• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elite Brawl Tournaments are going to stink now

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
1st round matchups "Marth vs. Marth, Marth vs. Marth, Marth vs. Marth, Marth vs. Marth"

seriously Marth is way too broken in this game he is literally 50 times better than the second best character in this game.

The Metagame is going to consist of Marth only players because no other character will have a chance vs. a solid Marth.

He has no glaring weaknesses... I wish we could tone him down a notch

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
Super Marth Brothers Brawl anyone?
lol. but even if Marth IS a beast, that do not mean you'll always win, because toon link, Weege, pit, Zelda, Ike, Space animals and Samus are quite good to (and Pit, Zelda, Samus, And Toon Link seem to be quite effective against Marth thanks to their projectile).

But yet Marth is top-tier material, is incredible strong, useful and skilled. But melee Marth was high tier and COULD defeat fox and falco, the TOP tiers.

Also if you are scared of TONS of Marth's dittos, well, there are tons of people who can't stand bishonens (petty boys), and will never main the for that (which i found stupid).

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Eh, you're overrating him. Fanboyism aside, his lack of projectiles makes him incredibly vulnerable to campy characters, especially the other two "candidates" for top-tier, Wolf and Toon Link. As the metagame evolves, it's likely that Marth won't necessarily keep the spotlight he has now.

He's high-tier guarantee at best, because Brawl is going to all be about projectile spamming (at least that's what it seems like it is, the discussion thread on whether or not Melee or Brawl should be the main competitive game hits the nail on the fact that projectile spamming is a big issue here; you'll understand more if you just check out the first post and read through it).

So yeah, he's good, but he falls victim to the same things that plagued before. How that fans out is unknown as of now, as this game is rather different from Melee.

tsuji

Smash Rookie
You are overrating Marth way too much :3. Marth isn't that godly. You probably think he's that good because he knocks people back far when hit, tipper, range but I find myself having lots of trouble against character with range weapon and also character that are fast and have priority(toon link, fox, diddy, meta knight, pit and so on...). I don't think we will see too many Marth because all character have lots of potential and he's gonna probably be in high tier but definitely not in the top tier (that's my opinion after playing him against many char). Anyways I really think anyone who says that Marth is cheap/godly/has lots of advantage are people who haven't played with Marth against good people with other char.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
wow. thats a such a "smart" thing to say. i like your reasons as well:
#1. hes broken
#2. he has no glaring weakness.

man you have the game all figured out after just a couple weeks of release. THAT IS AWESOME! YOU ARE A SOOO "SMART!"

but seriously, this is the dumbest post ive ever seen. please stop posting. why dont u respect others opinions and characters. stop thinking yours are so godly and the only way to go.

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
wow. thats a such a "smart" thing to say. i like your reasons as well:
#1. hes broken
#2. he has no glaring weakness.

man you have the game all figured out after just a couple weeks of release. THAT IS AWESOME! YOU ARE A SOOO "SMART!"

but seriously, this is the dumbest post ive ever seen. please stop posting. why dont u respect others opinions and characters. stop thinking yours are so godly and the only way to go.
Calm down dude. Pikachu is my main anyways. You Have to admit that Marth is broken though, it is pretty ridiculous

cheifrocka

Smash Apprentice
He isn't broken. M2k and I (HURR HURR) both agree that campers make for a tough match. Especially shield/shield grab whores.

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
lol. but even if Marth IS a beast, that do not mean you'll always win, because toon link, Weege, pit, Zelda, Ike, Space animals and Samus are quite good to (and Pit, Zelda, Samus, And Toon Link seem to be quite effective against Marth thanks to their projectile).

But yet Marth is top-tier material, is incredible strong, useful and skilled. But melee Marth was high tier and COULD defeat fox and falco, the TOP tiers.

Also if you are scared of TONS of Marth's dittos, well, there are tons of people who can't stand bishonens (petty boys), and will never main the for that (which i found stupid).
I agree Marth is a True Beast. He has mostly everything. But it is not like he is unbeatable. Like you said. Marth has problems with projectile people. I highly agree and i think people should just be quiet. Marth IS a great person to be, but he isnt invicible.

Expecially in this game, where almost ANYCHARATER can be good, depends on who is using them.

Zhalseran

Smash Rookie
Nobody knows what Marth's metagame is going to look like in Brawl. Right now everyone is playing Marth and every other character like they are still playing Melee, and Marth's simply seems to be pretty similar. There are a TON of characters in Brawl, there might be a fair few top-level marths but that in no way means that everyone is going to play him.

The only way to tell for sure is to wait and see.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
Marth is the best character in the game, barnone. He has no weaknesses except explosive projectiles and the players patience. counter + shield will defeat all campies.

Antonio Tiznado

Smash Rookie
Calm down dude. Pikachu is my main anyways. You Have to admit that Marth is broken though, it is pretty ridiculous
god you sound like this one kid i know who wont be quiet about how cheap marth is with his incredibaly spammable fair fair short hop (repeat). marth loses to any projectile character. havent you ever thought that you just are not that good at the game, and that is why you always lose to a marth? or so you think you can win agianst EVERY other character except marth? geeze.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i love how many 2008 members are in this thread and don't know what they're talking about.

Marth loses against super campy people, it's true. you can try and find a way around it, and it's possible to beat them, but they are the reason why marth is not the best in the game.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
My friend played a camping Samus all during Melee and a couple of games in Brawl, as annoying as I find it, I can still beat him. (He has since quit maining Samus because of her being slightly slower)

Overall I have found Marth to have deviated too far from the Marth I knew for six years. Yeah, he's still fast, and still has his great aerial game, but his hitbox seems smaller now, and I know his grab reach isn't as long anymore. At least, I think I know... maybe it's all in my head or something. Really, I don't think he's unstoppable, by no means. Broken? Yes. As usual. But there are a lot of projectile using characters this time around. Strong, fast projectiles. As soon as people stop living in Melee and stop trying to main their old character, the sooner people will find ways to put Marth in the same perspective as most of the other characters.

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
1st round matchups "Marth vs. Marth, Marth vs. Marth, Marth vs. Marth, Marth vs. Marth"

seriously Marth is way too broken in this game he is literally 50 times better than the second best character in this game.

The Metagame is going to consist of Marth only players because no other character will have a chance vs. a solid Marth.

He has no glaring weaknesses... I wish we could tone him down a notch
I Totally disagree with this. Anyone with decent projectiles, like wolf, and pit easily trouble marth by just spamming projectiles. When I ever fight a wolf I ledge stall to make him on the offensive instead of me because the only way to get past his lasers is in the air or roll. Rolling is very punishable, and through the air is risky also expecially against pits curving arrows. Marth is not the best in the game Imo. Top tier of course, but not the best.

jngshin

Smash Cadet
marth COULD be a god tier, or he could not. the fact is, marth right now is heavily favored because he is most similar to melee. Ill give you a good example:
Imagine if ROB was in melee, and marth wasn't, and ROB was similar in melee as he is now. ROB's metagame would be developed for many many years, and because he is similar in brawl, people will immediately know how to use him well. The fact that ROB can fly a long time and edgeguard people, and his rather strong attacks, +the metagame from melee will probably make people shout top tier. Meanwhile, we get this new guy named marth, who doesn't even have a projectile... I can't say people would be calling him god tier if he was brand new.

Rune24

Smash Rookie

How ironic.

Leeroy

Smash Rookie
Marth is not a god. I main him, and his hitbox for almost every attack got smaller. This is frustrating since in Brawl and Melee you get your power from tippers, and the tip in brawl would be the center of the sword in melee.

He's faster then a lot of characters in Brawl, but his recovery sucks, especially with overB not influencing your direction in midair. Also I get caught on the side of Final Destination way too often, Up B just makes me hit the stage under the ledge and therefore die.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
In my opinion way too many people are making early predictions about Brawl, the mete-game for a LOT of the characters in has simply not-developed.

There are a lot of new characters and thus a lot more of their meta-games to discover, no one can make predictions about tier or the tournaments because there are so many new characters, all we can do is wait, see the discovery posts, and see how Brawl turns out.

So, all in all, I'd have to disagree with the first post, as stated above we don't know the meta-game for several of the characters in Brawl, there's just no way to tell who's going to come up and surpass Marth.

When we went from SSB to SSBM there was a considerable difference in the characters on the top through bottom tier. (Proof: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tier_List)
)

Maybe the same exact thing will happen with Brawl, we simply don't know.

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
god tier? no one in this game is even upper high tier

its basically:
high middle tier
middle tier
low middle tier

high middle: marth, toonL, wolf, MK, pit, rob
middle tier: everyone else
low middle tier: ganon/DK(too slow for 1on1, but uber power), yoshi(no 3rd jump is somewhat problematic), olimar/zzs(tether recovery only is painful)

however tiers in brawl are just 1on1 tiers, characters like ganon and bowser for example do much better in teams or free for alls because of their emense strength

overall ive been playing it since it came out, i already have 80 hours of gameplay, this game is FAR more balanced than melee EVER was
even with lvl 9(cpus are 2x harder in brawl) pit vs ganon (me) i can come out on top even though they perfect shield and dodge constantly

tiers are for quiers, they ruin the game

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
^ someone who's been around here for a while with some sense.

looks like OP is a 2008 member too. why don't you guys wait another year or so and gain some knowledge before you start posting like this.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I'll agree with that statement.

I didn't especially feel like typing more than a quick response in my post right before yours, so I'm glad someone took the time to more thoroughly evaluate the Marth vs. projectiles matchup.
=)

V

Smash Ace
campers with projectiles **** marth big time so side step and roll dodge or even use counter when approaching them.

dancing blade = best attack in the game. period

Anklez15

Smash Apprentice
lol it takes skill to play with marth it is not like u can just spam f smash u have to be able to space urself. also marth can get beat by toon link who is AMAZING at comboing in brawl i think the best comboer in brawl hands down

OBanner

Smash Rookie
lol it takes skill to play with marth it is not like u can just spam f smash u have to be able to space urself. also marth can get beat by toon link who is AMAZING at comboing in brawl i think the best comboer in brawl hands down
Na, Toon Link is about the same as Marth, except for the short hop double arrow. My friend is pretty good with TL and I played him today with Marth, which was my main in SSBM( No I didn't choose him just because of that my first mains were Sonic and Ike). Even if your up against a really good comboer, you can easily stop them with an unexpectd down B counter. I agree that Marth is really broken in this game, but a lot of the new characters are really good also. And Even if Marth was in SSBM, that's not the only reason people main him. Most of the advanced techniquest in SSBM were based on glitches, like Wave Dash, and Shine Wave. In Brawl, they eliminated these glitches, they also changed Marths attacks a lot. When I first played Brawl at my friend's house, I was equally unfamiliar to both Marth's and other characters' moves as the whole gameplay is different. You can't say that a character is only good because many people mained him in a previous game.

Top Bottom