last fighters are?

Newcomers
1: Geno
2: Skull kid
3: Elma
4: Incineroar

Echoes
1: Ken
2: Shadow
3: Isabelle

Last edited:

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030

Newcomers

Echoes
Elma, Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, Incineroar, Bandanna Waddle Dee.
Not sure about Echo Fighters, they're smelly.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Newcomers

Echoes
I am too, yeah, lol. We're in the same boat after all. :p

I can't really say who the last newcomers are since I'm terrible with predictions, but I'm pretty confident on Shadow and Isabelle being Echoes. I think the odds are in their favor.

EDIT: After thinking about it, here's my predictions for the remaining newcomers (discounting Echoes):

1. Elma
2. Isaac
3. Monster Hunter
4. Incineroar
5. Banjo & Kazooie

I thought about Lloyd or Heihachi maybe getting in, but I'm not really feeling them atm.

Last edited:

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402

Newcomers

Echoes
Geno, Incineroar (or a pre-evo), Elma.

Echoes: Ms. Pacman, Dixie, Shadow, Isabelle, Ken

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice

Newcomers

Echoes
Newcomers: Elma, Bandana Dee, Decidueye, Geno, and maybe one last third-party character

Echo Fighters: Dixie Kong, Isabelle, and Shadow

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Newcomers

Echoes
Newcomers:
1. Elma
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3. Chorus Kids
4. Isaac
5. Gen 7 Pokémon
6. Some third party (Dante? Lloyd?)

Echoes:
1. Isabelle
2. Shadow
3. Ken
4. Dixie
5. Celica
6. Black Shadow

Last edited:

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99

Newcomers

Echoes
Majora's Mask is my favourite Zelda game and I do like Skull Kid, but I just don't see him making it into the game. I don't want to get my hopes us just to be disappointed because he hasn't been relevant in years (even though the mask is pretty iconic), he didn't do amazingly well in the ballot, has recently just gained popularity after not being shown as a assist, and I'd just rather have Impa as a newcomer for Zelda.

I know Decidueye is a popular pick for a Pokemon rep, but oh man Incineroar would be really cool as well.

I'm pretty indecisive on Geno's inclusion. Similar to Skull Kid, he's just not relevant anymore, but he seems to be one of the more requested characters among Smash fans, even though I don't think he's very big amongst gamers and they seem to be doing only really big third party characters.

Elma is likely imo for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

As for echoes I think Ken and Sonic are shoe-ins after Richter's reveal. I argued they'd cheapen the value of 3rd party characters, but Capcom and Sega are cooperating quite nicely with Nintendo ( as opposed to Square and their 2 soundtracks for Final Fantasy) and would willingly do it. Isabelle seems likely due to her and Animal Crossing's popularity and she's become somewhat of a mascot for the series. I'd personally love Medusa as an echo of Palutena and think she has a fair shot of getting in. Unrealistic picks for me are Micaiah as a Zelda echo (Black Knight replaces the Phantom) and maybe another Fire Emblem Character like Celica as a Robin echo. Oh and Black Shadow as a Captain Falcon echo.

As for DLC I think Edelgard, Sylux, and Springman are all good choices.

Sorry if this got just a little off topic.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Let's use L Loz18-Echo 's question for the QotD. I'm too lazy to come up with a question right now lol

Newcomers
-Elma
-Isaac
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Generation VII Pokemon
-KOS-MOS

Echoes
-Isabelle
-Dixie Kong
-Shadow
-Impa

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
What do you guys think Elma's special moves will be if she gets in?

Edit: Or this can be saved as a future QotD. Just saw your post, Bebe Mignon.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

Newcomers

Echoes

Newcomers:
Elma
Shantae(Fighter or not, I do expect her to make at least some kind of appearance in the game)
Isaac
Geno
Chorus Kids/Karate Joe
Banjo and Kazooie

Echoes:
Shadow
Isabelle
Ken
Dixie/Funky
Black Shadow

I don't really think he'll make it in, but Malos could be an echo for Shulk if they really wanted to. Plus, he'd make for a good villain character to represent the Xenoblade franchise.

And echo fighters don't necessarily have to fit in with the 2015 project plan, since Sakurai has traditionally filled up the roster with as many random clones as possible during the last few months of development, so I think there's a slim chance we could see Malos make the roster.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
I don't really think he'll make it in, but Malos could be an echo for Shulk if they really wanted to. Plus, he'd make for a good villain character to represent the Xenoblade franchise.

And echo fighters don't necessarily have to fit in with the 2015 project plan, since Sakurai has traditionally filled up the roster with as many random clones as possible during the last few months of development, so I think there's a slim chance we could see Malos make the roster.
My prediction for DLC will be that they will do it in packs. Like it would include one new fighter a echo and then a stage here's a example

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Pack

-Newcomer: Rex and Pyra
-Echo Fighter: Malos
-Stage: World Tree

I think that's how they will do it i hope. But yeah i can totally see Malos as a echo

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

No worries. People can still respond to your question if they want to. As long as people are engaged in multiple conversations in this thread, it will mean higher visibility for Elma in the Newcomer Speculation boards. We gotta keep supporting her. :)

jamesster445

Smash Lord

Considering that Ghost Factory and ShadowStrike are exclusive to her, those are a must.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Everyone needs to view this wonderful post by SuperiorTrashTalk from ResetEra. This sorta ties into your question, Luviant X Luviant X :)

New Smash thread? Time to talk about our Blade and savior Elma again.

1534987832790.png

Who is Elma? She's one of the major characters of Xenoblade Chronicles X. She's a colonel in Blade, a military organization working to help colonize the alien planet Mira for mankind after Earth was destroyed. Though Xenoblade X has you make an avatar character, the avatar does not have speaking lines or take a big role in the main storyline. Instead, Elma is the central character in the main story and also the face of the game. She's the first character you see in the game and the first party member you get, so you can play as her for the entire game. Because of this, she's a good candidate for representing Xenoblade X.

In the game, Elma is a Fullmetal Jaguar class which is focused on accuracy and evasion so I feel that she would be a speedy and acrobatic character like ZSS or Sheik. She moves very fast and can jump very high in the game so it would feel natural for her to be like this. She would fall a bit faster since in the game
Her tilts and aerials would be similar to the auto attacks she performs in the game.

Her tilts or jabs could also be based on her Stream Edge art:

Hundred Shells would be a great jab combo:

One of the things that Xenoblade X introduced to the Xenoblade series is the characters' ability to wield more than one weapon. Every character can use one melee and one ranged weapon and Elma is no different. She wields dual guns and swords. Her guns would be the Grenada brand Gemels like the ones here:

They're the same ones she uses in her official character art. I also think the blades on the ends of the guns would play a part in her moveset, which I'll explain in a bit. They type of swords she uses isn't super important but I figure the Grenada branded swords would be good for consistency's sake.

So much like Shulk was able to change his stats with his neutral special, Elma would also have a central mechanic based on her neutral special.

Neutral Special: Weapon Switch

Elma will switch between her guns and swords. Depending if she is holding her guns or swords, her tilts, jabs, aerials and smash attacks will have different properties. In gun stance, her normal attacks deal very little knockback but she shoots bullets every time she swings her guns increasing her range similar to how Bayonetta's Bullet Arts effect her normals. In sword stance, she has less range but she deals more knockback.

Basically, gun stance is to help build up damage while sword stance is for launching opponents off the stage.

Up Special: Shadowstrike

Elma flips up diagonally into the air. If the special button is pressed afterwards, Elma will slam down to the ground with her swords, dealing damage. If nothing is pressed, Elma will fall in a helpless state. If the attack hits the opponent from the front, they will be staggered for a moment. If it hits from behind it deals more damage and knockback.

Side Special: Electric Surge

Elma shoots an electric projectile straight in front of her that travels through multiple enemies. The projectile causes the character to be briefly stunned before it launches them. The amount of stun, knockback and damage increases the more % damage Elma has sustained. This is much like the move in Xenoblade X, where the less HP she has the more damage the attack does.

Down Special: Ghost Factory/Ghost Walker

Elma automatically walks forward a few paces with two illusory copies by her side. If she is hit by an attack during this, the copy will disappear instead of her being effected so Elma is completely invulnerable to 2 attacks no matter the damage of each attack. If she is hit by a third attack, no matter the strength, she will be knocked out of this state.

Elma can cancel the walk into an attack by pressing up, left, right. Elma will attack from the left, right or above according to the corresponding direction. The less copies she has, the more damage and knockback the attack does. If down is pressed, Elma will perform a side step dodge.

Forward Smash: Side Slash/Executioner

In sword stance, Elma thrusts both swords forward catching her opponent. The attack button can be pressed again to make Elma swing her swords out, launching the opponent.

In gun stance, the attack is similar but it does less knockback in exchange for reaching further.

Down Smash: Violent Streak/Violent Slash

In gun stance, Elma shoots her guns on both her sides. The sword stance version has less range but more power and knockback.

Up Smash: Low Position Strike

Elma doesn't really have an art that attacks directly up but she will aim upwards if the enemy is higher up than her. So her up smash would be her shooting directly above her or thrusting her swords skyward depending on her stance.

Dash Attack: Sliding Slinger

Elma slides forward with a kick while shooting bullets ahead of her in gun stance. In sword stance, she only slides with a kick.

