• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
soooo...have any of you kept track on anything that may lead to Elma's debut in Smash Ultimate?

this is what i gathered so far (and personal indications and opinions goes here):
-Sakurai wanted the semi-last DLC to be from a game that was soon releasing somewhere. (like Fates, XCX was already released in Japan and was coming out soon in December overseas. Elma was likely seen as a candidate but was given to Corrin instead, especially how his team endorsed it and talked to Sakurai about it.)
-Ultimate's planning period started around December 2015 and ended at August 2016 when production began according to Mr. Sonobe. (this puts Elma in the "trends of the time" thing which influences the new game's roster a lot)
-the Vifam figma Sakurai's using to reference his work, the figma is a mecha and has a rifle attached to it as well (the figma looks very similar to one of Elma's favorite Skells, the Verus.)
-Caitlin Glass saying her biggest wish is Elma appearing in the game. (while this sounds a bit of a disconfirmation, its not the first time a VA said non-NDA breaking hints to what's to come and revoicing character with another voice actor/seiyuu [see: Smash 4 Palutena or they can just leave her Japanese])

and there was this interesting theory that the seiyuu voicing a FE character in Fire Emblem Heroes could've came in right after doing a voicing role of a unannounced character when they're nearly completed. (Elma's seiyuu, Houko Kuwashima, voiced Tailtiu in October 2017 and Judgement!Simon's seiyuu, Kenichi Suzumara, voiced Leif from March to April 2018; but to be sure, is Suzumara doing Ultimate!Simon tho?)

is there anything else i missed? anything new? just want to stack this up

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
soooo...have any of you kept track on anything that may lead to Elma's debut in Smash Ultimate?

this is what i gathered so far (and personal indications and opinions goes here):
-Sakurai wanted the semi-last DLC to be from a game that was soon releasing somewhere. (like Fates, XCX was already released in Japan and was coming out soon in December overseas. Elma was likely seen as a candidate but was given to Corrin instead, especially how his team endorsed it and talked to Sakurai about it.)
-Ultimate's planning period started around December 2015 and ended at August 2016 when production began according to Mr. Sonobe. (this puts Elma in the "trends of the time" thing which influences the new game's roster a lot)
-the Vifam figma Sakurai's using to reference his work, the figma is a mecha and has a rifle attached to it as well (the figma looks very similar to one of Elma's favorite Skells, the Verus.)
-Caitlin Glass saying her biggest wish is Elma appearing in the game. (while this sounds a bit of a disconfirmation, its not the first time a VA said non-NDA breaking hints to what's to come and revoicing character will another voice actor/seiyuu [see: Smash 4 Palutena or they can just leave her Japanese])

and there was this interesting theory that the seiyuu voicing a FE character in Fire Emblem Heroes could've came in right after doing a voicing role of a unannounced character when they're nearly completed. (Elma's seiyuu, Houko Kuwashima, voiced Tailtiu in October 2017 and Judgement!Simon's seiyuu, Kenichi Suzumara, voiced Leif from March to April 2018; but to be sure, is Suzumara doing Ultimate!Simon tho?)

Also the
datamine that points she being added as a blade in Xenoblade 2, having in mind that Shulk and Fiora were added as blades one day after the annoucement that Shulk would return to smash and Fiora would be added on his final smash. This could be hinting that Elma will appear in Smash in some form, being revealed more or less together with her blade debut in XC2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

-Caitlin Glass saying her biggest wish is Elma appearing in the game. (while this sounds a bit of a disconfirmation, its not the first time a VA said non-NDA breaking hints to what's to come and revoicing character will another voice actor/seiyuu [see: Smash 4 Palutena or they can just leave her Japanese])

With regards to the promotional aspect

Is it possible also that Elma was scrapped in favor of Corrin in the 4 days cause her mechanics wouldn’t work on the 3DS?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

There was also Hiroyuki Sawano composing some music for a secret project that took one hour to make back in March, which some people seem to think was SSBU. IIRC, this also happened with Yoko Shimomura around the same time frame, and she was later confirmed to be composing for SSBU.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
With regards to the promotional aspect

Is it possible also that Elma was scrapped in favor of Corrin in the 4 days cause her mechanics wouldn’t work on the 3DS?
I think it had more to do with the fact that it was a character sold separately from the main game, so they opted for the character from the more popular series. But for the base game she wouldn't have any problem.

Yeah, as other have pointed out, we also have XC2 and Sawano's secret recording.

And another thing that I want to point out about the mech figure is that Sakurai wanted that specifically for the gun, not the mech. But, considering that Sakurai has several action figures, he might have needed that for a character who wields two guns instead of just one...and you know who wields two guns here...

Last edited:

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
And another thing that I want to point out about the mech figure is that Sakurai wanted that specifically for the gun, not the mech. But, considering that Sakurai has several action figures, he might have need that for a character who wields two guns instead of just one...and you know who wields two guns here...
I was almost worried after watching the direct that Sakurai may have bought it because he needed the gun to help design one of the items.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I was almost worried after watching the direct that Sakurai may have bought it because he needed the gun to help design one of the items.
We don't know what he needed it for. It's mere speculation that its for Elma specifically and for all we know it could be for something else entirely.

Take this all with a grain of salt.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh great, there’s this new Japanese prediction leak that everyone is now jumping on as gospel

And there’s no Elma... :( I’m getting worried now

I hope we see the patch soon so we can get a dual reveal...

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
Which item are you talking about?
Either the rage blaster or the staff. But like I said. I was almost worried. After a while of thinking I thought that it probably wasn't true.

Oh great, there’s this new Japanese prediction leak that everyone is now jumping on as gospel

Honestly I feel like most leaks people post are just lucky guesses about character predictions. It's how I felt about the Gematsu leak during Smash 4

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
There was also Hiroyuki Sawano composing some music for a secret project that took one hour to make back in March, which some people seem to think was SSBU. IIRC, this also happened with Yoko Shimomura around the same time frame, and she was later confirmed to be composing for SSBU.
Worth noting that the original composers aren't normally called in to remix their own music, but it's also not unheard of since Yoko Shimomura, the original composer for Street Fighter 2, composed Ryu's theme in Sm4sh and Vega's theme in Ultimate.

Maybe Sakurai figured there's only one Sawano in the world, and it's a fool's errand to try and mimic him.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
ELMA LIVES! YESSSSS!

I’d have been ok with most of the characters on that list anyway, but the lack of Elma really hurt my heart, so glad it’s fake
Personally, I'm ecstatic that the leak is fake, since the only unrevealed characters on there that I like are Geno and Bandana Dee.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard

I think I know which one you're talking about; the one with Lloyd Irving, Isaac, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, right? Because if that's the case, worry not, it's fake. Source Gaming discord discovered that the site the text was from was created today, and the timestamps were altered to make it look like it was made in January.

Edit: Greninja'd.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Either the rage blaster or the staff. But like I said. I was almost worried. After a while of thinking I thought that it probably wasn't true.
I agree, those items don't look like that mech's rifle. The staff is way longer and is holded in a different way and the rage blaster is a normal gun.

Also great news that the leak is fake, but personally the only leak I think has some credibility is Vergeben. He has been spot on so far.
And another thing for me is that every leak with Skull Kid is immediately fake. He is a character that came out of nowhere just after the Moon AT was revealed and for that dumb seats theory. But I'm going off topic...

Worth noting that the original composers aren't normally called in to remix their own music, but it's also not unheard of since Yoko Shimomura, the original composer for Street Fighter 2, composed Ryu's theme in Sm4sh and Vega's theme in Ultimate.

Maybe Sakurai figured there's only one Sawano in the world, and it's a fool's errand to try and mimic him.
He might remix his own music (like making them a little shorter and more fitting for a Smash battle) but he could also do some remixes of other songs from other series. That would be quite interesting. What is for sure is that Sakurai likes to bring in the original composers for the games he is adding (like when he called ACE for Shulk and so on).

