• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Editorial: Top Player Privilege Has To Stop

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
The only reason people are whining about "Top Player Privilege" is only top players were left then. It was a Top 32 bracket for a major in SoCal, the deepest Melee region (and it isn't close) next to the 2nd deepest region (NorCal). Over 80% of the field left is in the MIOM Top 100, and most of the players not on left then probably will be on the next list. 7 of the Top 9 (since PPMD is inactive) of the Top 10 active MIOM ranked players were present. On top of that, every player who got DQ'd got the same treatment (Hax, Mango, and S2J), so nobody got "special privileges" from MacD or the other TO's.

Additionally the 3 DQ'd players (S2J, HAx, and Mango) didn't hold up loser's when they were sent to loser's bracket. Winner's bracket had so many matches and so many BO5's that them not showing up wasn't a problem at all. Loser's bracket was still running faster than winner's bracket without them being there.

MacD additionally is known for punishing players with this indiscriminately, so to call this "top player privilege" is not just a false headline and argument, but slander against his name, as well as Hax's, Mango's, and S2J's names.

You can disagree with the whole "just sending them to loser's bracket for a DQ" premise @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill like many people do. That's all fine and dandy. What isn't fine and dandy is saying this is "top player privilege." Such a statement is ludicrous and deceiving to the readers here, most of whom know next to nothing as to how tournaments are run. @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill and the Smash World Forums writing staff, your exploitation of the general Smash World Forums readerships' ignorance is giving them false negative reception towards Hax, Mango, S2J, and especially MacD, which is very unfair to them, whether that was intentional or not.
This. 100% this.

This article is completely misleading and drumming up people to get mad about an issue that isn't even an issue right now. The privilege would have come into play if they were left in Winners. DQ to losers is completely normal and has been done by TOs across the country for every lever of player for over a decade.
-DD

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
You would generally wait the time a full set going to time would take before DQing someone, and since the entire top 32 was bo5, that would be 40 minutes (5 * 8 min), plus some time allotted for striking/counterpicking. It's fairly reasonable that you could wait 45 minutes before DQing someone from R1 of bracket in this scenario.
Curiosly enough, the tournament actually links to the Apex Ruleset as their ruleset, which clearly states:

"Tardiness will not be accepted. Anyone who is not present for their pool or
bracket by 5 minutes past the scheduled start time, without prior
communication with a Tournament Organizer (TO), is subject to a total
disqualification from the event."

So while I do get a bit on what you're logistically saying technically according to the rules it was a special deal. Not to mention holding up a bracket potenially 40 minutes for a set that could take that long (while unlikely) isn't a good thing.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Curiosly enough, the tournament actually links to the Apex Ruleset as their ruleset, which clearly states:

"Tardiness will not be accepted. Anyone who is not present for their pool or
bracket by 5 minutes past the scheduled start time, without prior
communication with a Tournament Organizer (TO), is subject to a total
disqualification from the event."

So while I do get a bit on what you're logistically saying technically according to the rules it was a special deal. Not to mention holding up a bracket potenially 40 minutes for a set that could take that long (while unlikely) isn't a good thing.
Linking to the APEX ruleset is specifically referring to the game rules, pages 10 and 11 of that document. That ruleset is standard across all major tournaments, while DQ rules, Pool tie-breaking procedures, and the tournament format itself are not.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
I noticed this too over the weekend. I've actually added it to the topic list for my next Pass the Controller show :)

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
men should be addressing the issues as well, not just women. you don't have to be the affected in a problem to write about it.
Well in this issue I could talk a bit about solutions and things that would work being a TO myself and having ran events in the past. I cannot comment on how women would want this issue dealt with since I'm not a woman, and it would bother me personally if I tried to dictate what they would like. Maybe that's a bit silly and I could put down my opinions anyways but it didn't feel right to. Maybe I can bug my wife to write up something from something rather new into the community looking in though, that could be an excellent read.

To comment on a main point in the article - you can't pull out the "results are severely skewed" card. it works both ways. dq'ing top players to loser's means lesser skilled players will have less accurate lower results. dq'ing top players altogether means lesser skilled players will have less accurate higher results.
That is a fair point I wont deny it. I guess either way it CAN skew results, but I'd rather see it skewed in a way where the folks who showed up got a shot at things. Even with the general rule of dqing first from winners and then from losers, they would have BARELY scraped by making it to losers if at all. According to the ruleset of the tournament they should have been 100% DQd after 5 minutes even, though I get TO's discretion is a thing. THOUGH:

Linking to the APEX ruleset is specifically referring to the game rules, pages 10 and 11 of that document. That ruleset is standard across all major tournaments, while DQ rules, Pool tie-breaking procedures, and the tournament format itself are not.
Well... can you point me to the official rule then? If there isn't one that's a whole new problem to add onto all of this. Not even having a strict rule to follow is going to lead to lots of touchiness and bias here and there. If all this article does is make a specific rule for such things happen at every event and followed to the letter for all players I'd be pretty satisfied.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I've TO'd for the Oregon region a while back (super big player, I know. /sarcasm), and my events each successively got more attendees from more cities.

