• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Yeah, I have basically gone back to Melee. So, I won't be a ton of help going forward.

But I still play Brawl occasionally, and seeing that this board is wayyyyyyyy more lively than any Melee board, I'll see what I can do to help you guys out to make sure that Falcon does not become the bottom of the tier list.

So, I'm starting to think that Falcon's major strength might come from edeguarding. His two major weaknesses or areas of complaint are his lack of priority and his loss of comboing. Falcon never had great priority from my understanding, or at least he didn't in Melee either. So that's a weakness that carries through. Comboing, however, is almost nonexistant in Brawl and really shouldn't be highly complained about. Although I do see that side of things. Falcon does have low priority and needs to combo well to get his hits in. Since he can't combo, he can't really get his hits in. So is there any way to save him?

I think yes. Let me give you a little anecdote.

The other day I was playing against my teammate 'Awe' in Melee. I had recently picked up Captain Falcon and we were already used to Brawl and not Melee, so I was having a tough time. The first time I played him with my Falcon I told him I wasn't great at controlling Falcon's RIDICULOUS momentum and was horrible at comboing with him. But I told him I did seem to have one strength with Falcon--edgeguarding. He was using Sheik that match and for the majority of the match, I was getting pretty badly owned--well, at least on stage.

In fact, I won the match. Not only that, I two stocked him. Not only that, I spiked him three times. The end of the match was as follows: I knocked him off the edge as we both had 100%+ damage with two stocks left (out of four) and I spiked him for the second time that match with a fast-falled d-air. After that, he respawns and comes after me. He knocks me off the edge, I start to recover, he starts to edgeguard between 0-20% and bam!--I Falcon-spiked him, ending the match by two-stocking him.

He admitted to me that he completely owned me on stage, but the second I got him off the stage, I took him out. This might be the case we have with Brawl. Falcon might not be able to combo or get many hits in on stage, but off stage Falcon is and needs to become a complete beast. Falcon is fast--incredibly fast--and he can jump far and recover from long distances (at least in Melee). Use this to spike like never before, knee people off screen when they come back, use b-airs to push people away and learn to gimp like never before. Become experts at using invincibility frames too, because I honestly think Falcon has the potential to make it to at least low tier (sounds inspiring, huh?).

The thing is that in Brawl, not many people worry about recovering. It's pretty easy when compared with Melee. Use this to your advantage. Never make it easy for them to recover. What will end up happening if we can pull this off is something like my match with my teammate. You might get owned on stage, but off stage you need to take advantage of everything you can.

So, let's use this thread here to discuss effecient character-specific gimping methods and the best edgeguarding tools.

Anyone up for it?

Edit: Whoo, my 300th post!

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, there is very little that we can take from Melee and apply to Brawl. Falcon will have a harder time edgeguarding simply by the fact that he has no momentum in Brawl to make him jump really far (nor the moonwalk). Of course, you still ought to try edgeguarding as best as you can in Brawl (especially since you fall so slow, so it's no where near as risky), Falcon does not work out as the best character for the job.

Brutos

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, there is very little that we can take from Melee and apply to Brawl. Falcon will have a harder time edgeguarding simply by the fact that he has no momentum in Brawl to make him jump really far (nor the moonwalk). Of course, you still ought to try edgeguarding as best as you can in Brawl (especially since you fall so slow, so it's no where near as risky), Falcon does not work out as the best character for the job.
Pretty much summed it up. I find my Captain Falcon using more bairs and uairs for edgeguarding. Although Captain Falcon is at a disadvantage with priority I try to make recovery for my opponent as tough as possible.

Top Bottom