Final Smash: Verus Skell

1534987902769.png

Elma calls down her skell. You then get a view from within the cockpit and can use four different arts to attack opponents on screen: a gatling gun, a laser beam, a flame grenade and a great sword. Each art can be used twice. Elma will leave her skell after she runs out of arts or if she is in the skell for longer than 15 seconds.

Possible taunts:

Victory quotes:
"I don't know why they even bother."
"Strength comes from experience, that's true on any planet."
"You had your chance."

Alt costume? Maybe one of the many outfits you can equip in X, or join Shulk on the beach or maybe her alt could be...

Last edited:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
I think its fairly clear Nintendo is giving more representation to most of there franchises that had no newcomers in smash 4:

Smash ultimate newcomers
Fire Emblem: 6 +1 Chrom echo
Metroid: 2 +2 Ridley and echo dark samus
Donkey Kong: 2 +1 Krooll (speculated echo Dixie)
Kirby: 3 (speculated waddle dee)
Xeno: 1 (speculated Elma/Rex)

Smash 4 newcomers
Fire emblem: 3 +3 (Fire Emblem blew up in popularity on 3ds)
Metroid: 2 (im counting zss and shiek as they were treated as separate characters in brawl)
Donkey Kong: 2
Kirby: 3
Xeno: +1 (Xenoblade didn't exist back in Brawl days)

Smash 4 added lots of characters from franchises that didn't exist in previous smash games while ultimate has so far expanded on franchises that were neglected in smash 4 excluding castlevania (which when you consider snake was missing in smash 4 it may have been an internal thing.
Overall Xenoblade is an expanding franchise and is most likely considered equal to these other franchises in Nintendo's eyes and if the current trend is correct another Xeno rep is highly likely.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Newcomers

Echoes
My personal prediction is

Unique:
-Elma
-Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep
-Isaac
-Gen VII Pokémon
-Bandana Dee

Echoes:
-Ken
-Shadow
-Isabelle
-Impa
-Dixie Kong

Echoes are really hard to predict, because if they work like how Lucina and Dark Pit were in Smash For (were they are balanced by using the original data) they could litterally add 100 echoes and not destroy game balance.

Everyone needs to view this wonderful post by SuperiorTrashTalk from ResetEra. This sorta ties into your question, Luviant X Luviant X :)
That moveset is great! Great job, SuperiorTrashTalk! This really proves how unique Elma would be in Smash!

My prediction for DLC will be that they will do it in packs. Like it would include one new fighter a echo and then a stage here's a example

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Pack

-Newcomer: Rex and Pyra
-Echo Fighter: Malos
-Stage: World Tree

I think that's how they will do it i hope. But yeah i can totally see Malos as a echo
That's actually quite a good idea. I've never tought of Malos as a Shulk echo, but be would work and provide a very cool villain to the game.
I just hope one of his taunts is "You little sh*t!", altough that will never happen sadly...

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Elma has one of the interesting cases when it comes to newcomers for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I do not believe I've ever seen anything quite like Elma's case in Smash's history before. Elma has a lot going for her but at the same time, there are some things that might be holding her back. I think Elma is truly a 50/50 character at this point.

+Xenoblade Chronicles X had released in Japan roughly 6 months before the roster started being planned. Not only was Elma relevant at the time but also Sakurai likely knew that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was in development which would also mean that the Xenoblade franchise as a whole would still be relevant near the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

-Elma may have also been in the same boat as Corrin. Not only did both Fire Emblem: Fates and Xenoblade Chronicles X release at the same time in Japan, but also at similar times in America too. I bring this up because Sakurai said that they specifically were looking for games that had just released or were about to be released when they were deciding what character to develop next. Sakurai said he was already worried about Fire Emblem overrepresentation in Smash but decided that Corrin was fun enough for that not to matter. If Sakurai was inherently worried about this, why would he go for a Fire Emblem character anyway? Was Elma not fun enough? Could he not envision Elma's moveset? Did he just not like her? There's not really a way for any of us to know.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about this too much since Corrin's inclusion was VERY likely more on Nintendo than Sakurai. It makes sense that they would try to market a new entry in an established franchise releasing on a console with a 60M user install base opposed to a franchise's second entry on a console with only around a 13M user install base.

+Xenoblade Chronicles X's composer, Hiroyuki Sawano was allegedly working on a secret project around the time Yoko Shimomura was also working on a secret project that happened to be Smash.

-Even if Hiroyuki Sawano's project was Smash, it's possible that it was only for a couple of tracks that would play on a new or pre-existing Xenoblade Chronicles stage. His work being included in Smash would not be indicative of a character.

+Elma's English voice actor, Caitlin Glass responded to someone on twitter asking if she wanted to see Elma in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with something along the lines of, "That would be rad." The fact that she didn't outright say she wasn't contacted is a big plus which means she hasn't exactly ruled it out.

