• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding examples.

Since a cpu can be repeatedly tricked into doing the same thing over and over again, I thought I'd share my edgeguarding videos with other Sonic mains.
All were done against Lv9 Mario, since I received a challenge of sorts to do that.

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDrfpKr7QJE
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfZ0jhEV0Eo
Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AD5CH2t5MQ

Anyhow if you have comments on how to improve (other then constant rolling, which is standard against CPUs) that would be helpful. I'm just sick of this "low priority, low tier' crap.

Umby

Smash Master
Not that an edgeguarding showcase is necessarily going to solve the issue if "low priority, low tier." Especially when the edgeguarding is done against a CPU.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I agree. That was some pretty good under-platform edgeguarding (lol I usually suicide if I try that, though, I always forget to use the f-air out of spring in recovery), but there were alot of times that, if the Mario had jumped later, used the up-B a little later, used forward B while recovering- that he could have made it back on stage.

Alot of the combos I tested in the Finishing Moves thread work really well against CPU's, but the little windows in the movestrings where opponents can gain control again becomes really apparent vs human players.

Umby

Smash Master
Though I will say, Double Fair off the edge can work a good number of times against a real opponent, I'd say usually after it's been diminished a couple of times.

The point is that just as I intend to hit Mario is just as his jump animation begins. It's timed so that I hit him when the jump animation began.
Yeah, I know it's not a human. Hopefully this weekend (when my brother is able to play the game) I'll be able to get some against human examples. Still the fact that it can be done is the idea that Sonic is not horrible.

Umby

Smash Master
That would mean the fact that Captain Falcon can gimp with a dair would mean he is not horrible.

Which would probably not be true.

It's the fact that Sonic is able to do it to most characters.
I KOed a Pit this morning using these same techniques. It's the point that Sonic is very efficient off the edge and that is where I try to keep my opponents: with me off the edge.
Captain Falcon is a whole other character and his strength isn't playing off the edge like Sonic can. To win with him requires a whole other strategy.

Umby

Smash Master
The real fact is that Sonic's gimping ability isn't necessarily going to be a factor in determining how good he is in people's minds.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's the fact that Sonic is able to do it to most characters.
I KOed a Pit this morning using these same techniques. It's the point that Sonic is very efficient off the edge and that is where I try to keep my opponents: with me off the edge.
I see what you mean. Sonic has quite a bit of maneuverability off-stage, especially with things like Homing Attack, Spring, and Single-jumped Side-B. Really, most people have limited options fighting off-stage. If they do the wrong move *coughIkeNaircough* off-stage, it could mean death. Fighting too MUCH while off stage could mean being left too low/too far to recover. That one moment spent air-dodging could mean missing the ledge and dying. Not to mention that most peoples' goals off-stage is to go toward the stage, so they tend to be a little easier to predict.

Also, nice@hitting him as his jump animation begins. Vs humans, it varies alot, and I usually end up hitting them before they do their 2nd jump, so they usually jump away before the 2nd F-air. I guess that's something to be left to move-reading/mind-games.

Oh well, most people do their fighting based on the ground, and people will continue to look down on Sonic as long as Sonic players' on-platform games are predictable and defeated.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Also, nice@hitting him as his jump animation begins. Vs humans, it varies alot, and I usually end up hitting them before they do their 2nd jump, so they usually jump away before the 2nd F-air. I guess that's something to be left to move-reading/mind-games.
That's what Homing Attack is for. You practically force you opponent into delaying his 2nd jump (if he double jumps, HA will get him). If you position yourself correctly, it doesn't matter whether he uses his 2nd jump or not, the HA will hit either way. That is... unless he airdodge it, but then he WILL become completely predictable on returning to the stage, as he will have to 2nd jump and use his recovery move. Chances are that you'll be able to punish him afterwards.

HA and then Fair during the attack stun = pretty much guaranteed KO against many characters.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol this looks similar to something i made a while ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4NFVTpPKFQ

remember people before you spout your hate (see above poster) these videos are demonstrations of what sonic can do. ive edgeguarded plenty of people during my time playing on wifi, its considerably more harder than CPU's obviously but it IS possible if youre opponent isnt expecting it, especially the d-air below the stage.

lol this looks similar to something i made a while ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4NFVTpPKFQ

remember people before you spout your hate (see above poster) these videos are demonstrations of what sonic can do. ive edgeguarded plenty of people during my time playing on wifi, its considerably more harder than CPU's obviously but it IS possible if youre opponent isnt expecting it, especially the d-air below the stage.
True enough. I don't have recorder since most of my Sonic battles with people go just over 3 minutes and where I trick them into a edgeguard happens part way through the match. So if I happen to get one with a human I'll post it.
kingofwaffles, show a little integrity in your post: I already mentioned it was a demonstration of Sonic's ability, not my skill as a smash player. I know cpu's mean nothing, but the point was the edgeguarding ability, not my skill. So offer something useful instead of a spam post. Your opinion means nothing to me if it helps you feel better.

Iwan

Smash Ace
That would mean the fact that Captain Falcon can gimp with a dair would mean he is not horrible.

Which would probably not be true.
He can't gimp with a dair...his dair is now useless...

hahaha, but i caught your sarcasm anyway :p. Falcon's up air is good for gimping, but even still...too many priority problems.

Which seems to be the problem with sonic, but i will say, i've seen quite a few players be extremely good at gimping off stage with sonic.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
His chasing ability off the stage is one of his massive strong points, and I vouch for the TC that many of the things that have been talked about can apply to players as well when modified to predict DI and airdodging differences.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Interesting vids, just try to get a human vic.. I mean opponent in your future videos ;). Do know that there are alot more ways for Sonic to gimp aside from the examples you see here (just saying in general, i'm not saying this towards the TC).

I've been working on Sonic for quite some time and I implemented a strategy that I don't see any Sonic mains doing at all. Will it change something, maybe or perhaps not you guys will have to wait and see (or discover it yourselves). It's really simple actually, all i'm doing is putting said move to good use. You may have wrote the move off as useless but I found a good use for it and added it to my already beastly Sonic. It can be used for MANY things, and despite popular thinking it could be used against you, you can easily predict what they will do. This will literally screw Olimar mains if used correctly, not even invincibility frames will save anyone from this lol. This will prevent Olimar from taking out any pikmen after stock loss and you can kill him for free as long as you're smart with your pressure game (Requires timing and skill to pull this off, but then again what doesn't in fighting games).

Did I put people in suspense? Yes? Good these boards need to be lively a bit. Kudos for those who find this out, I won't be revealing it yet i promise this is very simple. Well I'll leave you guys in the lab to experiment lol :laugh:. Until next time guys.

Top Bottom