• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm keeping my Wii U because I, uh, like it?

The Switch ports are nice for people who skipped the Wii U, but their very existence doesn't somehow invalidate what I already own. The only Wii U game I've repurchased for the Switch was MK8, but that had a significant upgrade besides "now it's on the go".

It's staying under my living room TV until the next console generation, at least. I don't feel like paying full price to replay these games on a console that doesn't have my VC content or Wii library.
Yeah same, plus nintendo games aren't cheap whatsoever, I'm not paying £40 to play a game I already own when it's exactly the same lol

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
By "design choices" do you mean "Bowser Jr."?
Well he's just the tip of the iceberg. Like you can't even play a proper game of tennis like why only tie breaks or best of 3 games like what the hell. The story mode is the same reoccurring missions besides the quite few creative boss battle's. Lastly the music is just so bland. Mario tennis was the first game I've ever traded in like 5 years it just reeks of laziness. Which is sad because the game mechanics are quite good.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Well he's just the tip of the iceberg. Like you can't even play a proper game of tennis like why only tie breaks or best of 3 games like what the hell. The story mode is the same reoccurring mission besides the quite few creative boss battle's. Lastly the music is just so bland. Mario tennis was the first game I've ever traded in like 5 years it just reeks of laziness. Which is sad because the game mechanics are quite good.
I was really hyped for Aces while playing the demo, but after learning more about it, and watching some reviews, I think it might just be one of those games I get for real cheap one day for whenever I have friends over to play with, and probably never touch again tbh.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I was really hyped for Aces while playing the demo, but after learning more about it, and watching some reviews, I think it might just be one of those games I get for real cheap one day for whenever I have friends over to play with, and probably never touch again tbh.
Aces is a multiplayer game first. Solo modes rarely hold these kinds of games together, so on that front, I can accept the adventure mode being lackluster because it's not like Smash 4 had acceptable singleplayer content itself.

Where the game's biggest faults really lie is in the balancing. Its gameplay mechanics are amazing, but there are a select few characters that are very clearly superior and everyone online became obsessively good with them since the depth drew them in. The game desperately needs a Smash-like balance patch, because the online (clearly intended as the main course) will die out very quickly if Nintendo and Camelot just leave it hanging.

I'm already starting to veer away from it myself and just stick to local multiplayer. Over time, I'll probably accumulate enough gameplay to make it worth the $55 I got it for, but it'll be a while if they don't patch it.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Aces is a multiplayer game first. Solo modes rarely hold these kinds of games together, so on that front, I can accept the adventure mode being lackluster because it's not like Smash 4 had acceptable singleplayer content itself.

Where the game's biggest faults really lie is in the balancing. Its gameplay mechanics are amazing, but there are a select few characters that are very clearly superior and everyone online became obsessively good with them since the depth drew them in. The game desperately needs a Smash-like balance patch, because the online (clearly intended as the main course) will die out very quickly if Nintendo and Camelot just leave it hanging.

I'm already starting to veer away from it myself and just stick to local multiplayer. Over time, I'll probably accumulate enough gameplay to make it worth the $55 I got it for, but it'll be a while if they don't patch it.
Very true indeed character balance needs a huge rework but about the Adventure mode it boggles my mind how they did didn't include the option to retry a mission if you failed instead of having to go try the text again.

Back to Elma does anyone else want Elma's formal outfit as a Alt. it would so cool you can kick ass but look stylish at the same time.

Last edited:

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
I think all the rumors are saying King K Rool is next to be revealed but i think the rumor started on 4Chan so take it with a huge grain of salt.

Also we should listen to Elma's advice more often it speaks great wisdom
10/10 laughed really hard x'DD

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Very true indeed character balance needs a huge rework but about the Adventure mode it boggles my how they did didn't include the option to retry a mission if you failed instead of having to go try the text again.

Back to Elma does anyone else want Elma's formal outfit as a Alt. it would so cool you can kick *** but look stylish at the same time.
Yeah, same goes for the lack of selectable game length, but I'm confident both of those will get patched so they don't bother me too much right now.

Also, absolutely yes to the outfit! We don't have anybody wearing a full suit and tie (DK needs to step his game up), and Elma would be a great first as she looks quite spiffy wearing it!

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I've said it before, Xs strength was not really its story and characters, but Elma wasn't one of those dragging it down. While I personally don't think she's a mind blowing or even necessarily a standout character among all video game characters I still think she's a good character and represents a truly standout and amazing game with an excellent and deep combat system that would translate awesomely to Smash.

I love XCX, not Elma specifically, but Elma is an important part of X and the best way to bring it to Smash.
That makes sense, I guess I haven't really thought about all the additional XCX representation Elma's inclusion would bring. Personally I would love a huge New LA map (preferably under attack) for 8 player matches. I also really did like the soundtrack even when it was a tad repetitious.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Very true indeed character balance needs a huge rework but about the Adventure mode it boggles my how they did didn't include the option to retry a mission if you failed instead of having to go try the text again.

Back to Elma does anyone else want Elma's formal outfit as a Alt. it would so cool you can kick *** but look stylish at the same time.
Absolutely yes! She looks beautiful in this outfit, and it would be a nice sort of "joke" costume, like Shulk has his underwear joke costume, but I don't think Elma would have an underwear alt (Though, I wouldn't be opposed to it) So this would be a great fit.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
but I don't think Elma would have an underwear alt (Though, I wouldn't be opposed to it)
If Shulk gets a underwear outfit then we need a Elma one as well for sexual equality

I would't mind this one at all :love:

Last edited:

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
If Shulk gets a underwear outfit then we need a Elma needs one as well for sexual equality
Unfortunately I imagine the ESRB is a lot more critical towards women wearing underwear than they are men, and I'm sure it would cause a lot of controversy online. Smash has gotten away with some stuff before (Namely Zero Suit and Bayonetta), but Elma just straight up wearing underwear would probably be pushing it a bit to far.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Unfortunately I imagine the ESRB is a lot more critical towards women wearing underwear than they are men, and I'm sure it would cause a lot of controversy online. Smash has gotten away with some stuff before (Namely Zero Suit and Bayonetta), but Elma just straight up wearing underwear would probably be pushing it a bit to far.
Not a chance in life we would ever get anything similar just making little joke hehe.

Like Female Corrin has such a pointless censored in her art and model

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
If Shulk gets a underwear outfit then we need a Elma one as well for sexual equality

Yea, I wouldn't mind it if they put that armor in, lol

I think the standard no armour look would work fine
Actually, you're right. The standard no armor model would be fine. It's no more revealing than Zero Suit Samus' alts, so it could work.

I still don't really think they'd do it, but it's not entirely out of the question.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yea, I wouldn't mind it if they put that armor in, lol

Actually, you're right. The standard no armor model would be fine. It's no more revealing than Zero Suit Samus' alts, so it could work.

I still don't really think they'd do it, but it's not entirely out of the question.
the only problem with that outfit is the lack of heels, I mean they could add some but then she'd be wearing just heels and underwear lmao. Honestly I think spoiler outfit is gonna happen and that's probs it

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Add me to the supporter list. While I never had a chance to play Chronicles X, only witnessing my little brother play it, and was a bit divided on my overall opinions of the games music and story direction from what I'd seen, I nonetheless loved the first game and would like to play both sequels someday.

The gameplay in X looked amazingly fun, and Elma is easily the best designed character in the game, on top of being the main protagonist. I'd go so far as to say she's a shoe in. I literally expect her almost 100% and would be shocked if she wasn't in; the timing of her game is too perfect, her series is exploding and is now seemingly a Smash mainstay...yeah I expect her. And I'm excited to give her a go!

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
the only problem with that outfit is the lack of heels, I mean they could add some but then she'd be wearing just heels and underwear lmao. Honestly I think spoiler outfit is gonna happen and that's probs it
Previously, I would have said that it wouldn't happen, because Sakurai wouldn't integrate a spoiler into the character them self, but now we have Shulk's final smash...

So, Idk, I hope the spoiler costume isn't there, but I think it will be.

Add me to the supporter list. While I never had a chance to play Chronicles X, only witnessing my little brother play it, and was a bit divided on my overall opinions of the games music and story direction from what I'd seen, I nonetheless loved the first game and would like to play both sequels someday.

The gameplay in X looked amazingly fun, and Elma is easily the best designed character in the game, on top of being the main protagonist. I'd go so far as to say she's a shoe in. I literally expect her almost 100% and would be shocked if she wasn't in; the timing of her game is too perfect, her series is exploding and is now seemingly a Smash mainstay...yeah I expect her. And I'm excited to give her a go!
Welcome to the ever-growing collection of Elma supporters!
I hope you get to experience the majesty of Xenoblade Chronicles X soon!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Previously, I would have said that it wouldn't happen, because Sakurai wouldn't integrate a spoiler into the character them self, but now we have Shulk's final smash...

So, Idk, I hope the spoiler costume isn't there, but I think it will be.

Welcome to the ever-growing collection of Elma supporters!
I hope you get to experience the majesty of Xenoblade Chronicles X soon!
uh about that...
:sheikmelee:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
uh about that...
:sheikmelee:
Oh. I didn't think about that. It's hard to think of the whole Sheik is Zelda thing as a spoiler, but now that I think of it, that was a huge deal back in the day.

Not to mention :ultlucina: ...

...and the story of:ultlucas:being spoiled back in Brawl.
I don't know what the Lucas spoiler is, but yea, you're right.

Well, RIP: Spoilers ig.
Oh well, all things considered, the Elma thing isn't too big of a spoiler, I suppose. Definitely not as bad as the Fiora thing.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh. I didn't think about that. It's hard to think of the whole Sheik is Zelda thing as a spoiler, but now that I think of it, that was a huge deal back in the day.

I don't know what the Lucas spoiler is, but yea, you're right.

Well, RIP: Spoilers ig.
Oh well, all things considered, the Elma thing isn't too big of a spoiler, I suppose. Definitely not as bad as the Fiora thing.
The spoilers are in his Brawl trophy description and Snake's codec conversation for him. If you've never played Mother 3, I won't describe it any further that they are about some pretty major plot points.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
The spoilers are in his Brawl trophy description and Snake's codec conversation for him. If you've never played Mother 3, I won't describe it any further that they are about some pretty major plot points.
Well, dang.
Yea, if they can do that, then I don't X is safe either. Kind of a shame, since there are so many people who never even got the chance to play X or Mother 3.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The spoiler outfit would make for the best one-off palette a la Shulk's swimsuit/Mac's hoodie. But for her other palettes I hope they use the actual level-based colour variants of her outfit instead of making up something based on other team members. Maybe with a different headpiece on each for flavor.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
The spoiler outfit would make for the best one-off palette a la Shulk's swimsuit/Mac's hoodie. But for her other palettes I hope they use the actual level-based colour variants of her outfit instead of making up something based on other team members. Maybe with a different headpiece on each for flavor.
I like that idea. And, yea, the obvious thing would be to have the level color variants.
I'm not a huge fan of the alt colors based on the other party members tbh. Especially since in X, a lot of the characters wear fairly similarly colored armor, so the only one I could really see is a Lin alt.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think they might go with the recolored version of her standard armour instead of doing recolors based on the other characters, just like how they did with :ultcloud:.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
If Elma was in would you think she would have the same Insignia as Shulk?

Personally i would love it would could get a stylized X to represent all Xenoblade's games

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
If Elma was in would you think she would have the same Insignia as Shulk?

Personally i would love it would could get a stylized X to represent all Xenoblade's games
Ike, Roy and Corrin still have the falchion so yeah she'll probably have the monado symbol, I agree they should've gone for the X symbol but I guess it's a little late now lol

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Ike, Roy and Corrin still have the falchion so yeah she'll probably have the monado symbol, I agree they should've gone for the X symbol but I guess it's a little late now lol
To be fair, it's not impossible that they could change the symbol since that's what they did with Metal Gear's. The Monado still works for Elma as there are a few references to it in X.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
To be fair, it's not impossible that they could change the symbol since that's what they did with Metal Gear's. The Monado still works for Elma as there are a few references to it in X.
shulk's symbol is still the monado on the site though, they could've changed it for ultimate but they're not gonna do it mid-development

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
shulk's symbol is still the monado on the site though, they could've changed it for ultimate but they're not gonna do it mid-development
Just offering precedent, but no, it won't happen. We have seen placeholder elements like certain Smash 4 trailers using Brawl renders but this is set in stone and I don't really mind. The Monado is a favorite of mine since it's cropped exactly like the Xenoblade loading screen.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Just offering precedent, but no, it won't happen. We have seen placeholder elements like certain Smash 4 trailers using Brawl renders but this is set in stone and I don't really mind. The Monado is a favorite of mine since it's cropped exactly like the Xenoblade loading screen.
Alright this is a long shot and is probably the most stupid theory out there on this whole site so get your tin foil caps out. The icon for Shulk is still the same because they don't want to give any hints of Elma's inclusion. As soon as Elma is revealed Shulk icon will change to the X to represent the whole Xenoblade franchise.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Alright this is a long shot and is probably the most stupid theory out there on this whole site so get your tin foil caps out. The icon for Shulk is still the same because they don't want to give any hints of Elma's inclusion. As soon as Elma is revealed Shulk icon will change to the X to represent the whole Xenoblade franchise.
As I've said, it's not like the Monado wouldn't work for Elma. Besides, if they wanted to change it to the "X" but were worried that it would give away Elma, it's easy enough for them to just not change it and no one would be upset.

I don't think it's an outlandish theory (in fact, I don't think it's the first instance of content changing to reflect newcomers but I can't think of any examples). It's probably not practical, though.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Or Sakurai might also consider giving Elma her own symbol, if he views regular Xenoblade and X as different series.
I mean he classified Yoshi as a different series when the first game was literally subtitled Super Mario World 2.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Or Sakurai might also consider giving Elma her own symbol, if he views regular Xenoblade and X as different series.
I mean he classified Yoshi as a different series when the first game was literally subtitled Super Mario World 2.
Doubtful, the series in smash is listed as Xenoblade, it seems kinda redundant to have Xenoblade and then Xenoblade Chronicles X. Plus Yoshi had Yoshi's Story out at the time as well.

And they're still the same series after all, the same gameplay but in an entirely different universe like fire emblem, yet ike, roy etc have the falchion as their symbol. And they do share aspects with telethia and nopon and all that.

Last edited:

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
I was watching the RTC for Elma and one of the points NantenJex brings up is that there can only be one Xenoblade newcomer for this game which Honestly annoys me so much he has no clear evidence for this point at all. All he seems to be doing is pitting the Elma fans and Rex fans against each other for no reason

Also, I don't understand how he thinks Elma moveset would be very limited. It seems to me he has never even play X before making that video.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I was watching the RTC for Elma and one of the points NantenJex brings up is that there can only be one Xenoblade newcomer for this game which Honestly annoys me so much he has no clear evidence for this point at all. All he seems to be doing is pitting the Elma fans and Rex fans against each other for no reason

Also, I don't understand how he thinks Elma moveset would be very limited. It seems to me he has never even play X before making that video.
I soured on Source Gaming a lot recently, between the underrating of Bandana Dee by putting so much emphasis on the 'goomba in a hat' argument, to that part of the Elma one, to making the Sakurai Didn't Say That about Zelda AKCHUWALLY being the design from ALttP because look at all these similarities it's not at all ALBW ignore those similarities. It's really pushed that they're not afraid of using their own interpretations and opinions a bit more factually than they should.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard

It stems from a belief that Xenoblade is too niche to warrant more than two characters at most, which is ridiculous, since that's the exact same argument people hurled at Fire Emblem right up until Kimishima named it one of Nintendo's core franchises. Xenoblade has only gotten bigger and more successful with each new release, there's no reason to believe it can't reach that level too.

And yes, the last thing I want to see is lines being drawn in the sand. X and the mainline series are two different things with two different styles, and people are naturally going to have a preference for one over the other, (even if they still enjoy both, like I do) that doesn't mean we should be pitted against each other.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
A one sided image from a user so fanatical that their thread on this site got locked. In fact that's literally the image Source Gaming cite for the claim.

This is a far more balanced explanation of the scenario:

Notice how the image you linked conveniently ignores the hair, the pink fabric pattern, mis-attributes the belt buckle to the wrong game and ignores the design on the circle things holding the dangling golden rods. All of which come straight from ALBW (the belt has an extra ring).

Smash Zelda is a combination of both designs.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
A one sided image from a user so fanatical that their thread on this site got locked. In fact that's literally the image Source Gaming cite for the claim.

This is a far more balanced explanation of the scenario:

Notice how the image you linked conveniently ignores the hair, the pink fabric pattern, mis-attributes the belt buckle to the wrong game and ignores the design on the circle things holding the dangling golden rods. All of which come straight from ALBW (the belt has an extra ring).

Smash Zelda is a combination of both designs.
Well, I stand corrected.

Top Bottom