• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elite Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I merged them. No need for more than 1 thread about Elite.

Speaking of which dang I'm in the same boat as others who keep getting higher (1.3 mil) with multiple characters and still can't unlock it ><

1FC0

Smash Lord
I merged them. No need for more than 1 thread about Elite.
Makes sense to me.

Speaking of which dang I'm in the same boat as others who keep getting higher (1.3 mil) with multiple characters and still can't unlock it ><
Just because you cannot unlock it does not mean that it's existence is a question.

MarioLutherKing

Smash Rookie
Think I faced 2 good people in Elite smash out of like 30 battles, the rest were cheesy or zoning annoying players. Have fun in elite smash boys.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Think I faced 2 good people in Elite smash out of like 30 battles, the rest were cheesy or zoning annoying players. Have fun in elite smash boys.
If you think all zoning players are bad (aka you beat them with ease) then your GSP should be pretty high.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Seems like the GSP is hovering around 1.3 million for many fighters now. Maybe it stopped rising insanely fast

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
It was a struggle for some of these but I finally finished elite on every character today!

Now I’ll just not worry about them dropping ranks but I wanted a full roster at one point.

Anyone else hit this yet? I gotta admit, even though it’s just barely a leg up on for glory, this was still quite satisfying
0832BCFA-44EE-44EB-8D6A-63B07A1B9D84.jpeg

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I just got it with Mario around 1,488,589 GSP. I know elite isn't all that, but it feels good for me to at least know that Sakurai considers that as "You're good" point in smash. I'm not a fan of online as I really can't bare online lag at all for smash. I'm all in it for single player stuff but I just feel like i wouldn't be called good if I didn't even get elite. Silly I know but I got it anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've been knocked back to 1,275,184 again so that was short lived. Wish Rosalina wasn't so bad in this game but it was (not) fun for the two matches it lasted.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I've been knocked back to 1,275,184 again so that was short lived. Wish Rosalina wasn't so bad in this game but it was (not) fun for the two matches it lasted.
no worries you'll get it back, I was glad I only had to hit 1 win with Rosa to get her into elite lol... she is way weaker to me and her desync isn't nearly as fun :c

You may want to find a secondary to deal with all the swords out there right now

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I wouldn't mind if the quickplay wasn't still jam packed with ffa items on janky stage matches. For every step forward I take three steps back5, it's infuriating lol

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
It was a struggle for some of these but I finally finished elite on every character today!

Now I’ll just not worry about them dropping ranks but I wanted a full roster at one point.

Anyone else hit this yet? I gotta admit, even though it’s just barely a leg up on for glory, this was still quite satisfying View attachment 183093
Um, color me impressed. :O

Last edited:

Greaseman

Smash Rookie
I still haven't hit elite play and I've been hovering around 1.4m+ for awhile. I think it's probably at around 1.5m at the moment for anyone who might be wondering.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I still haven't hit elite play and I've been hovering around 1.4m+ for awhile. I think it's probably at around 1.5m at the moment for anyone who might be wondering.
I think I can confirm. I hit about 1.48m several hours ago and that's where I first got elite. Now I'm sitting at the start of 1.5m and I haven't played any matches at all.

Victor Trinh

Smash Rookie
Has anyone gotten high enough for Elite Smash?
If so, is it better than the terrible normal matchmaking?
I just got in with Pit at 1.4 million. My Corrin is a 1.5 mil and not in. I dont understand. I have more over 1.3 million, but they haven't got it. What the absolute cheese?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I just got in with Pit at 1.4 million. My Corrin is a 1.5 mil and not in. I dont understand. I have more over 1.3 million, but they haven't got it. What the absolute cheese?
Global Smash Power is the number of players you outrank. It says nothing about how many players outrank you.