I'll not name names, but in my third or fourth event we got some out of state attendance. Which was super hype! ... Until someone was late for their match. Very late, and without notice. Granted, I didn't know who these people were, if they were a super big deal or not, or what.
What I did know was this: even at the local level, I have had trouble with scheduling, and I needed to make sure things happened when they needed to happen.

This individual failed to show up for his match, and I didn't know when he'd be back (soon enough, and I would have called the other matches in the round and wait up. But I got nothing, so I DQ'd the guy.

Yeah...

So after, he got up in my face (literally) about it. I even got asked "do you know who I am!?" To which, I truthfully responded, "No?"

I've always taken it from the "Respect the TO" perspective. Running events at any level is hard. You need space, time, equipment, and know-how to make something like this work out OK for the people attending. I like the ideas that players need to be respected too. Despite the persisting push back I got online and in person, a rule regarding timeliness has always existed in the rulesets I have proposed. And If I ever graduate and run events again, it will return.

Showing up on time is professional. The NBA wouldn't halt a game if a player was late. It would play on, and they would discuss his reasons, legit or not, in the halftime report. In the case of soccer, which has limited substitutions, being arbitrarily late could cost you the chance to play in the game at all! If we strive to become more professional, we need to act like it. And even if you are attending a 10 man local as the clear favorite to win ten whole dollars, you owe it to the TO and the other players to just... show some respect.

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Showing up late is also very disrespectful towards the TO who is running the event. If you disrespect the TO he was full rights to do whatever the hell he wants. In a tournament, TO is the boss and you will respect him and whatever rules he has set. Just like you can't go yell at your boss in work if you haven't done **** for the last 2 weeks.
If there is top player privilege or not is not that important, just be more strict overall. If people know arriving 5 minutes late without warning is an instant DQ they will make damn sure to arrive on time. If you are lenient people will eventually start to abuse it because who the hell cares.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
"Imagine if this room were only filled with top players. It would be pretty empty."
That line killed my sides. I know what it means, but it's like saying, "If all the average players in this room were removed, almost all the players would be removed!" cx
It's SoCal Top 32 for a National event with over 25 MIOM Top 100 players in the top 32. Everyone in the tournament is a top player. The 3 players sent to loser's bracket all happened to be 3 top players like all the other 29 players left at that point.

People don't realize how many top players there are, especially in SoCal. That region is soooooooooooo good.

My brother's pool at I'm Not Yelling (a NorCal major held a month ago) that had 4 SoCal players in it. The 3rd highest ranked SoCal player in his pool had taken HBox to last stock in 2 of his 4 matches he had played against HBox within the last year, and that was before he switched his main from Luigi to Fox (and had gotten noticeably better). Everyone who goes to SoCal tournaments frequently is basically a top player. That place is like the Coliseum for Melee, where like 1/5th of the world's top talent comes from and/or largely learns from.
If it were anyone else at the TOP 32 of a NATIONAL, even if it were more unknown players like Matt or Rookie, MacD would've done the SAME THING because they deserved it. This wasn't Day 1 Pools, this wasn't Round 1 Doubles. It was the Top 32 bracket.

At least get upset about things that actually deserve to get upset about...
Exactly.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
What about that stupid sexism at Press Start which Liloandstitchface (rightfully) berated them for?

Can we make that front page too? It's kind of incredibly important, because it's not just exclusive to Press Start, or even local tourneys...

http://www.destructoid.com/sexism-and-super-smash-at-press-start-lan-291866.phtml
Man we've had some serious discrimination going on in the community as of late. First that, which I'm going to assume all of us remember, and now this.

What's next? The smashers with autism and severe social disabilities get discriminated against when just trying to play Smash? Yeah, why not just make it high school all over again? (sacasitally speaking, and I know that's not going to happen)

I do agree with this. I shouldn't care who you are, you're too late, you f**ked up. that's all.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
In other words, if you were a TO, would you rather keep a good number of players (thus entertaining the viewers in the process), or would you disqualify half or a quarter of them because they're late?
Guarantee it would never happen again if they were all completely DQ'd

NastyNard

Smash Cadet
It's really a shame that this article was even published. As numerous people have pointed out, the situation was handled perfectly by the TO, and the DQ'ed players were treated exactly the same as anyone else would have been...not to mention the fact that this was day 2 bracket (not pools) and not a single "average" player was left in the tournament to begin with, so that entire side of the argument doesn't even make sense.

Click-bait at its finest.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
What about that stupid sexism at Press Start which Liloandstitchface (rightfully) berated them for?

Can we make that front page too? It's kind of incredibly important, because it's not just exclusive to Press Start, or even local tourneys...

http://www.destructoid.com/sexism-and-super-smash-at-press-start-lan-291866.phtml
I've been wondering the same thing. In fact i think the sexism topic should have come up before this. This article ain't a HUGE topic that needs to be dealt with immediatly. However i do think that the unfair treatment to the female smashers needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. We should be better than that.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Just curious, can this be explained by the writer?
I'm not sure how this is related to the article, but for fun on reddit I ran a contest for folks to see who could most accurately predict the winners side of the bracket last night since I saw so many predictions floating around. I figured it'd be fun to do it in a more structured manner and let everyone have fun. 90 responses too, might do it in the future for other majors.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, i think kicking a player into losers bracket is a fair penalty. That way they can continue running their bracket as intended and won't have to reorganize all the spots in the losers brackets to compensate for missing players. I think forfitting the game is a suitable punishment for any player missing their game, and if they miss their loser bracket game as well they forfit that one and lose fully.

That being said, this tournament was held on mothers day. they probably expected a few dropouts and late entrants, which is why they were ready to drop matches for players. I don't think this had much to do with "top player priviledge". S2J lost the tournament because of being late because he got dropped to losers than pitted against mango. So it's not like they got off scott free. I think people are looking into this much more than they should. It screws over a couple players in losers bracket, but they are probably only missing out on 1 more game they may have advanced. This punishment makes total sense to me.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Treat players equally. Enough said. Why is this so hard to accomplish?
It's hard to accomplish because of fear and/or greed. Not having top players in your bracket means fewer viewers, which means fewer subs/less publicity, which ultimately means less money (greed) and/or less popularity/fame (fear).
there's that, as well as the fact that if something goes REALLY wrong, the userbase around here is much more likely to listen to the top player's story and not the other side.

I have a friend in GA who was a part of a tournament that Hax went to one time. while Hax won the tournament, the TO, who turned out to be a royal jerk, did not give him the prize money he won. now while Hax was justifiably angry about this, what he did was effectively attempt to blacklist the tournament as a whole, nevermind that the local community decided they had enough and the jerk TO went AWOL since.

my friend tried to appeal to Hax on the grounds it was just that TO, but he was still upset about it then... I dunno what happened to that local tourney now, but I hope the situation didn't leave a lasting problem...

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I've been wondering the same thing. In fact i think the sexism topic should have come up before this. This article ain't a HUGE topic that needs to be dealt with immediatly. However i do think that the unfair treatment to the female smashers needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. We should be better than that.
I agree that the sexism discussion is more important, but it's a lot harder to write about. Also there's so many anti-feminism (which is defined "as females being treated equally to males") posts, which is stupid. I don't blame the authors for not wanting hate mail for that.

Lilo got so hate for Tweeting about what she tweeted about, including about how a MC objectified every woman in the venue and sexually harassed a girl for winning a ticket lottery (asking for her phone number instead of her lottery ticket number on a mic everyone could hear).

In fact, Lilo got more hate for those Tweets than Mew2King got for sympathizing with Hitler (I can't make this up; Reddit search it for the archived since deleted Tweets) or accusing MacD of pulling the plug at MVG Sandstor. Lilo has gotten at least 2 threats for just Tweeting about that. This is especially sad since just a few days before that she was hosting and running a stream that raised over $4,000 for charity.

So yeah, the hate for these kind of things is not just unwarranted, it's freaking awful. It sucks because the Smash scene has so many instances of treating Smashers who happen to be female or identify as female terribly, and many people refuse to grow from it. There's still insane amount of objectification of females, general harassment for one being a female, and even sexual harassment that goes unnoticed because of the actions of a few people and the opinion of a sadly high number of individuals that such things should be dealt with privately (with parties that don't give a damn about them) rather than taken publicly... despite Smash tournaments being public events.

Honestly the poor treatment of females is the biggest black eye on the Smash community (especially the Melee community; I'm a Melee first player, and the Melee community's treatment of women is especially awful), and it's something we need to continually address and fix, otherwise we isolate 51% of the human population to the Smash games we love in the competitive environment we crave for (and maybe they crave for too).

===

Edit: Also everyone should read Lilo's 2014 MIOM called "The Voices of the Women of the Super Smash Bros. Community."

Here's one quote from it that is pretty eye opening and pissed me off to immense levels to read (note: I'm gonna censor dodge the use of the r*** word for the greater good).
“The smasher I dated recently who r***d me has been trying to get me kicked out of the community by turning the new region I am in against me. He has told everyone that I am lying about the r**e, has told the venue employees where we normally play smash to not allow me entry, and kicked me out of the smash Facebook groups of the region.” —Anonymous

Last edited:

EnigmaticScarecrow

Smash Cadet
So if a non-top player got DQ'd into losers, would there be a problem? Of course not. It's only bad when it happens to top players. Honestly, I feel you're still showing bias towards top players by talking about how bad them getting sent to losers is, when it wouldn't matter for any other player.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
I think TOs only do this to ensure viewcounts. Thinks about it, if Hax, S2J and Mang0 were all not present at all, the tournament would have been a lot less interesting, I'm sure we can all agree there. That being said, I'm not defending their choice at all, just saying that the smash BRs have made plenty of questionable choices to ensure views rather than take a risk(See 2-stock smash 4)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
But....most TOs won't fully DQ people who made it into the pro bracket. People typically are given 20-25 minutes each unless they are like REALLY HOLDING UP THE BRACKET (which wasn't happening in this case becasue everything was BO5). I know when I run tournaments I never double DQ anyone unless they specifically tell me "I'm leaving" or "DQ me i don't want to play"

This instance isn't a pro-player privilege. It would've been a privilege if they got there and then suddenly the people who "beat" them in winners allowed them to replay their set, such as Sky giving that opportutnity to Dabuz at Apex, or even if the TOs FORCED it to happen. THAT would be pro-player privilege, not...getting punished for being late.

If it were anyone else at the TOP 32 of a NATIONAL, even if it were more unknown players like Matt or Rookie, MacD would've done the SAME THING because they deserved it. This wasn't Day 1 Pools, this wasn't Round 1 Doubles. It was the Top 32 bracket.

At least get upset about things that actually deserve to get upset about...
Mango asked to be DQ'd on Twitter, idk if it was a joke in bad taste or not though.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
In my opinion, I don't really think a player should be immediately disqualified COMPLETELY for being late.
Sometimes the TO of the event calls you up to your match when your outside or using the bathroom of something and don't care to tell you about it when they are out.
If you are in winners and have been playing well, I can see a disqualification for winners being acceptable.
But disqualification for the entire bracket is flat out unfair to people who didn't lose a game yet, as essentially the ones in losers only get removed from one loss instead of 2.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If people want to know why he was late, it seems to be as a result of Mango wanting to visit his mom on Mother's Day and the night before I think he was drinking with Hax who just turned 21.

On the top, I gotta side with the people saying this isn't top player privilege as much as what should be done when someone is late. Top player privilege is a legit issue but after reading the comments here I gotta agree with what people are saying about what the real issue is, what to do when someone is an hour late.

That said, they didn't hold up the bracket, but the results got super ****ed with in losers. This can happen with upsets as well but this isn't an upset. So on that front I can see this being bad for the results of the tournament at the very least.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Reading through these posts, it's pretty clear most people posting comments are uniformed on what is and isn't "top player privilege."

I'm going through all of these comments to hopefully fill in any missing information discussed in the comment section of this blog in relations to the discussion about the DQ'ing situation at Press Start.

In it, I will repeat the same facts over and over again to shed light on the situation. To people getting quoted, Control+F and type your name to find where I quoted you.

Lastly, I must say after the crap MacD had to deal with when Mew2King claimed he was "90% sure" MacD pulled the plug during Melee Grand Finals Game 3 at MVG Sandstorm, I think MacD deserves a lot better than this.
I fully agree with this. Top players shouldn't be exempted from the rules. All participants should be treated equally.
Top players weren't above the rules, and they were punished in the same ways as everyone else. MacD punished players equally by always sending players straight to loser's from winner's if they are late, so long as they don't hold up loser's bracket (which none of the 3 DQ'd players did).
I agree. We are all equal, and every top player began its journey as a average player.
And everyone is punished by MacD, the TO of Press Start, equally. So there's no problem here related to treating one player better than another.
Equality between everyone is one of the top priorities in the world! Better players should not have privileges over average or bad players. Every person in the world is important, no matter if they are bad at a game or NOT!
Nobody got any special privileges that anyone else got in regards to DQ's at Press Start. Everyone was treated fairly in regards to DQ'ing.
All players should be equal regardless of where they stand in the community.
And they were treated equally at Press Start.
Don't get me wrong, they are awesome players, but if they are late, they should be fully disqualified just like everyone else who's late to the tournament.
MacD never fully disqualifies people on the first DQ from winner's bracket. He only does that when they hold up losers' bracket, which neither Hax, Mango, or S2J did.
Treat players equally. Enough said. Why is this so hard to accomplish?
Treating players equally regardless of skill level was accomplished. All 3 players DQ'd for Top 32 got equal treatment to one another. MacD always DQ's players straight to loser's bracket if they're late. You are lying to other people by implying he has ever done otherwise.
That just ain't right.
There was no top player privilege.
Basically, top player player privilege is a necessary evil. Sure, it's not ideal, but it's better than the alternative of completely DQing the players.
There was no top player privilege, and DQ'ing Hax, Mango, and S2J straight out of the tournament would have been top player punishment on MacD's part. He always sends players straight to loser's from winners, and it takes another DQ to warrant their removal, which none of them did anything to warrant another DQ. You are simply painting a narrative that is not the reality of the situation at Press Start. At other tournaments that may be true, but not in this example.
Would the same top players constantly be late as a result of these lax punishments, then I would encourage a rule to be implemented regarding this. But if it is done cautiously as a case by case method, then I am all for it.
DQ'd players in winner's always get sent straight to loser's by MacD (sans exceptions where players announce they can't make it, ask to be totally DQ'd, or they get DQ'd again for holding up loser's bracket). There was no otherwise different punishment from MacD's part.

As for harder punishments, you should apply them to all players if you have them and not just top players. Punishing top players is just as unfair as giving them special privileges in regards to showing up on time. But just be warned: be careful what you wish for. If you DQ a lot of people entirely from a tournament from being late, they might not show up to your tournaments again.
EDIT: To be more on topic, all players should be treated equally, I don't care who you are
MacD always DQ's people from winner's to loser's bracket, so everyone is treated equally.
I would think it's better for viewers and competitors alike that players should be given a second chance with a penalty. Like everyone above me is saying, I think this would have to apply evenly across the board.
Everyone is given the same equal second chance. MacD always DQ's people in winner's holding up the bracket to loser's.
Why fully DQ them?
MacD could, but he's never done it before in tournament. On many levels it would be unfair to these players if he DQ'd fully the first time in this tournament for Day 2 after only DQ'ing people to loser's or from specific matches in Day 1.
then if they are late for the loser's match when called, DQ them again?
They weren't late for their Loser's Bracket matches, so that wasn't an issue. If they were, MacD would have DQ'd them again, this time from the entire tournament.
How long after Mango, S2J, and Hax$ were DQ'd from winnner's were their loser's bracket matches supposed to start?
Neither Mango, S2J, or Hax$ were late enough to hold up the Loser's Bracket. They were on time or early for those matches.
The community really needs less people like you.
Telling someone flat out this for their opinion that doesn't insult people has no place in this community or any community. The community really needs less statements like this.

He's not wrong, although his methods of thinking are a bit odd. DQ'ing Hax, Mango, and S2J into Loser's would be consistent with how MacD DQ's; he's never DQ'd anyone out of a tournament from Winner's without special exceptions or someone being late to Loser's. None of those 3 players were late to their Loser's Bracket matches.
We don't need people who think top players should be given privileges that other players don't simply because people recognize them more so than others. Saying that these players are skilled so therefore are entitled to not be DQ'd is the kind of brand of stupidity you would see from a YT commenter.
He didn't say that, he just said they shouldn't be DQ'd from the entire tournament. He said they should be DQ'd straight to loser's, which is consistent with how MacD always TO's.
It's hard to accomplish because of fear and/or greed. Not having top players in your bracket means fewer viewers, which means fewer subs/less publicity, which ultimately means less money (greed) and/or less popularity/fame (fear).
...This is just Fox News level paranoia right here and completely out of touch with the reality of this situation. I'm not even going to touch this one further, especially since Hax, Mango, and S2J were punished for being late while in Winner's Bracket the same way everyone else was.
You can't throw a match to end up in losers. That's collusion and against all conduct. If dq to losers was allowed, then you can effectively manipulate the bracket by just not showing up, then going through losers
If you thought those 3 players going to Loser's Bracket was collusion, you're nuts. Hax had to face Mango in Loser's Bracket. As for Mango, if he were in Winner's Bracket, he'd play what? 1 or 2 less sets? That's easier, especially since M2K, Leffen, and HBox all would have been sent to the Loser's Bracket before he would have ever had to face them.
You're severely missing the point. Not all players are equal when it comes to skill in a game, but that's not what this article is bringing light to. Why should Mang0 be given special privileges just because he's Mang0?
Mango was given zero special privileges, and was punished the same way everyone else is punished for being late in Winner's Bracket by MacD, and that is being sent to Loser's Bracket. This includes being punished the same way Hax and S2J were, who were also late.
Part of my brain tells me that Privilege is the wrong word but that's probably because Tumblr robbed it of all meaning.

Sucks though.
There was ZERO top player privilege here, unless MacD also granting this sort of DQ policy privilege to everyone else is "top player privilege."
Tbh I think that all players should have a chance if they are late. 10 Minutes = match loss so after 20 minutes they lose the set. However with how late mang0 was it was unfair to have them in the bracket. I believe the same thing happened to ZeRo and he got an exception as well.
Mango (as well as Hax and S2J, all of whom were DQ'd from Winner's Bracket Round 1 to Loser's Bracket) did not hold up Loser's Bracket, so they weren't DQ'd from Loser's. There was no privilege shown there, and it was consistent with the way MacD always DQ.

Zero at the tournament you are referencing from back in January was told several times by the TO's to be ready for a match by several TO staff people (including head TO Sky Williams), and got DQ'd form the tournament. Zero was too into his friendlies to pay proper attention (which is not a good excuse at all and he owned up to it). The venue owner overruled Sky's DQ of him from the entire tournament (how that power dynamic happened I don't know, but I do know no SoCal Smash tournament will happen at that venue ever again), and Zero was sent to Loser's Bracket. Overall Zero's case was more of an issue that happened over and over and over and him not paying proper attention or giving proper acknowledgement as to what he asked for.
Nothing good ever comes from letting specific people bend the rules.
The players that were late all got DQ'd into loser's bracket. Everyone who was DQ'd got the same treatment for not showing up on time for their Winner's Bracket matches.
Either you let everybody show up 45 minutes late or nobody. Period.
And that's exactly what happened. No player was shown favoritism by this. Additionally loser's bracket wasn't held up at all. Whether a player is DQ'd to loser's bracket or from the tournament is up to the TO's discretion, and MacD has always just DQ'd to loser's. So, there was ZERO favoritism shown, and to imply there was is to create a false narrative that slanders MacD's name.
I don't doubt there must have been a good reason for showing up late, but reasons should not be excuses.
They weren't excused and Hax, Mango, and S2J were all sent to Loser's Bracket accordingly to how MacD generally handles things.
If the policy is "You're late, you're DQed" then if you're late, you're DQed.
And that's what happened ("You're late, you're DQed"). Hax, Mango, and S2J were late and DQ'd straight to losers, like what MacD does to EVERYONE that shows up past a few minutes late.
I don't care whether it's the first time you're playing or if you're the second coming of some kind of Smash messiah, all should abide by the same rules in a tournament
And neither does MacD, so long as some extraordinary circumstance didn't happen. So nobody faced any sort of preferential treatment whatsoever in this situation.
M2K, Mango, etc won't be around forever and by doing this we put off the players who could very well one day become the next best. we need to treat one another equally. Its basic morals.
Hax, Mango, and S2J, the 3 players in question, were DQ'd to Loser's Bracket from Winner's Bracket the same way MacD does to everyone else. None of those three held up Loser's Bracket either. MacD showed them no preferential treatment whatsoever, and showed ZERO top player treatment.
Why don't they make it so all players get auto sent to losers instead of instant DQ? Though as a TO myself it feels disrespectful when players are anywhere more then 5 minutes late.
Players holding up Winner's Bracket were auto-DQ'd to Loser's Bracket at any MacD hosted tournaments, including in this example at Press Start for Hax, Mango, and S2J. And yeah MacD felt disrespected for them being late, and I can't necessarily blame him. Having said that, he stayed consistent with what he always does with his DQ policy, which was probably the right call.
I think TOs only do this to ensure viewcounts. Thinks about it, if Hax, S2J and Mang0 were all not present at all, the tournament would have been a lot less interesting, I'm sure we can all agree there. That being said, I'm not defending their choice at all, just saying that the smash BRs have made plenty of questionable choices to ensure views rather than take a risk(See 2-stock smash 4)
The TO, MacD, DQ's people in winner's to loser's every time they are holding up the winner's bracket. If they were late to their loser's bracket sets (which they weren't), they would have been DQ'd out of Loser's Bracket as well.

NightRaid|tAmA?

Smash Cadet
tbh. I feel DQ would be harsh but it more of depends on why they were late. I honestly wanted to see hax and s2j. Another downside to them being late. I would say if you're gonna be late contact the T.O. in anyway possible and the T.O. can go from there ( whether or not DQ'ing them is justified ). Overall Press Start was fun but upsetting

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So you would rather wait 45+ minutes for a match when they could just be DQ'd and have players who actually care about the tournament play? Mang0, S2J, and Hax need to learn to respect the TOs, players, and even the spectators who stay up till 2:00 am to watch some events. They could have at least called a TO and tell them that they were going to be late, this just shows how they didn't care.
Mango, S2J, and Hax were all punished for being late by being sent from Winner's Bracket to Loser's Bracket. 2 of those 3 players didn't finish in the money as a result, including Hax, who had a very strong chance of doing so. This is consistent with MacD's punishment of other players in Winner's Bracket for being late.

As to whether or not they should have been fully DQ'd, that'd be unfair treatment to those 3 players after players from Day 1 faced less stiff penalties. As to whether or not full tournament DQ's should become the standard, that's another question for another topic. But if you want that, be warned that if a TO screws that up and judges a situation wrong, the consequences for their actions are 10 times greater than what they would be for a DQ to Loser's Bracket.

Heck, even bad DQ's to Loser's Bracket causes serious harm to TO's reputation. MLG Anaheim 2014's Melee tournament DQ'd many players from Winner's to Loser's and from Loser's out of the tournament for not showing up ten minutes early (when that wasn't in the rules at all), and even though that was a decision that was reversed, the anger it caused made several attendees vow to never go to an MLG event again. That is a big reason why we have yet to see another Smash event at MLG; because they screwed up badly, and didn't treat the players (or spectators) fairly (plus the commercials for the livestream viewers were awful). So in other words... be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it, and it just might have consequences you didn't intend.
Anyway, I agree. Even if high-level players are good for views and hype, average players almost always have things to show the public that they haven't seen before, and therefore bring the hype as well. Ever thought about why they're low- or average-level players? Maybe because they try insanely cool but risky techniques, or maybe they use rarely-seen low-tier characters, or it could be that there is one thing that they are incredible at but suck at another important thing.
The 3 players in question were punished by being sent to the Loser's Bracket, which is consistent with how MacD punishes everyone in the Winner's Bracket for being late.
Another thing to consider is, what kind of example are top players setting by being 45 minutes late in the first place?
True being late is not ideal or what we want in any players let alone top players. Having said that, it doesn't mean they should be punished extra, otherwise that is making an unfair example out of them (although I am not saying you are suggesting that in any way, shape, or form). If you're going to DQ them from the entire tournament, it should be either for fairness of the people in Loser's Bracket who are going to face monsters early on and get eliminated extra early, or because they were late for their Loser's Bracket set.

While there's a case for the former, the way MacD DQ's is consistent. Consistency is arguably the most important thing when TO'ing. Breaking that consistency would probably not be the right move. For the latter scenario of holding up Loser's Bracket sets, none of these 3 players did that. They were all there well before any Loser's Bracket matches even began.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So if a non-top player got DQ'd into losers, would there be a problem? Of course not. It's only bad when it happens to top players. Honestly, I feel you're still showing bias towards top players by talking about how bad them getting sent to losers is, when it wouldn't matter for any other player.
The point he is making is that they wouldn't get put in Losers. Regular players would be completely left out of the tournament if they did what the top players did.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wait... I'm really confused. A TO single DQs highly seeded players for showing up late to their WB matches, which is a move he would make for any player in such a situation. Thus, he showed that absolutely no one is above the consequences of tardiness.

And this is a display of favoritism? Can someone please explain the logic of this to me?

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wait... I'm really confused. A TO single DQs highly seeded players for showing up late to their WB matches, which is a move he would make for any player in such a situation. Thus, he showed that absolutely no one is above the consequences of tardiness.

And this is a display of favoritism? Can someone please explain the logic of this to me?
Some people think they should have been fully DQ'd like from losers as well.

Cree

Smash Cadet
NNID
NL-Michi
3DS FC
4613-9307-3814
For those who are saying reasons such as, "death in the family" that caused a player to be late I must say this: If they had a death in the family, why in the hell are they trying to play Smash? They have to choose, pay attention to the tragedy or play Smash.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
My apologies, I was under the impression that there was preferential treatment in this regard considering the article. I had no idea that DQ to loser's was the standard

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
"Imagine if this room were only filled with top players. It would be pretty empty."
Yeah, whatever. Everyone who isn't SmashCapps would rather see high level gameplay rather than two low level players who got to the final rounds of the tournament only because the higher level players who they were SUPPOSED to play in bracket were booted for being late to their match. Remind me to never look at SmashCapps' articles ever again.
Yeah, no.
First, I'd like to say that I spend five days a week in a public school and that my opinion should largely be ignored because I am a minor.
Second, wouldn't any lower-level player still have to beat everyone else in the bracket to even get to the final rounds?
Third, when you spend a lot of time in a public school and, like me, are near the bottom in social status, you tend to be able to notice things while people don't know you are there. Everyone tends to favor the popular kids, who are mostly jocks (that is, people who are better at a game than others). The jocks at my school actually have a running joke where, at the end of the year, they pretend to be friends with a "bottom feeder" like me and laugh about it with each other. There is no way that teachers didn't notice this, students treating each other as less than human, playing with their "inferiors'" emotions.
Oh, wait I forgot: this is the Internet and nobody cares.
The point is that I heard those jocks in that comment. What is wrong with treating everyone equally? Giving someone priviliges--because they're really good at a game?
With what I've experienced, I would be more than happy to see "equal" for a change.

Wintry

Smash Cadet
Maybe this is absolute bunk coming out of my mouth, but...

For every 5-10 mins you are late, you lose one game. If you delay for too long, you eventually give the game away (10-20 mins late and you lose a 2/3).

I understand that giving top player privilege means that it draws in viewers and viewers get to see what they came for. But screw them for thinking they can not show up for 45 minutes and still play their game.

DestinNotDustin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5172-3310-2014
@ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 knows his ****.
The rule of thumb for double elimination tournaments is if an opponent does not show up, they are sent to the loser's bracket. If they do not show up for losers, they are eliminated.
45 minutes is a bit much, but the TOs did the right thing. You want to see a player abusing his status, look at Wolfkrone at Final Round 15.

This article makes me question if SmashCapps attends the tournaments he writes about.

EnigmaticScarecrow

Smash Cadet
The point he is making is that they wouldn't get put in Losers. Regular players would be completely left out of the tournament if they did what the top players did.
Are you sure? I know other players getting straight up DQ'd is a possibility, but in my opinion, if were to start only DQing all players from winners instead of the tourney as a whole, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

In other words, I would only take issue with this if the TOs weren't consistent with it.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Regardless of the article's intentions, it's preferred if he at least contact the TO in a respectful manner that he'll be late. It'll probably help quicken the event a bit and not cause all this drama.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Can't tell you how many tournaments I've been to where I had to wait up to an hour for "special" players to show up before the tournament could begin, even with 100+ waiting in bracket. It's disgusting.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Are you sure? I know other players getting straight up DQ'd is a possibility, but in my opinion, if were to start only DQing all players from winners instead of the tourney as a whole, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

In other words, I would only take issue with this if the TOs weren't consistent with it.
That's how i took it. I may have misread so if thats the case then i apologize xD.

But i agree. As long as the TOs are consistant and all players are treated equally and fairly then i've got no issue with it.

Rizner

Smash Ace
If you thought those 3 players going to Loser's Bracket was collusion, you're nuts. Hax had to face Mango in Loser's Bracket. As for Mango, if he were in Winner's Bracket, he'd play what? 1 or 2 less sets? That's easier, especially since M2K, Leffen, and HBox all would have been sent to the Loser's Bracket before he would have ever had to face them.
Sorry if it came off that way, but no that isn't what I was implying.
I'm saying that collusion is banned in tournaments. It's banned, because someone throwing a game in winners ruins the overall tournament placings if they then can run through losers. It's not about the top 1-3 players getting correct placements, it's all of the top 32. This is why collusion is banned, and why DQ'ing a person to losers has the same effect on a tournament that collusion would have, and should not be something which is possible.

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
I get the idea, but I disagree. If you aren't present for a match, you should get dq'd from that match, whether you are top level, mid level, low level, or a casual. But if you are there for the loser's match, then you've already suffered the punishment you deserve, you should get to play. If the bracket has moved on, and you not being there is preventing other matches from being played, of course dq them. But mango showed up during the first round of losers,so its not like there were other matches being held up.

L1GHT

Adventures start At Dawn
having mango in TO can mean the difference of making back the money you paid to have the TO.

Top Bottom