• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Eggman has the Master Plan!" - Dr. Eggman/Robotnik for Smash Switch

defintlynotreal

Smash Rookie

Who is Dr. Eggman?

Dr. Eggman, also named Dr. Robotnik, is the main antagonist of the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a scientist who specializes in robotics, making said robots specifically to stop Sonic and his friends from foiling his plans to create an empire. The closest he has gotten to making this empire was in the recently released Sonic Forces, however, he was eventually stopped in traditional hero fashion. As the description from his Smash 4 trophy states: "You'd think a man with an IQ of 300 would stop going up against Sonic, but he keeps on trying, all to build a world around his Eggman Empire."

Why would Eggman be a legible Smash Switch Candidate?

Eggman has some excellent potential for a fully fleshed out moveset with all the inventions and robots he's made over the years. Most of his special attacks could utilize these inventions, such as his Egg Mobile. His final smash also has a lot of options, including Egg Dragoon, and, for fans of Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces, the Phantom Ruby or the Death Egg Robot.

Eggman has appeared in past Smash games, albeit as trophies. An Eggman trophy can be unlocked in Brawl and both versions of Smash 4.

To me, another good reason to include Eggman in Smash Switch is to have a character to represent the villains of the Sonic series, much like how Bowser reps the villains of the Mario series, and how Ganondorf reps the villains of the Zelda series. Many other prominent villains exist in the Sonic series, such as Metal Sonic, Zavok, and Infinite, however, Eggman would be the obvious choice since he's been fighting Sonic since the beginning.

The only downside I can think of is a lack of inspiration for primary attacks, like ground and air attacks, since Eggman isn't very well known for jumping around and throwing punches and kicks, but that might just be me.

tl;dr Recap

Pros

Excellent moveset potential
Good rep for Sonic villains
Could be very fun to play as
We need more Sonic characters in Smash, man

Cons
Trouble with primary attacks
Could get what I call the "Waluigi Treatment" (i.e. Staying as a trophy or becoming just an assist trophy)

Last edited:

FishingCroagunk

Smash Rookie
I feel like Eggman has a better chance of being playable than Waluigi. The Mario series has a lot of characters, even is you don't count the spin-offs (Yoshi, Wario, DK). Granted, I'd be happy with either of them.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Damn right, I love Eggman, I think he would make a fantastic Smash addition. Adds more playable villains to the mix, as well as a new super heavyweight if his Egg Walker is involved (which it most likely is).

I think he has a VERY strong chance of being in Smash right now. This'll be the Sonic franchise's third entry into Smash, and surely they've given thought to ways of expanding the roster with the veteran IP that are already represented in Smash.

I'd be excited for either Knuckles or Eggman, but I lean towards Eggman, because he has potential for a much more varied and interesting moveset that's less similar to Sonic. Put me down as a supporter, I am totally an Egghead.

defintlynotreal

Smash Rookie
I feel like Eggman has a better chance of being playable than Waluigi. The Mario series has a lot of characters, even is you don't count the spin-offs (Yoshi, Wario, DK). Granted, I'd be happy with either of them.
Personally, I think both Mario and Sonic have a big cast of characters, but in terms of the amount of characters in Smash 4, pretty sure the only other franchise to rival Mario in that field would be Fire Emblem, including Corrin and Roy, while Sonic in Smash is just the main man and no one else. I might add what I say here to my post, but I would also be happy with both Eggman and Waluigi, whether it be one or both.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thanks to this little tyke :4bowserjr: the idea of Eggman seems more possible than ever.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
While I get that they would seem to have similar movesets, I don't see how Bowser Jr. influences the likelihood of seeing Eggman.
Not at all. Just makes Eggman in his pod seems actually possible to me personally as I know Sakurai can pull it off.

My previous Eggman movesets had him in the Walker from Sonic Adventure 2 and that moveset idea got more and more unlikely as time went on and Sonic moved past that idea.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
Yes please. STH is one of my favorite series, but Sonic's playstyle doesn't appeal to me much. I like Eggman and hes more exciting than tails or Shadow. I feel like Jr. stole his uniqueness but he'd be cool, as unlikely as it is.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Hmm....
Seems pretty jokey, especially considering who this is from.

Regardless, I support Eggman. In fact, I actually think he has the best shot out of the Sonic characters, considering how he has all his Badniks and Eggmobiles to be used as Spirits.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Support. He seems like a pretty obvious inclusion and should be at least the 2nd or 3rd Sonic rep.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I can just imagine his Down B being something like, summoning Badniks and stuff but he may just have a minute chance to summon... Heavy and Bomb please god put my Chaotix bros in with him
If Heavy and Bomb become relevant again thanks to Smash Bros then I truly have seen everything.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I'm quite amazed that this thread doesn't have any traction given that I keep hearing about Eggman. It seems like most people I talk to like the idea of Eggman and think he has a decent shot at being playable but yet for the most part he is slept on. I wonder why that is? Personally I didn't consider him or any other sonic character because I didn't think 3rd party characters would get another unique rep, but alas Sephiroth proved me wrong. It has me excited because I honestly have hoped that we'd get another sonic character and the more I think about it, the more I hope it ends up being Eggman.

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Still wish Dr. Robotnik got added to the game after Fighter Pass 1 was completed (With him being thrown in as an apology for Byleth being added)

With him being thrown in as a mech fighter similar to how he was in Smash Bros Lawl- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTUUiq2g9Y

Though maybe give him a different moveset that's not the Smash Bros Lawl moveset since they would have to redo that Final Smash.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Still wish Dr. Robotnik got added to the game after Fighter Pass 1 was completed (With him being thrown in as an apology for Byleth being added)

With him being thrown in as a mech fighter similar to how he was in Smash Bros Lawl- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTUUiq2g9Y

Though maybe give him a different moveset that's not the Smash Bros Lawl moveset since they would have to redo that Final Smash.
I'd prefer Eggman to fight without his mechas if he was playable in Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wouldn't be surprised or upset to see this.
Also, he would be fun.

All around, that is more than I expect in this final character.

Top Bottom