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
The way this system works is really obnoxious. The more games you play with a character, the more your GSP gain will slowdown as you approach Elite Smash. My most played character right now is Snake, at around 70 games, and I'm hanging around the 1.45 million GSP mark. A victory is giving me about 10-12k GSP at this point, a loss deducts 10-15k GSP. If the Elite Smash threshold is 1.55 million, I need to win about 10 games in a row to make it there. Meanwhile, I pick a fresh character, K. Rool. I win 4 games in a row with this fresh character and I'm in Elite Smash because the GSP is still swinging by hundreds of thousands for each victory and loss. My last two games as Snake were against a Pokemon Trainer who SDed twice in 30 seconds and a Cloud who had literal seconds of input delay rendering the match unplayable, so it's not really a great indicator of skill.

As is now, the system punishes you for not immediately hitting Elite Smash with a character. GSP gains diminish the more and more you play a character, but it never picks back up. I went from a pretty even 50% win rate for half of those Snake games, but my win rate for the last 20 is closer to 70%, yet it just becomes harder and harder to make it to Elite Smash since I didn't get lucky my first few games (I've had games at 1.4 million GSP matched with players with 700k, there's no doubt already good players are getting buoyed with lopsided matchmaking like this). As is now, you either enter Elite right off the bat with a win streak of 3-5 games, or you have to enter it with a win streak in the double digits. I hope that they really tweak this system, it just feels bad.

Hey, here's an update. I won three games in a row. I gained 12k, 10k, and 11k GSP for these respectively. I lost one game (against someone with 10k less GSP than me if you're wondering) and lost 30k GSP for it. So three wins are almost completely invalidated by one loss. This system has absolutely zero rhyme or reason to it, this is one of the worst ranking systems I've ever seen in a game.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Amen to that lol seeing as my best performance is in team battle no items and literally 20 of my past 25 games were either 1v1 or FFA with items lol

Pyr

Smash Lord
The way this system works is really obnoxious. The more games you play with a character, the more your GSP gain will slowdown as you approach Elite Smash. My most played character right now is Snake, at around 70 games, and I'm hanging around the 1.45 million GSP mark. A victory is giving me about 10-12k GSP at this point, a loss deducts 10-15k GSP. If the Elite Smash threshold is 1.55 million, I need to win about 10 games in a row to make it there. Meanwhile, I pick a fresh character, K. Rool. I win 4 games in a row with this fresh character and I'm in Elite Smash because the GSP is still swinging by hundreds of thousands for each victory and loss. My last two games as Snake were against a Pokemon Trainer who SDed twice in 30 seconds and a Cloud who had literal seconds of input delay rendering the match unplayable, so it's not really a great indicator of skill.

As is now, the system punishes you for not immediately hitting Elite Smash with a character. GSP gains diminish the more and more you play a character, but it never picks back up. I went from a pretty even 50% win rate for half of those Snake games, but my win rate for the last 20 is closer to 70%, yet it just becomes harder and harder to make it to Elite Smash since I didn't get lucky my first few games (I've had games at 1.4 million GSP matched with players with 700k, there's no doubt already good players are getting buoyed with lopsided matchmaking like this). As is now, you either enter Elite right off the bat with a win streak of 3-5 games, or you have to enter it with a win streak in the double digits. I hope that they really tweak this system, it just feels bad.

Hey, here's an update. I won three games in a row. I gained 12k, 10k, and 11k GSP for these respectively. I lost one game (against someone with 10k less GSP than me if you're wondering) and lost 30k GSP for it. So three wins are almost completely invalidated by one loss. This system has absolutely zero rhyme or reason to it, this is one of the worst ranking systems I've ever seen in a game.
...You are aware that basically every ranking system in modern online games uses a system of accelerated growth and loss for initial games and for streaks, right? And it works just fine. It gets you where you need to be, for even games, as fast as possible.

It also means that long, positive win records are rewarded with more and more of the hidden MMR. The same goes for loses leading to bigger losses in the future if you just keep losing.

If you keep going, you'll get there if you deserve to be there with that character. Not that Elite Smash is anything more then a little gold star: meaningless, but shiny.

