• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Editorial: Top Player Privilege Has To Stop

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
Not going to get into a debate here, but I don't think being late to your winner's bracket match should equal being disqualified from the tournament all-together. They forfeit the set. I understand seeding and it does throw a wrench into loser's... but the purpose of this tournament is for the best man (or woman) to win. There's only going to one winner in singles. This is my opinion.
The point was that if they weren't huge names, they would have been DQ'd. It's disrespectful to the organizers, and those who came to see the game.

If they want to be taken seriously as a professional, they need to show up. That is their responsibility. If you had a job, and you showed up late to an important event, you would be in deep crap. If a professional athlete was late for a game, they would be benched or not allowed to play at all.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
The point was that if they weren't huge names, they would have been DQ'd. It's disrespectful to the organizers, and those who came to see the game.

If they want to be taken seriously as a professional, they need to show up. That is their responsibility. If you had a job, and you showed up late to an important event, you would be in deep crap. If a professional athlete was late for a game, they would be benched or not allowed to play at all.
For this tournament, was anyone else DQed for being late? (Serious question, not rhetorical) I know other tournaments yes, but what about this one? Because if someone did got DQed for being late HERE and then they didn't... that is another story. It is indeed their responsibility to show up though.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
Not sure. I think they were the only ones who were late in the winners bracket.

As a former TO for conventions, I always DQed the late ones, as its disrespectful and unfair to those who did make it on time.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Not sure. I think they were the only ones who were late in the winners bracket.

As a former TO for conventions, I always DQed the late ones, as its disrespectful and unfair to those who did make it on time.
As a TO myself, I'm thankful for never having been put in this issue.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice

But MacD has never fully DQed anyone for being late to one match, regardless of whether or not it was Mango or Hax or some random doofus. He always treats everyone the same. SmashCapps has failed to acknowledge that in any of his responses, despite being pointed out by many people.

Kirbymeister

Smash Cadet
NNID
hazzahbazzah
3DS FC
3823-8971-1294
I agree. We are all equal, and every top player began its journey as an average player.
Same here.
after all, you've got to start somewhere.
as for this...giving pros a "privilege" is just a stupid idea, and shows clear bias. that's not something a TO should want.
I get that people like Mango are good. I respect them for that.
but bending the rules? to me, that's out of the question.

Last edited:

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
If you haven't seen it yet, a few friends and I talk a bit about this issue in my web show. Feel free to add your thoughts :)

Top Bottom