• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edit Meh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
Link to original post: [drupal=1924]EarthBound needs something new..[/drupal]

Theres is hardly any news of the EarthBound series, so its been getting boring without any good stuff lately. Sure, there had been speed runs and marathons of the EarthBound series. Still hasnt been anything new..
I'm still going a EB fan. What do you guys think? Are you feeling like this too?

D

Deleted member

Sorry to tell you, but I thought Earthbound was a very average RPG, I never expected it to have this cult following.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sorry to tell you, but I thought Earthbound was a very average RPG, I never expected it to have this cult following.
In terms of game play, yeah, Earthbound (and Mother 3, what I've played of it anyway) is a very run-of-the-mill RPG. It's the oddball style and story that gave it it's cult following, but whatever. Earthbound is a love-it-or-hate-it RPG anyway.

D

Deleted member

True, the story was quite strange for the early 90's.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I, too, thought that EB was pretty average gameplay-wise. However, I really liked the story/humor. I also really liked the enemy system, mainly, no more random encounters. Also, if you were overleveled, you could just touch an enemy to kill it. It made me happy.

I feel Mother 3 surpassed it in every way. Combo system, story, you could run. My only complaint of the series is that the menu systems suck. But that's not too bad, except when you're trying to get a Lifeup in before your party member's lifebar scrolls to 0.

I think a compilation of all the games for the DS would be nice, but that's just me.

Also: THAT TRASH CAN AT THE BEGINNING OF MOTHER 3 OWES ME A HAMBURGER!

Arbutus

Smash Rookie
I, too, thought that EB was pretty average gameplay-wise. However, I really liked the story/humor. I also really liked the enemy system, mainly, no more random encounters. Also, if you were overleveled, you could just touch an enemy to kill it. It made me happy.

I feel Mother 3 surpassed it in every way. Combo system, story, you could run. My only complaint of the series is that the menu systems suck. But that's not too bad, except when you're trying to get a Lifeup in before your party member's lifebar scrolls to 0.

I think a compilation of all the games for the DS would be nice, but that's just me.

Also: THAT TRASH CAN AT THE BEGINNING OF MOTHER 3 OWES ME A HAMBURGER!
I got really mad at Mother 3. I mean. I loved it to death. But I got all "PLZ TO BE TELLING ME WHY YOU HAVE NOT ARUNNGED ALL MY PSI MOVES INTO GROUPS PLZ." Because I had when sequals decide to change things that didn't need to be touched.

Ugh.

Also "Augh no Duster is dying why is Duster dying, Duster stop dying where's lifeupIcan'tfindyouohthereyouare."
Lucas used LifeupΩΤΣΧΨΡΦΧΩΥΧ
GGTOOLATE. DUSTER'S A LAZY **** AND HAS ALREADY FALLEN OVER.

:[

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Itoi said that he's not going to make any more games in the Mother franchise but if someone else wanted to take it over, he was completely fine with it. As for my thoughts on Earthbound, a little above average and if it weren't for the setting and story, I would have probably rated the game much lower. My biggest complaints were that the battle animations were extremelly limited and the gameplay was repetitive at times.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Earthbound was a slightly-above-average game RPG-wise, but the story behind the game is what gave it the cult following. Itoi's childhood trauma being realized as the game's final boss, the large amount of symbolism and pop culture references, and the game's humor are really what make it special. I'm currently in Blue Blue Town on my first run through and I don't find the game to be incredibly fun. It's enjoyable, but it's really the little things that make it great.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Earthbound was a slightly-above-average game RPG-wise, but the story behind the game is what gave it the cult following. Itoi's childhood trauma being realized as the game's final boss, the large amount of symbolism and pop culture references, and the game's humor are really what make it special. I'm currently in Blue Blue Town on my first run through and I don't find the game to be incredibly fun. It's enjoyable, but it's really the little things that make it great.
Oh, I forgot to mention, the game has a pretty good soundtrack too.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Itoi said that he's not going to make any more games in the Mother franchise but if someone else wanted to take it over, he was completely fine with it. As for my thoughts on Earthbound, a little above average and if it weren't for the setting and story, I would have probably rated the game much lower. My biggest complaints were that the battle animations were extremelly limited and the gameplay was repetitive at times.
I'd heard about Itoi's statement a long while ago. While I'm not specifically hoping for new games, I'd like the old games to be compiled into a DS game or put onto the VC, though I know odds are slim.