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
...You are aware that basically every ranking system in modern online games uses a system of accelerated growth and loss for initial games and for streaks, right? And it works just fine. It gets you where you need to be, for even games, as fast as possible.

It also means that long, positive win records are rewarded with more and more of the hidden MMR. The same goes for loses leading to bigger losses in the future if you just keep losing.

If you keep going, you'll get there if you deserve to be there with that character. Not that Elite Smash is anything more then a little gold star: meaningless, but shiny.
Other ranking systems have tiered ranking systems and placement matches though. You don't streak from placements to the highest rank tier in those systems, they typically will place you in the upper tiers but can reasonably expect you to work your way up from there. You don't get placed in Master's in SC2 because you won 10 placement matches. The reason Smash's system frustrates me is because you can do this, being able to win a couple games right off the bat and be immediately considered a top tier player makes the moniker feel unearned.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Other ranking systems have tiered ranking systems and placement matches though. You don't streak from placements to the highest rank tier in those systems, they typically will place you in the upper tiers but can reasonably expect you to work your way up from there. You don't get placed in Master's in SC2 because you won 10 placement matches. The reason Smash's system frustrates me is because you can do this, being able to win a couple games right off the bat and be immediately considered a top tier player makes the moniker feel unearned.
Your first games are your "placement matches," as you've discovered with going into elite in your first few games, or getting dunked in ranking if you lose. I can also confirm this is in place (for at least 10 games), considering how booty I did with Chrom at first. 4 losses, then 5 consecutive wins got me close to elite, with GSP increases being normal for my newer-used characters that do well. The game doesn't have a ranking system outside of "you're better then x number of people!" So that is a non-factor. This system is purely there to prevent stomps/getting stomped as quickly as possible, then to re-stabilize players that take a break.

That said, Elite smash is just a name. A gold star. It is NOT something to aspire to. It's not a bragging right, especially this early on. GSP isn't the best system and doesn't give as much info as I'd like, but it'll work, as designed, far later on when we aren't getting a hundred thousand new players daily. It can be used to track progress and relative skill level over time. Giving even a single thought to your GSP this early on will harm you as a player. You'll be giving attention to a gameplay aspect that is a non-factor, taking time and attention from real factors. Your first thought post match should be, "Where can I improve," not, "I lost 30k GSP and 30k people just went up 1 point!"

The overall system is actually really straightforward and intuitive. It makes sense in the light of what its end goal is likely going to be. I also guarantee Nintendo isn't going to be paying much attention to Elite Smash in the beginning here because everyone is new and unstable. Why should you?

Aes2

Smash Rookie
Think Elite Smash is sitting around 1.57M as of today. Just got and am sitting at 1.6M. Is the GSP calculating on a regional basis? Watching Zero's stream right now and his high GSP is 1.617M which seems low given how much better he has than me. I know he switches characters every game but I'd still expect a higher GSP.

Wish there was just a ladder/ranking system, the GSP non-sense is annoying!

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
Your first games are your "placement matches," as you've discovered with going into elite in your first few games, or getting dunked in ranking if you lose. I can also confirm this is in place (for at least 10 games), considering how booty I did with Chrom at first. 4 losses, then 5 consecutive wins got me close to elite, with GSP increases being normal for my newer-used characters that do well. The game doesn't have a ranking system outside of "you're better then x number of people!" So that is a non-factor. This system is purely there to prevent stomps/getting stomped as quickly as possible, then to re-stabilize players that take a break.

That said, Elite smash is just a name. A gold star. It is NOT something to aspire to. It's not a bragging right, especially this early on. GSP isn't the best system and doesn't give as much info as I'd like, but it'll work, as designed, far later on when we aren't getting a hundred thousand new players daily. It can be used to track progress and relative skill level over time. Giving even a single thought to your GSP this early on will harm you as a player. You'll be giving attention to a gameplay aspect that is a non-factor, taking time and attention from real factors. Your first thought post match should be, "Where can I improve," not, "I lost 30k GSP and 30k people just went up 1 point!"

The overall system is actually really straightforward and intuitive. It makes sense in the light of what its end goal is likely going to be. I also guarantee Nintendo isn't going to be paying much attention to Elite Smash in the beginning here because everyone is new and unstable. Why should you?
And I'm saying that placements do not work like this in any other game for a reason. Nobody should be getting put into the top tier after a few games, a sample size that low is beyond laughable. That's the whole reason placement matches exist in the first place, to gauge a player's skill before attempting to rank them.

I don't find the GSP matchmaking system works consistently as I mentioned before. I've gotten matches with people half of my GSP, and the quality can drastically vary, likely due to the swingy GSP. I can be facing someone who's only played 2 or 3 games in the 1.5 million range. It seems to try to find someone in your range, but I don't know why those glaring exceptions pop up. It's probably due to how much it tries to match up people with similar rulesets and we can only speculate how that whole process works. Anyways, my thoughts on Elite Smash are if it's so meaningless that it just wasn't a good addition to the game then. Adding stakes to every match who's rewards may never materialize for some players doesn't feel good; that's why tiered systems exist to give players smaller-scale goals to strive towards over time instead of "I want to be the highest rank".

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Think Elite Smash is sitting around 1.57M as of today. Just got and am sitting at 1.6M. Is the GSP calculating on a regional basis? Watching Zero's stream right now and his high GSP is 1.617M which seems low given how much better he has than me. I know he switches characters every game but I'd still expect a higher GSP.

Wish there was just a ladder/ranking system, the GSP non-sense is annoying!
Seems more likely that it's just that there isn't that many more top players. Which is why zero isn't going much higher. We've basically made it past the majority of average players and so our levels hardly go anywhere at this point considering we're around top percentage.

Chrop

Smash Rookie
Seems more likely that it's just that there isn't that many more top players. Which is why zero isn't going much higher. We've basically made it past the majority of average players and so our levels hardly go anywhere at this point considering we're around top percentage.
It’s pretty safe to say we’re at the very top, we’re so used to constantly playing against other top players that when we get to numbers as high as 1.6 million we lose track of how good we are compared to the average person.

You may think the difference between 1.6m and 1.617m is very small. But think about it like this.
If the cap is 1.650m, then top 1% of all players would put you at the top 16,500 players (GPS 1.633mil). You’re very likely to be in the top 3% globally and thus can only move within 50,000 point difference. Which is the difference between 1.6mil and 1.65mil.

Bring this back to 1.6m and Zero’s 1.617m, The gap is small because you’re essentially only behind 17,000 people between you and Zero. I’d say It’s pretty accurate.

Last edited:

pH1988

Smash Rookie
I reached Elite with Bowser around 1.4 mil. I haven't done a thing since and it's at 1.626 mil, still in elite. My Peach however is not, sitting at 1.5 mil. Roster is 1.113 mil.

Aes2

Smash Rookie
It’s pretty safe to say we’re at the very top, we’re so used to constantly playing against other top players that when we get to numbers as high as 1.6 million we lose track of how good we are compared to the average person.

You may think the difference between 1.6m and 1.617m is very small. But think about it like this.
If the cap is 1.650m, then top 1% of all players would put you at the top 16,500 players (GPS 1.633mil). You’re very likely to be in the top 3% globally and thus can only move within 50,000 point difference. Which is the difference between 1.6mil and 1.65mil.

Bring this back to 1.6m and Zero’s 1.617m, The gap is small because you’re essentially only behind 17,000 people between you and Zero. I’d say It’s pretty accurate.
Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense! My GSP is still swinging by around 7-10K per game, more if I lose. Wish we had GSP/Elite Smash/ranking system for 2v2 as well... 1v1 is fun but I could see it getting boring while playing 2v2 with a friend could be a ton of fun with all the combinations you could play together and against.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
My Yoshi is at 1.6 mil and I unlocked Elite Smash 2 days ago. Today my Toon Link reached 1.6 mil and it isn't unlocked on him. Not sure why this is.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
I suppose if player numbers affect it, getting elite witj my boy Link is going to be difficult.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
My Yoshi is at 1.6 mil and I unlocked Elite Smash 2 days ago. Today my Toon Link reached 1.6 mil and it isn't unlocked on him. Not sure why this is.
I think around 1.62 is qualifying for elite at the moment. So if Took Link is slightly below, then there's your answer. I just got Elite with Educated Mario. I got just right at 1.6 with him and no elite, one more battle and I got in. My Mario, who is also elite, is hanging onto 1.62 which I believe is the starting point of elite currently.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Just played a few matches with R.O.B.. I have barely touched Ultimate R.O.B. but I already made it in Elite Smash. Poor low GSP noobs had no idea they would be playing against the best character of FG, i.e. my R.O.B.. I bet they were still celebrating that my R.O.B. got left behind on FG. How abruptly must their cheers have been quelled when they suddenly saw The R.O.B. appearing on Quickplay.

Your safest choice is to stay out of Elite Smash since that is now the home of The R.O.B..

Mingy Jongo

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any tips for someone who's never played competitively to do better? I made it in twice as ROB way early on and have never seen it again. My current GSP is 1.5 million, but I feel like I've completely hit a wall because I'm getting matched up against players with a similar GSP that completely destroy me, and ones that I completely destroy. Only occasionally is the match even close, which makes no sense because I am getting matched up in the 1.4-1.6 million range and the ability of players at each end seems all over the place. I'll win like two of those matches by a mile and move up 60k and then lose a really close one and drop everything I've gained and more. I want to win at least one Elite battle just to say I did but can't make it back in, despite tons of people online talking about how "easy" it is to get in. It's really depressing because I've been playing video games since the NES and Smash since 64 and have never had any problem with single player, completing every challenge and collecting every trophy in each game, including all the spirits, challenges, and milestones (other than the play 1000+ matches ones) in this one in less than a week, and when I play other people locally I stomp them, but holy crap if online isn't just kicking my butt and I don't know how to improve. I play ROB and constantly outpace people in damage but just can't get a kill in with him. Almost all my KO's come from me making a slip up at far less damage when I'm trying to get a good hit on my opponent who is in the 150+ damage range. Does ROB have any good kill moves whatsoever? I'm pretty set on maining him as I've actually had a real one since I was a kid. Idk, maybe I'm just garbage, but I would have at least thought I'd be able to make the top 10% for elite considering I'm extremely skilled at video games in general. I'm also 1.5 million with Little Mac (and at one point hit 1.6 mil after a lucky match) but I don't see being able to advance with him at all due to his horrific recovery. I have no idea how people can get much higher with him, yet apparently at least 10% of the playerbase is able to as 1.6 wasn't even enough for elite for him. The only other thing I can think of is my girlfriend played a bunch online with a couple characters and tanked their GSP, but I don't play as them so they wouldn't have any influence on other characters getting into Elite, right?

Is there anyone that would be willing to play me online and critique me?

Last edited:

Phosphophyllite

Smash Cadet
Reached Elite Smash with Ridley with 1.7 Mil, not too far off with Dedede and K Rool so I might focus on getting them there as well. I don't expect to stay long though, my Ridley is pretty mediocre. I wonder if the threshold is just going to keep getting higher and higher or if it'll fluctuate naturally based on the performance of Elite Smash players.

rayhaku809

Smash Rookie
Got in with Palutena at 1.7 mil also. Just finished losing all 6 out of my 6 elite smash battles with her. Booted back down in 1.6 mil. Makes me wonder how I even got in there in the first place. Like, I knew I was bad but good God I was getting massacred in there lol

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
So it's based off the top percentage of players? I keep hovering around 1.5k since i started playing online 2 days ago, but havent gotten to 1.7 yet. The 1.6ers are def way better than everyone else ive been playing haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom