• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I think I've cracked the code; the new remix of Gangplank Galleon is composed by Tomori Kudo, the composer for Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2, and contains a nonsensicle rap verse. As we all know, Xenoblade + rap (+ incomprehensible lyrics) = Xenoblade Chronicles X! Yes, everything is starting to come together.

*stares forbodingly at a wall covered in disparate newspaper clippings and pictures of Elma and Sakurai, haphazardly strung together with red yarn*

You can't hide the truth forever, Sakurai.

Last edited:

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Couldn't an X port be handled by another studio, assuming Monolith was too busy? We know Nintendo isn't scared to let Grezzo(OoT 3D, MM 3D, Triforce Heroes, Luigi's Mansion) and Tantalus(TPHD and various Wii U ports) handle ports/remakes.

All Tantalus has done the last 2 years is The Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess HD(Wii U port, 2016), Sonic Mania(Nintendo Switch port, 2017), Rime(Nintendo Switch port, 2017), and Cities: Skylines(PS4/Xbox One ports, 2017). I think they would be a good choice for the port if they're going to outsource it.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Couldn't an X port be handled by another studio, assuming Monolith was too busy? We know Nintendo isn't scared to let Grezzo(OoT 3D, MM 3D, Triforce Heroes, Luigi's Mansion) and Tantalus(TPHD and various Wii U ports) handle ports/remakes.

All Tantalus has done the last 2 years is The Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess HD(Wii U port, 2016), Sonic Mania(Nintendo Switch port, 2017), Rime(Nintendo Switch port, 2017), and Cities: Skylines(PS4/Xbox One ports, 2017). I think they would be a good choice for the port if they're going to outsource it.
Yeah. Who did the Xenoblade Chronicles port for the New 3DS?

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Damn guys, I admit I'm getting a bit...anxious I guess, on whether or not Elma will make it on the roster. I'm anxious because, objectively...her chances are really good. She's a character with perfect timing, Sakurai appeal, zero game-specific content revealed yet (that we’re sure to get in some form), a few seperate plausible hints (rifle, Trinen, Sawano, XC2 DLC), and no “I haven’t heard anything” from her VA yet.
There's also the year that the Project plan took place, of which X was extremely relevant during that time, and how Rex and Pyra were actually conceived too far into Chronicles 2's development period to be considered for the base roster.
Based on all these factors, it really feels like Elma should be a shoo-in...But in the end, it's all only going to depend on whether Sakurai felt Xenoblade deserved a 2nd newcomer at the time he was forming the roster.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Damn guys, I admit I'm getting a bit...anxious I guess, on whether or not Elma will make it on the roster. I'm anxious because, objectively...her chances are really good. She's a character with perfect timing, Sakurai appeal, zero game-specific content revealed yet (that we’re sure to get in some form), a few seperate plausible hints (rifle, Trinen, Sawano, XC2 DLC), and no “I haven’t heard anything” from her VA yet.
There's also the year that the Project plan took place, of which X was extremely relevant during that time, and how Rex and Pyra were actually conceived too far into Chronicles 2's development period to be considered for the base roster.
Based on all these factors, it really feels like Elma should be a shoo-in...But in the end, it's all only going to depend on whether Sakurai felt Xenoblade deserved a 2nd newcomer at the time he was forming the roster.
I personally think he would have. By the time he made the roster he already knew that X sold more than the original game, and when contacting Monolith for having Shulk back he would have know that another Xenoblade game was in early stages of development. Even tho he couldn't use anything from XC2 due to it being in early development it surely meant that the Xenoblade series would have remained relevant for a while, and that it was turning into Nintendo's main JRPG series.

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
I personally think he would have. By the time he made the roster he already knew that X sold more than the original game, and when contacting Monolith for having Shulk back he would have know that another Xenoblade game was in early stages of development. Even tho he couldn't use anything from XC2 due to it being in early development it surely meant that the Xenoblade series would have remained relevant for a while, and that it was turning into Nintendo's main JRPG series.
Did X really sold more than XC?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's crazy to think that the best time to reveal Elma if she's in is coming up in a lot of ways. Her XB2 cameo will surely come out before Gamescom and Torna - The Golden Country's release, so her Smash reveal might be just next month.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
It's crazy to think that the best time to reveal Elma if she's in is coming up in a lot of ways. Her XB2 cameo will surely come out before Gamescom and Torna - The Golden Country's release, so her Smash reveal might be just next month.
Isn't Gamescom happening in a few days?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I added nearly 40 people to the support list (including those who "Liked" the OP). I also included the previous thread's support list. Elma now has 117 supporters! :)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I added nearly 40 people to the support list (including those who "Liked" the OP). I also included the previous thread's support list. Elma now has 117 supporters! :)
6B5C88FC-1C66-4EA8-A492-D24D353BB703.gif

That much already!?

Elma supports seems to be going stronger than ever.

However, after the direct people on the Smash speculation thread impressions of Elma went from very likley to unlikely.

I still haven’t lost hope in Elma, there’s a lot pointing to her, there’s even a possibility that she was supposed to be a DLC character competeing with Corrin and that Sakurai might’ve decided to pick her up again for Ultimate. Who knows, we’ll have to wait and see, but I think we will lose out.

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
However, after the direct people on the Smash speculation thread impressions of Elma went from very likley to unlikely.
Huh, what's their reasoning? Like I said in my earlier posts, when you really analyze Elma's chances, they're actually pretty good. Only reason Sakurai would choose to omit her now is if he didn't feel like adding another Xenoblade newcomer at the time.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Huh, what's their reasoning? Like I said in my earlier posts, when you really analyze Elma's chances, they're actually pretty good. Only reason Sakurai would choose to omit her now is if he didn't feel like adding another Xenoblade newcomer at the time.
I asked and looked.

Most people think Sakurai wouldn’t add her because she didn’t do high on the ballot nor is very popular, and that every character bar Gen 7 Pokémon will be a ballot/fan favorite newcomer in a small roster.

That’s the general consensus and I disagree with this. Most newcomers are usually added for having enough unique traits to be added as unique newcomers, and that he found stuff about Ridley, King K. Rool, and Simon to be unique and interesting enough to be added when it comes to fan favorites and that goes for any other character from the ballot. Elma wins easily with uniqueness not only in her moveset, but also content from XCX, which is why I think Sakurai is very inclined to include her. She along with whatever S/M Pokémon and maybe even a RH Rep are probably going to be the only 2-3 non ballot newcomers for this game.

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I asked and looked.

Most people think Sakurai wouldn’t add her because she didn’t do high on the ballot nor is very popular, and that every character bar Gen 7 Pokémon will be a ballot/fan favorite newcomer in a small roster.

That’s the general consensus and I disagree with this. Most newcomers are usually added for having enough unique traits to be added as unique newcomers, and that he found stuff about Ridley, King K. Rool, and Simon to be unique and interesting enough to be added when it comes to fan favorites and that goes for any other character from the ballot. Elma wins easily with uniqueness not only in her moveset, but also content from XCX, which is why I think Sakurai is very inclined to include her. She along with whatever S/M Pokémon and maybe even a RH Rep are probably going to be the only 2-3 non ballot newcomers for this game.
That is true, but I can see where they're coming from. Based on what we know now, from the current newcomers, to bringing every character that's been in a Smash game back, to the huge info dump we got earlier this month, it looks like Sakurai is developing this Smash with the goal of answering as much fan demand as possible. It's easy to believe the entire newcomer picks will be long requested fan favorites/highly voted ballot candidates and any remaining iconic "all-star" characters that are left.

Despite this, I think you're right in that if there's any newcomer that Sakurai picked outside of fan influence, Elma will be one of them.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
People are assuming that every single newcomer is going to be a fan favourite. And not even Ballot contender,s that's why very few talk about Bandana Dee, who was extremely popular and requested in those days, but they are bringing back character that were requested during Brawl like Skull Kid, even tho their support was weak during the Ballot they are practically confirmed due to the dumb forniture theory. People think that because they have added Ridley and KKR then every newcomer is going to be a character requested for ages, while they completely ignore the other fan favourites chatacters that are a lot more recent like Inklings and Chrom. Also they forget that Richter wasn't a popular pick, but being TP means that he had to be planned since the beginning due to licensing. He wasn't a last minute addition.

But they are wrong. There is no way that Sakurai is just going to do Ballot picks (especially because, from all the fan polls, there really aren't any clear top picks left besides Bandana Dee and possibly Isaac). I belive that is not how Sakurai picked the whole roster for a series of reasons:

1)Whenever a character was added due to requests, he outright stated it, like how he did for Snake, Ridley, Chrom, Dark Samus and so on. If every single character was like this he wouldn't have the need to state that every time.

2)The idea that "he already announced KKR and Ridley, he must have something big to top that!" is wrong. In Brawl he topped Sonic with Olimar, in Smash For he topped Mega Man, Pac-Man, Little Mac and Palutena with Robin and Shulk, and even with DLC he topped freaking CLOUD with Corrin and Bayonetta. He doesn't keep the most hype inducing characters for the end.

3)We have seen Nikki and the Badge Arcade Bunny as AT. That means that Sakurai isn't only looking to the Ballot for choosing what content to add in Smash, and that new games aren't completely ignored. X is extremely unlikely to be completely ignored, considering it was one of Nintendo's biggest titles on the Wii U alongside Breath of the Wild, which was derivative from the world building of X. Considering that they haven't shown anything from it, not even an AT, that probably means they are keeping it for something big...like a character reveal.

4)Sukapon and Ditto prove that Sakurai is also giving a second shot to old and scrapped ideas from the past. That's why I'm convinced that we are going to see the Chorus Kids being added (especially after Chrom was also brought back), and since it is extremely likely that Sakurai had considered Elma in Corrin's place for DLC he would have already some ideas to work with.

That is my personal stance on the matter. I'm sure that the next reveal will prove that Sakurai isn't just following the Ballot results, whenever it comes.

Last edited:

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
I just want to add something that crossed my mind today: the addition of fiora into shulk final smash.
Not only she is one of the plot of the game and it seems Sakurai doesn't care about spoiler but her weapons is a dual blade like elma.
So I would guess she was considered as a xenoblade rep at some time during the development for something more recent.
The fact that he added her into final smash gives me the message that xenoblade is relatively old enough and we need to move one.... for a character from the new entry of the franchise. Because shulk is in "Xenoblade Series" if we look at the official website and Xenoblade X it still in the xenblade series like Final Fantasy or even the mario games (mario sunshine completely different path than galaxy but still from the mario franchise) and if elma comes in she will be in same category as shulk with the monado logo , and as Nonno Umby said we have still seen nothing about xenoblade content yet aside shulk final smash.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Approximately a week from today is the hypothetical announcement of Elma's cameo in XC2. Let's do a daily countdown thing! :D

Question of the Day: What is your favorite Battle Art?

Mine is Sliding Slinger. The animation is fantastic and I love how it feels going under an enemy and turning around to shoot the enemy from the other side. It's arguably Elma's most iconic Battle Art, IMO.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Approximately a week from today is the hypothetical announcement of Elma's cameo in XC2. Let's do a daily countdown thing! :D

Question of the Day: What is your favorite Battle Art?

Mine is Sliding Slinger. The animation is fantastic and I love how it feels going under an enemy and turning around to shoot the enemy from the other side. It's arguably Elma's most iconic Battle Art, IMO.

Oh man, Sliding Slinger would have been my pick! I love how combines mobility with an actuak attack. I sure hope they use that for Elma's moveset in Smash!

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Hey there, just wanted to poke my head in and show some support! With the return of the King, I think Elma is definitely my most wanted first-party newcomer now, and I'm happy to anticipate her arrival alongside you all. I'm liking the look of all the evidence for her inclusion that you all have dug up, especially the model rifle comments and the timing of X in relation to Ultimate's project plan; not gonna get my hopes too high, but I think she has an excellent shot!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if there’s a surprise Smash trailer stream during Gamescom, a la the Robin and Lucina trailer, and BAM we get Elma? Shulk himself was also announced outside of an (English at least) Direct, said direct being JP only and him popping up on the site the next morning.

jimbozo

Smash Cadet
My favorite Talent art is definitely Blossom Dance. I just think it's so cool that Nagi can use Dunban's signature art. Besides, it looks amazing in action!

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Does anyone have any interesting ideas for the "Question of the Day" during the leadup to Elma's eventual reveal?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hey there, just wanted to poke my head in and show some support! With the return of the King, I think Elma is definitely my most wanted first-party newcomer now, and I'm happy to anticipate her arrival alongside you all. I'm liking the look of all the evidence for her inclusion that you all have dug up, especially the model rifle comments and the timing of X in relation to Ultimate's project plan; not gonna get my hopes too high, but I think she has an excellent shot!
Welcome aboard, fellow BLADE!

What if there’s a surprise Smash trailer stream during Gamescom, a la the Robin and Lucina trailer, and BAM we get Elma? Shulk himself was also announced outside of an (English at least) Direct, said direct being JP only and him popping up on the site the next morning.
That might happen. Since I live in Europe I can follow the Gamescom easely (and I plan to do it because they are teasing stuff for Daemon X Machina). If anything Elma related pops up I will be sure to post it here.

Does anyone have any interesting ideas for the "Question of the Day" during the leadup to Elma's eventual reveal?
One that came in my mind was "which other Xenoblade X character would you like to see in Smash, no matter how unrealistic?", since I already know my answer...
Bring it on, Nagi! Always been a fan of men past their prime still kicking ass!

Or another one might be "Your favourite Xenoblade X moment".

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Even if Elma is revealed for XC2 at gamescom but no word about smash, we can really wait calm until the next direct. But if we wait, it happens, new characters are revealed, but no Elma, then I would start to worry.

I like ghost factory because it is OP and opens windows for us to theorise about Elma's origins.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
How likely do you you think it is that Elma and Cross can get in with Cross being a echo of Elma?
It might work, since Cross can literraly be anything, but at the same time he isn't a real character. SourceGaming's PushDustIn had recently listed some requirements that Sakurai checks when selecting characters. https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1030100656172949504?s=09
IMG_20180817_012027.jpg

Cross actually fails the first point, since he/she is an actual blanck slate were every player can give him/her their personality, unlike other Avatars like Robin who all have a calm and reflective personality. Cross on the other end doesn't have one, and his/her responses to question when he/she is involved can be gentle, snarky, sassy, arrogant...he/she is really entirely up to the player.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Cross also has no default “class” unlike Robin, and they have a ton of weapon sets that can be combined, too many for Smash.

Dang it Smashboards you made me double post

Last edited:

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
It might work, since Cross can literraly be anything, but at the same time he isn't a real character. SourceGaming's PushDustIn had recently listed some requirements that Sakurai checks when selecting characters. https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1030100656172949504?s=09
View attachment 158250
Cross actually fails the first point, since he/she is an actual blanck slate were every player can give him/her their personality, unlike other Avatars like Robin who all have a calm and reflective personality. Cross on the other end doesn't have one, and his/her responses to question when he/she is involved can be gentle, snarky, sassy, arrogant...he/she is really entirely up to the player.
Elma can fill that second requirement easily. What other character can switch between two sets of duel weapons?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
People are assuming that every single newcomer is going to be a fan favourite. And not even Ballot contender,s that's why very few talk about Bandana Dee, who was extremely popular and requested in those days, but they are bringing back character that were requested during Brawl like Skull Kid, even tho their support was weak during the Ballot they are practically confirmed due to the dumb forniture theory.
We just need to come up with our own dumb theory. Something so nonsensical, outlandish, and non-sequitar that the rest of smash boards won't be able to help but support her. Quick, how many times did Sakurai blink in the last direct? Did Sakurai say anything that rhymes with potato? Or better yet why was there so much turkey in the last direct? You know in X there is a something of an emphasis on food segments. Yes, this is how we connect the dots.

Top Bottom