Royaru

Smash Cadet
Um... Shulk was announced in a only japanese ND in september four years ago, right?
Curioisly, XC2 Torna goes on sale on September alongside the whole DLC.
A lot of coincidence, also when they announced Shulk, XC port for N3DS was announced.
A less support character after four immensely support character could be an option.
I need news or I will start to see Elma everywhere.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Um... Shulk was announced in a only japanese ND in september four years ago, right?
Curioisly, XC2 Torna goes on sale on September alongside the whole DLC.
A lot of coincidence, also when they announced Shulk, XC port for N3DS was announced.
A less support character after four immensely support character could be an option.
I need news or I will start to see Elma everywhere.
Yeah, a character like Elma might be announced alongside a port of X, so that even the poeple who don't know her can have context. While characters like KKR or Simon can be announced anytime, Elma needs a little push for the pubblic eye. And the period after E3 has always been poor of bame announcements. I'm sure that during fall, when a Direct is heald for early 2019 titles, a port of X will be revealed, probably alongside Elma in Smash.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I forgot how closely Shulk in Smash and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D were revealed, but they were both announced at the end of August, with an 8 month difference between the reveal and XBC3D releasing. Will we get a similar time frame between a port reveal and release? Nintendo's been pretty consistent with revealing things the same year they get released and shorter for ports, the port of DKC:TF had a 4 month gap for instance.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I forgot how closely Shulk in Smash and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D were revealed, but they were both announced at the end of August, with an 8 month difference between the reveal and XBC3D releasing. Will we get a similar time frame between a port reveal and release? Nintendo's been pretty consistent with revealing things the same year they get released and shorter for ports, the port of DKC:TF had a 4 month gap for instance.
I could totally see a reveal of a port of X in the Fall Direct as an early 2019 title, like for January or February. It would be the ideal timeframe for a JRPG.

Also, I have some question for the Fiora's fans here: do you think that she was requested during the Ballot days? Not on the same level as KKR of course, but maybe as much as Dark Samus or Daisy?
Because of that was the case Sakurai might have wanted to add Elma so that he could both add representation to a big Wii U era game (which btw we know he isn't ignoring, just look at Nikki or the Badge Arcade Bunny) and also adding a requested character as an echo.

zferolie

Smash Hero
If we do get a Xenoblade X port announcment, I assume we will get Elma close or soon after. I still think next non nintendo direct will show off the new pokemon, but they could also show Elma. I still think she has a good chance given how much Sakurai likes the series.

And Rex is a shoe in for early DLC for the game, along with a gen 7 pokemon rep if the rumors are true about Gardevoir/Gothitelle getting in.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I could totally see a reveal of a port of X in the Fall Direct as an early 2019 title, like for January or February. It would be the ideal timeframe for a JRPG.

Also, I have some question for the Fiora's fans here: do you think that she was requested during the Ballot days? Not on the same level as KKR of course, but maybe as much as Dark Samus or Daisy?
Because of that was the case Sakurai might have wanted to add Elma so that he could both add representation to a big Wii U era game (which btw we know he isn't ignoring, just look at Nikki or the Badge Arcade Bunny) and also adding a requested character as an echo.
I think Fiora would have fallen somewhere behind Daisy but just a touch ahead of Dark Samus. I’d imagine fellow super detailed Final Smash cameo (with potential for echo) characters Bass, Proto Man and Kumatora were in the same boat.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think Fiora would have fallen somewhere behind Daisy but just a touch ahead of Dark Samus. I’d imagine fellow super detailed Final Smash cameo (with potential for echo) characters Bass, Proto Man and Kumatora were in the same boat.
I was wandering about it since we have seen her pop out in Shulk's FS, and in XC2 we have her alongside Shulk, and she also appears alone in Project X Zone 2. Not having played that much of the original Xenoblade I sure see her appear frequently, as if she was one of the most popular characters from that game. Just saying...