And of course the gameplay was repetitive, it's an RPG. :laugh:

The game really picks up past where you are now. I remember my first run through the game and I wasn't really enjoying it until I got past that area. The roadblock gag made me chuckle, though. Also, I can't resist.

Yusaburu

Smash Rookie
Hmm, perhaps the fans need to take things in to their own hands (As if they already haven't done enough to inspire progression of the MOTHER series. xD) and make a game themselves. I'm sure Starman.net could pull off a fan-made sequel.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I believe there was a fangame in the works, though I may be mistaken.

Also, did you guys hear about the Vans Shoe Contest? The EB design won. There was a message on Starmen.net and everyone who went there was allowed to vote for the EB design daily. It blew the competition out of the water, snagging nearly half of the total votes.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yes, yes it is. By today's standards? It's quite mediocre. However, back then, it was quite awesome. It's most likely nostalgia that makes it seem awesome in people's eyes. I, personally, never played it when it was first released, but I still enjoy the game. I do think Mother 3 is it's superior, though.

Besides, who doesn't want to be attacked by a hippy?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd heard about Itoi's statement a long while ago. While I'm not specifically hoping for new games, I'd like the old games to be compiled into a DS game or put onto the VC, though I know odds are slim.

And of course the gameplay was repetitive, it's an RPG. :laugh:
I know it's an RPG but the gameplay is even more repetitive than most RPGs especially since the visuals are so simple, you only get four team members the entire game, and some of the areas (like the inside of the Space Ship) drag on way too long. It's like playing Pokemon Red/Blue and being stuck with the same team the whole game.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I know it's an RPG but the gameplay is even more repetitive than most RPGs especially since the visuals are so simple, you only get four team members the entire game, and some of the areas (like the inside of the Space Ship) drag on way too long. It's like playing Pokemon Red/Blue and being stuck with the same team the whole game.
I haven't played many RPGs, so you'll have to bare with me. I'm used to maybe... 6 party members usual. At least one of them I will hate and never use, so I use the same team a lot anyways XD. But I see your point.

And it's like pokemon and being stuck with the same party the whole game. However, this party can learn more than four moves each member.

Win.

I also like living in a town where the police are going for the world record in terms of setting up road blocks.
I was really angry at the beginning because of being blocked off. It was quickly overcome by the mention of setting a world record. :laugh:

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
That could earn you a infaction. :)
No, it wont, but I can guarantee the things I'd really LOVE to say would.

Seriously, I said Earthbound is overrated, and that's cause for an infraction? How many people on this ****ing forum are under the age of 12 or high out of their mind, holy ****ing ****.

REL38

Smash Lord
Not to sound mean or anything, but I've come to consider it a dead series that has a massive/dedicated following to it.

I, myself, haven't played it, but I've watched Let's Play videos on Mother 3. I've come to appreciate and love the story and characters of the Mother games, but I really don't see much happening to the series since no new games have come out for it.

Unless, of course, Nintendo decides to release the Mother games to the States then maybe something new might happen.

EDIT: Falcon's always picking a fight somewhere lol

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
That could earn you a infaction. :)
Grammar Nazi instincts...taking over...

A New Age Grammar Nazi blocks the path!

A New Age Grammar Nazi corrects your spelling!

Smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash! A New Age Grammar Nazi was beaten.

Party acquired a corrected essay!

And I don't see how that could earn him one, lol.

Edits and stuff: Oh, the series is most likely dead. I doubt any new game/story will arise, I just would really like a compilation, lol.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No, it wont, but I can guarantee the things I'd really LOVE to say would.

Seriously, I said Earthbound is overrated, and that's cause for an infraction? How many people on this ****ing forum are under the age of 12 or high out of their mind, holy ****ing ****.
Man, you've had a rough day. :laugh:What's the drinking age in Canada? Honestly, go out and have a beer if you can. (Actually, that sounds really good right now...)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Man, you've had a rough day. :laugh:What's the drinking age in Canada? Honestly, go out and have a beer if you can. (Actually, that sounds really good right now...)
I don't plan on ever touching beer because I know I'd abuse that stuff the way I did vicodin, but every day I understand why people do it more and more.

bobson

Smash Lord
However, back then, it was quite awesome.
Actually, it was worse then. Earthbound's main merit is its uniqueness, and when it was released, an RPG set in medieval times could still potentially be an interesting premise, so the atmosphere of Earthbound was less of a selling point. As the years went on and JRPGs got staler and staler, Earthbound started shining out as something that wasn't repetitive garbage, and more people took note of it when they wouldn't've before. It became a better game than it was before due to the genre it was in getting worse. That's why it was a failure when it was released but gained such a big following later (Well, that, and emulation allowed a lot more people to play it.).

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It is in every Mother game. In Earthbound, it was used where you first get control of Jeff, that area. I'd assume it's winters, but I'm terrible with names.

Also!

The Summers of Onett, Twoson, Threed, and Fourside is Tenda Village.

Mind = Blown

Edit because I'm slow:

Actually, it was worse then. Earthbound's main merit is its uniqueness, and when it was released, an RPG set in medieval times could still potentially be an interesting premise, so the atmosphere of Earthbound was less of a selling point. As the years went on and JRPGs got staler and staler, Earthbound started shining out as something that wasn't repetitive garbage, and more people took note of it when they wouldn't've before. It became a better game than it was before due to the genre it was in getting worse. That's why it was a failure when it was released but gained such a big following later (Well, that, and emulation allowed a lot more people to play it.).
My main thought was because it didn't use a random encounter system. It also had a scrolling Health Bar and etc etc, though I'll admit, I was probably wrong. I probably got my information mixed up. You sound more well informed than I do, so I'll take your word for it. XD

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
I never got to play EB until earlier this year. So far, I've found it to be repetitive and strangely difficult. I'm only at the traffic jam, btw.
Compared to SMRPG, combat is dull. And very very hard. The trip through Peacful Rest Valley SUCKED :laugh:
My god, that part of the game was unbelievable! I spent so much time powerleveling and reloading parts of the map in hopes of finding magic butterflies...

The redeeming qualities in the game are, as everyone said, the uniqueness. The more modern and jazzish music was refreshing. The modern setting and story (although slightly scifi-ish) was also nice to see, compared to the typical RPG with knights and dragons and chocobos.

I think many EB players would agree with me that Giygas is probably the most interesting character ever conceived.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You encountered the same problem I encountered early on as well. The game is incredibly hard at first, but it's a lot easier when you get the party together. And yeah, that valley ***** me hard.

I gotta disagree on your comparison of the combat to SMRPG. I found that game's combat really dull. I only played it on an emulator, and I had the game on fast forward the entire time until I reached a part that required some more careful jumping. Though EB's combat wasn't a lot better.

Giygas was awesome.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
I never got to play EB until earlier this year. So far, I've found it to be repetitive and strangely difficult. I'm only at the traffic jam, btw.
Compared to SMRPG, combat is dull. And very very hard. The trip through Peacful Rest Valley SUCKED :laugh:
My god, that part of the game was unbelievable! I spent so much time powerleveling and reloading parts of the map in hopes of finding magic butterflies...

The redeeming qualities in the game are, as everyone said, the uniqueness. The more modern and jazzish music was refreshing. The modern setting and story (although slightly scifi-ish) was also nice to see, compared to the typical RPG with knights and dragons and chocobos.

I think many EB players would agree with me that Giygas is probably the most interesting character ever conceived.
EarthBound is not that difficult. I wonder why it's so difficult for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom