• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am starting to feel very pessimistic about any Xenoblade newcomer getting in now. As stupid as it seems, I am starting to feel that 6 months early/late scenario might be applied to the Xenoblade franchise during the project plan. Neither Xenoblade X nor Xenoblade 2 came around that period, and I feel we might not get any Xenoblade newcomer because of it. I feel only Pokemon will get the special treatment. I want a new Xenoblade newcomer badly, but I do not see Elma nor Rex happening anymore because of timing. :(

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Add me to that supporters list.

Xenoblade Chronicles X was criminally underrated. At the very least, I want a Primordia stage where I can fight to this song:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I am starting to feel very pessimistic about any Xenoblade newcomer getting in now. As stupid as it seems, I am starting to feel that 6 months early/late scenario might be applied to the Xenoblade franchise during the project plan. Neither Xenoblade X nor Xenoblade 2 came around that period, and I feel we might not get any Xenoblade newcomer because of it. I feel only Pokemon will get the special treatment. I want a new Xenoblade newcomer badly, but I do not see Elma nor Rex happening anymore because of timing. :(
I get where you're coming from, the lack of new stuff in general seems to hurt her chances. But I think recent happenings have shown that Monolith Soft sees Elma as the 'face' of X, and we know they want to do more with the game (port, sequel etc). I don't think it's worth throwing in the towel just yet.

We know Elma has a Rare Blade appearance in development for XB2 (her debug name is literally her Japanese name エルマ, they tried hiding her by making her regular name "Riki" lmao). I think we wait until that's revealed before we throw in the towel. If Elma is in Smash, they'd probably want to crosspromote her appearance with something else. Unless there's an X port, the best chance for that will be her XB2 cameo. Heck, they revealed Shulk's Rare Blade appearance at Treehouse Live a day or so after Smash got revealed and confirmed he would return. That's a pretty good omen. If she appears in XB2 and there's nothing else then we can call it quits.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Honestly I don't think that if she isn't announced alongside other cross promotions then she is deconfirmed.
:ultridley: was announced without any Metroid Prime 4 trailer.

Xenoblade X was the biggest title of 2015 from Nintendo, and outsold the original one on the small install base Wii U had. She is still one of the runner ups for a roster chosen back in 2016. That comment Sakurai made was for a roster who had a lot of possibilities for characters, since it could dip into the whole Wii library (also he made that statement about Robin, but not about Chrom, because there are evidences that at some point both where planned to be playable, so he might have said that because otherwise he would have added just Chrom), but in 2016 if we exclude both Xeno X and 2 there really aren't many good choices for playable characters, as we already said a couple pages back. Especially since she probably was already considered for Corrin's spot as the promotional DLC fighter.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I can get the pessimism regarding the lack of new fighters for this entry, however Elma still feels like a solid candidate to be one of the new fighters. If there's let's say (discounting echo fighters and potential DLC) 5 or 6 new fighters, I can see Elma being one of them.

Fact of the matter is Elma's game came after Smash 4, and before the initial project plan meaning while glossing over potential fighters, Elma more than likely was at least looked at, as far as recent characters go.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Some potentially big news for Elma:

The project plan being completed on December 2015 makes me wonder if Elma was in earlier roster drafts. When was the first draft completed then? Would Elma be removed in the final roster draft with her Japanese release (April 2015) coming out too late by then? I have so many questions right now.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

The project plan being completed on December 2015 makes me wonder if Elma was in earlier roster drafts. When was the first draft completed then? Would Elma be removed in the final roster draft with her Japanese release (April 2015) coming out too late by then? I have so many questions right now.
I higly doubt they would have remved her from the first project draft because of X's Japanese release. Corrin was still considered a "promotion character" when his/her game was released in June 2015. And considering that she was a likely candidate for that DLC spot she was on Sakurai's radar when he made Ultimate's roster, which is the greatest news we could hope.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

This is interesting, the project plan was finished around the time of XCX release in the West. Earlier than expected.

Nintendo was pushing the game pretty hard going into it's release in the West, so it could go either way for Sakurai to consider her as a playable character. But the game was out for a while in Japan before then so it's still a possibility that she'll be apart of the final draft.

Keep in mind Splatoon came out even later than XCX in May, 2015; and the Inklings as well as Splatoon has plenty of content.

I think this is good news for Elma's chances, tbh.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Just so we are clear, I am keeping in mind the 6 month early and late window for the project plan. Elma would be applied to the early 6 month window.

Also, do you mind True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior if we move the conversation of Elma here:

I am not sure where you are getting at. What Sakurai said about international releases had nothing to do with his inclusion. I believe he mentioned upcoming game just to communicate with the international audience for the December direct.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Just so we are clear, I am keeping in mind the 6 month early and late window for the project plan. Elma would be applied to the early 6 month window.

Also, do you mind True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior if we move the conversation of Elma here:

I am not sure where you are getting at. What Sakurai said about international releases had nothing to do with his inclusion. I believe he mentioned upcoming game just to communicate with the international audience for the direct.
There is also this which shows Sakurai taking international release dates into account.

After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot. It’s already been released in Japan, but is yet to be released overseas, making it a prime candidate in terms of timing.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Under that tweet NantanJex stated that Rex and Pyra's designs were finalized in December 2016, a whole year after the project plan.

It seems extremely likely that if we are going to get a Xenoblade newcomer I the base roster, it is going to be Elma.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Yep, Elma's chances are looking pretty good now, and I hope she gets in. Now that we finally have Ridley playable, she's my 2nd most wanted newcomer.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I just saw SG's tweets and rushed over here to see if anyone reported on them. Looks like I got beaten to the punch.

So yeah, I don't really have anything unique to add. I just want to say that I'm feeling a renewed surge of hope, like I just activated Overdrive. The fight isn't over yet.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah Rex and Pyra have absolutely no chance of making the base roster now, so welcome aboard Elma hopefully and then we can have Rex as DLC.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah, I had a hunch that Elma edged Rex and Pyra in terms of likelihood, this pretty much seals it.

Not too into XC, but after a bit of research, I can see Elma being an interesting character in Smash, and I quite like her design.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Hey guys consider me a new supporter for Elma and hey to everyone here. I honestly needed to make an account after seeing the Famitsu translation I feel so confident now that Elma is gonna be a newcomer I'm so excited but of course, this doesn't confirm her but damn I'm gonna be hyped

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
I really enjoyed Xenoblade 2 and I wanted Rex & Pyra for Ultimate, but I just started XCX and I wouldn't mind Elma at all.
I preffer Rex & Pyra tho, but maybe if Elma gets in, we might get a XCX port for the Switch!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I am now confident to say that Elma will be in Smash 5. There’s a lot that points to her now.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I really enjoyed Xenoblade 2 and I wanted Rex & Pyra for Ultimate, but I just started XCX and I wouldn't mind Elma at all.
I preffer Rex & Pyra tho, but maybe if Elma gets in, we might get a XCX port for the Switch!
I've been saying a Switch port of XCX is gonna happen for awhile now. But it would make no sense for them to do so before all the XC2 DLC has released.

XCX never needed the Wii U gamepad. Just throw it onto the Switch around the end of 2019/mid-2020 and bam. Easy money, both from people who want more Xenoblade after XC2, and for those who missed out on the Wii U completely.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Checked the release schedules out and Xenoblade Chronicles X is the only Nintendo game of that period that Smash hasn't referenced (Mario Tennis: Single Stage got a music track)

Could it mean something?

Last edited:

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
I am now confident to say that Elma will be in Smash 5. There’s a lot that points to her now.
Bias aside I honestly think the timing is in Elma favour it seems too good to be true. But now we play the waiting game for her.

Sorry if this has been asked before but what do you guys think Elma reveal trailer will be like?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bias aside I honestly think the timing is in Elma favour it seems too good to be true. But now we play the waiting game for her.

Sorry if this has been asked before but what do you guys think Elma reveal trailer will be like?
Not sure but it better go something like, Mega Man vs ROB and then BAM! Skell suit landing!

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It'll end with a shot of her final smash, because Skells are really all anybody knows about XCX.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I still want it to include her fighting samus tbh, I always had this idea that she would mistake her for a ganglion robot lol. Or they could do rob I guess but the shipping potential is too good lmao

Another question, do you think enough time has passed that we can have Elma's other form be an alternate costume? or is it too spoilery too soon?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The only concern I have with this acting as such an Elma confirmation is her popularity at the time of the draft’s release. With Sakurai seemingly pushing fan support so much right now, she might not have had a big enough following in time. Especially if comparison to other characters from the ballot. And this whole Smash seemingly taking a different approach to things as well.

That said, I just want another Xenoblade rep.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The only concern I have with this acting as such an Elma confirmation is her popularity at the time of the draft’s release. With Sakurai seemingly pushing fan support so much right now, she might not have had a big enough following in time. Especially if comparison to other characters from the ballot. And this whole Smash seemingly taking a different approach to things as well.

That said, I just want another Xenoblade rep.
Well her game wasn't even out in the west until the ballot was over, It's not really a great judge of her popularity so I think he'd take that into account. I'd assume he'd at least consider her with X still being one of the biggest releases on the wii u, especially at the time, and it's hard to not take notice of all the moveset potential she offers, no one really talks about that but we know sakurai values uniqueness just as much as popularity or relevance honestly.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/

On June 13th, I released a great deal of information concerning Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. “A 2018 release, can you really manage that?” I’ve been grappling with that question for a while, but I’ve earnestly – and silently – been working to make that happen. In the December of 2015 I put forth my first proposal for the game. I was still working on the DLC for the previous Super Smash Bros. game at the time, and I wouldn’tt even get together the staff for Ultimate until later.

Are we back to square one now? This was not the final proposal, but the first.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/

On June 13th, I released a great deal of information concerning Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. “A 2018 release, can you really manage that?” I’ve been grappling with that question for a while, but I’ve earnestly – and silently – been working to make that happen. In the December of 2015 I put forth my first proposal for the game. I was still working on the DLC for the previous Super Smash Bros. game at the time, and I wouldn’tt even get together the staff for Ultimate until later.

Just depends on the time difference between the first proposal and the final project plan I guess, at the very least the roster was probably finalized in early 2016 still, I can't imagine the difference was too huge

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

Not really because like with previous Smash games, the roster is decided at the beginning of development. I imagine it took Sakurai a few months to finalize the roster, which would be somewhere between February and March 2016.

Last edited:

Cart Boy

Smash Rookie
Hello, everyone. I haven't beaten Xenoblade Chronicles X yet so I probably won't pop in here often to avoid spoilers, but I think Elma's cool and I'm hoping she gets her chance to Smash.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am not sure if I will agree with the pessimistic or optimistic side of me by tomorrow morning. But I do want to fully address why I initially felt skeptical of Elma yesterday for proper context.

Bringing my point about 6 month early period and connecting that to December's first proposal and Xenoblade X's release, the window of opportunity for Elma to be considered would have been 2 months too late, too late that she might have not been considered at all. And even though True Blue Warrior stated that the international release was part of Corrin's inclusion, I feel Elma's international release would not count because Ultimate would be a different ballgame entirely. He would not account XCX's international release because by the first proposal, Elma's game would have already come out and the Ultimate release window would have been 2017 or 2018, it would not make her an effective promotional candidate at all like Corrin, and the game would have been outdated by Ultimate's release. The timing of Fates internationally and the last Smash 4 DLC fighter release made Corrin a prime candidate at the time. This would not benefit Elma in the case of Ultimate. Either Sakurai planned and kept Elma in mind to be in the first project proposal sometime in October before the 29th or its a bust. The length of time Sakurai had to make the first proposal will make-it or break-it for her chances. If he had several months to plan before December, maybe she will make it, but it could also go the other way around.

That is just what I currently feel right now. I just wanna fully express my perspective so we can keep in check of our expectations. Maybe there is a flaw to my argument against Elma. Feel free to argue against it, I need a discussion right now. lol

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Not really because like with previous Smash games, the roster is decided at the beginning of development. I imagine it took Sakurai a few months to finalize the roster, which would be somewhere between February and March 2016.
True. In addition to that, Sakurai has made it pretty clear his #1 goal with Ultimate was making sure every previous character came back. We know there will be fewer newcomers, which could potentially mean he took even less time finalizing the roster.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
, Elma's game would have already come out and the Ultimate release window would have been 2017 or 2018, it would not make her an effective promotional candidate at all like Corrin, and the game would have been outdated by Ultimate's release.
By the time Brawl was released, stuff like Path of Radiance Ike and Lucas (since Mother was confirmed to end back in 2006) felt unintentionally "outdated". Palutena was similarly "outdated" by the time Smash 4 released as Sakurai confirmed it had no future. Remember, it's what's recent around the time development begins that is important, not what's recent two years later.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I definitely could see Elma being added to the roster, and honestly, I would much rather have her than any ugly Xenoblade 2 character.

Elma is great. Consider me a supporter.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
I definitely could see Elma being added to the roster, and honestly, I would much rather have her than any ugly Xenoblade 2 character.

Elma is great. Consider me a supporter.
Welcome :) I wouldn't mind having Rex in the roster but I think he would be perfect for DLC as well as Spring man because if the proposal plan was finished late 2015 or early 2016 I don't believe Rex's and Pyra's design were finshed at that time.

Top Bottom