• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding fox and falco

Aber

Smash Journeyman
So I'm having trouble edgeguarding fox and falco when they are slightly off stage and above the stage, a situation where they usually firefox diagonally to get the ledge. I try to jab and it always seems to miss, as does f smash. Theres the option to go out and fair them out of the firefox but only if you react quickly......So tell me, what do other ppl do in this situation? Any input is appreciated thanks

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
steal the ledge from them, but they'll eventually start mixing it up

dtilt perhaps, but ultimately if you didn't react fast enough to fair them it's not very safe to try much other than cover their options of recovering onto the stage and instead just accept/force them to the ledge.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I haven't tried it but it sounds like Ftilt. would be a good option because the hitbox starts towards the ledge and then goes up, and if you Fsmash the hitbox starts by your head and comes down. I wanna test this.

Just jump out and don't space the Fair or they will pop up. Jump out there and hit them. The closer you are to them when they firefox the better cause it cuts off any angle they choose.

Jump out and reverse dolphin slash.

If they do get the ledge:
Just make sure your Fsmash can tipper the edge if they get up. This spacing makes it very hard for anyone to get back on stage using any option.
Falco's will try and double laser back on stage. Just counter when that happends.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Fsmash definitely does not miss if spaced/timed correctly. How far from the edge are you standing?
From some starting spots it's the best thing to do since it covers a big arc.

Dtilt will also hit if you stand close enough, and it's really fast so if they go upwards then you have time to catch it with a uair. However if they aim at you, not the edge, you'll get hit. Almost nobody does this by default though, so dtilt is a pretty good first choice.

from what I've seen jab/ftilt/neutral B are not nearly as good at hitting the recovery you are describing.

Lastly yeah jump out there and hit them.

Jonas

Smash Champion
If you just throw out an Fsmash, it basically a wasted opportunity if they decide to recover upwards. Jab SHOULD work if you're close enough and do it at the right time, and you'll still have time to Utilt/Fsmash afterwards if they make you miss by recovering upwards.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I think dtilt is just way better than jab if you just want a low commit option. Or something like sh ff fair.

Jab you probably have to be standing at the VERY edge (like teetering animation) to hit those angles.

I don't like fsmash very much in general, but there definitely are times when it is a good choice. Namely, when you don't overuse it. Recovering upwards is one of the worst options by default.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
How to edgeguard

1. Do an unlaggy attack that has more priority than their recovery.

2. Be ready to miss your attack

3. If you do miss and they go a different direction, be ready and get there faster.

Sear

Smash Rookie
Another way you could mix it up is short hop (or run out) to the spacie and side-b. They drop like a rock and it's really unexpected. From there just double jump fair them when they start fire fox again then up-b to the ledge. If you want to see an example look at Taj's combo video "shadow sword" he does it a ton there

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I like grab edge standup wavedash back onto the edge. Its super effective if they have just a little extra length than they need. No1 ever does that super angle. Also it works sometimes cause if u hold edge, they will go low and try to go straight up.

Top Bottom