-The fact that Caitlin Glass responded to anything related to Elma in Smash is already a bit concerning, though. However, it should be noted that Shulk's VA, Adem Howden stated that he had worked on "several very exciting games so far this year" around 3 months before Shulk was revealed as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U.

It's also possible that they reuse her lines from Xenoblade Chronicles X or even
record or reuse lines from Elma's appearance in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 if they end up not just reusing stuff from Xenoblade Chronicles X.
It is also possible that they could just use an entirely different Voice Actress if they can't get Catilin Glass to reprise her role for some reason.

+Xenoblade Chronicles X references and/or easter eggs basically don't exist in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to my knowledge. Meanwhile, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 is directly connected to 2 via a pretty big "reference" to the original game. The fact that Elma is going to show up in the DLC is quite strange considering there's nothing solid that actually connects Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2 to Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's entirely possible that Elma showing up in the DLC is a well-timed reminder of who Elma is and what game she came from to newer fans of the franchise.

-It's possible that Monolith just wants to add Elma as a sort of homage to Xenoblade Chronicles X or even just a way to gauge reactions to a possible Nintendo Switch port of the game.

+Back in 2016, Sakurai stated that he had purchased a toy mech Gundam for the gun it had as he wanted to use it as a reference for his next project which we now know is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Not only does the gun similar to the aesthetic of weapons present in Xenoblade Chronicles X but the actual mech heavily resembles the mech that Elma uses in her game. Perhaps Sakurai was intentionally misleading people about the gun? We know that in the past that he has used toys and models to help illustrate how he thinks a character should move in game. Maybe he wanted to draw attention away from the mech itself so people wouldn't look into it?

-The gun could also have been used as a reference for another item, assist trophy, trophy, stage element(For example, a Xenoblade Chronicles X stage where Elma's Skell appears.), or character. Prior to seeing the Inklings moveset, it was commonly assumed that it could have been used for the Inklings as there are several guns from Splatoon that happen to bear a resemblance to the gun the toy mech had. However, Nothing remotely resembling a rifle is used in the Inkling's movesets so it likely wasn't for them unless they happened chance one of the Inkling's moves. The next candidate, barring Elma, is a character from the Custom Robo series. Due to that franchise not being popular it's more likely that it's for Elma or someone else rather than a Custom Robo rep.

Though, a Custom Robo character would be cool.

-In his Famitsu column, Sakurai said that he had referred to the ballot when it came to character choices. Due to the timeing of Xenoblade Chronicles X's release, it isn't likely that Elma had any significant following as the game was only 6 months old in Japan and had only released worldwide near the conclusion of the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U ballot.

+While anecdotal, Simon and/or Richter did not seem to have a large voter base during the ballot either. Sakurai didn't mention or imply that they were in because of the ballot so it's very likely that non-popular ballot characters are possible.

There is also the possibility that adding Simon and/or Richter was a requirement from Konami to get Snake back in Smash Bros., however, I don't think this is all that likely since they probably see Snake in Smash as an advertisement to MGS.

It's possible that we could see Elma being a newcomer but it's also equally as possible that we don't see her in at all. It's pretty much up in the air at this point.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Spoilers out there...

As much as I love he fact that Elma is in XC2 and we might get to play as her (or use her I guess). WHY THE HELL IS SHE AN ENEMY... like no one is asking this and I need to know. Was she brainwashed? Did she think you were an enemy? Is she being controlled by someone else? Does Elma have a more deeper story in XC2?

Also here’s my answer for question of the day?

Newcomers:
1. Elma
2. Lycanroc
3. Rhythm Heaven
4. Isaac
5. Geno
6. Banjo
7. Sceptile? (Imma believe)
8. Isa? (I swear, I feel it happening...)

Echoes:
1. Isabelle
2. Felix

Last edited:

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice

Newcomers

Echoes
I will put this quote of sakurai first

"If a character’s publisher requests something specific of us or puts limitations on our use, we have to acquiesce and do it right by them – no matter the cost. It’s pretty difficult to coordinate and adjust contracts; production is kind of an excruciating process! In fact, we only barely got permission for everybody that’s appearing in Ultimate!"

With that anything is possible about third party, they can ask about anything to be put in the game because it's all about them if third party characters are back in this game, and as sakurai as said he need to acquiesce about any demand or there is a risk third party will not resign the contract and characters from previous game will not be back.

Newcomers
1: Hunter/Dante
2: Heichachi/ Kos-mos
3: Terra/Sora
5: Elma
6: Skullkid

Echoes:
3: Dixie
4: Geno (I don't see why they will put him as a brand new comer it could be an echo of a character even I dunno who)
5: Medusa
6: Black shadow (to make happy f-zero fan)
7: Isabelle

I think sakurai could give us a lot of echoes because it's not really demanding about man power or times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom