• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Selenite

Smash Cadet

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
What should be happening on that day is September 12 is when Tokyo Game Show 2019 starts, Nintendo is involved as a sponsor for Indie Game Area "Selection Booth" and "SENSE OF WONDER NIGHT 2019".
In that case, has there been anything Smash-related announced at TGS before? Because the more I think about it, the more I feel the leak is fake, namely the mecha part. Shouldn't they have kept it as vague as possible so that it could be at least somewhat credible (i.e. that the character is female)?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In that case, has there been anything Smash-related announced at TGS before? Because the more I think about it, the more I feel the leak is fake, namely the mecha part. Shouldn't they have kept it as vague as possible so that it could be at least somewhat credible (i.e. that the character is female)?
It could just be a standalone direct not related to TGS that is filmed in advance and so happens to air the first day

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Thought I'd come back after so long after the 4chan "non-requested female character with a mecha" rumor. How y'all doing?
Instantly thought of Elma since the beginning, but I don't buy the rumor. It's fun to entertain the idea tho
and the DxM idea makes sense, I'm a bit out of the loop regarding news about it (still hella excited for it tho), but wouldn't it be a character with male and female alts? Would be weird to pinpoint it exactly as a female character

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Thought I'd come back after so long after the 4chan "non-requested female character with a mecha" rumor. How y'all doing?
Instantly thought of Elma since the beginning, but I don't buy the rumor. It's fun to entertain the idea tho
and the DxM idea makes sense, I'm a bit out of the loop regarding news about it (still hella excited for it tho), but wouldn't it be a character with male and female alts? Would be weird to pinpoint it exactly as a female character
Maybe the female alt would be the default one? Which one have they been promoting?

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Boy we're really doubling down on the "random 4chan posts are leaks" train, are we?
I'd say it's more fun than just letting the thread stay dormant. Gotta attract new supporters by having a lively thread!

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Well...
Considering the rumor is a female character with low demand who controls a "mech".... Junko Enoshima does fit!
Personally I think that it would be best if
she was just a giant cell phone instead of an actual person. I mean, inanimate objects deserve representation in Smash too, right?

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't trust the rumor about the female rep that nobody expects (and even if it was true, there's quite a demand for Elma), but if we combined it with the old rumor that mentioned a fighting game character, then the only logical conclusion is Tron Bonne lol.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't trust the rumor about the female rep that nobody expects (and even if it was true, there's quite a demand for Elma), but if we combined it with the old rumor that mentioned a fighting game character, then the only logical conclusion is Tron Bonne lol.
I don't trust either of these rumors but I can't lie, I'd lose my mind if it was Tron. Mega Man Legends was one of my big obsessions as a kid - one of my first consistent usernames online was a Servbot reference - and I always played as her in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Plus there's a lot of potential with music and stages...

But yeah I feel like random anons are just trying to stir up different fanbases with unrelated posts.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't want to believe just so I'm not disappointed but honestly "The hoes mad in December" is so funny it might just become a regular reaction image for me.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
UPDATE OH MY GOD

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/475685790

SHE HAS A MECHA

and she's also not very "well known" which obviously knocks out any Overwatch character as they're quite well known i'd say

Mecha-Fiora has Face Nemesis, but she doesn't use it in playable combat.... KOS-MOS can pilot AGWS/whatever they're called after Xenosaga 2 I forgot...

but most importantly

MOTHER. FRICKING. VERUS.

ELMA GANG LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
If true...

Guh-huh intensifies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Here’s hoping the left folder gets used.
Yeah, same. Though I really do need to fill it up some more before that. Even if I'll probably mostly fill it with memes mocking Rex.

Anyway, there's something I was wondering. Does anyone know why this leak in particular has gained so much traction all of a sudden? I've seen it shared around quite a bit, which I find to be rather odd. Aren't there a countless number of these random text-based 4chan leaks? Why is this one any different?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
No, it has literally nothing going for it. People started making jokes about disappointing female characters, then idiots started thinking they were anything more than jokes. The Overwatch cover thing being around the same time didn't help because [anything gets revealed] = [Smash reveal] nowadays. I thought it was funny when it was first posted but it had no reason to spread. [Edit: I guess people making jokes about it on Twitter is part of why it spread. I've seen everyone from Link's Grandma in Wind Waker to obscure one-off third party characters posted alongside the screencap]

Original thread, incidentally.
https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/475455092

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Link's grandma would be dope as hell, tho.

Just imagine all the crazy shenanigans she could pull with her soup.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It would seem Vergeben said the 4chan leak was fake - the mecha rumor, at least. Not the female part iirc

Could someone know who the next character is for sure...?

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It would seem Vergeben said the 4chan leak was fake - the mecha rumor, at least. Not the female part iirc

It really doesn't seem to be that way. There doesn't really seem to be any prevalent thought of who could be next, unlike how it was with Hero for the first half of this year.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another thought - recently Sakurai said something about “running out of budget” in an interview, though I think that was more referring to in depth video showcases of a character pre release. I imagine Hero was HELLA expensive all around and took a bite out of said budget

I don’t think that’ll affect DLC itself though

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Not saying that I believe the "female character with a mecha" leak but hasn't Vergeben given misinformation in the past?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not saying that I believe the "female character with a mecha" leak but hasn't Vergeben given misinformation in the past?
for other games cough Star Fox Grand Prix cough yeah. The Minecraft content claims for Smash are still up in the air though, for all we know we might get that Ender Dragon boss if Banjo comes with a Boss Mode

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
for other games cough Star Fox Grand Prix cough yeah. The Minecraft content claims for Smash are still up in the air though, for all we know we might get that Ender Dragon boss if Banjo comes with a Boss Mode
Didn't he also claim that the first DLC character was going to be a Square rep?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
yeah I HIGHLY advise y'all to not click the discord link this guy's pushing. he's like a bot that's been at this for several days now and it's probably a virus or phishing attempt...

Didn't he also claim that the first DLC character was going to be a Square rep?
i mean, now that i think about it it's entirely possible Hero was the first character who was being worked on, but they still had to iron out his kinks and decided Joker be the first one instead. Hero's trailer doesn't have PP or Joker in the gameplay footage for what it's worth

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
i mean, now that i think about it it's entirely possible Hero was the first character who was being worked on, but they still had to iron out his kinks and decided Joker be the first one instead. Hero's trailer doesn't have PP or Joker in the gameplay footage for what it's worth
Doesn't seem likely. Joker's files were found in the game before they added Hero's, after all.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Um, guys? Remember that leak that's basically a meme at this point? Yeah... if it's real, it's not talking about Elma...

https://twitter.com/donutpastry/status/1166756924534198274 (crude language)
Even under the assumption that the original leak had some legitimacy, I doubt that this addition has any truth to it. That basically contradicts everything that was said in the original post, and you'd have to mess up very badly to things that wrong initially. That's most likely another poster trying to pass themselves for the OP.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Even under the assumption that the original leak had some legitimacy, I doubt that this addition has any truth to it. That basically contradicts everything that was said in the original post, and you'd have to mess up very badly to things that wrong initially. That's most likely another poster trying to pass themselves for the OP.
Yeah, that's fair. Still, Putt-Putt in Smash would be pretty funny, if you ask me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Um, guys? Remember that leak that's basically a meme at this point? Yeah... if it's real, it's not talking about Elma...

https://twitter.com/donutpastry/status/1166756924534198274 (crude language)

Edit: Sorry about the language. I was trying to upload the original image, but I got the tweet instead.
Another troll tried to claim to be OP and insisted it was Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo instead, saying the mecha part was false

At this point I’m not sure what to believe

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Another troll tried to claim to be OP and insisted it was Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo instead, saying the mecha part was false

At this point I’m not sure what to believe
I think at this point, the only thing we can really believe in is that we're gonna have to wait until the 12th of September to know for certain. Maybe one or two days earlier to get the announcement for an announcement.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sabi is saying a direct is "Soon" and Emily Rogers is specifically saying next week.

even without the "Female Mecha" rumor, if FP4 is revealed then, which I doubt, I hope it's Elma...

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sabi is saying a direct is "Soon" and Emily Rogers is specifically saying next week.

even without the "Female Mecha" rumor, if FP4 is revealed then, which I doubt, I hope it's Elma...
That depends: how soon is TOO soon? I know September Directs are a tradition at this point, but isn't it usually the second week when it happens? Just want to make sure.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That depends: how soon is TOO soon? I know September Directs are a tradition at this point, but isn't it usually the second week when it happens? Just want to make sure.
Last year's Nintendo Direct - the one that revealed Isabelle - was originally slated for the first week of September, but pushed back to the second week of the month due to the earthquake in Japan. The year before that, in 2017, there was a Direct in the second full week of September. So it could be either, honestly.

Hmm, wasn't Emily Rogers a bit spotty when it came to the accuracy of her information?

Top Bottom