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

As far as Xenoblade fans she's definitely popular, but there's not that many xenoblade fans in the first place, especially in 2015, so in the grand scheme of things she probably didn't place very high, likely the highest of all Xenoblade characters though hence her inclusion in Shulk's FS

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
As far as Xenoblade fans she's definitely popular, but there's not that many xenoblade fans in the first place, especially in 2015, so in the grand scheme of things she probably didn't place very high, likely the highest of all Xenoblade characters though hence her inclusion in Shulk's FS
That's true, but at the same time the N3DS port was released in 2015 IIRC, so maybe someone who first played the game around that time might have dropped a vote for her in there? IDK I'm just wishfully thinking right now.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
That's true, but at the same time the N3DS port was released in 2015 IIRC, so maybe someone who first played the game around that time might have dropped a vote for her in there? IDK I'm just wishfully thinking right now.
How well did the 3DS port sell anyway?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
The only known numbers we have for XC3D is 78k for Japan and less than 75k for the USA. I would think it's 200-400k worldwide by now.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
According to VGChartz, it sold 0.56 Million copies. Not an astonishing number, but still relevant I would say.
I'd avoid using VGChartz. They're not a reliable source. :S

Considering the fact that it was sold exclusively for the NEW Nintendo 3DS and was the only exclusive for the platform, I think it did pretty well. Had it been available across all 3DS platforms, it would've been a much larger sales success.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'd avoid using VGChartz. They're not a reliable source. :S

Considering the fact that it was sold exclusively for the NEW Nintendo 3DS and was the only exclusive for the platform, I think it did pretty well. Had it been available across all 3DS platforms, it would've been a much larger sales success.
I know, that's why I pointed out it was them, but since I couldn't find any other report I used that.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
So I know Monolith have officially said they're interested in making a sequel to X, but have they also said anything about porting the first game to the Switch?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
So I know Monolith have officially said they're interested in making a sequel to X, but have they also said anything about porting the first game to the Switch?
If you're talking about XCX, then yes. I don't think they said anything about XC though.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Takahashi from Monolith Soft has stated multiple times that he would LOVE to port X to the Switch once development on XC2 is over (which would probably be quite soon, once Torna is released).

https://nintendoeverything.com/taka...-love-to-think-about-xenoblade-x-switch-port/
Here is what he says on the matter:

Thank you for that feedback. I think we’re currently completely focused on creating Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and even after I go back to Japan, I have a mountain of tasks that I need to overcome. But I would love to think about it, after the development for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is completed.
The "mountain of tasks" must've been related to the DLC and their new IP. I wonder if he counts Torna ~ The Golden Country as part of XC2's development, because if that's the case, then he'll start to think about doing an XCX port fairly soon.

With that being said, I hope they'll consider making a major story DLC expansion to make the port more enticing. This would be a good way to keep Xenoblade fans satisfied for a couple of years before the next Xenoblade title.

Edit: I wouldn't expect a port anytime this year. Next year is the earliest.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Is the whole dev team working on torna though? or just a part of the team while another part could focus on other projects?
That is actually a great question of which I don't know the answer of.

Edit: Today they have released the Gang-Plank Galleon remix. Besides being awesome (as expected, since ACE is behind it) I've noticed that it is the first song from Donkey Kong to be featured on the website. I think this probably means that series with a unique newcomer might be hold back for remixes until that character is revealed. And you know...Xenoblade's Music has yet to be featured on the website...;)

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If that's true and newcomers are accompanied by songs, then I'mma pour one our for Waddle Dee because Kirby's City Trial is already up there.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
If that's true and newcomers are accompanied by songs, then I'mma pour one our for Waddle Dee because Kirby's City Trial is already up there.
Well there are probably going to be repeats, I suppose, especially for sings that came out early on the website. Some series will not get new remixes apparently, like Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B. *coff coff Final Fantasy coff thanks for nothing Square coff coff*

Also I don't think Bandana Dee has a particular tune associated with him. For his reveal trailer they could use the City Trial song without problems. My idea was more for characters who would have music associated with them, like Gang-Plank Galleon with KKR, or any Xenoblade X music for Elma. It may also be for echoes, like maybe next week we will see one of the Awekening remixes that have been teased in some trailers for Chrom, or an Animal Crossing remix after Isabelle is revealed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom